Nearly 49,000 infected with dengue in Thailand, 59 dead

webfact

Nearly 49,000 infected with dengue, 59 dead

BANGKOK, 21 June 2013 (NNT) – Nearly 49,000 people in Thailand have been infected with dengue virus, 59 of whom died. Half of the deaths were children.

According to Public Health Minister Pradit Sintavanarong, dengue situation in Thailand is still of concern given nearly 49,000 people have so far been afflicted by the disease.

59 patients have died of dengue fever since the beginning of 2013, and more than half of the number were children. The minister has, therefore, urged all hospitals to diagnose their patients carefully and thoroughly.

The minister has also urged related agencies nationwide to step up prevention measures, including cleaning all water containers and sewer drains, using mosquito-killer sprays, and eliminating all mosquito breeding grounds.
He has also warned those who experience flu, headache, or body ache, to consult a doctor immediately as they could be infected by the deadly dengue virus.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-21 footer_n.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today they fumed our moobahn here in Mae Rim which they do regularly, I hope it helps.

I myself never had dengue fever (in Dutch knokkelkoorts) but a few years ago my ex was admitted in to hospital for 10 days.

They warn us everywhere for it, I hope I never will be affected by it.

It is common knowledge, even in Third World countries, that mosquitoes will only spawn in still clear, clean water.

49,000 infected and only now the Public Health Minister issues this statement?

It appears that not only justice and police move slowly in Thailand..

Where did you get these facts from? It is not "common knowledge" that the breed in clear water (mosquitos do not "spawn").

Also they have NOT "just released" this statement. Y ou just need to read the news more.

There has still not been any speaker warnings on SSCC Pattaya yet about them coming around to spray but I imagine this will happen any day now (I hope).

Has anyone in other areas experienced them driving around spraying yet?

This is truely something to be concerned about AGAIN.

8 years living and working in Cuba. A member of the CDC team that helped eradicate Aedes Aegypti there.

I think you missed a few.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23437542

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/08/17/cuban-health-authorities-admit-dengue-and-yellow-fever-outbreaks

• Like 2

It is common knowledge, even in Third World countries, that mosquitoes will only spawn in still clear, clean water.

Hmmm.

Many methods are used for mosquito control. Depending on the situation, the most important usually include:

Mosquito numbers can be reduced by getting rid of stagnant water around the home or camp sites. Mosquitoes will breed in any receptacle that can hold water including old tyres, unused fish ponds and pot plant holders. (http://hnb.dhs.vic.gov.au/web/pubaff/medrel.nsf/0/3f8df645b3115d87ca2570e000148799?OpenDocument)

It is a very common misconception among the public that streams, ponds and lakes and are mosquito breeding habitats.Mosquitoes cannot breed successfully in flowing water, and streams can only produce mosquitoes when they dry up and leave shallow, stagnant puddles in the stream bed.

Mosquito larvae associated with permanent bodies of water generally live where the water is shallow (1 ft or less), and weeds, debris, emergent grasses or some sort of aquatic vegetation shelters the mosquito larvae from fish and other predators. (http://www.vdh.virginia.gov/lhd/CentralShenandoah/EH/WNV/mosquito_breeding_habitats.htm)

Where : - Roofs of premises, link ways and bus-shelters etc.
Causes of mosquito - The metal gutter is warped and water flow is impeded.
breeding : - Poor gradient.
- Gutter is not maintained and choked with leaves or
silt.
- Choked rainwater downpipe due to mis-alignment
(e.g. downpipe with elbow joints).
Where : - Driveways and aprons of private and public
housing estates and schools.
Causes of mosquito - Drains choked with debris and stagnated with water.
Before everyone starts running around polluting/poisoning all the "clear, clean water", they may want to consider getting rid of some of the dirty, stagnant puddles and pools first.
Used to hate sitting outside of the apartment building or in nearby restaurants in South Pattaya in the evenings due to all the mossies. Every so often the city would spray the gutters and we could enjoy the sight of the hundreds of cockroaches fleeing. I think I preferred the mosquitoes.
  • Like 1

We have been plagued by mossies for the last year, I have complained 3 times and I have asked neighbors to complain (which they won't because they are afraid of authority) and all I get from the local government is "there have been no complaints or reported cases of dengue fever so we won't fog or spray"...so Dear T visa peeps...COMPLAIN...you don't have to get red in the face, up tight, freaked out angry agro....just lodge your complaint with the guys at your local council and eventually they will do something about it. In the meantime, buy a ton of coils, swatters, black hole zappers, put fish in breeding ponds.....whatever.

cheers

Most of the time local people do not care about trapped water, in most rural areas one only has to look down the side of houses--rubbish piled up-old bikes cans bottles tyres - little of it is ever moved.

cleaning and pride OUTSIDE the home is ignored. There are people that do care but a small percent.

I have 2 flower pots full of water for my dogs to drink at will, A good tip is to pour some corn/palm oil on the water, this stops mozzies from breeding.

Very few posters mention about the Thai toilets I think these are the biggest breeding ground, all day WET floor, tiled sink full of water ready for scooping. Most rural Thai homes have these outside toilets--perfect for mozzies.

Just think a metre of PVC pipe and a shower fixing 200 bht tops instead of the tap and water trough.

IT'S BOTHERING to do it, Downright lazyness -half hour to fix. again always have money for mobiles and cigs. And bringing your daughter up in such conditions---shame most families.

• Like 2

Where did you get these facts from? It is not "common knowledge" that the breed in clear water (mosquitos do not "spawn").

Also they have NOT "just released" this statement. Y ou just need to read the news more.

There has still not been any speaker warnings on SSCC Pattaya yet about them coming around to spray but I imagine this will happen any day now (I hope).

Intensive spraying around my area last week (Thep Sathit Chaiyaphum).

I don't know what they use, but it was similar to a flame thrower with smoke instead of flames.

They need to do fly over spraying in planes each year like they do in other countries. This would as least keep them controlled to a degree, but until they start cleaning the place up, it will always be a problem.

Intensive spraying around my area last week (Thep Sathit Chaiyaphum).

I don't know what they use, but it was similar to a flame thrower with smoke instead of flames.

Rural area towns send teams out with smoke guns to kill off flying mozzies and other pests, chemical spray and is effective for about 2 days.

thats when the others emerge from the breeding water and fly-so it's good BUT short term show of willing on behalf of the town.

Better help with a sceme to have local people have a shower fitted in their outside loos. 200 bht

As a PhD biologist - and someone living in NYC where the big worry from mosquitoes is West Nile virus - I am not in favor of neighborhood spraying ("fogging") by men/trucks on the ground (I have seen this in Malaysia); nor spraying from helicopters - as is done in NYC...too many other problems arise - and the mosquitoes will adapt to the toxins (which make their way up the food chain). I would be more in favor of spraying inside houses than broad scale region-wide spraying - that has too many unintended consequences.

When are the mosquitoes active??? At what time of day (malarial mosquitoes are active dawn/dusk primarily) and seasonally - is there a peak activity frame tied to rainy seasons - or not? Who has done studies on this in Thailand - and where are the results published?

It seems too that people need to change their behavior - but knowing the behavior of the mosquitoes would help in structuring when people should be most vigilant...

Anyway, I would like to know much more because I spend three months each year in Thailand (Chumphon area) - doing bird migration studies...I arrive on 31 July this year - and would love to know the current status of Dengue in the Chumphon area...

As I understand it, and I'm not a PhD biologist, there are 4 strains of dengue fever, and unfortunately and infection with one strain doesn't confer immunity to the other strains. The particular mosquito which carries dengue is active in the daytime and is not to be confused with the early evening biters. It is a large mosquito, easily recognizable by its size and the banding on its abdomen.

We have had several farangs in our district (Korat) with the disease. In most cases where the host is immunocompetent there is little risk of death but it is a painful and debilitating illness, and you have to keep off the beer for about 3 weeks because your liver enzymes flare up.

I agree with your comments about spraying, although the spraying in Brooklyn/Queens was very effective for West Nile virus.

Buy some Off or DEET and spray it on when you get up in the morning...and remember don't drink the left over DEET when this is all over.

• Like 2

Mosquitoes only breed in stagnant water

Regardless of what the Thai administration would like to tell us , when you see figures of this kind you can only assume that Thailand is a third world country , continued fogging in affected areas is probably the best defence , quiet obviously this hasn't taken place and we are into the fourth month of this problem, I noticed the authorities in Queensland Australia called a server outbreak in Townsville, with two case reported , so this will give some understanding of the failure of the Thai health department to control Dengue outbreaks, this I might add, happens every year, I rest my case. coffee1.gif