Russian Special Visa Rules

It's true, we have a 30-day stamp for a stay in Thailand by arrival. And it's does not matter a bus or a plane across the border. Visa to Laos is free for us too.

It's just a friendship third world countries. You can not imagine how hard to get a visa to U.S. or Europe and even more to Australia for us.

So you come to Thailand for a holiday because it is easier. Or am I missing something?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Thai friend go on vacation to Russia a few years ago. She had a good trip. No visa needed.

Are there a lot of Russians coming to Thailand via land crossings? ThaiVisa has taught me that Russian tourists only come here on package tours.

In and out of Laos possibly? 30 days here, 30 days there, quick sortie into China, who knows.

A bilateral agreement eh? OK. I guess that is fair. Most countries won't allow Thais going to their country such a passage. Of course, I kind of doubt that Russia will have much of an inrush of Thais to their country. I will be interested to chat with some more Thai girls on my next trip to see what their feeling is about going to Russia as cmpared to other countries

I don't know, my brother-in-law already went to Moscow for a few days holiday, so there's definitely some Thai's going there because it's a lot easier than going to places in the West.

Japan also recently allowed visa-free travel for Thais, so it's opening up in those countries where they realise that genuine wealthy tourists aren't willing to go through the hassles involved in visa applications for a short break. It's one thing to fill in a 14 page form in a foreign language and get fingerprinted if you're intending to go and actually live somewhere. It's another thing entirely to go through that much hassle for a short holiday.

Maybe easier, but did the brother in law enjoy Moscow?

Actually he did, but that's possibly because he knows some fairly high up people in a bank there, so was being chauffeured around in one of those armed convoys like you see in movies.

Russian passport holders will get 30 days entry under a bilateral agreement with Thailand.

Nationals of the following countries may enter Thailand without a visa

Bilateral Agreement

Period of stay

30 Days 90 days

Hong Kong Argentina

Laos Brazil

Macau Chile

Mongolia Korea (ROK)

Russia Peru

Vietnam

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123

Interesting... A fair number of Thai ladies go to Korea for undeclared work (massage, etc.)... I'm surprised that the Koreans have such an open-door policy (esp. as the Thais get caught often enough).

When I was working in Cheonan, South Korea I meet a few Isaan Thai working in the factories. A few of them overstayed because of the

higher wages. I asked them how they would return home. Those on overstay had big problem.

If you go North you will be stopped by the DMZ border between the North and South Korea. South of the DMZ, you can only leave by airplane or boat.

I think (but am not 100% sure) that Thais can also travel to a few other countries without the need for a visa. When I lived in the Czech Republic I met quite a few Thais who were visiting Prague on holiday. Many of them were also on their way or had just come from Budapest and/or Poland as well. I asked a couple Thais about the visa issue and I believe they told me they got a visa on arrival or a visa was not necessary in a number of Eastern European countries. There are quite a few Thais living and working in Poland and their friends and family come to visit them without much hassle.

I believe you are wrong - below is the IATA requirement for a Thai national air travel. But one visa can cover more than one country so as a tourist should be an easy process for organized travel.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 3 months in a half
year period for holders of a valid "D" visa issued by another
Schengen Member State For details, click here .
Visa Issuance:
- Family members of EU nationals For details, click here can obtain a
short-term visa on arrival (free of charge), provided
holding a reliable proof thereof (e.g. marriage
certificate).

I'm guessing because of the Thailand-Peru Free Trade Agreement

How many Thais go to Peru for a 90 day holiday?

Don't know about 90 day holidays but remember seeing a few Thais in Lima as well as a couple of Thai restaurants. I seem to recall a couple of Thai companies having offices there too.

I'm guessing because of the Thailand-Peru Free Trade Agreement

How many Thais go to Peru for a 90 day holiday?

Don't know about 90 day holidays but remember seeing a few Thais in Lima as well as a couple of Thai restaurants. I seem to recall a couple of Thai companies having offices there too.

Interesting. Good to see the Thais travelling.

A bit of a naive question. But do many people use Tourist Visas to conduct or set up businesses in foreign countries.

It seems that Chinese, Russians and others are doing this in Thailand?

Not sure if bilateral agreement means it works the other way, if you know what I mean.

It's true, we have a 30-day stamp for a stay in Thailand by arrival. And it's does not matter a bus or a plane across the border. Visa to Laos is free for us too.
It's just a friendship third world countries. You can not imagine how hard to get a visa to U.S. or Europe and even more to Australia for us.

"You can not imagine how hard to get a visa to U.S. or Europe"

I suppose we have to be thankful for small mercies then!

Russia is a third world country???

There was a russian guy working at my school, they pay Russians the same rate as any other foreigner basically because they speak English well enough, he was well educated, masters degree in education, got paid more in thailand probably than he could get in his psrt of russia so was even able to buy a car for his father, who passed recently. He's very professional, hard working, he's here with all his family, nice guy he is.

I think parts of Russia are still not doing great in an economic sense, third world is quite a derogatory term which is too general

It's true, we have a 30-day stamp for a stay in Thailand by arrival. And it's does not matter a bus or a plane across the border. Visa to Laos is free for us too.

It's just a friendship third world countries. You can not imagine how hard to get a visa to U.S. or Europe and even more to Australia  for us.

Unfortunately you can thank your countrymen who are corrupt...rude... thieves and just nasty and all those who entered our country tenyears agoon holiday visas... more open then... and never left. Thats one reason why Australia is now so hard to Russians

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well, I haven't been to Australia yet, so I can be very wrong, but from watching the Australian tourists in Patong i would imagine the rudeness of Russians will blend in just fine there.

Sent from my Desire HD using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I brought my Thai girlfriend to Russia 3 years ago for a month. She did not like much the un-smiling Moscow, but for most of the time we went for a kayaking trip in the far North and she absolutely loved it. Asked me to go again this year.

• Like 1

I had a Thai friend go on vacation to Russia a few years ago. She had a good trip. No visa needed.

Are there a lot of Russians coming to Thailand via land crossings? ThaiVisa has taught me that Russian tourists only come here on package tours.

There are many package tourists from Russia, but last time it is more and more of back-packers and winter-living here. I have friends who have come to Thailand from Russia by hitchhiking.

There are no special privileges other than getting a 30 day entry at the border.

Some border crossing are limiting the number of visa exempt entries to 4 which should also apply to the bilateral 30 day entry.

There are many package tourists from Russia, but last time it is more and more of back-packers and winter-living here. I have friends who have come to Thailand from Russia by hitchhiking.

Jeez! Hitchhiking from Russia to Thailand!

That's a lot of borders and a lot of visas. I am impressed with their stamina. Is their a quick route?

Hard to get visa to europe? Russians get 1 200 000 visas to Finland in a year. Only 0,7% of visas were denied.

Edited by hullupullo

It's true, we have a 30-day stamp for a stay in Thailand by arrival. And it's does not matter a bus or a plane across the border. Visa to Laos is free for us too.

It's just a friendship third world countries. You can not imagine how hard to get a visa to U.S. or Europe and even more to Australia  for us.

Hard to get visa to europe? Russians get 1 200 000 visas to Finland in a year. Only 0,7% of visas were denied.

Schengen and US visas are not hard to get for us anymore. UK, Australian, Japanese visas are a lot harder.

I had a Thai friend go on vacation to Russia a few years ago.  She had a good trip.  No visa needed.

Are there a lot of Russians coming to Thailand via land crossings?  ThaiVisa has taught me that Russian tourists only come here on package tours.

There are many package tourists from Russia, but last time it is more and more of back-packers and winter-living here. I have friends who have come to Thailand from Russia by hitchhiking.

Jeez! Hitchhiking from Russia to Thailand!

That's a lot of borders and a lot of visas. I am impressed with their stamina. Is their a quick route?

Not a lot really, just Chinese visa and we are visa-free to Laos. Usually people do not hurry with this kind of adventure, lots of things to see on the way!

A bilateral agreement eh? OK. I guess that is fair. Most countries won't allow Thais going to their country such a passage. Of course, I kind of doubt that Russia will have much of an inrush of Thais to their country. I will be interested to chat with some more Thai girls on my next trip to see what their feeling is about going to Russia as cmpared to other countries

I don't know, my brother-in-law already went to Moscow for a few days holiday, so there's definitely some Thai's going there because it's a lot easier than going to places in the West.

Japan also recently allowed visa-free travel for Thais, so it's opening up in those countries where they realise that genuine wealthy tourists aren't willing to go through the hassles involved in visa applications for a short break. It's one thing to fill in a 14 page form in a foreign language and get fingerprinted if you're intending to go and actually live somewhere. It's another thing entirely to go through that much hassle for a short holiday.

I agree. I am an American, and I can't imagine somebody trying to visit here. I can imagine some Thais willing to go to Russia to try it out. I can't see them being comfortable there. In the USA, there are large groups of Thais in many cities. I worked in San Diego, California for the last three years. Quite a lively group of Thais at the Wat Thai in Escondido. Very nice to go there many Sundays for the food court and