Long Overstay

i mean the 4000 baht paid to sunbelt is money thrown away, their agents have very little ability to alter the outcome of things. they are simply an indicator that you are a great candidate to pay more.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Mine is different.

If I'm sitting up nights worrying about getting tossed into a Thai prison when I get to the airport, you'd be amazed at how quickly and happily I'd dig 4000 baht out of my pocket for someone to walk me through the process, even if I could have (maybe, maybe not) done it myself.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flame removed.

Land crossing is an extra risk - but in being stopped by police on the way to border and that other country would not allow entry due to your red overstay stamp. At present entry does not seem to be a problem and police do not seem to be actively seeking overstays - but would still recommend air exit.

I would expect a person staying on long overstay would have local friends that could help in the event of arrest; but if not a legal firm might be a good idea if funds available.

maybe you can make an article or write a book if you go to jail. I know it can take 3 months and more to see a judge and be asked to leave.

would be interesting... please, go to jail.... :D

there was a thread recently about that. Jail stories think it was called. I enjoyed it. Not saying the op will be going, I've no idea because I've never overstayed 5 years!

Gee, just thought he'd make Thailand his home. Unreal.

This was 20 years ago, but an acquaintance of mine had overstayed over a year. He went to the Koh Samui Immigration Office and paid his ฿20,000 and they stamped his passport and gave him 3 days to leave the country. He overstayed that by three days went to Malaysia paid the overstay charge (I believe at that time it was ฿100 or ฿200 a day) went to Penang applied for a new visa and came right back.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

th_thijail_zps6eeff879.jpg

Do not do this I think you may have the OP soil his underkins he is already worried

worried?? this is nothing, its just the holding cell at the airport! LOL

seriously the OP needs to make sure he does not get stopped before reaching the airport by the police. The chances are only small but I did get pulled up once when the BIB pulled my taxi over to question the driver.

Edited by zorro1

6 years back a close friend of mine was over stayed for 2 and a bit years, he was just out on luck, he went to the air port paid the 20K and flew to Singapore - there made new visa and was back 2 days later no issues at all. The immigration offices where friendly he said and thought the overstay was amusing!

He still lives here but no more on overstay!

Am sure I will get "in trouble" for saying this ... but, how about people stop coming to Thailand and overstaying their tourist visas and making it harder for the rest of us who live here within the rules the Government has set on visas?! There is no excuse for overstaying a visa by 5 years. None. People are lucky that they aren't just arrested and deported when leaving and instead allowed to pay a simple 20,000 Baht fine. End rant.

The rules on visas has nothing to do with overstays and does not make it harder for the rest that live here.. The visa rules set here are crap so Goodluck to overstayers who have the balls to do it..

Am sure I will get "in trouble" for saying this ... but, how about people stop coming to Thailand and overstaying their tourist visas and making it harder for the rest of us who live here within the rules the Government has set on visas?! There is no excuse for overstaying a visa by 5 years. None. People are lucky that they aren't just arrested and deported when leaving and instead allowed to pay a simple 20,000 Baht fine. End rant.

The rules on visas has nothing to do with overstays and does not make it harder for the rest that live here.. The visa rules set here are crap so Goodluck to overstayers who have the balls to do it..

So just cause the law is crap ... that makes it okay to break the laws of a country we are all guests in?! Nice philosophy.

• Like 2

"The rules on visas has nothing to do with overstays and does not make it harder for the rest that live here.. The visa rules set here are crap so Goodluck to overstayers who have the balls to do it."

Maybe the poster comes from a country which has long ago given up trying to control "illegals" and "overstayers " ?

One way the overstayers make it hard for the rest of us is when they have a medical emergency and end up in a government hospital, which has a human rights obligation to treat people with medical emergencies regardless of immigration status. People who are on long-term overstay often don't have sufficient funds to cover a medical emergency -- if they had a reserve fund, they wouldn't have let themselves get on overstay.

If it gets to be a big enough problem, the Thai rules/laws could be changed to require things like mandatory health insurance for foreigners, depositing of a bond with the Thai government, etc. Those are things which would affect those of us who are following the rules.

Edited by NancyL

Does this apply to my case aswell?

I entered Thailand on my Oz pp 3.5yrs ago and since have attained all my Thai credentials and never exit/entered again..

I was told by Siam-Legal and others it wasn't necesary to do so, but since have bee told otherwise..

I started a thread a while ago regarding my issue but it has been long forgotten about.. and now I read here a case of long overstay, it has sparked my interest..

Unless the OP case is similar to mine???............ Or he just refused to abide by the rules totally.

Edited by kirstymelb101

One way the overstayers make it hard for the rest of us is when they have a medical emergency and end up in a government hospital, which has a human rights obligation to treat people with medical emergencies regardless of immigration status. People who are on long-term overstay often don't have sufficient funds to cover a medical emergency -- if they had a reserve fund, they wouldn't have let themselves get on overstay.

If it gets to be a big enough problem, the Thai rules/laws could be changed to require things like mandatory health insurance for foreigners, depositing of a bond with the Thai government, etc. Those are things which would affect those of us who are following the rules.

seriously how many expats living on a pension or punters desperate to stay here actually have adequate funds for medical emergencies?

All thai insurance policies cover you for not much and a good emergency only, 1 year travelers policy cost around $600

I think 20000 bahts fine is cheap.

it cost less to pay the fine than paying for visa and pay for bus/plane/tuktuk to go to a thai embassy for 2 years.

if the fine was 100'000 baths or more. I bet guys will leave the country before their visa expires.

20000 bahts fine is a joke and I think some thai guys fixed this price because they prefer you pay them 20000 instead to pay for hotel, bus, flight, tuck tuck...

do you know where this money go?

Edited by Cheapcharly

I entered Thailand on my Oz pp 3.5yrs ago and since have attained all my Thai credentials and never exit/entered again..

I was told by Siam-Legal and others it wasn't necesary to do so, but since have bee told otherwise..

I started a thread a while ago regarding my issue but it has been long forgotten about.. and now I read here a case of long overstay, it has sparked my interest..

Unless the OP case is similar to mine???............ Or he just refused to abide by the rules totally.

A not so common case.

I am not sure they can make you pay overstay as a Thai national.

I guess the best way forward would be is to visit immigration and go ask.

I think the main problem will be that you need to exit Thailand on your Oz passport, as that is the one you entered on.

Trying to leave on your Thai passport could raise a flag on the immigration computer system (on name/birthday), and additionally, as you will likely not have a visa for Australia in your Thai passport (as you can enter on your Oz PP anyway), immigration might want to know how you plan to enter Australia without valid visa, which would require you to show your Oz passport to them along with the old entry stamp!

• Like 1

Immigration is of the opinion that you entered on an OZ passport and are subject to immigration rules for an Australian. in other words they will tell you to pay the overstay fine and next time enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

You could refuse to pay and then you will be brought before a judge. So don't try this at the airport, you will miss your flight. I have no knowledge of what a judge will say.

On show of your Thai passport you can get an extension of stay from immigration without any problem.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the conflicting reports, so can only report my own personal experience. Went for a 3+ year overstay to the Nong Khai border at the end of February, and everything was fine. I spent 3000 baht on new pants and shirt before showing up at the border, and was more than respectful and apologetic. The officer asked why I overstayed so long, to which I just replied, "no excuse, totally my fault, and just the way life took me". That was enough for him to let me through with just the 20,000 baht and no problems.

Since then, have gotten two double entry tourist VISAs from Vientiane without problem. Not a single word spoken or question asked throughout all border checkpoints or trips to the Thai embassy. The only question asked was that I was willing to pay 2000 baht for a double entry VISA.

Be polite, respectful, and apologetic though. One guy at the Nong Khai immigration office showed up, and the officer politely said, "put your passport here, and take a seat". Instead, the guy started rambling on about whatever because he didn't understand something. The officer got pissed, slapped his hand on the desk, and with a firm voice said, "PASSPORT, SIT DOWN!", while pointing in the directions of where his passport and himself should go. The foreigner may have been new to the overstay rules, but the immigration officer definitely wasn't. Obey what they say.

A not so common case.

I am not sure they can make you pay overstay as a Thai national.

I guess the best way forward would be is to visit immigration and go ask.

I think the main problem will be that you need to exit Thailand on your Oz passport, as that is the one you entered on.

Trying to leave on your Thai passport could raise a flag on the immigration computer system (on name/birthday), and additionally, as you will likely not have a visa for Australia in your Thai passport (as you can enter on your Oz PP anyway), immigration might want to know how you plan to enter Australia without valid visa, which would require you to show your Oz passport to them along with the old entry stamp!

...the Thai passport would need an exit stamp before they could let you back "in"...