homeownership

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am a perfect example of this. I am 33 and have been living here for 6 years now. My monthly average income has probably never been more than 25,000 a baht and I have lived a healthy life, visited many parts of Thailand, never had visa issues, have a nice apartment, motorbike and even get out for the sports and some nightlife when i want. Should I not be here then ?

Hmmm, I don't doubt that you're living a healthy and contented life. Have you considered your future? At 25,000 bt/month, I doubt if you're saving very much. And you're not contributing towards any sort of pension or social security. On top of that, you're pissing away your most productive years. If you keep on this path, you will be one of the broke expats that the OP is talking about when you hit 60. And if you have a family....

Edited by Berkshire
  • Like 2

If someone was in the situation you describe above then yes I would agree with you but seems a bit of an extreme example.

-

Perhaps extreme to you, but among the non-retirees here not at all that rare - which to me is the (assuming it's straight) topic of the OP.

-

I think what the OP is trying to imply is that he thinks Thailand should only have Expats in it with surplus amounts of money where in actual fact Thailand is no way near ready for that yet. Thailand is doing ok but we are not talking about living in Singapore are we. Even a poor Expat in this country is probably still more of a benefit to the state than the average Thai financially.

-

Oh Thailand's "ready for that yet", but I think your opinion is that it's not that attractive to the high-end expats. I'll side with the OP and others here that Thailand has something special to offer, and personally think many of us no matter how rich would never want to live in an overly clean and organized place like Singapore or Switzerland.

And I don't think benefit to "the state" is relevant, certainly not statistically significant to the economy as a whole.

Best can be said is we shouldn't become a burden, overly taking advantage of their strained public health system for example - required insurance is also a good idea, but another discussion.

As I've said before the bigger issue is the huge embarrassment we cause the society as a whole by our indiscreet behavior with their daughters, but as the country develops I think that will solve itself naturally as most of us won't be able to afford them anymore and thus the main attraction for settling here will go away.

But they might just take an active role in trying to repair their international reputation by eliminating the blatant sex industry and just raising the bar enough that the relatively skint majority won't be able to stay - excepting exploited English teachers of course.

Okay , as the OP probably wanted to achieve , get some people on the cliff , it worked in some way . I might fall in the categorie , at least sometimes , for getting near the point of not being able to at least stay legitimate here for my visa extension , cause doing business here which I am currently reliant on of my wifes luck ,if I'm able to do it this year or not .

You might say , poor beggar that i am , I do have A Thai family with 2 kids , being 20 and 10 years old , who come first to everything .

My guess is the it does not come to the mind of the Op , I the foreigner do not have any right at all being a husband and father of Thai citizens , in the past I have provided a home , invested in several businesses , some worked some not , but it is very hard to make enough income .

But being uneducated in the fields that might give a work-permit , there is nothing to none the Thai government takes away the stress to foreign husbands to help and provide their families genuine by law , to be able as a Thai citizen , likewise as a Thai to make ends meet .

That's one of the reasons I will to the end do everything to extend my stay with my family , at least till the kids are grown up , although I do understand i perhaps should aim hitting back home and start at scratch , but does that seems fair or not ?

Does the Op think I , my wife and my children don't have the right for me to stay with them ? Or do you think you have more rights just because you are so loaded with cash ? Think it says enough of a lot of you and when judgement day comes , maybe you can see some compassion , is much needed .

• Like 1

I am a perfect example of this. I am 33 and have been living here for 6 years now. My monthly average income has probably never been more than 25,000 a baht and I have lived a healthy life, visited many parts of Thailand, never had visa issues, have a nice apartment, motorbike and even get out for the sports and some nightlife when i want. Should I not be here then ?

Hmmm, I don't doubt that you're living a healthy and contented life. Have you considered your future? At 25,000 bt/month, I doubt if you're saving very much. And you're not contributing towards any sort of pension or social security. On top of that, you're pissing away you're most productive years. If you keep on this path, you will be one of the broke expats that the OP is talking about when you hit 60. And if you have a family....

wow thanks dad . I'm impressed with all those assumptions being made. On what basis do you doubt I am living a healthy life ? Definitive factual reasons I mean. If you doubt I am living a healthy life on 25,000 baht then what must you think of the average thai who lives on 10,000 ?!

In regards to your questions regarding my future. Again a whole load of assumptions made by very little information. Again how are you defining broke ? Is 25,000 a month in Thailand broke.

• Like 1

no ones going to come and admit there broke

-

No one? I have, clear about that in many threads. . .

same as they wouldnt admit there wife was from a bar

-

First one was, so there's another first for you.

waist of time

-

Thicker every year. . .

1)  but also ensure you can support other around you too.

2)There is a Duty of Care, (Male Ex-Pats) that should be assumed when taking a Thai Wife as your Bride. That duty is not just to her, but her entire family. You are the head of the family. Start acting like it.

You wearing a babies bib to catch that dribble running off your chin ?

Yeah don't know where he's coming from with those two.

My wifes family are fantastic, hard working and self reliant. Never asked for for a single satang from me except the sinsod when married, half of which paid for the wedding and the other half returned.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Does the Op think I , my wife and my children don't have the right for me to stay with them ? Or do you think you have more rights just because you are so loaded with cash ? Think it says enough of a lot of you and when judgement day comes , maybe you can see some compassion , is much needed .

-

He would say people like us made silly decisions, maybe thinks persuading a Thai girl to get an abortion is a straightforward thing, or maybe we should abandon our kids like many do. Or made sure she was really taking her pill every day or. . .

If such is his judgmental arrogance, let it be, it is what it is and so is our lot, we've made our bed and now we're lying in it.

Perhaps his attitude is similar to that of Thais with the same wealth he claims to have, but suspect they may be more tolerant and kind. I know the regular Thais certainly are.

wow thanks dad . I'm impressed with all those assumptions being made. On what basis do you doubt I am living a healthy life ? Definitive factual reasons I mean. If you doubt I am living a healthy life on 25,000 baht then what must you think of the average thai who lives on 10,000 ?!

In regards to your questions regarding my future. Again a whole load of assumptions made by very little information. Again how are you defining broke ? Is 25,000 a month in Thailand broke.

-

He specifically talks about the fact that you have to take responsibility for the 40+ years you are likely to live past the point of being able to make a living. The world is getting to be a more uncertain place and no one can depend on their government to be able to afford to do more than barely keep their elderly poor alive by the time you get to that point.

So to be a responsible citizen of society we are obligated to bust our butts spinning the hamster wheel our whole lives in jobs we don't like maybe places we don't like (back home) and putting the pennies aside for forty years like past generations accepted, rather than today's youngsters having the audacity to enjoy themselves while they still can.

Very valid points from where I'm sitting poorer than you in my fifties with kids to raise.

But we all makes our bed and then you have to lie in it, I realize there's a chance I'll be eating dog food forty years from now.

• Like 1

On behalf of many who have just read your insightful musings

... coffee1.gif

To emphasize your observations and comments David, this might help....................

attachicon.gif433-annasophia-robb---giant-troll.jpg

coffee1.gif

Who won't be here long as his 20 Baht will soon run out in the Internet shop.

... facepalm.gif

... if only that was true!

Edited by David48

Discussing the dire straits of the down-and-out does not require bragging about the wasteful squandering of riches that a few here may indulge in.

To say nothing of the expat rich elite HOMEOWNER (apparently) inflating prices in the market place to the detriment of other not so well off, but all the same comfortable and solvent expats.

Yeah don't know where he's coming from with those two.

My wifes family are fantastic, hard working and self reliant. Never asked for for a single satang from me except the sinsod when married, half of which paid for the wedding and the other half returned.

-

He states simply that it's your obligation - and wrt the wife I'll go along - the fact they don't need you to fulfill it I hope you realize is a fortunate situation that is relatively rare here.

hehehe they do show up on occasion those that know how others should live their lives

Hmmm, I don't doubt that you're living a healthy and contented life. Have you considered your future? At 25,000 bt/month, I doubt if you're saving very much. And you're not contributing towards any sort of pension or social security. On top of that, you're pissing away you're most productive years. If you keep on this path, you will be one of the broke expats that the OP is talking about when you hit 60. And if you have a family....

I think the issue is are you able to save any money for your future when perhaps one day you can no longer earn 25k. There is no welfare system here. No freebie pension from the state. Just picture yourself at 75. Now you may already have that covered, you may own property elsewhere or have expectations of an inheritance, in which case good luck to you and continue to enjoy! I think the OP is a complete trolling fool by the way! Edited by iancnx

2)There is a Duty of Care, (Male Ex-Pats) that should be assumed when taking a Thai Wife as your Bride. That duty is not just to her, but her entire family. You are the head of the family. Start acting like it.

Traditionally, in marrying your wife she enters your family, not vice versa. This is the case with most Asian cultures, Thailand included. That is why responsibility of caring for parents and extended family falls usually falls with sons, particularly if they are the eldest. Helping out those who happen to be less fortunate may be the moral and decent thing to do, but it's not your duty.

Jason, it has been my experience that in Isaan Villages men move into the wife's family's house and become part of that family. In my village we have many men that were from other villages and moved here because of their wife, but very few women that weren't born here.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well maintained roads? How many do you travel along? I have seen many a tree branch sticking out of huge potholes to warn others of the danger. Badly rutted roads where it is dangerouse enough to drive a car, let alone a m/c.

Pattaya Sukhumvit for example has one really dangerous stretch where the unwary on a m/c could and have had accidents.

Travelling around another northern city I have driven on roads so badly rutted even the car had difficulty staying on course.

Support the family? Why? cheesy.gif

In the U.K. I did not support her family. I supported my wife and children.

1 lady..... she had 10 Rai of sugar and 2 Rai of rice. Her family had rice, mango and sugar too + they worked in shops, schools and other places.

1 lady.... she and her family have 70 Rai of rice. Why would I support them?

1 lady she also has 10 Rai of rice. She works too.

Seems to me these people can support themselves and 2 of those 3 are from Issan.

And as said in an earlier post..... home ownership? We all know the answers to that clap2.gif

• Like 1

On behalf of many who have just read your insightful musings

... coffee1.gif

To emphasize your observations and comments David, this might help....................

attachicon.gif433-annasophia-robb---giant-troll.jpg

coffee1.gif

more to the point, it is a successful troll, and posting your little pictures wont change that.

yet still you feed it.

want it to go away? don't engage it.

not sure who is worse the "trolls" or the people who call them out.

oh wait, yes i am

• Like 2