complain from my friend on puhket vs pattaya

Cheapcharly

Which tourist trap is better? I dunno.

There's no shortage of great beach towns in Thailand. Ones that most people on this forum have probably never heard of.

But I guess some people like to go live in the popular tourist places, then complain about the things that go along with being a popular tourist place.

Hua Hin is nice.. but it's slowly getting overwhelmed too. Some places in Krabi are all of the good of Phuket, with none of the bad..

If you want to work, live in Bangkok. The vast majority of it is non-touristy. It doesn't have beaches, but hey, Pattaya doesn't really have beaches either.

Phuket has certainly changed over the last 10 years or so. Back then there were fare fewer cars and houses, the beaches were mercifully devoid of sun loungers, it was safe to walk the streets at night as well as the daytime and it was possible to walk over the hills from the airport to Kata Beach. Now that walk is not possible as there is barbed wire fencing and developments even high up in the hills. The beaches are full of sun lounge pitches where various gangs of locals vie for the 200 baht per lounger per day and for tourists to come to their pitch. In many more areas of Phuket and especially in the very South it is increasingly dangerous, with thieving and assault on the rise. To cap it all the roads are so clogged with traffic you could be in central London or New York. What used to be a 45 minute journey from Rawai to the Airport is now (depending on time of day) anything up to 1 hour 45 minutes - especially if one has to go through the Chalong Circle.

On the cost front if one stayed in a 1 room hovel (Thai style) and ate off the roadside stalls, walked to the beach and spent most of the time on the beach perhaps drinking 2 beers each day the monthly cost would be about 10,000 - 12,000 baht. To live in reasonable comfort say in a small 2 bedroom villa (20,000 baht per month) with electricity, internet and water (5,000 baht per month) and to eat and drink in some of the nicer restaurants and to shop in Villa Mart or TOPS (say on average 1,500 baht per day = 45,000 baht). Total cost of middle of the road living would be about 70,000 baht per month. I know many friends in Phuket who spend much more than this, especially those with wives, girl friends and children at school. Even many friends who are single and rely on the comforts of the entertainment professionals still spend more.

Have not lived in Pattaya but have heard it said that Phuket is the most expensive Province in Thailand.

I have lived in Hua Hin, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pattaya, Ao Nang Krabi, Koh Lanta and now Phuket. Can confirm that Phuket is the most expensive of all these places.

I have lived in Hua Hin, Chiang Rai, Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pattaya, Ao Nang Krabi, Koh Lanta and now Phuket. Can confirm that Phuket is the most expensive of all these places.

I agree. Phuket is the most expensive.

You pay top dollar to live/holiday here, and get second rate facilities, that seem to be getting worse, in return.

Phuket is fast losing what little value for money it had.

Certainly, your quality of life/holiday is effected by the lack of infastructure and the corruption.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

if I had to chose another place than pattaya or puhket. I think i would go to yuahin.

a few hours of bkk

beach is beautiful and clean

been only 2night in yuahin and like it.

that s the nice thing when u rent... u go where you lady goes. or ladies go:-)

Edited by Cheapcharly

When I came to Phuket I used to wish for a few more foreigners and a few more bar girls from Pattaya and few more guys living here in those days Kata had 3 foreigners and Patong about 10 guys in Phuket town about 4 guys ..

What year was this?
11 BC
  • Like 2

ya bunch of heathens for those of us who worship da waves Phuket has real surf real waves Pattaya is Pathetic..

Well that's just wonderful c_c42 but I don't think it addresses the OP's problem.

I don't think anyone here was considering "those of (us) who worship da waves".

Might want to pull your head out, if for no other reason, just to reread posts #1 and #3 again.

Edited by Dap

Phuket's a popular place to live, like London. There's a local economy all of its own making, built on the basic premise of supply and demand.

Two choices available - live in Phuket or live in Pattaya. It's an economical decision and you've either got it [funds] or you haven't.

If their English is really good, and by that I mean literate, being able to read and write English proficiently and speak clearly on the phone then 50k a month in Bangkok is available.

Just saying. If you have professional skills then go the big smoke. Who cares what people in the tourist areas are earning? It is the same the world over. People want to work in tourist areas for the lifestyle so they will accept less money. In Oz look at the Gold Coast, Cairns ...

Edited by sfbandung

Khao Lak is even more expensive. I always advise tourists rather to go shopping in Phuket, if they don't intend to spend time in Bangkok on the way back. There is not much of a population here, so practically all the restaurants have tourist prices. Oh well, it feels kinda high class to have settled in the most expensive place in the country.

This really is old... I'm sure you will get people saying that they couldn't live in [insert destination] for under a million baht a day! Prices... it really depends on your local knowledge and expectations. I once asked a guesthouse how much for one of their rooms. A Thai woman told me 20K / month and that I would have to be crazy to think their was anything cheaper. Of course, they are now long gone. I know of a few people renting houses for less than 10K / month, right now. Even on the beaches you can get rooms for less than 2K / month, not desirable but possible.

Khao Lak is even more expensive. I always advise tourists rather to go shopping in Phuket, if they don't intend to spend time in Bangkok on the way back. There is not much of a population here, so practically all the restaurants have tourist prices. Oh well, it feels kinda high class to have settled in the most expensive place in the country.

i usualy just drive by khao lak but last time i stopped at a sea side resort. Seemed 4 star at least. Beach front fancy restaurant.

Cost me about 80% of the price it would of cost me in a regular restaurant in phuket town and we did order fancy food.

I do not know how it is in your home contry, but in Denmark

you pay more for a home in a good area with stunning mountains,

lovely beaches and wonderful sea, and wages are usually a little

higher in disse areas and the food a bit more expensive.

So you get what you pay for, I think, and the same with Phuket

and Pattaya, I would never be in doubt about whits location I

would choose, and if that means I have to pay a small Amounts

more for a few things, I will do it as I have come to Thailand

for the beautiful scenery.

but I will just conclude by saying that

prices of food and vegetables in general are the same on local market

both in Pattaya, Phuket and a small dusty village in north-east Thailand.

and by the way, my wife hat 15000THB in starting salary and will then

increase two 23,000 after 3 months to sit and take phone in an office, and I

also know several massage places where they earn minimum 10000THB

in low season and 20,000 in high season, and 15000THB to work

in a resturant incl. free food and drink, 13,000 to 20,000 THB in language

schools, this is the wages I know of here in Phuket, and I know many men

and women from the north east Thailand which really want to go here to

Phuket to work because of the good salary and the lovely scenery.

Continue to hav good day all of you out there. wai2.gif

"but in Denmark

lovely beaches and wonderful sea"

When did they get mountains in Denmark? Last I checked the highest point in Denmark was a hill less than 200 meters high located in the middle of nowhere, so can't imagine property prices being high in that area?

Edited by monkeycountry

i usualy just drive by khao lak but last time i stopped at a sea side resort. Seemed 4 star at least. Beach front fancy restaurant.

Cost me about 80% of the price it would of cost me in a regular restaurant in phuket town and we did order fancy food.

Me and my wife are in Khao Lak this month, and usually we are resident in Phuket but everything especially food is expensive here 15-30 THB more here compared to in phuket and much less food for the money, and it is even though it is low season .

I do not know how it is in your home contry, but in Denmark

lovely beaches and wonderful sea, and wages are usually a little

higher in disse areas and the food a bit more expensive.

So you get what you pay for, I think, and the same with Phuket

and Pattaya, I would never be in doubt about whits location I

would choose, and if that means I have to pay a small Amounts

more for a few things, I will do it as I have come to Thailand

for the beautiful scenery.

but I will just conclude by saying that

prices of food and vegetables in general are the same on local market

both in Pattaya, Phuket and a small dusty village in north-east Thailand.

and by the way, my wife hat 15000THB in starting salary and will then

increase two 23,000 after 3 months to sit and take phone in an office, and I

also know several massage places where they earn minimum 10000THB

in low season and 20,000 in high season, and 15000THB to work

in a resturant incl. free food and drink, 13,000 to 20,000 THB in language

schools, this is the wages I know of here in Phuket, and I know many men

and women from the north east Thailand which really want to go here to

Phuket to work because of the good salary and the lovely scenery.

Continue to hav good day all of you out there. wai2.gif

"but in Denmark

lovely beaches and wonderful sea"

When did they get mountains in Denmark? Last I checked the highest point in Denmark was a hill less than 200 meters high located in the middle of nowhere, so can't imagine property prices being high in that area?

The point is that you in Denmark pay more to stay

in an atractive natural area instead of the opposite,

which I am sure is the case everywhere else in the world.

So again you get what you pay for, but it is obviously

a matter of taste what is a lovely area and not, but from

media, it is quite clear that Phuket has a more appealing

nature as Pattaya have.

in puhket my friend looked for a room, was 17000b per month.

then she found a room near central shopping mall for 3000b.but there there is no much., no internet shop, no bats bus....

she moved back to pattaya just a few days later and got a big room for 3000b with all amenities around. bus, tuck tuck, big c and tesco, shoping mall, swimming pool, tennis court, 7/11,food store, restaurant for thai and farangs, KFC, plus a job 3 km away where she has many things too like 711, food store...cinema and beach just 3 to 6km away. .

and she has her own place where she can cook at work and has internet access 24h/day.. she make not a lot but she got a comfortable life.

problem of pattaya is yaba and traffic, but I think it s the same now in puhket. no?

in puhket my friend looked for a room, was 17000b per month.

then she found a room near central shopping mall for 3000b.but there there is no much., no internet shop, no bats bus....

she moved back to pattaya just a few days later and got a big room for 3000b with all amenities around. bus, tuck tuck, big c and tesco, shoping mall, swimming pool, tennis court, 7/11,food store, restaurant for thai and farangs, KFC, plus a job 3 km away where she has many things too like 711, food store...cinema and beach just 3 to 6km away. .

and she has her own place where she can cook at work and has internet access 24h/day.. she make not a lot but she got a comfortable life.

problem of pattaya is yaba and traffic, but I think it s the same now in puhket. no?

Yes if I had to pay 17000THB I should certainly also have something more than just one room my friend facepalm.gif but I could also just pay 10.000THB for a whole house, this one example: http://phuketrenthouse.com/7990/phuket-city-townhouse-3-bedrooms thumbsup.gif

Nice and quite area for living , Beautiful house, easy assess to airport, bus station , local food market, big shopping Mall, Gym near by, Big Local Garden near by, In front of Daoroog Vidhylay School, 24 hrs securities.

Every thing easy avail. Best water supply, wireless Internet, water heater, TV, cable tv on demand, fridge, kitchen equipped, 2 cars parking, community pool, 3 Gardens walking distance. biggrin.png

You pay top dollar to live/holiday here, and get second rate facilities, that seem to be getting worse, in return.

Certainly, your quality of life/holiday is effected by the lack of infastructure and the corruption.

Hi all veterans of phuket,

Which place in thailand have equally nice beaches and lower cost of living, i would like to learn from you guys.

Please kindly share....i'm interested to know.

A Simple guy looking for nice beaches.....for some snorkerling, fishing catch&release, lazing by e beach, cheap thai food.

Can PM me.....can treat you guys simple lunch/dinner, coffee, ciggie no problem.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Hi all veterans of phuket,

Which place in thailand have equally nice beaches and lower cost of living, i would like to learn from you guys.

Please kindly share....i'm interested to know.

A Simple guy looking for nice beaches.....for some snorkerling, fishing catch&release, lazing by e beach, cheap thai food.

Can PM me.....can treat you guys simple lunch/dinner, coffee, ciggie no problem.wai2.gif

Rawai. :) :) :) :)