What are the things that annoy you about living in Thailand?

dogpoo

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a problem with the caddies here. They aren't the most knowledgeable bunch but the ones that I have experienced in the last 12 years of playing golf here have all been willing and friendly.

Your thread title was about annoyances in Thailand rather than Phuket but I think generally the issues are quite often pretty much the same and NKM's list from another thread sums the major ones up:

No transport, traffic, pollution (noise, air, water and rubbish) poor roads, rising crime (petty and violent) drug abuse, failing infastructure, too much construction, corrupt police and officials, unfriendly locals, dodgy expats, black outs, flooding and an ever increasing cost of living.

I must admit that the one that really affects me at present is the traffic but in comparison to some other places I've visited in Thailand (such as BKK, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and even Khorat at times) and other countries I have lived in, it isn't really that bad.

In fact probably more than the traffic itself, my greatest annoyance is the general standard of driving on the island, which does seem to be worse than elsewhere.

Although I have made it clear I hate golf caddies here they have never been so bad as to stop me playing golf, I just hate having a caddie forced upon me, that fact makes everything they do seem worse, I choose not to play golf any longer so problem solved!! Yes the traffic is bad but I can go a different route to avoid the worst, poor roads are definitely a big annoyance, never experienced unfriendly locals, never been affected by crime, police and lack of law enforcement is a problem, never met any dodgy expats, standard of driving is poor but it was not great back in the UK.

Obviously you have had some bad experiences with the caddies here. Any course in particular?

As I said, I have never had any problems with them. They have all been friendly and willing but I don't really see them as true caddies but rather just someone to lug my golf bag round for a few hours and in this heat, they're most welcome.

I suppose that if you take a buggy, then they would be quite superfluous though.

• Like 1

plastic bags. if Thailand is truly the hub of anything, its over bagging in 7/11, the markets, everywhere. i say put a 1 bhat tax on each plastic bag, the government will make billions and the streets will be clean of plastic bags in a week.

I agree with that.

plastic bags. if Thailand is truly the hub of anything, its over bagging in 7/11, the markets, everywhere. i say put a 1 bhat tax on each plastic bag, the government will make billions and the streets will be clean of plastic bags in a week.

Go to 7/11 and buy a can of coke.

They will put it in a plastic bag and give you 3 straws, sometimes more.

• Like 2

Obviously you have had some bad experiences with the caddies here. Any course in particular?

As I said, I have never had any problems with them. They have all been friendly and willing but I don't really see them as true caddies but rather just someone to lug my golf bag round for a few hours and in this heat, they're most welcome.

I suppose that if you take a buggy, then they would be quite superfluous though.

Phuket country club country course was by far the worst experience I have ever had playing golf anywhere, but it's because these people are forced upon me makes it all seem bad, I want to manage my own gear, obviously this can not happen here so it's no golf for me, that is not a problem golf is not everything!!

I have no real problem living in Thailand.

However, living on Planet Phuket is a different question. I have listed the main issues, for me, on another thread, and they have been quoted by another member in an above post.

I, and possibly others, wait and wait and wait for Phuket to come into line with the rest of Thailand, sadly it does not appear like it will ever happen.

Since change is not coming to Phuket, many are changing their envioronment. Eg Big Bill - and a few friends of mine have already left Phuket.

Really, no one on Phuket is asking for Phuket to be like Singapore. All most want here is simply what other places in Thailand have, nothing more, nothing less, but all we get, year after year is more BS, with things getting worse and worse, and for that privilege, you get to pay the highest prices in Thailand, for everything.

So, if I had to pick an annoyance for only "Thailand" as opposed to "Phuket" - for me, I would say the Thailand visa laws. In my opinion, they are outdated, labour intensive and cumbersome, and in true Thai style, make visas a big money making industry out of farang.

• Like 2

<snip>

So, if I had to pick an annoyance for only "Thailand" as opposed to "Phuket" - for me, I would say the Thailand visa laws. In my opinion, they are outdated, labour intensive and cumbersome, and in true Thai style, make visas a big money making industry out of farang.

I don't know why folks moan about Thai Immigration. Try and live long time in Singapore, I know, I tried that 20 years ago. Even worse rules than Thailand. Last holiday I took to Vietnam I got talking to a guy on the flight doing his visa run from Vietnam and back. He ranted on to me about their visa rules.

<snip>

I don't know why folks moan about Thai Immigration. Try and live long time in Singapore, I know, I tried that 20 years ago. Even worse rules than Thailand. Last holiday I took to Vietnam I got talking to a guy on the flight doing his visa run from Vietnam and back. He ranted on to me about their visa rules.

Vietnam offers 6 month and 1 year, multi-entry, tourist visas.

None of the BS you have here - straight out pay your money for the visa and live there on a tourist visa. They can also be extended from within the country.

If you are married to a Vietnamese National - you get a 5 year multi-entry visa. No 850,000 baht in the bank BS etc etc.

Who could complain about that?

Not to mention, if you own a bar in Vietnam, Cambodia, Lao etc - you can actually serve a beer in the bar that you own. :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Thais are the worst thing about Thailand, if we could just round them all up and, well not hurt them although actually I would enjoy watching the suffer, a bit. Not life threatening... Maybe just waterboarded.. or showed pics of a certain someone with obscenities ballooned in.. . But if we could send them to outer space or use a wormhole to suck them away , Ahh, then it would be fantastic.

Of the course the mongers will have other thoughts..

• Like 1

I've never had a problem with the caddies here. They aren't the most knowledgeable bunch but the ones that I have experienced in the last 12 years of playing golf here have all been willing and friendly.

Not to mention that a lot of them will let you go for the 19th.

55555 very good!!

I enjoy living here, i like the weather, the people, the nice restaurants,good life style, cost of living, my only real problem is the ''Driving Standards'' and its not just contained

to Phuket, its ''Thailand'' as a country.

Apart from that , Happy as Larry.., beats ''Blighty in many ways''..

I have no real problem living in Thailand.

However, living on Planet Phuket is a different question. I have listed the main issues, for me, on another thread, and they have been quoted by another member in an above post.

I, and possibly others, wait and wait and wait for Phuket to come into line with the rest of Thailand, sadly it does not appear like it will ever happen.

Since change is not coming to Phuket, many are changing their envioronment. Eg Big Bill - and a few friends of mine have already left Phuket.

Really, no one on Phuket is asking for Phuket to be like Singapore. All most want here is simply what other places in Thailand have, nothing more, nothing less, but all we get, year after year is more BS, with things getting worse and worse, and for that privilege, you get to pay the highest prices in Thailand, for everything.

I think most of the issues you listed for Phuket are also true of the most popular areas of Thailand. Phuket is far from perfect but then again so is everywhere else that I have lived or visited. Expats the world over seem to have complaints about where they are living.