DSI net closing in on 'real' luxury car owners in Thailand

webfact

DSI net closing in on 'real' luxury car owners
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

30208464-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Investigators had already gathered information on the suspected owners of six luxury cars that mysterious caught fire on a transporter in Nakhon Ratchasima, while en route to be registered as re-assembled vehicles in Si Sa Ket late May.

Department of Special Investigation (DSI) chief Tarit Pengdit said yesterday as forensic investigators worked to identify the burned cars' registration numbers, the transporter owner, A-ngoon Jeungsaengmanee, had volunteered information about others involved in hiring her company to transport the cars, besides Nathee Rewthong.

However, Tarit declined to give any details about the alleged involvement of others, or whether they were the real owners of the cars in question.

As for the rumour that the owners of the luxury cars were linked to people with political clout, Tarit said the DSI would look into the claims and any wrongdoers would be punished in accordance with the law.

Tarit also said the other investigation calling for the owners of 548 re-assembled cars to submit their vehicles for inspection, would quickly determine whether the luxury vehicles were re-assembled from auto parts or completed factory models.

Vehicles that were found to be imported factory models masquerading as re-assembled cars, would be seized by the DSI for further investigations into their owners.

Tarit said the luxury vehicles' current owners would initially be regarded as the damaged parties if it could be proven they had no knowledge of the fraud. There would also be grounds for current owners to sue the companies which sold them the vehicles, he said.

Luxury car owners are urged to contact authorities by June 18 to make an appointment for their vehicle to be inspected. Appointments for inspection are expected to commence from June 24 onwards and would not take longer than two hours, said Tarit.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-17

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. Now DSI will have hundreds of car owners turning up to claim they only thought they were getting a fabulous deal and in the spirit of " help ' and the benefit of the doubt DSI will take it as proof of innocence and that's an end to it.

• Like 1

And the drama keeps unfolding as if the owners, network, dealers doing maintenance, politicians and police didn't already know who is involved, owns and profits from this "business." Surely Cavallino Motors, the sole importer and distributor of Ferrari in Thailand, knows a "reworked" Ferrari when they see one in the shop for maintenance. Surely, the German ops manager and engineers in MB Thailand know a tampered with MB. This is a Thai spectacle.

• Like 2

O please if the Hi-so bought the car at some bargain price they knew it was a tax fraud from day one.

Remember, this is Thailand. They, DSI, mustn't cause offence or confrontation with the car owners.

What is sometimes referred to as"kid glove treatment" will be in order.

There will be lots of late night discussions and exchanges of stuffed envelopes,plus more waiing and bowing than usual.

No one must lose face.

Unfortunately your quite right, money buy's freedom and suffer the poor and unconnected.

A news item on IN Channel states a petition is to be presented to the DSI asking they investigate Chalerm's Rolls Royce as it's claimed all the cash quoted in respect of it doesn't add up. If anyone is to be treated nicely, get help and be given the benefit of the doubt it will be this pillar of society although we can be sure DSI will have nothing to do with the petition.

I don't know if Chalerm is superstitious but for Chinese the car number 4444 is VERY unlucky. In Cantonese the word for 4 is " Sei " but being a tonal language a variation of pitch makes it " Sei " meaning Dead. Chalerm's number means death multiplied four times. I don't know many Chinese who would be happy even getting into the car far less owning the number.

Who cares what the stupid superstitions and beliefs of the Chines are, they are so insignificant. from eating tigers cojones to silly number beliefs.

• Like 1

Someone imported the cars, and paid some form of tax. They are the owners, unless they sold them instantly to someone else prior to registration, in which case, the company documents should show to whom they were sold, either individuals or companies.

Surely this isn't that hard to track down, or do companies and customs documents just come and go through the ether in Thailand?

• Like 1

O please if the Hi-so bought the car at some bargain price they knew it was a tax fraud from day one.

Remember, this is Thailand. They, DSI, mustn't cause offence or confrontation with the car owners.

What is sometimes referred to as"kid glove treatment" will be in order.

There will be lots of late night discussions and exchanges of stuffed envelopes,plus more waiing and bowing than usual.

No one must lose face.

Unfortunately your quite right, money buy's freedom and suffer the poor and unconnected.

While I agree, I must point out that the poor and unconnected aren't driving luxury cars (except as chauffeurs, valet parkers or car-thieves)

• Like 1

He had a press conference on a Sunday?

No rest for the wicked

that was dsi chief tarit speaking before he got into his bentley and drove off.

There is a guy living in my village, who is working for a special team (don´t know if it is DSI or other) to investigate corruption in the government and their offices. Guess what - he is driving a very new Merc Coupe not smaller than the 300SL.

A news item on IN Channel states a petition is to be presented to the DSI asking they investigate Chalerm's Rolls Royce as it's claimed all the cash quoted in respect of it doesn't add up. If anyone is to be treated nicely, get help and be given the benefit of the doubt it will be this pillar of society although we can be sure DSI will have nothing to do with the petition.

I don't know if Chalerm is superstitious but for Chinese the car number 4444 is VERY unlucky. In Cantonese the word for 4 is " Sei " but being a tonal language a variation of pitch makes it " Sei " meaning Dead. Chalerm's number means death multiplied four times. I don't know many Chinese who would be happy even getting into the car far less owning the number.

Who cares what the stupid superstitions and beliefs of the Chines are, they are so insignificant. from eating tigers cojones to silly number beliefs.

Don't forget the Thais are very superstitious too and it does affect life whether you know it or not when you are involved with them in any way. It's good, sometimes essential, to know what makes people tick but clearly not to you.

• Like 1

As for the rumour that the owners of the luxury cars were linked to people with political clout, Tarit said the DSI would look into the claims and any wrongdoers would be punished in accordance with the law.

Translation: We are working very hard to tie these to Abhisit and Suthep, and when we have, they will be charged with tax fraud.

Surely Cavallino Motors, the sole importer and distributor of Ferrari in Thailand, knows a "reworked" Ferrari when they see one in the shop for maintenance.

Remember this one? Doubt it ever went near a dealer tho tongue.png

fake_ferrari.jpg

http://newlaunches.com/archives/a_fake_ferrari_that_looks_so_real.php

That is pretty slick looking for a Thai copy of a Ferrari.....

Too bad about the Subaru engine though. Since this car was made in Thailand, I would assume no tax was due on it. But back to the story, there is no net closing in on anybody.... Just throw out some goofy headlines like this one, and wait about a month for this story to do the classic fade away.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

"any wrongdoers would be punished in accordance with the law.'.....Now that is funny....so I guess a couple of dollars under the table and all is forgotten. Then hand the keys to the spoilt brats to kill policemen with...hey Mr Red Bull.

Actually 1,6 billion Chinese plus all the people in SE Asia with ethnic Chinese ancestory (most of the business, rich and powerful) care.

Actually 1,6 billion Chinese plus all the people in SE Asia with ethnic Chinese ancestory (most of the business, rich and powerful) care.

So that makes + 1.6 billion people who devoutly believe in nonsense. Still does not make it true.. :-)

Clearly Chalerm is not part Chinese like the other elites..... :-) I would still bet dollars to donuts that tax was not paid on his Bentley. Will be interesting to see how far petition calling for his car to be investigated gets..... :-)

The DSI really does have a tiger by the tail on this case, will be fun to see them squirm their way out of it.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

I have a "4444" on a Hummer H2... It suits the car very well. In the auction several other people competed... But maybe they were not Chinese. I am not either :)

I have a "4444" on a Hummer H2... It suits the car very well. In the auction several other people competed... But maybe they were not Chinese. I am not either smile.png

post-9891-0-24107900-1371446510_thumb.jp

I believe this is Police Captain, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm's carriage of preference. A baby pink Bentley.

All 2222 plain to see.

Edited by ratcatcher

I have a "4444" on a Hummer H2... It suits the car very well. In the auction several other people competed... But maybe they were not Chinese. I am not either smile.png

attachicon.gifchapink.jpg

I believe this is Police Captain, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm's carriage of preference. A baby pink Bentley.

All 2222 plain to see.

Damn !!!! There goes my theory that he was not part Chinese... :-)

Note to self : Check information that people post on forums.

• Like 1

Chalerm's not Chinese. He's not entirely sane either.

• Like 1

Actually they are important in Thailand, not least because Chinese blood owns and controls a major chunk of the Thai economy already, and their cousins will own the rest eventually. A lot of hotels and condos do not have a 4th or a 14th floor. Car registrations and telephone numbers containing the number 4 are not so popular in Thailand. Just look around. Have you never wondered why everyone tries to get an 8 in their number??