Mass tourism market blamed for degradation of Phuket

webfact

Mass tourism market blamed for degradation of Phuket
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The Senate Standing Committee on Tourism yesterday highlighted a series of issues plaguing Phuket due to the rapid development of the province into a major center for mass tourism in Thailand.

“The growth of the tourism industry in Phuket is the source of many problems at its natural tourist attractions. Land and beach encroachment, as well as air and water pollution, are all serious concerns that affect the tourism image of the island,” Senate Standing Committee on Tourism 2nd Vice-Chairman Pichit Kuandachakupt said.

Gen Pichit went on to point out that vendors harassing and taking advantage of tourists, as well as excessive numbers of beach chairs and umbrellas were also having a negative impact on tourists’ experiences.

Nonetheless, Gen Pichit spoke highly of the province as a whole.

“Phuket has many beautiful natural tourist attractions. It is like a dream destination for both domestic and foreign tourists. Every year it generates a great deal of revenue for Thailand,” said Gen Pichit.

The need to maintain and improve the experience offered to tourists in the province was why the Senate Standing Committee on Tourism dubbed their seminar “Organize Phuket tourist attractions for a sustainable tourism industry”.

The seminar was designed to gather invested parties, government agencies and members of the private sector to barnstorm solutions to the plethora of issues highlighted by the committee, explained Phuket Senator Tunyaratt Achariyachai.

“We need to find a way to maintain a clean and beautiful marine environment to support the activities and main attractions for tourists visiting Phuket,” Gen Pichit said.

In an effort to reduce pressure on the marine environment and the island as a whole, Tourism and Sports Minister Somsak Pureesrisak said that the government needed to shift its tourism goals.

“The current government policies have been focusing on enhancing tourism by making tourist attractions more popular. However, that needs to change. Thailand needs to promote some areas, such as Phuket, for high-end tourism instead,” he said.

The Tourism Minister went on to point out that the dramatic increase in the number of tourists over the years, reaching nearly 10 million last year, was putting pressure on the island, which does not have adequate facilities and tourist services to provide for the rapidly growing number of visitors.

The Minister rattled off a list of issues caused by the increase in numbers, which included inadequate public utilities; traffic congestion in urban areas; over development; beach encroachment; wastewater issues; tourist security issues; inadequate guides and difficulties in uniting concerned parties.

Nonetheless, the Mr Somsak was sure that solutions could be implemented to create a sustainable tourism industry on Phuket.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Mass-tourism-market-blamed-for-degradation-of-Phuket-21327.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-14

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The Minister rattled off a list of issues caused by the increase in numbers, which included inadequate public utilities; traffic congestion in urban areas; over development; beach encroachment; wastewater issues; tourist security issues; inadequate guides and difficulties in uniting concerned parties."

All true IMO. But at the same time TAT will be proudly presenting higher tourist numbers.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

they let the same happen to patts.back in the 80's it was great,but its make make and make,went back to phuket 2008 never again the hasle from the centara hotel karon from taxi and tuk tuk drivers,i wonder what samui is like that was the same in the 80's just great but havnt been back,as long as everyone is on the make or take nothing will change.

• Like 1

Hi end tourism don't go to Phuket. They go to Miami, Caribean island, Hawaii, etc. High end tourists don'deal and haggeling with tuk tuk drivers. In Hawaii they can sit for 20$ in a Stretch Limo, from air port to Waikiki.

Yes they do, quite a few high end resorts on the island.

• Like 2

In general, it seems to me they have allowed Phuket to be degraded to the point that it is now a "low end" tourist destination, and low end tourist destinations attract low end tourists.

What has surprised me, is the speed at which it has happened.

In general, it seems to me they have allowed Phuket to be degraded to the point that it is now a "low end" tourist destination, and low end tourist destinations attract low end tourists.

Agree about the low end' tourists.

Not agree about the speed. Taken 20 years to get here. And much can be blamed on lack of investment in infrastructure and lack of good policing of tourist concerns - scams and the like.

• Like 1

They seemed to forget the TUK TUK Mafia, Sea-Doo Mafia, tourist safety (how many innocent people were mugged and killed there last year?). Talk is cheap!

Actually read the article. It's not the tourists as such being blamed. And they haven't forgotten tourist safety: "The Minister rattled off a list of issues caused by the increase in numbers, which included inadequate public utilities; traffic congestion in urban areas; over development; beach encroachment; wastewater issues; tourist security issues; inadequate guides and difficulties in uniting concerned parties."

Agree about the low end' tourists.

Not agree about the speed. Taken 20 years to get here. And much can be blamed on lack of investment in infrastructure and lack of good policing of tourist concerns - scams and the like.

I understand what you are saying in regards to the 20 year figure. I would suggest that tourism has become more low end here within the last 3 to 4 years, and it's the speed of degradation in those recent years that has surprised me. Currently, that degradation has gained so much momentum, I can't see it being stopped. It has changed the demographics of the tourists coming here.

Even looking at your 20 year figure, it seems so short when you start talking about tourism to places like London, Rome and Paris. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing a tropical island in Asia to capital cities in Europe. Just highlighting how short 20 years is in relation to global tourism.

How do you lose a major market, like the Europeans, to the Chinese and Russians, in such a short time????

The lower Phuket goes, the lower the Chinese and Russian tourists will be. I suspect, that will speed up significantly in the near future, whilst continuing to lose whatlittle European market is left here.

We know many Thai's got rich here, over this 20 year period, but at what cost?

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Hi end tourism don't go to Phuket. They go to Miami, Caribean island, Hawaii, etc. High end tourists don'deal and haggeling with tuk tuk drivers. In Hawaii they can sit for 20$ in a Stretch Limo, from air port to Waikiki.

Actually quite a few very exclusive resorts here - Aman properties for example

I agree, there are some high end resorts here, but the people who go to them, rarely venture outside of the resort itself, because they know the BS that is awaiting them outside the front gate.

All the money is spent inside the resort. Hardly good for local businesses.

• Like 1

Clue: make a work permit in Phuket for all Thais, then make "oiluce mafia" check here and there, no lPermit or no Job = expulsion & very heavy fine say 10,000 Bahts. This will remove a LOTS of unusefull touts and thieves out of the island.

Problem solved.

Actually quite a few very exclusive resorts here - Aman properties for example

Yes, that's what I said (or tried to see, on rereading I see that my comment could be interpreted differently).

Edited by stevenl

I understand what you are saying in regards to the 20 year figure. I would suggest that tourism has become more low end here within the last 3 to 4 years, and it's the speed of degradation in those recent years that has surprised me. Currently, that degradation has gained so much momentum, I can't see it being stopped. It has changed the demographics of the tourists coming here.

Even looking at your 20 year figure, it seems so short when you start talking about tourism to places like London, Rome and Paris. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing a tropical island in Asia to capital cities in Europe. Just highlighting how short 20 years is in relation to global tourism.

How do you lose a major market, like the Europeans, to the Chinese and Russians, in such a short time????

The lower Phuket goes, the lower the Chinese and Russian tourists will be. I suspect, that will speed up significantly in the near future, whilst continuing to lose whatlittle European market is left here.

Some "major market" European countries are having their financial difficulties now. Add reduced exchange rates to that, and Phuket is no longer a cheap place to holiday. Lots of Chinese and Russian tourists come on package tours which are affordable to them. Euros are more experienced and independent travelers.

I don't think Phuket lost that market (i.e. gave up on them) as much so as that market just finds cheaper holiday destinations. At least for the time being.

• Like 1

While the tourists may be the catalyst, not one problem listed was/is not caused directly by certain Thais,their greed, corruption and lawlessness. While it seems the good general is not placing blame other than on the growth of tourism, I wish he or someone would come right out and say just what I said. You cannot solve a problem until you identify it's root cause.

• Like 1

Some "major market" European countries are having their financial difficulties now. Add reduced exchange rates to that, and Phuket is no longer a cheap place to holiday. Lots of Chinese and Russian tourists come on package tours which are affordable to them. Euros are more experienced and independent travelers.

I don't think Phuket lost that market (i.e. gave up on them) as much so as that market just finds cheaper holiday destinations. At least for the time being.

Sure, the financial woes of Europe, and the exchange rate, would effect some of the holiday market.

Hua Hin is attracting a lot of Europeans now - I guess they are the ones that Phuket used to have, lost, and now want back. :) :) :) :)

If only the farang would come here, drop off a few thousand Baht then go back home!! Am waiting for the blame to be aimed directly at us

That is just not going to work. Pesky tourists are all to blame for the Tuk Tuk and Taxi and Jet Ski issues and for all of the encroachment, and for the total lack of planning, and for the faulty wiring electrocuting people, and for all the other problems. It all falls on the shoulders of those insensitive tourists coming to Phuket. If the tourists had any class or empathy for Thainess, they would stay home and just wire their money to Phuket.

Edited by unanimosity
  • Like 1

If only the farang would come here, drop off a few thousand Baht then go back home!! Am waiting for the blame to be aimed directly at us

That is just not going to work. Pesky tourists are all to blame for the Tuk Tuk and Taxi and Jet Ski issues and for all of the encroachment, and for the total lack of planning, and for the faulty wiring electrocuting people, and for all the other problems. It all falls on the shoulders of those insensitive tourists coming to Phuket. If the tourists had any class or empathy for Thainess, they would stay home and just wire their money to Phuket.

Damn tourists, they're just like vermin biggrin.png

Edited by lostmebike
  • Like 1

I took a party of Australians from Phuket to the Simillan Islands and around Phang Na Bay, last February by yacht.

They won't be coming back to Phuket because of:

1. Exorbitant National park fees at both places. Up to ฿400 per person per day, on top of their holiday costs.

2. Dreadful pollution on every beach we stopped at over a two week period

3. A constant stream of plastic waste in a direct line, returning from Simillan islands. Not just on the surface but as deep down as one could see.

4. Unpleasant, mafia like checks that they had paid the NP fee by rude thugs.

5. Far too many tourists at the normal beauty spots like Koh Hong and other islands.

From now on we will only consider cruising in Burmese and Vietnamese waters.

• Like 1

And when walking back to their hotel in Kata they wouldn't hold onto their handbag and get stabbed in the heart. They would just give their money away so that the would be murderer could pay his ฿200 bar bill.