Elevator(lift) Safety

Just out of curiosity do those subscribers to this forum know the safety procedure ,in the event of a power outage ,in their condo?

Do condos have back –up generators to cover this?

Are safety procedures clearly displayed ?

I suspect that in the condo where I live it is all absent.

Before I approach the management I would like to hear from those condos that have procedures in place.

Yes, they have back up generators that power the lifts, or at least one of the lifts.

They should display the evacuation plan in the event of a fire, which means using the

stairwells not the lifts.

What happens if all the people are stuck in the other lifts?

The lifts should do a gravity braked descend to the lowest floor.

Of course that's 'should'. Last time I was in one when the power failed (in India) it was 2 hours before I was extricated.

Luckily I was on the way TO the pub :)

• Like 1

In my condo they have regular (once or twice a year) fire drills and alarm tests. This past weekend, the staff spent one whole day training in fire and emergency proceedures.

We also have backup power for emergency lighting. However, I also keep some rechargeable LED lights handy for a lights out situitation.

In my condo they have regular (once or twice a year) fire drills and alarm tests. This past weekend, the staff spent one whole day training in fire and emergency proceedures.

We also have backup power for emergency lighting. However, I also keep some rechargeable LED lights handy for a lights out situitation.

And how do you cope with passengers trapped in a lift as a consequence of a power outage?

all major (those that do work internationally) elevator co's have this well covered, and its part of the programme already. So I doubt a developer could buy a non-complying elevator system for a high rise ( +75' to highest floor) project.

Under the International Building Codes for a high-rise building, the cab is auto-recalled to the designated main exit floor unless a fire alarm device is activated at that level, in which case an alternate floor is planned for during the design phase. One elevator should be on back-up power for the Fire Dept's sole use in a fire condition. The entire building's fire alarm system should be addressable & monitored 24/7 remotely by the Fire Dept so they know which devices are activated before they show up to fight the fire. Stair towers are to be pressurized via fans in a fire condition. Fire alarm is to have a central control room 'command center' for fire fighting and occupant communications to assist in evac.

Lastly, a back up generator is required and an elevator must be on back-up power, along with emergency exit lighting at each floor. Of course this requires competent design team, regulatory agency review and ongoing inspections...

In LoS and all of Asia, as always, caveat emptor: do your own due diligence and contingency life safety planning accordingly. Elevators, BTW, are NOT the major issue in high rise fires. Lack of fire & smoke seal/separation between floors and open stairwell shafts (including non-op door closers & latches, missing doors, chained & locked ground floor exit doors...) are the common killers across Asia.

• Like 1

Yes, they have back up generators that power the lifts, or at least one of the lifts.

They should display the evacuation plan in the event of a fire, which means using the

In the 7 years i lived there we had many power outages and nobody ever got stuck in the lifts.

I presume the lifts are designed to continue operating to the ground floor before they are shut

down by the power outage.

The back up generator then provides power to at least one lift for continual operation when the

power is off.

In the 7 years i lived there we had many power outages and nobody ever got stuck in the lifts.

I presume the lifts are designed to continue operating to the ground floor before they are shut

down by the power outage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lift is fail safe . No power then it will not start. In the case of a power outage, when the lift is operating, the brake (which is mechanical) will operate. It can only be released with power.

Since starting this post I have obtained data from the company that supplied the lift in the condo where I live.

The attached JPEG explains that which needs to happen.,

I think that your presumptions are wrong.

Of course since your building does have aback up genny then if the power from this can be directed to each lift -one at time -then the problem is solved.

Probably the main area of concern is with smaller condos where no genny exists. Such as the one where I live.

post-43437-0-57878200-1371570476_thumb.j

Edited by Delight

• 4 weeks later...

I have just witnessed the testing of the lift in the condo where I live.This test was in response to my skepticism that the lift was not equipped with safety features that would automatically be triggered when the building suffers a power cut.

3 Scenarios were tested.

1) Lift not in use

2) Lift ascending with passengers . Power cut occurs with lift cage aligned to a floor

3) as 2 but lift cage half way between floors

In all 3 tests the systems behaved flawlessly.

I was very impressed given that the only power source was 12v batteries.