Are most Ex-Pats completely broke ?

homeownership

I have to ask this question because Thailand is a Country that is developing fast. Where 15 years ago, there were dirt tracks, now there are pristine motorways and well maintained roads. Bangkok, has become an international hub for business and commerce. In short, Thailand is doing just fine.

So inevitably people want to come and live here. People like myself, and perhaps some of you too.

Living in a new country comes with certain responsibilities, especially as that country is developing.

Here are Homeownerships rules :

1) You should ensure you not only have enough mean to support yourself whilst in Thailand, but also ensure you can support other around you too.

2)There is a Duty of Care, (Male Ex-Pats) that should be assumed when taking a Thai Wife as your Bride. That duty is not just to her, but her entire family. You are the head of the family. Start acting like it.

3)Show respect to Thai People, they deserve it, don't walk around like your the attache from the British Raj or something. Get to know the culture, emerse yourself in it, it will bring you peace.

4. Never be afraid to complain, if you don't like something complain and get it changed. Don't cow tow to anyone.

5. Making the move the Thailand is a big step, think about how you will support yourself here.

6.Dont just seek out friends that are Ex-Pats, actively try and succeed in making Thai Friends. (The vast majority of my friends are Thai).

7. Be mindful of your money, use it sparingly and it will go far in Thailand.

8. If you ever get rose tinted glasses syndrome of your former homeland, just come on Thai Visa, within a few minutes, you will realise your best of staying put. LOL

9. Never be ashamed to brag, the Thais love winners, while Falangs seem to want to either deny there existence or resent their success. Very strange.

10. Finally. Thailand is the best country in the world and its people the warmest, think positive and always try to improve the place.

Now for the business end of the post.

Are most Ex-Pats completely Broke (besides me of course).

Before I move out here, I founded a very successful business and I still own and operate a majority stake in that business. I am a truly happy and wealthy man who is very grateful for the hand life has given me.

That said, a lot of expats are not so lucky and a lot of threads I read, seem to be a lot of people are just hanging in here barely. This is no way to express your contribution to Thai Society.

If you cannot afford to make a difference here, or your just hanging on in, then you have to ask yourself the question. What time is my next flight ?

Sorry but thats just my personal opinion, I wouldn't want some broke foreigner coming to the UK, just hanging on in there. I would want a player, a person of means or at least the ability to bring some skill sets to the table. Come on people, the wheat needs to be separated from the chaff.

• Like 2

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are many many many fellows here that don't have the money for the ticket home, and would also need to come up with the B20K for their many-years overdue visa overstay fee on their way out.

Maybe we should start up a fund; would you like to be a sponsor?

However I'm sure it's less than say 10% are in that desperate a position - perhaps even less.

• Like 2

There are many many many fellows here that don't have the money for the ticket home, and would also need to come up with the B20K for their many-years overdue visa overstay fee on their way out.

However I'm sure it's less than say 10% are in that desperate a position - perhaps even less.

10% is far higher than I could ever had imagined. Dear God.

I invoke rule number 7 regarding sponsership.

1) but also ensure you can support other around you too.

2)There is a Duty of Care, (Male Ex-Pats) that should be assumed when taking a Thai Wife as your Bride. That duty is not just to her, but her entire family. You are the head of the family. Start acting like it.

You wearing a babies bib to catch that dribble running off your chin ?

1) but also ensure you can support other around you too.

You wearing a babies bib to catch that dribble running off your chin ?

I dont understand what your talking about. Try to be lest cryptic.

• Like 1

@homeownership..said.

"Where 15 years ago, there were dirt tracks, now there are pristine motorways and well maintained roads"

What with this part of your post and name you have got to be a troll. Thailand only has one motorway smile.png

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@homeownership..said.

"Where 15 years ago, there were dirt tracks, now there are pristine motorways and well maintained roads"

What with this part of your post and name you have got to be a troll. Thailand only has one motorway smile.png

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think I might of mentioned "well maintained roads" as well. Troll buster thaicbr. LOL

Your 2nd point about supporting her family in my experience is more an isaan thing. My ex gf from bkk and current wife from chiangmai have never asked me for 1 baht. However my ex from isaan.....well lets not go there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your 2nd point about supporting her family in my experience is more an isaan thing. My ex gf from bkk and current wife from chiangmai have never asked me for 1 baht. However my ex from isaan.....well lets not go there

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Understood. I think that might be regional variations to access to economic wealth playing its part there though.

Might I suggest a hobby such as gardening or something. You've obviously far too much time on your hands!

Might I suggest a hobby such as gardening or something. You've obviously far too much time on your hands!

I plan to go swimming this morning at Hua Hin watermark. I hear its not too busy on a weekday. Does that count ?

I mean let just put the figure out there. I for one would love to know the answer :

How much money do you need to retire in Thailand. I bet you have asked yourself that question, so lets start off a proper debate.

I say you need a minimum of 1 million baht a year, to live in luxury (Around £22,000) (USD $33,000)

• Like 1

I mean let just put the figure out there. I for one would love to know the answer :

How much money do you need to retire in Thailand. I bet you have asked yourself that question, so lets start off a proper debate.

I say you need a minimum of 1 million baht a year, to live in luxury (Around £22,000) (USD $33,000)

This was not your opening post...... Disappointed with the number of hits I guess?

• Like 1

Begins with T and ends in L.

My crash helmet is firmly on. Shoulder padded and awaiting abusive and dismissive post from the Expat poor.

Begins with T and ends in L.

My crash helmet is firmly on. Shoulder padded and awaiting abusive and dismissive post from the Expat poor.

Well excuse me for wanting to talk about something else, other than "My Thai Hooker Wife has cleaned me out, what shall I do", usual posts.

I am actually ashamed of some of people who come on here with no money and I also want to know how much is enough to live here comfortably for one year.

I am not being a troll, I genuinely want to know. Isnt that what a forum is for ??

Rather than absolute figures for being here, how about a rule of thumb that just applies to exiting?

Keep a fund back home - untouched - sufficient to pay for airfares etc for your family as well as enough to get settled back in, housing deposits etc and to live on for say six months while you're job hunting.

When you're tempted to start dipping into that due to your dire straits in Thailand, pull the string and head home pronto!

Of course this is a problem if you haven't set things up so your family has the right to go back with you, so add that to the "do while you're flush" list.

Oh, if the kids arrived without planning after you can no longer afford them, I guess you're SOL. . .

• Like 1

Doesn't Thailand and Thai People deserve better than sex pests and the world low lifes descending on it for a free lunch. Its time Ex-Pats started to man up and pay their way.

I am so sick of holding back, for fear of offending people on here. People need telling.

You imply all here are sex pests, hows your bar girl wife and family going, do they leech much from you ?

Doesn't Thailand and Thai People deserve better than sex pests and the world low lifes descending on it for a free lunch. Its time Ex-Pats started to man up and pay their way.

I am so sick of holding back, for fear of offending people on here. People need telling.

You imply all here are sex pests, hows your bar girl wife and family going, do they leech much from you ?

I wish.

Rather than absolute figures for being here, how about a rule of thumb that just applies to exiting?

Keep a fund back home - untouched - sufficient to pay for airfares etc for your family as well as enough to get settled back in, housing deposits etc and to live on for say six months while you're job hunting.

When you're tempted to start dipping into that due to your dire straits in Thailand, pull the string and head home pronto!

Of course this is a problem if you haven't set things up so your family has the right to go back with you, so add that to the "do while you're flush" list.

Oh, if the kids arrived without planning after you can no longer afford them, I guess you're SOL. . .

Top Answer and Top Post.

I have lived for for more than 20 years and know lots of expats. Almost all of them have enough money to live pretty well compared to most Thais. You do not have to be rich to live in a country with a minimum wage of 300 baht a day which very few workers actually receive.

I have lived for for more than 20 years and know lots of expats. Almost all of them have enough money to live pretty well compared to most Thais. You do not have to be rich to live in a country with a minimum wage of 300 baht a day which very few workers actually receive.

This is going to sound snobbish, so forgive me in advance.

300 baht want even buy you a ice cold beer in some of the hotels I frequent. Yes technically you could survive, but why move all the way out here to do that, surely people come here for the good life.

Completely broke? Yes. I'm sure more than we know.

Completely stuck here? Oh Yes! Many are just living month to month. Way below what many of us would consider a comfortable lifestyle.

Many caught Thai fever, sold off everything back home and now can't even afford to find their way back home.

It's unfortunate but true.