Thai diplomat accused of assault acted in self-defence: Foreign Ministry

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would expect she will be on a plane home very quickly, even before the Egyptians insist on it.

Normally this would be the kiss of death for a career, well at the very least no more overseas postings except maybe Laos or Myanmar which is hardly the pinnacle of someone's career. However TIT and her family may be connected or she may have a " special relationship " with someone senior or be protected for any number of reasons.

It's sad to automatically think like this but that's what happens when used to seeing how things work so many times.

The Amranand family have a long history with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Prok Amranand was Ambassador to Washington in the early 80s, considered to be the top posting available at the time. His son, Piyasvasti, was a Cabinet Minister in the post coup Surayud government and later CEO of Thai Airways until the government changed. I think he is still an adviser to PTT.

I don't know where this girl fits into the family, one of Bangkok's old elites, but she should have some stroke, although not with the present government.

Do we know these two are related?

She's spelling her name Amaranand... And his name seems to be spelled Amranand. I saw that earlier, but couldn't find any direct correlation between the two.

Piyasvasti Amranand (Thai: ปิยสวัสดิ์ อัมระนันทน์; RTGS: Piyasawat Ammaranan, born 11 July 1953) was Thailand's Energy Minister between 9 October 2006 and 6 February 2008. He is former Secretary-General of the Thai National Energy Policy Office, Chairman of Kasikorn Asset Management and Chairman of Panel of Advisors for CEO of Kasikornbank. He was President of Thai Airways International between October 2009 and June 2012. He is currently Chairman of the Energy for Environment Foundation, a non-profit organization undertaking renewable energy and energy efficiency projects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piyasvasti_Amranand

look how they write both their name in Thai. but then we still don't know if they are really related and to what degree or if that anyhow matters.

according to the details given by the assault victim in their story, it seems that the Thai lady diplomat wasn't really happy in Egypt.

This bio blip refers to Piyasvasti only has having two sons.... so perhaps she is related in some other way.

He has returned to private life since leaving Thai Airways where he served as president. Married to Anik with two sons, this former energy minister continues to comment on energy and environmental issues. He is the eldest of three sons and is the brother of Pingkasvasti and Vidusvasti.

http://www.thailandtatler.com/tag/vidusvasti-amranand/page/3/

UPDATE:
THAI-EGYPTIAN RELATIONS
Thai diplomat in Cairo called back for her safety : FM

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry called back to Thailand the female Thai diplomat who allegedly assaulted an Egyptian woman at a Cairo hotel, as a precaution for her safety as there were reportedly threats against her.

Thai Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Jakkrit Srivali said Tuesday the ministry ordered First Secretary of the Thai Embassy in Egypt Kakanang Amaranand back to provide additional information about what happened and for her safety because there were threatening messages towards the Thai diplomat.

Jakkrit had commented on Monday that the diplomat acted in self-defence and that Thai Ambassador to Egypt Chalit Manittayakul had defended Kakanang’s character.

Kakanang was accused by Egyptian woman Rana Ashraf and her lawyer husband that Kakanang, in drunken state, had assaulted her at the Kempinski Hotel in Downtown Cairo on Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

Reading the other paper apparently she said "Egypt is the worst country I have been in".

Now I can think of a few simple comebacks about Thailand, and women that come to mind.....

That is a rude thing to say.

Maybe she was hanging out with a certain group of expats for a too long time. believe it or not there is always a certain kind of expats who will always find their host country the worst country and have always something to complain about.

• Like 1

Whether it is true of not what is a diplomat doing drunk in public, in control or not?

She is supposed to be representing her country.

Oh, well, yes, following the example of someone else I suppose.

Well, as far as I can gather, she represented her people in a perfect manner.

• Like 1

UPDATE:

THAI-EGYPTIAN RELATIONS

Thai diplomat in Cairo called back for her safety : FM

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry called back to Thailand the female Thai diplomat who allegedly assaulted an Egyptian woman at a Cairo hotel, as a precaution for her safety as there were reportedly threats against her.

Thai Foreign Ministry deputy spokesman Jakkrit Srivali said Tuesday the ministry ordered First Secretary of the Thai Embassy in Egypt Kakanang Amaranand back to provide additional information about what happened and for her safety because there were threatening messages towards the Thai diplomat.

Jakkrit had commented on Monday that the diplomat acted in self-defence and that Thai Ambassador to Egypt Chalit Manittayakul had defended Kakanang’s character.

Kakanang was accused by Egyptian woman Rana Ashraf and her lawyer husband that Kakanang, in drunken state, had assaulted her at the Kempinski Hotel in Downtown Cairo on Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-06-18

Or else the Thai government didn't want to have to present her to the Egyptian's where she would be asked to explain her behaviour. Telling lies to the Thai populace via government spokespeople is one thing, doing the same as a diplomat to your host nation is another.

Sure sounds like self defence.

Ashraf's husband was quoted as saying that Kakanang had "pushed [Ashraf] on the couch, kicked her more than five times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her until she bled, and through all of this my wife was not grabbing or attacking her.

The incident described sounds like something commonly seen on Lakorn TV (Thai soap opera). Whats wrong with emulating a movie star role model?

...it was their party....she was a guest of someone they had invited.....

....and the statement from the Minister is founded on nothing......never...never.never......only foreigners ever to blame...

(.she assaulted diplomats at their party and should have been arrested and had a blood test done...)

This appears to be the husband's direct account of what happened... but I can't tell about whether the accompanying photo is supposed to be the husband and his wife....

http://www.scoopempire.com/post/2013/06/16/I-URGE-YOU-TO-READ-AND-SHARE-THIS.aspx

Last Thursday, my wife was brutally attacked by a drunken lunatic diplomat while having a night out at the Kempinski hotel in Cairo.

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30-1am to meet up with my friends. Coincidentally, one of my friends' lovely girlfriend works at the Thai embassy in Egypt. She brought a friend of hers who nobody has ever met before who was extremely drunk.....

PS - This account, apparently by the husband, includes a reference that seems to say the Embassy lady had previously been posted in Beirut...

None of them though of walking away from a drunk, before it got worse?

• Like 1

If the reported version of events are even remotely true, I don't believe the Egyptian authorities could have done anything with the lady involved, as being part of the Thai Embassy staff there, she'd have diplomatic immunity, I presume.

However, you can pretty well likewise assume that the reported incident -- and there being independent confirmation of a brawl by the hotel staff who have been quoted by the media -- has ended any likelihood of her being able to continue working at the Thai Embassy in Cairo -- immunity not withstanding.

The Egyptian newlywed couple were talking about trying to pursue the case with the police there and/or with the Thai Embassy. But I'd imagine about the best they could possible emerge with would be some kind of apology... And I'd be surprised if they even get that.

As readers here know all too well, the kin of important people in Thailand -- if the lady here is such a person -- seem to manage to get away with all kinds of misdeeds even up to the point of people getting killed, and somehow often manage to get away with little or no consequence...and some even re-emerge with a fresh coat of paint in public life at some future point.

If this is self-defence then gawd help anyone who pi55es her off w00t.gif

She pushed her on the couch, kicked her over 5 times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her until she bled and through all of this, my wife had let go.

Whenever we tried to pull her off, she would bite or pull harder. It was a completely one sided fight.

My wife ended up with a black eye, an open wound in her head, scratches all over her body, 4 deep bite marks on her arm and emotional distress.

A Proper Little Madam by the sounds of things whistling.gif

http://newswithtags.com/Diplomat/scoopempire-my-wife-and-i-got-attacked-by-a-drunk-diplomat#.UcBgJZxmPr4

• Like 1

Maybe it is just me but I have met several Thai women and most of them did not drink any alcohol. If she is indeed a Thai diplomat that is known to drink in the Thai social circle then I would assume there has been trouble brewing somewhere. Thai + alcohol = trouble usually. I just want to see if they have a copy of the cat fight on video.

• Like 1

If this is self-defence then gawd help anyone who pi55es her off w00t.gif

She pushed her on the couch, kicked her over 5 times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her until she bled and through all of this, my wife had let go.

Whenever we tried to pull her off, she would bite or pull harder. It was a completely one sided fight.

My wife ended up with a black eye, an open wound in her head, scratches all over her body, 4 deep bite marks on her arm and emotional distress.

A Proper Little Madam by the sounds of things whistling.gif

http://newswithtags.com/Diplomat/scoopempire-my-wife-and-i-got-attacked-by-a-drunk-diplomat#.UcBgJZxmPr4

This is there version of course. We don't know if they were sober or drug free at the time. There hasn't been any comment from the hotel or independent witnesses. Would be nice to see some other statements.

The husband admits his wife made a public joke at the Thai lady's expense. Thia people will react to this perceived loss of face and public ridicule, whether drunk or sober. Kick under the table, he reacts and knocks phone away, more loss of face and increase in temper - whoosh violence erupts.

People should know better than to bait drunks, if she was indeed drunk. Get away from them, they are unpredictable whatever their nationality or job.

• Like 1

....and the statement from the Minister is founded on nothing......never...never.never......only foreigners ever to blame...

(.she assaulted diplomats at their party and should have been arrested and had a blood test done...)

Read the OP - she is the diplomat, not the Egyptians. Diplomats have diplomatic immunity.

I would expect she will be on a plane home very quickly, even before the Egyptians insist on it.

Normally this would be the kiss of death for a career, well at the very least no more overseas postings except maybe Laos or Myanmar which is hardly the pinnacle of someone's career. However TIT and her family may be connected or she may have a " special relationship " with someone senior or be protected for any number of reasons.

It's sad to automatically think like this but that's what happens when used to seeing how things work so many times.

The Amranand family have a long history with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Prok Amranand was Ambassador to Washington in the early 80s, considered to be the top posting available at the time. His son, Piyasvasti, was a Cabinet Minister in the post coup Surayud government and later CEO of Thai Airways until the government changed. I think he is still an adviser to PTT.

I don't know where this girl fits into the family, one of Bangkok's old elites, but she should have some stroke, although not with the present government.

She should have gone to my old boarding school where various other prominent Thai families have sent their children to have their arrogance bullied out of them.

I blame it on the Russians for having softened boarding school in the UK. Lol

Edited by Thai at Heart

And from the Facebook page of the husband of the attacked woman:

https://www.facebook.com/TheGhazy

SUGAR COATING THE INSANE THAI DIPLOMATS DEPORTATION FROM EGYPT

So, here is what happened yesterday. The embassy called me for a meeting. I took Adam Makary and Omar Mekky with me. We met with "the second man" first, he kept apologizing repeatedly explaining how big of a deal this is to them and how the girl's career is completely ruined and how it reached the Thai Palace.

He then asked me for my demands and I explained that I want her to leave the country and be prosecuted. That person was unable to meet any of our demands so as we were leaving I found the ambassador (who was supposedly out of the country) walking in.

The ambassador explained how he believes me but is "forced" to retaliate in the media because of their image.

He attempted to make a deal requesting that I stop talking to the media and stop any procedures against them, in return that she would be out of the country tonight and investigated with back in Thailand.

I wake up this morning to a piece of news on a website called "nationmultimedia" saying how Kakanang Amaranand is leaving the country because she has been receiving "threats" so she has to go back to Thailand for her safety. The website also explains how she was acting in self defense, self defense against what exactly, I don't know!

Either ways, thankfully videos and voice notes were taken of what the ambassador and his "second man" said, and I had two extremely credible witnesses, a judge and a reporter in Al Jazeera. So I guess trying to sugar coat her travel won't work.

And of course, I will carry on with my official complaint.

• Like 1

And also the account as to what happened according to the husband on his facebook page:

Last Thursday, my wife was brutally attacked by a drunken lunatic diplomat while having a night out at the Kempinski hotel in Cairo.
We arrived at the hotel at 12.30-1am to meet up with my friends. Coincidently, one of my friends' lovely girlfriend works at the Thai embassy in Egypt. She brought a friend of hers who nobody has ever met before and that was extremely drunk, and I had also heard she was allegedly doing "coke" in the bathroom (I cannot be sure about that so I don't want to use this as evidence).
Right off the bat, the girl was being extremely rude while talking to us. Even as she was inviting us to a farewell party, she was being aggressive about it because I said that I'm having an operation that week and can't make it. However, she ended up taking our emails to put us on the mailing list.
Throughout the night, she was arrogantly slamming Egypt and Egyptians, basically saying that it was a horrible country with horrible people. She said "Egypt is the worst place I have ever been after Beirut." She even started calling two of the Egyptian guys "fat and ugly" while making the vomit gestures.
We then innocently asked her for her name because we hadn't had the chance to properly introduce ourselves. She spent 5-10 minutes not telling us her name and then looked at me and said "my name is k** omak!" while proceeding to repeat that to me while giving me her middle finger (in case you don't knows, that translates to "your moms vagina" - a very derogatory Arabic slur). My wife politely asked her to stop so she told her to "shut up".
She then started swearing at us because she said we took her place on the couch, and made sarcastic remarks about us being newly weds.
She was bragging about how she has diplomatic immunity, and how she can park wherever she wants in Egypt because the "Thai embassy gets to pay all her tickets".
She arrogantly told me not to sit cross legged in front of her, basically implying that I shouldn't sit in front of a diplomat like that.
I told her to stop being rude and to calm down, and she wouldn't. We asked for her name again and all she was saying was "ok, ok, ok!" So we told her that we will call her "ok" from now on.
She took out her phone and started to write us a really rude email as per her friend. My wife asked her "should we expect an email from [email protected]?" which got laughs from everyone at the table. She then kicked my wife really hard with her heels and the went back to writing the email.
At this point, we had been nice about her being rude and we hadn't retaliated when she swore. But seeing my wife get kicked, I lost it and smacked the phone out of her hand. I shouted "what did you do that for? Calm down!" And then she started aggressively hitting me and trying to choke me.
I would never hit a woman, so I just grabbed her hands to control her but she continued. My wife then got up to stand between us so she could stop and this is where the brutal attack started.
She pushed her on the couch, kicked her over 5 times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her till she bled and through all of this my wife had let go. Whenever we tried to pull her off, she would bite or pull harder. It was a completely one sided fight.
My wife ended up with a black eye, an open wound in hear head, scratches all over her body, 4 deep bite marks on her arm and emotional distress.
In hindsight, I should have not smacked her phone but seeing a violent drunk hitting my wife (who is by far the person I love the most in the world), I could not help myself. I was also worried that she would get more violent and use weapons on her so I needed to put her in her place.
She had brutally attacked my wife, she was an absolute drunken mess, she swore at people, Egypt and specifically Egyptians, she arrogantly claimed to be abusing her power at the embassy and she was violent and rude with other people and waiters as well.
She is an embarrassment to herself, her family, her country and the entire diplomatic system. It is amazing that slime like this gets diplomatic immunity and gets away with all these misdemeanors.
And by the way, after all this, her name turned out to be Miss KANANANG AMARANAND. She is the First Secretary at the Thai Embassy in Egypt. Here is a link to the page to see what she looks like.
We have filed a lawsuit against her, but we were told that this will end up as a waste of time because of her status. I urge everyone to share this and put pressure on the embassy to release her from her job. She does not deserve a future in such a prestigious field.

Notes:
- My wife asked me not to post pictures of the attack.
- Witnesses include friends, the neighbouring table, the hotel waiters and security.

• Like 1

You're right.

You give up thinking wrongs will ever be made right in this country.

The normal long drawn-out investigation where everyone forgets the incident.

Any civilised country would have senior diplomats, the Foreign Secretary, making loud public statements about fully investigating such grave accusations.

Conjures up Chalerm's "it wasn't us", with the dismissive attitude of this Teflon Government.

But as you rightly say, TIT

• Like 1

And from the Facebook page of the husband of the attacked woman:

https://www.facebook.com/TheGhazy

Either ways, thankfully videos and voice notes were taken of what the ambassador and his "second man" said, and I had two extremely credible witnesses, a judge and a reporter in Al Jazeera. So I guess trying to sugar coat her travel won't work.

Now THAT'S getting interesting. If true, I'm surprised the Thai embassy bigwigs would have knowingly consented to that... Maybe they didn't know.

But if true, Ghazy seems like the kind of guy who, feeling agrieved, wouldn't shy away from going after the Thai government (and its reps in Cairo).

I wonder if we'll ever hear or see a recording of just what the Embassy guys coughed up that day. smile.png Especially if their private statements end up flatly contradicting what the government has said in its public statements.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

And also the account as to what happened according to the husband on his facebook page:

We arrived at the hotel at 12.30-1am to meet up with my friends. Coincidently, one of my friends' lovely girlfriend works at the Thai embassy in Egypt. She brought a friend of hers who nobody has ever met before and that was extremely drunk, and I had also heard she was allegedly doing "coke" in the bathroom (I cannot be sure about that so I don't want to use this as evidence).

Right off the bat, the girl was being extremely rude while talking to us. Even as she was inviting us to a farewell party, she was being aggressive about it because I said that I'm having an operation that week and can't make it. However, she ended up taking our emails to put us on the mailing list.

Throughout the night, she was arrogantly slamming Egypt and Egyptians, basically saying that it was a horrible country with horrible people. She said "Egypt is the worst place I have ever been after Beirut." She even started calling two of the Egyptian guys "fat and ugly" while making the vomit gestures.

We then innocently asked her for her name because we hadn't had the chance to properly introduce ourselves. She spent 5-10 minutes not telling us her name and then looked at me and said "my name is k** omak!" while proceeding to repeat that to me while giving me her middle finger (in case you don't knows, that translates to "your moms vagina" - a very derogatory Arabic slur). My wife politely asked her to stop so she told her to "shut up".

She then started swearing at us because she said we took her place on the couch, and made sarcastic remarks about us being newly weds.

She was bragging about how she has diplomatic immunity, and how she can park wherever she wants in Egypt because the "Thai embassy gets to pay all her tickets".

She arrogantly told me not to sit cross legged in front of her, basically implying that I shouldn't sit in front of a diplomat like that.

I told her to stop being rude and to calm down, and she wouldn't. We asked for her name again and all she was saying was "ok, ok, ok!" So we told her that we will call her "ok" from now on.

She took out her phone and started to write us a really rude email as per her friend. My wife asked her "should we expect an email from [email protected]?" which got laughs from everyone at the table. She then kicked my wife really hard with her heels and the went back to writing the email.

At this point, we had been nice about her being rude and we hadn't retaliated when she swore. But seeing my wife get kicked, I lost it and smacked the phone out of her hand. I shouted "what did you do that for? Calm down!" And then she started aggressively hitting me and trying to choke me.

I would never hit a woman, so I just grabbed her hands to control her but she continued. My wife then got up to stand between us so she could stop and this is where the brutal attack started.

She pushed her on the couch, kicked her over 5 times in the face and head with her heels, pulled her hair out, bit her till she bled and through all of this my wife had let go. Whenever we tried to pull her off, she would bite or pull harder. It was a completely one sided fight.

My wife ended up with a black eye, an open wound in hear head, scratches all over her body, 4 deep bite marks on her arm and emotional distress.

In hindsight, I should have not smacked her phone but seeing a violent drunk hitting my wife (who is by far the person I love the most in the world), I could not help myself. I was also worried that she would get more violent and use weapons on her so I needed to put her in her place.

She had brutally attacked my wife, she was an absolute drunken mess, she swore at people, Egypt and specifically Egyptians, she arrogantly claimed to be abusing her power at the embassy and she was violent and rude with other people and waiters as well.

She is an embarrassment to herself, her family, her country and the entire diplomatic system. It is amazing that slime like this gets diplomatic immunity and gets away with all these misdemeanors.

And by the way, after all this, her name turned out to be Miss KANANANG AMARANAND. She is the First Secretary at the Thai Embassy in Egypt. Here is a link to the page to see what she looks like.

We have filed a lawsuit against her, but we were told that this will end up as a waste of time because of her status. I urge everyone to share this and put pressure on the embassy to release her from her job. She does not deserve a future in such a prestigious field.

Notes:

- My wife asked me not to post pictures of the attack.

- Witnesses include friends, the neighbouring table, the hotel waiters and security.

I think she will be toast after this little event.

Read the OP - she is the diplomat, not the Egyptians. Diplomats have diplomatic immunity.

Which can be waived should the Thai Govt so wish.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The lady's already slated or on her way back to Thailand. No way in the world are the Thai authorities going to subject one of their Embassy staff to investigation / interrogation / potential prosecution by authorities in a foreign country -- any foreign country.

They wouldn't do that for any ordinary Thai national. And they certainly wouldn't do that for someone who may also be part of a very prominent Thai government/diplomatic family.