Nearly 49,000 infected with dengue in Thailand, 59 dead

webfact

It is common knowledge, even in Third World countries, that mosquitoes will only spawn in still clear, clean water.

49,000 infected and only now the Public Health Minister issues this statement?

It appears that not only justice and police move slowly in Thailand..

His minions are on the ball as we had nurses giving lectures about it to all the students at the school I work at weeks ago. Also ... this isn't anything new. The same warnings have been issued every wet season for years. The nurses were there last year too. And the year before that...etc etc. The awareness factor is pretty high.

But shame on the minister in being lax in letting you know about it. blink.png

• Like 2

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I am aware there have been a number of infections here in Chumphon, one of them my wife's niece, but not a large number. There have been some outbreaks at some of the schools. There have been teams going around fogging for mosquitoes and distributing information leaflets explaining how to prevent mosquitoes from breeding, been down my street twice in the last month.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by TomTao
  • Like 1

It is common knowledge, even in Third World countries, that mosquitoes will only spawn in still clear, clean water.

Where did you get these facts from? It is not "common knowledge" that the breed in clear water (mosquitos do not "spawn").

Honestly, if someone lives in a country that is plagued with mosquitoes and they still don't know how they breed, or the government is too slow to act even though it has happened every year since the beginning of time, it is probably best that Darwin runs his course.

The cold reality is that the gene pool has no lifeguards?? LOL

Where did you get these facts from? It is not "common knowledge" that the breed in clear water (mosquitos do not "spawn").

Also they have NOT "just released" this statement. Y ou just need to read the news more.

There has still not been any speaker warnings on SSCC Pattaya yet about them coming around to spray but I imagine this will happen any day now (I hope).

Has anyone in other areas experienced them driving around spraying yet?

This is truely something to be concerned about AGAIN.

Been round our way, Tambon Tasala, just south of Chiang Mai main/ old town a few times in recent months.. most recently last Monday... (can't come often enough, really, as long as we're not out walking round the village at the time!)...

Edited by spectrumisgreen

What about the water in the rice fields? Isn't that a big breeding area for the mosses?

yes i think so

Drain the water from the rice fields, we have a mountain of rice to last for ages!!.... Just a joke folks.

What about the water in the rice fields? Isn't that a big breeding area for the mosses?

More sprays will be needed in BKK in the future, as the water rises and the city sinks.

In that eventuality .. mozzies will be the least of their worries. blink.png

• Like 1

Also they have NOT "just released" this statement. Y ou just need to read the news more.

There has still not been any speaker warnings on SSCC Pattaya yet about them coming around to spray but I imagine this will happen any day now (I hope).

Has anyone in other areas experienced them driving around spraying yet?

This is truely something to be concerned about AGAIN.

I live in the Thung Song area of Nakhon Si Thammarat Provence. They sprayed here about two weeks ago without any notice.

Drain the water from the rice fields, we have a mountain of rice to last for ages!!.... Just a joke folks.

I hope that mountain is a Hell of a lot bigger than 65 million kilograms ... because the population of 65 million would be eating pasta after two days.biggrin.png

I hope that mountain is a Hell of a lot bigger than 65 million kilograms ... because the population of 65 million would be eating pasta after two days.biggrin.png

More like 65 million tons?? who knows as figures were given are only hiding the truth....anyway I'm ( pasta ) thinking about it.

It is serious though- 1 in every 900 apprx,,,,, die.

I have had dengue fever twice in last several years here. 59 dead in 2013. The real epidemic is the carnage on the road: how many have died needlessly due to poor skills and non-enforcement of moving violations? That is and should be a public health issue, and can be dealt with, in theory at least.

• Like 1

Mosquitoes only breed in stagnant water

Considering the possible deaths from misinformation ... I have to say, TOTALLY INCORRECT! Mozzies can breed in any 'still' water. Stagnant or not. Including, ponds, puddles, tyres and gumboots.

• Like 1

I have had dengue fever twice in last several years here. 59 dead in 2013. The real epidemic is the carnage on the road: how many have died needlessly due to poor skills and non-enforcement of moving violations? That is and should be a public health issue, and can be dealt with, in theory at least.

And what about the thousands that die because of lack of heath care funding, I agree with what your saying though, but we could name a host of other causes.

This is hitting the young and frail as well in society. Living and home -there is the biggest problem. Families not caring/ or failing to clean areas up --big domestic issue-----grants given to plumbing -toilets and showers--not a tin shack with water thrown around.

You have not been following the news. Public Health has been issuing warnings about Dengue Fever for several months now.

They need to do fly over spraying in planes each year like they do in other countries. This would as least keep them controlled to a degree, but until they start cleaning the place up, it will always be a problem.

I think flight patters do not allow flying over cities like Bangkok etc. Not to many cities around the world are populated by16,000,000 people either.

yes i think so

Not much because the rice fields have little fish that eat the larvae.

And what about the thousands that die because of lack of heath care funding,

Considering the disease is incurable ... and if you are in a demographic prone to dying from it ...you possibly will. Health care or not. Palliative treatment is all that's available. And that won't stop you from dying ... if you are prone to it. Your statement makes no sense.

Good to see many positive posts that they are at least spraying NOW. Nothing here in Pattaya yet and they seem to be late compared to every other years (usually the end of May beginning of June).

I think that you mean where the mosquitoes lay their eggs (which hatch into larvae). And they love nice nutrient rich water like sewage- not clear and clean. I do not know about specific campaigns but this is not a first effort to increase public awareness on mosquito control- Not by a long shot. This post is a real classic. Demonstratively without knowledge and assumming incorrect historical background are combined to derive an idle and belittling statement.bah.gif

And what about the thousands that die because of lack of heath care funding, I agree with what your saying though, but we could name a host of other causes.

This is hitting the young and frail as well in society. Living and home -there is the biggest problem. Families not caring/ or failing to clean areas up --big domestic issue-----grants given to plumbing -toilets and showers--not a tin shack with water thrown around.

"And what about the thousands that die because of lack of heath care funding." On that count you just slightly expanded the venue beyond Thailand, no? I mean if like try Planet Earth if you want to get it in correct context.

Honestly, if someone lives in a country that is plagued with mosquitoes and they still don't know how they breed, or the government is too slow to act even though it has happened every year since the beginning of time, it is probably best that Darwin runs his course.

In your case: survival of the wittiest

I think that you mean where the mosquitoes lay their eggs (which hatch into larvae). And they love nice nutrient rich water like sewage- not clear and clean.

Mozzie larvae do not eat sewage. They can't live in sewage. The ammonia would kill them. Some bacteria and organisms can live there though.

• Like 1

Dengue is a notifiable disease in Thailand. once you get a few cases in an area they will spray.

I had it last year and it was not much for me just a headache for a few days and a few spots but my

Mrs was hospitalised for 8 days.

Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis is the stuff to have if you can get it!

Mossies feed on plants so a lot of these near your home will not help. We put screens up all over the house and now have a mosquito free environment!

Mosquitoes only breed in stagnant water

Considering the possible deaths from misinformation ... I have to say, TOTALLY INCORRECT! Mozzies can breed in any 'still' water. Stagnant or not. Including, ponds, puddles, tyres and gumboots.

Don't get your knickers twisted so quickly. I think you're both on the same page here. Chainarong probably meant stagnant as in non moving, as in the opposite of streaming/flowing water.