Health risk warning !

worgeordie

They also dont know that you need to wash your hands with soap after using the toilet. I sometimes see the people making food in any level of eatery not washing their hands. The food must have fecal matter in it.

Any advice?

Don't forget coughing into their hands, exchanging money, then handling your food without cleaning their hands.

Personal hygiene in developing nations is pretty bad. Part of the reason you get food poison is due to fecal matter that is on the food.

I used to get sick here all the time until I cut out street food and a lot of the cheaper Thai restaurants. Now, no problems at all.

You forgot to add picking their noses, interesting to see beautiful made up girls in the cosmetic depts.,picking away at their noses,and they don't even stop when you look at them ! regards Worgeordie

• 11 months later...

The frozen steaks were very clearly a victim of defrosting, and re-freezing in the Makro on superhighway today, and have been for a couple of weeks. I had time to speak with the manager and he could clearly see my point. Some of the packs were misshapen enough for it to be obvious. He said their policy is to use defrosted meat due to freezer malfunction in the minced meat! Clearly that isn't what is happening in practice, especially since the meat I saw was there for a couple of weeks, which is plenty of time for someone to notice. He took a photo to send to head office. I suggested he should get a new manager for the meat section.

They also dont know that you need to wash your hands with soap after using the toilet. I sometimes see the people making food in any level of eatery not washing their hands. The food must have fecal matter in it.

Any advice?

"Any advice?"

Yeah. Try not to think about it too much as you eat your food.

T

Living in the tropics bacteria obviously abounds.While we love buying our fruit and veges from markets like Mae Hia no way would we buy meat ,poutry or seafood there.

I think its matter of using your own common sense and yes personal hygeine is a pretty low priority in Thailand.Even toilets in major CM shopping centres sometimes have run out of liquid soap,mopping the floor seems to take precedence.

You forgot to add picking their noses, interesting to see beautiful made up girls in the cosmetic depts.,picking away at their noses,and they don't even stop when you look at them ! regards Worgeordie

Next time, get out your phone and start filming, or pretend to film. ;-)

A while back I forgot some uncooked chicken legs in the fridge and they had definately "turned" by the smell. I was just throwing them out and my gf grabbed them. She said her mother would wash them in clear vinigar and they would cook up fine.

Vinegar is a mainstay of the old folk recipes for cleaning, and with good reason. The vim of the vinegar is that it kills bacteria, mold and germs.

there is something less crude in Thailand. They call it Bangkok belly.

The "sawadi craps"

Nice one.

I've heard of Thai-dal wave.

How about some new ones:

Chiang Mai chacha

Loi Kroh crouch

Temple trots

Bangkok blast

Pattaya potshot

Phuket rocket

Farang foxtrot

I have to eat out. The problem is they dont use soap to wash their hands, period. Not just some people. I think they don't believe in bacteria.

Ghosts yes

Bacteria no!

Thats because they cannot see it, most people in Thailand have seen Ghosts, but Bacteria,try and explain that to the ordinary folk.

regards Worgeordie

And they didn't even need a microscope.wink.png

I have to eat out. The problem is they dont use soap to wash their hands, period. Not just some people. I think they don't believe in bacteria.

Ghosts yes

Bacteria no!

Thats because they cannot see it, most people in Thailand have seen Ghosts, but Bacteria,try and explain that to the ordinary folk.

regards Worgeordie

And they didn't even need a microscope.wink.png

they see it through the bottoms of two empty lao kao bottles..... can then see things not possible to be seen by a powerful microscope