Manila bans plastic bags and styrofoam

webfact

Makati City's ban on plastic and styrofoam is now in effect
By Jonathan de Santos

noaa_0.jpg?itok=tnxRB7xI

MANILA: -- Makati City deployed 49 teams on Thursday to check businesses for compliance with a ban on plastic bags that Mayor Jejomar Erwin Binay ordered implemented by this month.

The ban was enacted into a city ordinance in 2003 but establishments were given a nine-year grace period to find alternatives to plastic bags. That grace period was further extended to June 20 to "give establishments ample time to deplete their inventories and replace these with environment-friendly materials." the city government said.

With the deadline up, teams have been deputized to fine those using, selling, and distributing plastic and other non-biodegradable packaging materials like polystyrene P1,000 or from five to thirty days in jail.

Establishments found violating the ban face fines of P5,000. The court can also have the business owner imprisoned for 30 days and their business permits may be revoked.

According to Department of Environmental Services chief Danilo Villas, members of the Plastic Monitoring Task Force that will enforce the ban were briefed on Tuesday on which kinds of packaging are banned. [more...]

Full story: http://manila.coconuts.co/2013/06/20/makati-citys-ban-plastic-and-styrofoam-now-effect

coconuts_logo.jpg
-- Coconuts Manila 2013-06-20

Great stuff! Now we need to get Thailand to do this.

Now now Craig, you'll cause a mass nervous breakdown among the 7 / 11 staff. coffee1.gif

Yes, I have gotten use to a plastic bag when I buy a pack of chewing gum. sad.png

At least they don't put my electric bill receipt in a bag, but that's about the only thing they don't. biggrin.png

Wonder how many places don't supply them or give options. I know Makro doesn't and Rimping Chiang Mai also give some alternatives.

1. Do Philippine bans work the same as anything banned in Thailand? Ignored until everyone forgets why they were banned in the first place

If not, then why can't Thailand do this instead of doing stupid things like banning the sale of alcohol during certain times of the day?

• Like 1

I had heard that China beat the plastic problem by banning low mill thin plastic bags and the sellers add a charge for the heavy mill plastic bags and it makes people re use their bags if they are heavy enough. Makes good sense to me.

Banning the plastic bags in Manila will maybe cut down on some, but like BKK, Manila is located on a river mouth and most of the plastic comes from upriver................it's gotta be a national ban to have any effect.

• Like 2

I was in Rwanda a few years ago. They've banned plastic bags. Big sign at the airport showing the fine if you are caught bringing them in. The country side was beautiful. No trash along side the roads.

Tesco was going to charge for bags a few years ago, but dropped the plan after an uproar. I bring my own and get credits for doing so.

People from other countries would be horrified with the love of plastic in this country, example when I go to Tesco Lotus or 7/11 the checkout not only put my shopping in a plastic bag but often add a second or even third, whats going on there? (Makro on the other hand don't give but sell very thick heavy bags for 11 baht)

http://hellopeter.com/makro/complaints/sales-of-plasticpackaging-of-purchases-920390

1. Do Philippine bans work the same as anything banned in Thailand? Ignored until everyone forgets why they were banned in the first place.. NO
  2. If not, then why can't Thailand do this instead of doing stupid things like banning the sale of alcohol during certain times of the day?

my home city was the second or third city in the Philippines to ban the use of plastic bags. establishments and the people alike are very compliant with the city ordinance. what's amazing is that the ban was implemented abruptly. no weaning period whatsoever. i'm quite confident that Manila can be as successful with the ban albeit not immediately. if parts of the Philippines can do it, so can Thailand.

I was in Manila last weekend, and Makati had flooded again. Plastic bags were everywhere, carried by the flood waters.

As was customary, I bought some liempo on my last day to bring back to Thailand. As I was putting it in my luggage, I had them quadruple-wrap it in plastic bags so I wouldn't get grease leaked on my clothing. From reading the article, I wonder if restaurants are affected as well. THey might be, though. On Saturday night, I went to the Burger Cafe (simply great burgers where you can specify the cut of meat or blend of meats from which the burgers are made) and got carry out (on a Saturday evening, if you want to sit down, you might have a 45-minute wait). It came in a nice paper carry-out bag. Previously, they had used plastic bags.

There seems to be a strong cultural thing about separating food items from certain kinds of non-food items.

Like try buying a bottle of bleach, fully sealed in a bottle, and some kind of sealed food item.

In my experience, you'll get TWO bags.

There seems to be a strong cultural thing about separating food items from certain kinds of non-food items.

Like try buying a bottle of bleach, fully sealed in a bottle, and some kind of sealed food item.

You are right they really seem to separate certain items I never understood why as the items already had their own packaging.

You are right they really seem to separate certain items I never understood why as the items already had their own packaging.
Obviously you drive a car. When the weight limit gets to be too much, and they double bag, I am more assured that my items will not spill on the roadway when the one bag might tear open while on my motorbike. If my food product is all over the road, being driven over, it is not a real comfort to know that the items are in their own pre-packaged package. Also, if they did not give them out at say Villa, how would I take my trash out? All of the bags the I receive get re-used. They are never thrown away empty. Speaking of bottles, you do realize these are all recycled to make your "microfiber" bath towels, and many more items that you use daily.

Obviously you drive a car. When the weight limit gets to be too much, and they double bag, I am more assured that my items will not spill on the roadway when the one bag might tear open while on my motorbike. If my food product is all over the road, being driven over, it is not a real comfort to know that the items are in their own pre-packaged package. Also, if they did not give them out at say Villa, how would I take my trash out? All of the bags the I receive get re-used. They are never thrown away empty. Speaking of bottles, you do realize these are all recycled to make your "microfiber" bath towels, and many more items that you use daily.

Then you would not have a problem bringing your own bags.. and yes I drive a car and a motorbike. I love the Makro no bags just bring your own. You seem to be responsible about it but many others are not. I really hope that they will either let people pay for plastic bags here or ban then it would be a great thing for Thailand.

• Like 1

Most of the bag separation that I see has to do with common sense. For example if the purchase is a bag of chips (crisps) along with bottled beverages the items are separated so you do not end up with your snack fragmented by the heavier objects.smile.png

Most of the bag separation that I see has to do with common sense. For example if the purchase is a bag of chips (crisps) along with bottled beverages the items are separated so you do not end up with your snack fragmented by the heavier objects.smile.png

Common sense i get but its more grouped like food with food (not caring if it is heavy or not) and cleaning stuff with cleaning stuff ect. Might depend on the teller not sure.

Then you would not have a problem bringing your own bags.. and yes I drive a car and a motorbike. I love the Makro no bags just bring your own. You seem to be responsible about it but many others are not. I really hope that they will either let people pay for plastic bags here or ban then it would be a great thing for Thailand.

Making a single destination trip and back carrying a bunch of empty bags stuffed into one's pockets may not be too much of an inconvenience. But since a person without a car may be out and around for hours to various destinations it gets to be a hassle. Just try it.

Drives me crazy when they put my package of drinking water bottles into a bag! They've got a nice carrying handle on them. I take it out and give the bag back to them and they just look confused.

Dear Thaivisa members. Mai sai thung, krap/ka is the magic word! Just say it early enough...

Drives me crazy when they put my package of drinking water bottles into a bag! They've got a nice carrying handle on them. I take it out and give the bag back to them and they just look confused.

Dear Thaivisa members. Mai sai thung, krap/ka is the magic word! Just say it early enough...

Great! But my wife tries to explain to them why we don't want plastic bags and they look at us like we're crazy. Oh well...we try...

I remember a few years ago when that ban on plastic was supposed to start in Bkk and Tesco. I also recall the 'official' word from someone in parliament or some ministry. Not verbatim, but it went something like this: The locals are not ready yet to accept this change. They need to be educated about it'

yeah right, good luck on that one. After nearly 2 years of patronizing my local 7-11, some of the staff still 'dont get it'! I bring my own plastic or cloth bags and they still try to give me plastic bags for items already packaged and in plastic! Go figure, seems like 'common sense' here (LOS) is not an option..

At Tesco the other day I gave the lass our purple recycled bag to pack everything into, gave it to her first up before she grabbed any items, before she got any plastic bag ready.

She spent a good minute or so looking everywhere for the price tag before giving up.

• Like 1

Great! But my wife tries to explain to them why we don't want plastic bags and they look at us like we're crazy. Oh well...we try...

I don't blame them,what will you do when it rains?