The Ashes Tour 2013

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeez,if stokes had have been given she was all over.facepalm.gif

Australia will be disappointed they lost that game.

I was to stay up and see us lose from a position where we shouldn't have.

Hope Lehman is looking for another keeper back home.World class keepers dont drop sitters.sad.png

• 3 weeks later...

Heat on DRS as Nine axes Hot Spot infrared tool for Ashes

Six weeks out from the first Test against England in Brisbane, it has emerged the controversial infrared camera technology has been sidelined by the series' broadcaster Channel Nine.

Advertisement

Hot Spot's Australian inventor Warren Brennan confirmed on Wednesday the decision-review device, which uses heat readings to analyse whether there has been contact between the ball and the bat and pads, would not feature in the showpiece five-Test series.

''It's their decision and that's what's been communicated to us. As far as I'm concerned, it is final,'' Brennan said. ''We're just moving on with things. Channel Nine have got a new deal with Cricket Australia which I know has cost them a lot more money. I gather there had to be some restructuring of costs.''

See Full Article Here

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Other Johnners clasics include:-

"Ray Illingworth has just relieved himself at the pavilion end."

"Welcome to Worcester where you've just missed seeing Barry Richards hitting one of Basil D'Oliveira's balls clean out of the ground."

"Playing against a team with Ian Chappell as a captain turns cricket match into gang warfare."

"On the first day, Logie decided to chance his arm and it came off.”

"The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey.”

"There's Neil Harvey standing at leg slip with his legs wide apart, waiting for a tickle."

A great commentator, sadly missed.

Ashes 2013: England arrive in Perth

The English cricket team enjoyed a low-key arrival in to Perth early on Friday morning ahead of the upcoming Ashes series.

The current holders of the urn touched down at 1.30am, minus star batsman Kevin Pietersen, with a small crowd consisting to greet them.

They will have Friday off and then will train at the WACA Ground on Saturday and Sunday ahead of their three-day tour match against Western Australia starting on Thursday.

Pietersen is expected to arrive in Australia on Sunday, having been granted compassionate leave following the death of a friend.

Advertisement

He will travel to South Africa, his country of birth, where he will spend one day with friends before joining his teammates in Perth.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ashes-2013-england-arrive-in-perth-20131025-2w534.html

This week to mark the 150th anniversary of Wisden Cricketers' Almanack, they have released the
all-time Test World XI.

I realize it's subjective and from the UK, but Alan Knott before Adam Gilchrist...<deleted>!

Knotty IMO, no doubt a better keeper, but Gilchrist was a game changer.

A real clanger IMO.

Two other changes I'd make are Brian Lara for Tendulker at 4 and Dennis Lillee

for Malcolm Marshall.

Also, WG Grace's average seems a tad low to be included.

Any thoughts?

WISDEN WORLD XI:

1. Jack Hobbs (England, Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1909) 61 Tests, 5,410 runs at 56.94
2. W. G. Grace (England, CY 1896) 22 Tests, 1,098 runs at 32.29
3. Don Bradman (Australia, CY 1931, capt) 52 Tests, 6,996 runs at 99.94)
4. Sachin Tendulkar (India, CY 1997) 198 Tests, 15,837 runs at 53.86
5. Vivian Richards (West Indies, CY 1977) 121 Tests, 8,540 runs at 50.23
6. Garry Sobers (West Indies, CY 1964) 93 Tests, 8,032 runs at 57.78, 235 wickets at 34.03
7. Alan Knott (England, CY 1970, wkt) 95 Tests, 4,389 runs at 32.75, 250 catches, 19 stumpings
8. Wasim Akram (Pakistan, CY 1993) 104 Tests, 414 wickets at 23.62
9. Shane Warne (Australia, CY 1994) 145 Tests, 708 wickets at 25.41
10. Malcolm Marshall (West Indies, CY 1983) 81 Tests, 376 wickets at 20.94
11. Sydney Barnes (England, CY 1910) 27 Tests, 189 wickets at 16.43.

This week to mark the 150th anniversary of Wisden Cricketers' Almanack, they have released the

all-time Test World XI.

I realize it's subjective and from the UK, but Alan Knott before Adam Gilchrist...<deleted>!

Knotty IMO, no doubt a better keeper, but Gilchrist was a game changer.

A real clanger IMO.

Two other changes I'd make are Brian Lara for Tendulker at 4 and Dennis Lillee

for Malcolm Marshall.

Also, WG Grace's average seems a tad low to be included.

Any thoughts?

WISDEN WORLD XI:

1. Jack Hobbs (England, Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1909) 61 Tests, 5,410 runs at 56.94

2. W. G. Grace (England, CY 1896) 22 Tests, 1,098 runs at 32.29

3. Don Bradman (Australia, CY 1931, capt) 52 Tests, 6,996 runs at 99.94)

4. Sachin Tendulkar (India, CY 1997) 198 Tests, 15,837 runs at 53.86

5. Vivian Richards (West Indies, CY 1977) 121 Tests, 8,540 runs at 50.23

6. Garry Sobers (West Indies, CY 1964) 93 Tests, 8,032 runs at 57.78, 235 wickets at 34.03

7. Alan Knott (England, CY 1970, wkt) 95 Tests, 4,389 runs at 32.75, 250 catches, 19 stumpings

8. Wasim Akram (Pakistan, CY 1993) 104 Tests, 414 wickets at 23.62

9. Shane Warne (Australia, CY 1994) 145 Tests, 708 wickets at 25.41

10. Malcolm Marshall (West Indies, CY 1983) 81 Tests, 376 wickets at 20.94

11. Sydney Barnes (England, CY 1910) 27 Tests, 189 wickets at 16.43.

Don't know how Alan Knott got the nod really. Far better choices available.

W.G Grace. That one is a bit of a loopy inclusion IMO.

Tendulkar I agree with. Lara could be an inclusion but not at the expense of Tendulkar.

Marshall? Great bowler. Difficult choice really...could be any one of a dozen worthy quicks.

Murali is a tough one to miss out also

Given that the accepted wisdom is to have just the one all rounder in a team, then Sir Garry is the obvious choice.

Test averages:-

Sobers: bat, 57.78; ball, 34.03; catches, 109 in 93 tests averages 1.117.

Botham: bat, 33.54; ball, 28.40; catches, 120 in 102 tests averages 1.118.

Ok, Botham has the better bowling average; but Sobers' far superior batting average, IMHO, puts him ahead.

Alan Knott was a brilliant keeper and impovising batsman and WG Grace is WG Grace and an all time character. Both deserve their slots I would substitute Lara for Tendulka, as well.

An interesting snippet about WG Graces older brother Edward Grace. He took 5 wickets in an innings 17 times in first class Cricket.

All of those were done bowling underarm

Given that the accepted wisdom is to have just the one all rounder in a team, then Sir Garry is the obvious choice.

Ok, Botham has the better bowling average; but Sobers' far superior batting average, IMHO, puts him ahead.

Gary Sobers didn't smoke weed or get pished on tour off tour or during a lazy day in somerset,so that puts Beefy way ahead IMHO.

• Like 1

Gary Sobers didn't smoke weed or get pished on tour off tour or during a lazy day in somerset,so that puts Beefy way ahead IMHO.

He was certainly a character.

Sobers would be a worthy inclusion though

In picking such a team do you want the best players onfield, or the most characterful off?

The conclusion of The Greatest All Rounder of all time – Sir Garry Sobers or Sir Ian Botham? by Aditi Chaubey

However, for me, Sir Garfield Sobers will always be a notch higher. Simply because there was not a thing left in cricket that he could not do and end up excelling in it. The self belief, the confidence that he radiated led him and his team to a pedestal, which in those days was not a mean feat for a nation like West Indies to achieve. He left the West Indian game richer.

On being asked on what he felt like to be compared to the likes of Sir Garfield Sobers, Sir Ian Botham replied that it was an honour for him to even be deemed worthy of being compared to Garry Sobers. I rest my case.

As an Englishman it may cause me a small pain to agree, but agree I do.

I never said Beefy to be in place of anyone anyway, why the <deleted> you are taking the time to make an argument out of nothing is beyond me.

The whole world Xl could be different.The only thing any of them have in common was that they won the wisden cricketer of the year ...

And yes characters are deffo needed ,characters that can play a bit ,well,what more do you want?

Alan Knott was a brilliant keeper and impovising batsman and WG Grace is WG Grace and an all time character. Both deserve their slots I would substitute Lara for Tendulka, as well.

An interesting snippet about WG Graces older brother Edward Grace. He took 5 wickets in an innings 17 times in first class Cricket.

All of those were done bowling underarm

Just an English Trevor Chapell....! wink.png

Picking an all time world eleven is virtually impossible although there are four I would say are shoo-ins because they were the best at what they did.

They would be Bradman, Sobers, Warne and Gilchrist ..... and of course Boycott! biggrin.png

On the all rounder front one player is forgotten.... Jacques Kallis. Whilst statistically Sobers (+23- is rated as the best Kallis (+22)is only just below him. The only other who has a double figure rating is Imran Khan (+14). Shaun Pollock is next (+9) followed by Botham and Hadlee (+5)

Kallis is also the second highest outfield catcher in Tests after Rahul Dravid.