New passport, visa and work permit - all at once?!

Hello :)

I am struggling to find out the best way to manage my current situation.

My current passport is almost full, but I have already applied for a new one and it should arrive relatively soon... I am just doing border runs to get the 14 day entry stamp until it arrives...

Once it has arrived I will be applying for a non-B visa and work permit (I have just started as an English Teacher), but what is the best way of doing it? Can I just take my current passport and new passport to the immigration office with all the papers/documentation and have it done there, or do I need to exit on my current passport, and re-enter on my new passport to get 14 days? If so, do I need to do anything differently so as not to confuse border control? And also, I heard that you must have 14 days validity to even apply for a Non-B visa at immigration... is this true? If so I guess I would need to exit, re-enter then zip across to the nearest immigration all the same day... surely not?? Then again.. I wouldn't be surprised!!

Any help figuring out the easiest method of this logistical nightmare is much appreciated :)

Thank you,

Phoebe

The normal procedure is to exit to a Consulate in another country for a single entry non immigrant B visa and then extend your stay 60-90 days later at immigration. Not sure they can convert to non immigrant visa entry for normal teaching positions without having a work permit but as said there is normally a 15 day or more requirement.

Not sure what your nationality is, but please be aware of the following;

With UK passports at any rate, once the renewal process has started for the new passport, the old one is electronically cancelled. As you have stated that you are doing border runs (on your old passport) I would check with your embassy/consulate if that passport is still valid.

It can be a lot of hassle being stopped at one of these crossings on a 'technicality' like this if it can be avoided................wink.png

"My current passport is almost full, but I have already applied for a new one and it should arrive relatively soon... I am just doing border runs to get the 14 day entry stamp until it arrives..."

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1