homeownership

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have absolutely NO reason why anyone would want to retire in Thailand (visit, YES....retire, NO), unless they didn't have the cash and have a very hard time talking to women back home. I mean, there are tons of better places in the world. Better police, air, food, climate, etc......Italy is fine. Hawaii is nice. Japan is good. Hong Kong, OK. Switzerland pretty nice. San Diego is pretty good. Vancouver, nice. Lots of places in Spain aren't bad either. Thailand is GREAT from November to mid-February...but retire there? LOL.

I don't care if you have a million baht a month.....37 C while eating 30 baht meals and having a woman who can't speak English try to tell you that your gut looks good isn't my idea of paradise.....

I have absolutely NO reason why anyone would want to retire in Thailand (visit, YES....retire, NO), unless they didn't have the cash and have a very hard time talking to women back home. I mean, there are tons of better places in the world. Better police, air, food, climate, etc......Italy is fine. Hawaii is nice. Japan is good. Hong Kong, OK. Switzerland pretty nice. San Diego is pretty good. Vancouver, nice. Lots of places in Spain aren't bad either. Thailand is GREAT from November to mid-February...but retire there? LOL.

I don't care if you have a million baht a month.....37 C while eating 30 baht meals and having a woman who can't speak English try to tell you that your gut looks good isn't my idea of paradise.....

I respect your opinion, I really do. But...

Come on Thailand rocks. It has that spirito de punto, the people are amazing, the weather is fantastic, even when raining, it cost beggar all to live here and best of all the food is out of this world.

Even if like me, you spend every weekday lunch time (While in Pattaya) at the loft, having Beef Soup (x 6) I'm sorry you cant beat Thailand. Its truly a great place to live.

This is part of the reaon for the post, would you go to spain half cocked and with very little money, of course not, so why travel to Thailand like that.

• Like 1

I bkame the mods on here should close posts like this , he just want to start a fight from his mansion in his mind .close threads like this and maybe thaivisa will be a nicer place to visit unlike the way it is very scary for some people ...

I bkame the mods on here should close posts like this , he just want to start a fight from his mansion in his mind .close threads like this and maybe thaivisa will be a nicer place to visit unlike the way it is very scary for some people ...

You see I disagree. A forum is about discussion, debate and above all else listening to each others point of view. I personally never written a post I did not believe in.

This post focuses your mind on the Ex-Pats that come here and contribute nothing, run out of money and run off home. Do we need them no. But then again how do we know we know we are not one of them unless with ask ourselves how much do we need to live here.

Closing a thread like this one, is nothing short of an infringement on freedom of speech. If thats the case, why not have Thai Visa Blog, then your opinion is the only one allowed.

I know, pretty boring isnt it, that thought.

Contribute, I will not be offended.

Edited by homeownership

Interesting topic and as someone said earlier I do think it almost seems a bit troll like to be honest. Plus a hint of arrogance.

I think alot of this subject depends on what your definition of "broke" is and definition of "hanging in there". My question is why would hanging in there be a bad thing anyway ?! Hanging in for a foreigner will still be pumping more money into the system than many Thais do.

This is Thailand not the UK, there is no social system here. If an Expat is hanging in then it is still by default a positive for Thailand. Its impossible to be a burden on the Thai state as a foreigner. Plus hanging in there in Thailand is probably still better than being in the UK in my opinion.

I am a perfect example of this. I am 33 and have been living here for 6 years now. My monthly average income has probably never been more than 25,000 a baht and I have lived a healthy life, visited many parts of Thailand, never had visa issues, have a nice apartment, motorbike and even get out for the sports and some nightlife when i want. Should I not be here then ?

Its all about expectation. I've met people who laugh that i live on 25,000 a month and they say there is no way they could ever do that do that but in actual fact I my income is more than twice the national average wage.

-

The problem is when you've been "hanging in there" for years, continually slipping down and down without money in the bank to be able to get home, where do you go when you hit bottom?

That "get home and re-establish yourself fund" should IMO be a requirement for remaining in Thailand longer than say six months no matter what the visa status.

New idea for the Thai government both to help cut down on the riff-raff and to help those sex addicts that can't help themselves?

Wouldn't apply to pensioners with a guaranteed income of course, something the down-and-outers will likely never see in their entire lifetime unless they come from one of the lucky nanny-state countries.

Edited by boosta
  • Like 1

OP - You said: " I am a truly happy and wealthy man who is very grateful for the hand life has given me".

I am actually ashamed of some of people who come on here with no money and I also want to know how much is enough to live here comfortably for one year.

You want to know how much you need to live on.......why worry, you're wealthy enough. wink.png

• Like 2

Interesting topic and as someone said earlier I do think it almost seems a bit troll like to be honest. Plus a hint of arrogance.

I think alot of this subject depends on what your definition of "broke" is and definition of "hanging in there". My question is why would hanging in there be a bad thing anyway ?! Hanging in for a foreigner will still be pumping more money into the system than many Thais do.

This is Thailand not the UK, there is no social system here. If an Expat is hanging in then it is still by default a positive for Thailand. Its impossible to be a burden on the Thai state as a foreigner. Plus hanging in there in Thailand is probably still better than being in the UK in my opinion.

I am a perfect example of this. I am 33 and have been living here for 6 years now. My monthly average income has probably never been more than 25,000 a baht and I have lived a healthy life, visited many parts of Thailand, never had visa issues, have a nice apartment, motorbike and even get out for the sports and some nightlife when i want. Should I not be here then ?

Its all about expectation. I've met people who laugh that i live on 25,000 a month and they say there is no way they could ever do that do that but in actual fact I my income is more than twice the national average wage.

-

The problem is when you've been "hanging in there" for years, continually slipping down and down without money in the bank to be able to get home, where do you go when you hit the bottom.

That "get home and re-establish yourself fund" should IMO be a requirement for remaining in Thailand longer than say six months no matter what the visa status.

New idea for the Thai government both to help cut down on the riff-raff and to help those sex addicts that can't help themselves?

Wouldn't apply to pensioners with a guaranteed income of course, something the down-and-outers will likely never see in their entire lifetime unless they come from one of the lucky nanny-state countries.

Was your first sentence a direct reference to me or just a generic statement assuming people who are hanging cant go home ?

Dear Homeownership:

That's about all I have to say. This thread is no different than the usual "my thai girlfriend is a hooker but I later found out she was a he then turned himself back into a she" story. Only the later is a lot more interesting then your dribble.

How much does it cost to live here? Seriously, that is the best "new" topic you could think of?

If one keeps throwing darts at the dart board eventually you will hit a bullseye. Keep throwing, Homeownership, no bullseye here.

fer xxxx sake, its DRIVEL. not dribble.

more interesting THAN your DRIVEL.

not all expats are broke, but a fair number of them are dam_n near illiterate.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

Was your first sentence a direct reference to me or just a generic statement assuming people who are hanging cant go home ?

-

Why would you think I was referring to you? Not referring to anyone specifically.

And no assuming, just pointing out a common situation where many people are getting by month to month but don't have anything at all in the bank, can't afford the ticket home, can't afford to get legal on their visa, can't afford the fine required to exit the country, nothing for a deposit on a flat once they do get home, no job waiting for them.

That's what I refer to as "down and out" rather than legitimately "hanging in there".

1) but also ensure you can support other around you too.

2)There is a Duty of Care, (Male Ex-Pats) that should be assumed when taking a Thai Wife as your Bride. That duty is not just to her, but her entire family. You are the head of the family. Start acting like it.

You wearing a babies bib to catch that dribble running off your chin ?

You wearing a babies bib to catch that dribble running off your chin ?

I dont understand what your talking about. Try to be lest cryptic.

Suggesting you don't know the reality i.e. it's the wife's father & mother who are the "head of the family". BTW you mentioned free speech. Sorry doesn't exist on this forum, nor in Thailand - highly regulated in compliance with various Thai laws

• Like 2

I wish to thank the OP from the bottom of my (poor) heart. It is the dawn of a brand new day, and I am invigorated, inspired, and I am going to try and be a better person.

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou.

I have been saving my bottle of Johnny Walker Platinum for a special time, and I think today might just be it. But just a wee nip mind you, not too much, everything in moderation (btw speaking of moderation).

I have taken my last drink of Lao Khao!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc

• Like 1

Suggesting you don't know the reality i.e. it's the wife's father & mother who are the "head of the family".

-

Maybe you're one of those who refused to pay a sin sot?

That's what it's for IMO, the right to take your teerak far away from her family and set up a new completely independent family unit.

Sure you are going to support her well, but it's her responsibility to support them to the extent she is able to from her own resources, not yours.

And her mum and dad have nothing at all to do with your decision-making, if they want to try to influence their daughter that's fine and good, but if you're letting her unduly influence you then again, you're doing it wrong.

Pretty hard to change these patterns once they've set in, but for those who still have options maybe these guidelines will help.

And for sure don't live closer than 6-8 hours travel time to her family or the above takes a lot of energy to maintain.

She's free to go visit them of course, but no need for you to tag along more than once or twice a year, and even then no need to stay over at their house, make it clear you prefer the nearest hotel with hot & cold running water if that applies.

• Like 1

Interesting viewpoint. So living comfortably here on adequate pensions rather than barely existing on them back in the UK qualifies you as down and out?

-

Maybe you missed the part above where I specifically excepted those lucky folk in that situation.

But wouldn't you also consider it pretty sad if they didn't have the dosh to keep their visa status legal nor to buy a ticket home?

That's what I'm talking about.

Edited by boosta

-

Why would you think I was referring to you? Not referring to anyone specifically.

And no assuming, just pointing out a common situation where many people are getting by month to month but don't have anything at all in the bank, can't afford the ticket home, can't afford to get legal on their visa, can't afford the fine required to exit the country, nothing for a deposit on a flat once they do get home, no job waiting for them.

That's what I refer to as "down and out" rather than legitimately "hanging in there".

If someone was in the situation you describe above then yes I would agree with you but seems a bit of an extreme example. As it did come as a direct reply to my quote I have the feeling you may of been referring to an assumed position of mine which actually Ive had before because and shows its all about expectation.

I think what the OP is trying to imply is that he thinks Thailand should only have Expats in it with surplus amounts of money where in actual fact Thailand is no way near ready for that yet. Thailand is doing ok but we are not talking about living in Singapore are we. Even a poor Expat in this country is probably still more of a benefit to the state than the average Thai financially.

Thailand is not at the stage yet where they can start evaluating its immigrants in such a way and I would be interested to see what definitive reason and burden or negative effect someone who isnt rich has on the Thai state.

Edited by rinteln
  • Like 1

Some people have way to much time on their hands (mind you living in Hua Hin i am not surprised) they do seem to feel a little above us Pattaya types ,i suggest to the op he just gets on with his own life instead of just posting generalizations on this forum ,they have all been done to death before.

One thing i can say is that i am not the head of my wife's family as most seem to have more money than me and i am not short of a bob or two.