Credit card for Thai airway e-ticket

susanschwaiger

Urgent help needed!

I just bought an e-ticket for my mother on Thai Airway website with the payment of my husband's credit card.

Later, I noticed: that the card holder also must be present during check in.

My husband will not be travelling with my mother. So, will my mother really meet trouble when she checks in ? (She can present the card, but can't present the holder !!!)

Or, is there any authorization letter etc will help ? Any one had such experience before ?

PS: 7 years ago, I was in Koh Samui airport with same situation (with Bangkok Aiwarys). But no problem at all. Not sure if it is still so now...

Thanks a lot in advance

Susan

Thai airways are quite strict on this policy.

I paid for a ticket with my company credit card which is in my name and when I went to check in I didnt have the card with me so they made me buy another ticket. Fortunately I had the cash in hand to pay for it.

Very silly policy. If you go to a Thai airways office with your card then they will verify it so your mother doesnt have any problems.

Just about every other airline company will allow you to pay for a ticket for someone else with your credit card. As long as you go through a secure payment site then there shouldnt be any issues but try telling that to Thai AIrways.

• Like 1

Hi Tolley,

...my mom will have the card and copies of my husband's passport, working permit etc... But no way to present her son-in-low !!!

A quick ask though: later, did Thai airway return you the ticket money that you paid with company card? full amount?... Just curious.

Hi Tolley,

...my mom will have the card and copies of my husband's passport, working permit etc... But no way to present her son-in-low !!!

A quick ask though: later, did Thai airway return you the ticket money that you paid with company card? full amount?... Just curious.

Yes the refunded the money to the company credit card in full. What you have may not be enough.

I would get it done at your local thai airways office beforehand. That way you can be sure nothing will go wrong.

Hi Tolley,

Last question : When you bought the new ticket on site, was the price same as that of the e-ticket or changed (higer...) ?

Same price. You still book it online but then take you credit card down to the thai office to pay for the fare.

Edited by Tolley
  • Like 1

I believe it pretty much states that you have to take the credit card that paid for the flight when checking in for your flight on all bookings. I have never been asked to produce my credit card at check in.

I believe it pretty much states that you have to take the credit card that paid for the flight when checking in for your flight on all bookings. I have never been asked to produce my credit card at check in.

Thats probably because you are the holder of the credit card, so your name on your Passport and the name on your credit card match. I also pay all my flights with my credit card and never had to show the card.

However if passenger name and the name of the credit card do not match, you have to have the owner of the card with you, or give more Informations witch you will find either on there website or by calling the Airline. Best would be to do this before you book the flight btw.

I purchase a ticket for my wife on my credit card with Cathay Pacific. I left for New York a week ahead of her with plans to met her in New York. The airlines told me to bring a copy of my credit card when I departed Bangkok. I showed the agent along with my wife name and ticket number. They noted it on her reservation and we had no problems.

I have flown TG out of BKK probably 80-100 times in the past 6 years, every time booked online and every time without exception asked for my card at check in. Never a problem as I always had the card, only ever some delay once because the card I had used to book had expired and i had cut it in 4, needing a supervisor to attend (luckily I had the pieces with me).

As posted above, TG publish specific instructions (albeit contradictory in some parts) how to handle buying a ticket for someone but not traveling with them.

I have flown TG out of BKK probably 80-100 times in the past 6 years, every time booked online and every time without exception asked for my card at check in. Never a problem as I always had the card, only ever some delay once because the card I had used to book had expired and i had cut it in 4, needing a supervisor to attend (luckily I had the pieces with me).

As posted above, TG publish specific instructions (albeit contradictory in some parts) how to handle buying a ticket for someone but not traveling with them.

+1

Always been asked to show the card even as a frequent flyer with gold card.

My father has once booked a ticket for me.

A copy of the credit card and a signature was suffice.

If you have the card to hand, I doubt it will be a problem.

It is not unusual for somebody else to pay for a ticket.

I have flown TG out of BKK probably 80-100 times in the past 6 years, every time booked online and every time without exception asked for my card at check in.

Never been asked to produce credit card at 20+ flights from LHR to BKK direct.

Though, opposite direction might be the attraction.