Using Thai With Your Computer

cdnvic

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm using Windows 7 pro, openoffice, and mostly tahoma thai fonts for my homework. When I print out a document, what should be ป่า prints out as ปา. In other words, it's dropping the tone mark. I suspect what's happening is that the tone is aligned to closely with the long part of the ป. I've tried a few other fonts (angsana upc, cordia new) with the same problem.

Prior to buying Windows 7, I was using MS Office and did not have this problem, so it's entirely possible that it's a problem related to openoffice.

Perhaps someone out there has had the same problem and knows of a fix??

All help appreciated.

• 10 months later...

How can I get a Thai keyboard for Windows XP? I followed the instructions given before:

Step-by-step of enabling Thai character in Windows XP computer:

• Make sure that you have your Windows installation CD handy
  • Open control panel
  • Double click on "Regional and Language Options" icon
  • Click "Languages" tab
  • Click "Details" button
  • Click "Add" button
  • Select Thai as "Input language" and "Keyboard layout"; For my computer, I selected both Kedmanee and Pattachote; I don't know what it is but it works well in my system until now
  • Click "OK" button in "Add Input Language" window
  • Click "Apply" button in "Text Services and Input Languages" window; You may need your Windows installation CD at this stage
  • Back to "Text Services and Input Languages" window, in "Setting" tab, you can select on how to switch between English character and Thai character by clicking "Key Settings" button

Somehow you may find that this step-by-step is still confusing, then please feel free to drop your questions here (please don't pm me), I'll try to answer it.

The problem is here:

Select Thai as "Input language"

it's not there! On my computer (German version of Windows XP) I have Tartarisch, Tschechisch, Tswana, but no Thai! I checked on two different computers with German Windows and one computer with French Windows, Thai is missing on all of them!

I'm close to touch-typing Thai (means I don't need a keyboard Thai/English or Thai stickers). So far, I used the Thai keyboard on womenlearnthai, but I want to type Thai without internet and switch between German and Thai with "Alt" + "Shift" as I do between German, English, French, Dvorak and Russian.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to a private message with the following link I finally got it.

http://office.micros...P010039424.aspx

The correspondent menue is only accessible via the "start" button and the control panel (not via the language bar). This left one problem: the computer I use is second hand, and I don't have the Windows-CD!

I was hoping installing Thai just requires one file, so I searched and found the required file on the internet, but then another file was required, so I gave up after I read on some forum that about 200 files in five folders are necessary to install additional languages.

But my computer at work has a folder i386. I copied this on an USB-stick and gave this path instead of the CD-drive, and it worked! Now I am finally able to switch keyboard to Thai.

• 1 month later...

For iPad users --

Home Screen

Settings

General

Keyboard

International Keyboards

Select a language you want to add

Done!

Once you're ready to type but want to switch the language on the virtual keyboard, look for the "global" icon located between the numeric and space keys.

• 7 months later...

I use the Thai characters as much as possible when making notes or flashcards, but I haven't grasped all the tone rule explanations. So, as a backup. I write romanised words with the tone marker character eg ^ = falling tone when writing by hand. I tried to use the special alt character set to put these above the relevant letter, but finding it difficult. an explanation from here http://www.theworldo...iacriticalmarks says use alt + 0710 to put ^ above a letter. I couldn't get it to work. The explanation talks about an International keyboard but I have the typical laptop layout for Thailand with Romanised and Thai characters. I'm using Windows 7 with Google Chrome browser - all I get is the 'Ping' - what are you doing you idiot? - sound!

Please have pity if I've missed the obvious.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

For me hands down the best Thai typing tutor:

http://thai-notes.com/typing/thai_typing_trainer.shtml

I have tried several other ones. This one is simple and is all that is needed. I am on Lesson 8 of 50 and am confident that once I finish I will be able to touch type in Thai (albeit slowly).

It's free and online and since it is web-based it can be used on PC, Mac, or Linux.

• 9 months later...

And once you can type on your keyboard using Thai fonts, consider keyboard overlays to make it easier to figure out which keys make which letters.

I just ordered some from: http://www.datacal.com

They have clear self-adhesive stickers with either blue characters (for white and off-white keyboards) as well as with white characters (for black keyboards).

I found this Internet Side http://www.thai-keyboard.de this Shop send Original Thai Keyboards Worldwide,

I wait only 1 week, and the keyboard is from Logitech. I am happy i buy this keyboard, i learn every day.

When i go to thailand i think i understand some.Sticker have too i have see.

• 1 month later...

If you need Vista in Thai or English I guess you could just head to the nearest computer store. If by 'localized' you mean a version in a language other than Thai or English, you may find it very difficult to find one for sale in Thailand.

If you have a reasonably fast Internet connection (and a download manager that supports resume, otherwise you can get cut off in the middle of the file and have to start all over again) it may be possible to download it from Microsoft's website in your language - check that out first. You can of course also contact Microsoft, explain your situation and ask them what solution they can offer you.

Personally I use XP Pro Swedish, and had a friend buy it for me in Sweden, as he was coming over here on holiday.

WIndows Vista particularly support multi Language. Additional Language Packs are still available at Microsofts Website. Check it out:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/language-packs#lptabs=vista

• 2 months later...

I am looking for a good spell checker for computer with Windows 7 operating system. It would be perfect if the package is also available for android phone, in order to be able to see the mistakes you make while you are browsing or chatting (line, whatsapp, normal messages, etc). Must be offline.

Have you seen anything like that?

If you're on a Mac bought in Thailand? Just hit COMMAND>SPACE and you're typing in Thai.

I am using Samsung.

The problem is not to find a way to type in Thai but to find a good spell checker program which will work with Windows 7.

I am looking for a good spell checker for computer with Windows 7 operating system. It would be perfect if the package is also available for android phone, in order to be able to see the mistakes you make while you are browsing or chatting (line, whatsapp, normal messages, etc). Must be offline.

Thai spell-checking used to come with Word 2002, and would then be available for some other Microsoft applications. I have no reason to believe it has stopped becoming available with more recent versions of Microsoft Office.

LibreOffice now has a passable Thai spell-checker on Linux, and I see no reason for it not to work on Windows. The Thai spell-checker was broken before LibreOffice and OpenOffice forked, and I don't know if OpenOffice Thai spell-checking has since been fixed.

Thai spell-checking used to come with Word 2002, and would then be available for some other Microsoft applications. I have no reason to believe it has stopped becoming available with more recent versions of Microsoft Office.

LibreOffice now has a passable Thai spell-checker on Linux, and I see no reason for it not to work on Windows. The Thai spell-checker was broken before LibreOffice and OpenOffice forked, and I don't know if OpenOffice Thai spell-checking has since been fixed.

Downloaded LibreOffice. The spell checker is working.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Does anyone know of a program like:

http://www.keybr.com/

I already have a Thai keyboard, and I want to type in Thai, but faster, without having to hunt and peck.

This is the winner that I found:

http://10fastfingers.com/typing-test/thai

but it still sucks!

It doesn't show you where your fingers need to go.......which is kind of the point of a keyboard trainer program. If just want to copy Thai paragraphs I could do that by looking at any Thai website.......

• 1 month later...

What I found was helpful was to just chat a lot. Could be in FB or something like that, reading peoples comments, trying to reply to them and what not. Even if its super basic stuff this will help establish a good "homerow" kinda foundation to build on. I've learned to type this way (and through Whats APP and LINE on my phone). Either way takes some time to build speed right?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 05/04/2010 at 7:46 PM, Richard W said:

On the problem of Large Thai Script not working when Firefox is upgraded:

I've just had that problem with Firefox 3.6.3. The version (of 'Version 0.1') of the 'Large Thai Script' add-on I found (at Large Thai Script :: Firefox Add-ons for Firefox) had maxversion specified as 3.5.*. I changed that to 3.6.*, but it did not work. What did work was changing it to plain 3.7. (I didn't try upping it to 3.6.3, as on past form Firefox 3.6.3 will soon be replaced by Firefox 3.6.4)

I've merrily been using Large Thai Script for years, but was dismayed to find that it is not compatible with Firefox version 49 (well the 64bit version, anyway).

Well, it seems like there is some kind of "son of Large Thai Script" in the form of "LargeThai"  - another Firefox extension. It  isn't new (last updated 2011), but it does work with Firefox 49 and, although apparently made by another developer, they say it is an extension of the earlier one and is legitimate.  It does seem to work fine. 

This is just for info - in case anyone is struggling with the "death" of Large Thai Script.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/31/2016 at 12:16 PM, BringMeSunshine said:

I've merrily been using Large Thai Script for years, but was dismayed to find that it is not compatible with Firefox version 49

The resurrection lasted until Firefox version 57, but then died when Firefox introduced their new "webextensions" requirements for extensions. It has been possible to run it on the Extended Support Version of Firefox 56, but that has just died, too (@september 2018). 

If you want to use LargeThai going forward from 2018 - it is still working in browsers Waterfox and Pale Moon, which seem committed to keeping all old extensions working.  :)

• 1 year later...

The Firefox extension to make Thai text bigger has now been rejuvenated for the "new" Firefox Environment (i.e. after 2017).

You can get it here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/thai-text-enlarger/?src=search

Kudos to :
- Nate at Thai2english.com for the original version
- /u/This_Hippo at Reddit for the new version

Note: Applies to Mozilla Firefox browser only (versions after v57).  AFAIK, there are no plans to extend it to other browsers.

Archived