Cheapest motard for beginner in Thailand?

MrHammer

Hey,

I'm going to finish my motorcycle license going back to my country this summer and when I return in a month I'd like to get myself some transportation here in Bangkok. I've driven a lot of scooters, but would like something a little more sexy to be honest and also feel more secure on the road on a bigger bike.

What I'd like to get after having done some research is a motard like a D-tracker or Suzuki DRZ. Both these are out of my price range (and probably my skill level) at 250cc. I know the D-tracker is available at 150cc and much cheaper but is it tall enough for 185 cm? Honda XR are probably more common here?

Any recommendations for a beginners motard bike? I don't want to get a CBR150 or similar.

Probably the cheapest motard style motorcycle you can buy in Thailand now-a-days is the Lifan Xplore 200M. The Lifan is around 50,000 THB and comes with 2-year warranty.

I'm almost 2 meters and I can ride the Lifan Xplore 200M very easily, personally I not like the seat, but that is something one of the many saddle/seat modify shops in Bangkok can change for a few hundred Baht.

Performance the Lifan has about the same power as the Kawasaki D-Tracker 150 in standard trim, of course with a few simple modifications both motorcycles can produce more performance.

• Like 1

What is a "motard"?

Is this video to train motorcycle taxi drivers?

In simple terms a Motard is a supermoto, which on its own is basically a motocross motorcycle with road wheels/tires. Obvious a motocross bike with road tires would not be the most comfortable and easiest to ride, therefore many manufacturers have introduced Motard/Supermoto STYLE motorcycles.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Yep, you should at least spend 80-90k Baht for a used D-Tracker 250 or you risk to get a heavily (ab)used bike. The D-Tracker 150 is small. At 185cm i wouldn't consider it. But some people claim its lots of fun, so maybe have a look at it first if you just need a bike for the city. But i doubt you will feel safer on it than on a scooter.

An alternative to the Lifan Motard is the Keeway TXM200. Not sure about the price, maybe 70k? But neither TXM200 nor Lifan have the power and quality of a D-Tracker 250 of course. In terms of quality i would prefer the Keeway RKV200 over the Keeway TXM200. They both have the same engine.

> Any recommendations for a beginners motard bike?

It depends on your budget. If you want to spend 150k then get a new D-Tracker. If you have 90k and consider buying used get a D-Tracker. If you only have 60k get a Lifan or a scooter or save some more money... wink.png

• Like 1