Now They Even Block Advertising Companies

KhunMarco

When in Rome... :D

... side with Nero?

You mean Nerone I guess?! (that's the Italian name)

Oh I got it now, that's why they called the CD burner "Nero"..rofl funny. Oky doky , learnt a new thing :o

naaa, when in Rome.... don't mess around with the leons :D

On a serious note, I don't know whether my PMs to those guys who asked me the url have been delivered.

My panel doesn't show new sent messages...weird.

Let me know and I'll send 'em by email .

EDIT:

I forgot to click the option "save sent messages", my bad...they should be on their way

Edited by KhunMarco

• 1 year later...

Thai ISPs are modifying their DNS servers in a way which is against IETF regulations.

Their DNS servers are wrongly answering queries for domains they're not authorative for.

Example: www.youtube.com resolves to 203.146.43.133 (which is the blocked-site-message) but should resolve to 208.65.153.251 or 208.65.153.253

A moderator sent me a message about this earlier that it is not allowed to discuss ways around the Thai blocking policy and the message was removed. However, this message clearly doesn't fit that category.

So apart from the non-discussible transparant proxying by the Thai government, the Thai ISPs are providing wrong information which should be discussable......

:o

It would seem Thailand is not mature enough to comprehend what it takes to participate in international ventures such as the Internet. I would expect that the misconfiguration might cause problems sometimes for the global Internet. Because of that I guess it will be discussed, but I think things might take time. Do you think it will be easuer than for us talking to customer support? I do not because they do not want to change it so they will try to pretend they do not understand. Don't they understand they can not just make up their own unique way of configuring Internet?

Until such time comes remember encryption. I do not think it is against forum policy to inform people about how to communicate securely with sensitive information like passwords and bank information. Such information should of course not be sent in the open and encryted connections like vpn and ssh are very good for this. If you do not have an account to a service that offers this you can google for one and subscribe. There is also the excellent free tor project that offers you an encrypted secure route that your information can travel between your machine and the host you want to connect to. Encryption is not likely to be blocked anytime soon. 1: They don't know what you are transmitting so they can not figure out what to block. 2: They can not block all encrypted traffic because banks and other important institutions rely on it. The encryption will have other obvious sideeffects that many might find beneficial.:o

Temp

The current blocking mechanism in place is transparant proxying. How it works (this is an explanation and not a discussion):

-A router checks all traffic which is destined for port 80 (website).

-The router then sets the next hop to the IP address of the proxy server

-The proxy server looks at the www-request, checks the host-header-value against a blocked website list and either sends back a blocking message or retrieves the page itself and sends the result back to the originating IP address.

It's called transparent because it works without any proxy configuration in your webbrowser.

For secure websites, the payload of the package is completely encrypted and the package is destined for port 443 (https://)

Since the proxy server cannot read the package, it can't proxy it - the router mentioned earlier will not change the next hop of this type of package.

Ways to get around this may not be discussed here - probably because the thai goverment might not like it, resulting in getting TV on a blacklist. And of course nobody wants that.

But illegitimate modification of the Thai ISPs DNS servers goes completely beyond this policy and indeed disrupts internet communications. Choosing another DNS server is no workaround for the Thai-blocking-policy but a very legitimate configuration on your own computer.

Edited by Prasert

I already use a different DNS server (OpenDNS) but still get the Thai Blocking Screen!

Chris

OpenDNS will give you the correct answer (which IP a site has), but after your browser knows the IP address, it will send a request to the server, which will go through the Thai system.....