Thais And Escalators.

Jockstar

Ok firstly i'm not having a go at Thai people.Maybe it happens elsewhere but i live in Thailand and have noticed it here. But i have seen on many occasions Thais just about to get on an escalator and look scared and wary. Its as if its gonna gobble them up. They hesitate for a few seconds as if they dont know what to do as they are about to step onto it. No big deal you may think. But nothing worse when you are walking behind them and basically nearly bump into them beacuse they stop. Anyone else notice or is it just me? The MRT and BTS seem to be the places that i have seen it most but even in Central it happens. :o

Edited by Jockstar

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok firstly i'm not having a go at Jock people.

Maybe it happens elsewhere but i live in Jockland and have noticed it here.

But i have seen on many occasions; Jocks just about to get into a pub looking scared and wary. Its as if the pub's gonna gobble them up!

They hesitate for a few seconds as if they dont know whether to step onto it or not. No big deal you may think! But nothing worse when you are walking behind them the haggis chompers!

Further <deleted>' more.....I basically nearly bump into the kilters because they stop! Anyone else notice or is it just me? Aberdeen and Inverness seem to be the places that i have seen it most but even in Glasgow it happens!

Ye Ken??

Edited by stevesuphan

They hesitate for a few seconds as if they dont know what to do as they are about to step onto it.

But yet they never hesitate when getting into a lift (elevator) or onto the Skytrain. Normally, they don't even let me out first.

Edited by Lormaak

All the time mate, and then when they get to the top they stop again and discuss which way to go.

That would bother me more, especially on the escalator going down. I just hope they take a few steps to clear the area immediately after they step off the escalator. It can be dangerous.

I notice the way the past few commenterrs have used the pronoun they as if the Thais were some kind of foreign species.

Thais going to to Farangland, using the word 'they' in such a derogatory manner on a public forum would be hammered by the locals.

Dont be so racist.....

Edited by stevesuphan

Dont be so racist.....

What are you talking about?? A bit of harmless generalisation is not racism. Did you read the OPs opening comments? This is a bit of mocking fun.

Besides, nobody complains about the positive generalisations (They are jai-dee. They are very friendly. They smile a lot...)

Honestly, these up-tight farangs. They always get the wrong end of the stick.

That was always one of Trink's favourites. He had them all on his page under the heading...."you know you've been in Thailand too long when........."

This one was..."you know you've been in Thailand too long when you stop at the top of the escalator to plan your day" :o

I notice the way the past few commenterrs have used the pronoun they as if the Thais were some kind of foreign species.

Looks like you got out the wrong side of bed today Steve.

Don't get me started on pronouns used for Thais by farangs, and for farang used by Thais. You know which is worse.

Was on an escalator in Hong Kong where a large group of mainland Chinese all tried to stand on the same step. The bloody thing took off at a hundred mile an hour and threw them all off the end.

It wasn't funny till about five minutes later.

Thais going to to Farangland, using the word 'they' in such a derogatory manner on a public forum would be hammered by the locals.

Dont be so racist.....

Not hard to understand Steve's comment. Remember, Many of you here on TV complained about the Thai people calling farang "MUN". . Its the same.

Nope, can't say I have ever noticed anything untoward regarding escalators and Thai people.

Now its been mentioned. You will be looking out for it. :D

When I go to Bangkok I stand at the top of escalators coz I have no idea which way to go. :o

When I go on the BTS I stand at the bottom of the escalator, coz I never know for sure if I'm heading towards On Nut or Mor Chit. :D

Whenever I stand at the bottoms or tops of escalators they, (oh so sorry - The Thais) all walk around me ever so politely and have a good look at this ageing freak who is blocking their (oh so sorry The Thais') way. :D

Edited by Mister Doom

Thai people calling farang "MUN". . Its the same.

no it isnt.

You're right again Tax, a very singular word, all be it rather coarse if used regarding yourself.

"I notice the way the past few commenterrs have used the pronoun they as if the Thais were some kind of foreign species"

I hardly think so as it's used as a generalisation.

i think also , according to the rules of english grammar , once the subject in a sentence has been identified (thais), it is correct to then refer to that subject using a pronoun (they).

so maybe grammatical correctness should come before political correctness here.

Edited by taxexile

QUOTE(stevesuphan @ 2006-03-31 18:32:51) *

Dont be so racist.....

Not hard to understand Steve's comment. Remember, Many of you here on TV complained about the Thai people calling farang "MUN". . Its the same.

It most certainly isn't the same. 'They' is correct - nothing wrong with it.

QUOTE(stevesuphan @ 2006-03-31 18:32:51) *

Dont be so racist.....

It most certainly isn't the same. 'They' is correct - nothing wrong with it.

My mother, still alive in her 82nd year, always taught us children, never to use a pronoun about anyone who has a name, such as eg. the Thai people.

She considered this usage, as I do also, very bad manners.

Getting back on topic- I have noticed this peculiarity of getting on an escalator, and never noticed it anywhere else in the world.

It seems that the people are "timing" their step, similar to getting on a ski lift, to ensure that they step on when the riser has completely extended out, and before it starts going up. If you take a look at the faces, the concentration is intense! :o