Why is it so hard to find a good nanny?

kurnell

@ kernel

S-s-s-s okay, there sahib kernell, sir.

At this point no one on this thread is left wondering what kind of a person you'd be to work for :-)

Good luck in your search.

Well said mate...

So for the pittance offered... a "nanny" starts work at 6am (give or take an hour)... works no-stop doing chores etc... then finishes at.. 9pm-ish (give or take an hour), 7 days a week....

Hmmmm... and from the OP, it seems there is a mean streak present, which would add to the slaves problems.... nobody buys a nanny... they buy a slave at those rates and hours.

So what other options are there out there for people with no education? 14 hours a day in a factory obit? That is the reality -sunshine. A cushy job mincing about our house all day is far preferable to sweating for an abusive boss. and believe me I know what I am talking about as my neighbor has a factory that hires Burmese for 150 baht a day.

...and where did you get your 6am-9pm non-stop work, 7 days a week from? A fantasy you read on TV? Man I think you need a hobby rather than doling out drivel on this forum

@ kurnell

Point taken. Anyone on this board who won't go along with your jive-@$$ rugby-union bully-boy attitude is "doling out drivel" then.

Wipe your own poo, then.

@ "drivel dolers "

He dongeddit.

Fuggedaboudit.

If you had anything worthwhile to say, I might consider it. But then I am sure you hear that comment quite often.

• Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 plus nannies??

A reasonable person may ask why so many.

Is it the nannies at fault? or the employer?

I find it hard to fathom at times how little people think of their own flesh and blood - their children - and relate them back to baht expended.

To have a couple of kids and then complain that the hired help is no good or unreliable says more about the type of parents involved than the type of nannies they employ.

Lets face it , if you haven't got time for your own kids then it is likely you won't have much time for anyone else, nannies included. To use the excuse that you need to hire someone to look after your kids while you are too busy making money is a low excuse and can be treated with contempt (as you surely will be by your kids over time).

Your life....your choices. Stop whining.

I amazed at the mount of anger from people such as yourself that a) are clueless of my situation eg. both myself and my wife work full time and B) making assumptions based on nothing more than your own personal guess. This forum is full of people like you and I really don't know why you bother to respond, other than the fact that you are likely unemployed and have nothing better to do. So I suggest you take off your Luke Skywalker jim jams, turn off your computer and go out and see the world. Then come back and give me your opinion.

20 plus nannies??

I find it hard to fathom at times how little people think of their own flesh and blood - their children - and relate them back to baht expended.

To have a couple of kids and then complain that the hired help is no good or unreliable says more about the type of parents involved than the type of nannies they employ.

Lets face it , if you haven't got time for your own kids then it is likely you won't have much time for anyone else, nannies included. To use the excuse that you need to hire someone to look after your kids while you are too busy making money is a low excuse and can be treated with contempt (as you surely will be by your kids over time).

I amazed at the mount of anger from people such as yourself that a) are clueless of my situation eg. both myself and my wife work full time and cool.png making assumptions based on nothing more than your own personal guess. This forum is full of people like you and I really don't know why you bother to respond, other than the fact that you are likely unemployed and have nothing better to do. So I suggest you take off your Luke Skywalker jim jams, turn off your computer and go out and see the world. Then come back and give me your opinion.

ok...Skywalker jim jams off (that turn you on??)f, employment gained, world seen (on a number of occasions....wanke_rs noted) .done that boss/bwana, your highness (gee can't see why you can't keep employees) and reporting with opinion as commanded.

Situation hasn't changed. get a life and some respect for other people. If your kids are worth 20k baht a month then pay that. As I said...your life your choices.

edit: to add I hold no anger merely passing comment. that is what happens on forums. My guess that you both work full time was spot on though.

edit 2.....not unemployed but getting very close to the point of not having to work ever again.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1

I think you don't know the difference between a nanny and a cook. They are two different occupations. If you want a cook, then hire a cook, not a nanny.

And if you pay 8K, what do you expect. Not trying to be harsh here, but it seems you want someone who is a nanny, cook, cleaner all rolled into one, who will work dawn to dusk for little pay. I'm not surprised that they all left. I wouldn't even start.

If you want a nanny, then hire one and only give them nanny duties. I don't know what nannies in Thailand are like, but in the UK, a good nanny would be properly trained. They wouldn't expect to be cleaning and cooking.

Where do I say I pay 8k? Mate you are commenting on something you do not have a clue about.

your post says between 8-15k thats where you say 8000k dont you remember what youv written or has brasco tied you in knots hahahahaha,,whose the clueless one???????,,,,,,jogon

• Like 1

I think you don't know the difference between a nanny and a cook. They are two different occupations. If you want a cook, then hire a cook, not a nanny.

And if you pay 8K, what do you expect. Not trying to be harsh here, but it seems you want someone who is a nanny, cook, cleaner all rolled into one, who will work dawn to dusk for little pay. I'm not surprised that they all left. I wouldn't even start.

If you want a nanny, then hire one and only give them nanny duties. I don't know what nannies in Thailand are like, but in the UK, a good nanny would be properly trained. They wouldn't expect to be cleaning and cooking.

Where do I say I pay 8k? Mate you are commenting on something you do not have a clue about.

We have also paid them anything from 8-15k

Right, so you read it again and you still can't see anything wrong? Or did you fail maths in 3rd class?

You probably failed.

Anything from 8-15k means:

You paid 8K

You paid 15k

You paid some more then 8k but less then 15k.

• Like 1

We've had one good nanny in the past two years. She was a five day a week 9 to 5 woman who cared for my son and when he was napping did laundry and light cleaning. When he didn't nap, she didn't do the extra work. She left abruptly as pretty much all domestic help does. She lasted eighteen months.

During that time my wife has had a second child and we've tried to use Vietnamese women. They are better workers but don't do as well as the Thais with caring for children. They talk on the phone constantly and leave the moment a better job appears.

We would love to try Burmese, Khmers, hell ANYONE! We are desperate like the OP. We up in Isaan if anyone knows of anyone.

For what it's worth, I did post an ad on Thai Visa and did get one call from a woman in Bangkok who wanted a Bangkok area job.

I think part of the problem is a general labor shortage and wage inflation. Thais have options and many pass on a crying baby with dirty diapers.

We are past the crying baby part so our job is a doddle, but we still can't find a decent nanny or HOUSEKEEPER or whatever. Our current "nanny" is asleep on the living room floor. Lazy ass.

I pay staff, straight out of university 15k to work in my office. To pay an uneducated, lazy nanny the same amount irritates the hell out of me. How difficult is it to turn on a washing machine, cook a few meals and sweep a few floors?

if shes lazy sack her then,,but you wont will you ,its below you to do menial work isnt it,,,uneducated,???why would an educated person want to be a nanny,,,coffee1.gif ,,,,,,,,you are quality,,,

• Like 1

20 plus nannies??

I amazed at the mount of anger from people such as yourself that a) are clueless of my situation eg. both myself and my wife work full time and cool.png making assumptions based on nothing more than your own personal guess. This forum is full of people like you and I really don't know why you bother to respond, other than the fact that you are likely unemployed and have nothing better to do. So I suggest you take off your Luke Skywalker jim jams, turn off your computer and go out and see the world. Then come back and give me your opinion.

oooooooooooooooooow who isnt getting his own way.and cant take the truth being thrown at him,,,(HE MUST BE THAI),,,hahahaha

@ kernel

At this point no one on this thread is left wondering what kind of a person you'd be to work for :-)

Well said mate...

So for the pittance offered... a "nanny" starts work at 6am (give or take an hour)... works no-stop doing chores etc... then finishes at.. 9pm-ish (give or take an hour), 7 days a week....

Hmmmm... and from the OP, it seems there is a mean streak present, which would add to the slaves problems.... nobody buys a nanny... they buy a slave at those rates and hours.

So what other options are there out there for people with no education? 14 hours a day in a factory?

14 hours a day is illegal, just like your "work agreement"

http://www.mol.go.th/sites/default/files/images/jpg/01.pdf

• Like 1

Maybe you don't really need a nanny. Even though both of you work full time, you and your wife could be getting them off to school in the morning, having dinner with them, spending the evening with them and putting them to bed at night. Maybe what you really need is a babysitter to look after them from the end of school until dinner time. Perhaps some of your children's friends at school have stay at home moms who would be glad, with reasonable payment, to look after your children after school. Both my husband and I worked full time at very demanding jobs but found this to be the best care for our children when they were young.

Having to relate to 20 different nannies in 7 years must have been very difficult for your children. Imagine if your boss changed every 3-6 months and you were constantly having to adjust to a new management style.

Hopefully you and your wife will consider a change in how you balance your work and family responsibilities. Your children will be happier and you will be more relaxed knowing that your children are receiving the best possible care, your care, not a constant stream of strangers.

Rearing two children while working full time is not easy. I sincerely hope that you find a solution that meets your family's needs.

@ kernel

Well said mate...

So what other options are there out there for people with no education? 14 hours a day in a factory? That is the reality sunshine. A cushy job mincing about our house all day is far preferable to sweating for an abusive boss. and believe me I know what I am talking about as my neighbor has a factory that hires Burmese for 150 baht a day.

...and where did you get your 6am-9pm non-stop work, 7 days a week from? A fantasy you read on TV? Man I think you need a hobby rather than doling out drivel on this forum

You seem to be doing ok for someone with no education...

• Like 2

I don't get why so many people here are being so rude. The OP has a legitimate problem and came to the right place looking for a solution. Good luck to the OP.

Most people do not know what it's like managing domestic help in a foreign country. The challenges are exacerbated by money. Not everyone has the budget to hire a pre-screened fully professional au pair. And it's also difficult to pay a domestic worker what a university grad might get.

Beyond money, there are countless cultural hang ups among Thais and foreigners that make it difficult. If you have educated or professional Thai as a spouse, they are not going to treat domestic help in the same way Westerner would.

It gets complicated quickly. But many suggestions made here are sound, especially the ones that talk about training and job description and schedules. If domestics are trained, given a clear outline of the duties and given a start and stop time for their workday, with a little respectful treatment, they might hang for awhile. But even then, they may bolt as soon as something better comes along.

Edited by SaamBaht

whistling.gif Did you ever hear of the "mother in law" syndrome? When the mother in law swears the spouse is not good enough for her precious child?

There's a variety of that syndrome which swears that the babysitter/maid/cook/ or nanny is not good enough for the child.

Ask yourself why a nanny ..... hired to take care of the child, I presume, should also be expected to:

cook

clean the house

do the laundry

etc.

Frankly would you actually do all that for minimum wage?

Be honest with yourself ...... would you be happy with that job?

And then have to work for someone who was never satisfied with your performance because you aren't worthy of his or her perfect little angel of a baby.

How long would you tolerate such treatment?

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

If the nanny is used just to dress your kids in the morning, is it that hard to do for you and your wife?

Seems like you don't really need a nanny, but again you say the nanny has nothing to do in the afternoon, if you and your wife work I'm sure the nanny takes care of the kids in the afternoon when they get back from class. If they do take of your kids after school, it will be hard for them too clean and cook for your guys when you come home.

Average going rates for Bangkok maid are around 15,000 to 21,000 baht if you were to find a decent one

The rich thais seem to be able to get foriegn nannies for as low as 8000 though.

Try asking friends who have good nannies to introduce their fellow village friends, or look for maids around communities close to International Schools, there are always nannies who need a job when a family moves.

As you said if the nanny/maid has nothing else to do other then dressing the kids, I don't see why they can't clean the house during the day.

Its hard to find maids nowadays because nobody likes the title, they feel its low class. Many maids rather be a masseus at health land, waiter, sales person even though they make less money, the work is easier and they can slack off more.

Good luck on your search.

This happens a lot on forums like this one; Kurnell asks a relatively simple question, Brasco comes back with a long story including car washing or driving skills (?).

-Burmese nanny's; dedicated to the work but often too scared to take responsibility to take a taxi to visit a doctor / hospital. Most of them are illegal here and the ones with a 'visa' ask incredible amounts not in line with the work.

-Thai nanny's; enough dedicated if you keep being consequent and check regularly no negligence comes in......do not expect growing affection for your children. It is the salary what motivates.

-Filippine nanny's; reliable, better communication skills and no easy job hoppers.

-Khmer nanny's; idem Filippino's

Nanny agencies; they promise 'the world' but better do your recruitment by yourself and place advertisements or ask your network.

20 plus nannies??

ok...Skywalker jim jams off (that turn you on??)f, employment gained, world seen (on a number of occasions....wanke_rs noted) .done that boss/bwana, your highness (gee can't see why you can't keep employees) and reporting with opinion as commanded.

Situation hasn't changed. get a life and some respect for other people. If your kids are worth 20k baht a month then pay that. As I said...your life your choices.

edit: to add I hold no anger merely passing comment. that is what happens on forums. My guess that you both work full time was spot on though.

edit 2.....not unemployed but getting very close to the point of not having to work ever again.

Are you a native English speaker?

your post says between 8-15k thats where you say 8000k dont you remember what youv written or has brasco tied you in knots hahahahaha,,whose the clueless one???????,,,,,,jogon

Mate learn to 1. Spell 2. Punctuate 3. I would even go into your appalling grammar

20 plus nannies??

try looking after your own children ,,,no-one will ever be good enough for you ,,the crap wages you pay ,and you both work fulltime an embarrasment to western males,,you want a slave not a nanny,,,

I'd love a slave. Wanna wash one of my 3 cars genius?

We've had one good nanny in the past two years. She was a five day a week 9 to 5 woman who cared for my son and when he was napping did laundry and light cleaning. When he didn't nap, she didn't do the extra work. She left abruptly as pretty much all domestic help does. She lasted eighteen months.

During that time my wife has had a second child and we've tried to use Vietnamese women. They are better workers but don't do as well as the Thais with caring for children. They talk on the phone constantly and leave the moment a better job appears.

We would love to try Burmese, Khmers, hell ANYONE! We are desperate like the OP. We up in Isaan if anyone knows of anyone.

For what it's worth, I did post an ad on Thai Visa and did get one call from a woman in Bangkok who wanted a Bangkok area job.

I think part of the problem is a general labor shortage and wage inflation. Thais have options and many pass on a crying baby with dirty diapers.

We are past the crying baby part so our job is a doddle, but we still can't find a decent nanny or HOUSEKEEPER or whatever. Our current "nanny" is asleep on the living room floor. Lazy ass.

I pay staff, straight out of university 15k to work in my office. To pay an uneducated, lazy nanny the same amount irritates the hell out of me. How difficult is it to turn on a washing machine, cook a few meals and sweep a few floors?

if shes lazy sack her then,,but you wont will you ,its below you to do menial work isnt it,,,uneducated,???why would an educated person want to be a nanny,,,coffee1.gif ,,,,,,,,you are quality,,,

I knew you'd love me in the end

20 plus nannies??

oooooooooooooooooow who isnt getting his own way.and cant take the truth being thrown at him,,,(HE MUST BE THAI),,,hahahaha

Yes, I must be Thai. Or you are an appalling judge of people and a racist to boot. Mate, you fight a battle elsewhere as you are failing badly hee

@ kernel

Well said mate...

So what other options are there out there for people with no education? 14 hours a day in a factory?

14 hours a day is illegal, just like your "work agreement"

http://www.mol.go.th/sites/default/files/images/jpg/01.pdf

14 hours a day is illegal? Have you ever been to Thailand?

I don't get why so many people here are being so rude. The OP has a legitimate problem and came to the right place looking for a solution. Good luck to the OP.

Most people do not know what it's like managing domestic help in a foreign country. The challenges are exacerbated by money. Not everyone has the budget to hire a pre-screened fully professional au pair. And it's also difficult to pay a domestic worker what a university grad might get.

Beyond money, there are countless cultural hang ups among Thais and foreigners that make it difficult. If you have educated or professional Thai as a spouse, they are not going to treat domestic help in the same way Westerner would.

It gets complicated quickly. But many suggestions made here are sound, especially the ones that talk about training and job description and schedules. If domestics are trained, given a clear outline of the duties and given a start and stop time for their workday, with a little respectful treatment, they might hang for awhile. But even then, they may bolt as soon as something better comes along.

Finally some common sense.

Don't forget the part where you lurk and fardel around for a few days and the swoop in to rescue the troll and castigate the lot of us with your supercilious, know-it-all, condescension capsular zing "the really of it all"

What a guy.

You ranting to anyone in particular? Again, medication, medication, medication!

If the nanny is used just to dress your kids in the morning, is it that hard to do for you and your wife?

Seems like you don't really need a nanny, but again you say the nanny has nothing to do in the afternoon, if you and your wife work I'm sure the nanny takes care of the kids in the afternoon when they get back from class. If they do take of your kids after school, it will be hard for them too clean and cook for your guys when you come home.

Average going rates for Bangkok maid are around 15,000 to 21,000 baht if you were to find a decent one

The rich thais seem to be able to get foriegn nannies for as low as 8000 though.

Try asking friends who have good nannies to introduce their fellow village friends, or look for maids around communities close to International Schools, there are always nannies who need a job when a family moves.

As you said if the nanny/maid has nothing else to do other then dressing the kids, I don't see why they can't clean the house during the day.

Its hard to find maids nowadays because nobody likes the title, they feel its low class. Many maids rather be a masseus at health land, waiter, sales person even though they make less money, the work is easier and they can slack off more.

Good luck on your search.

21k is excessive. I would guess that only expats with an allowance for a nanny would pay that much. As I said, we paid 15k for a Burmese nanny that couldn't cook and wanted to watch TV all day

This happens a lot on forums like this one; Kurnell asks a relatively simple question, Brasco comes back with a long story including car washing or driving skills (?).

-Burmese nanny's; dedicated to the work but often too scared to take responsibility to take a taxi to visit a doctor / hospital. Most of them are illegal here and the ones with a 'visa' ask incredible amounts not in line with the work.

-Thai nanny's; enough dedicated if you keep being consequent and check regularly no negligence comes in......do not expect growing affection for your children. It is the salary what motivates.

-Filippine nanny's; reliable, better communication skills and no easy job hoppers.

-Khmer nanny's; idem Filippino's

Nanny agencies; they promise 'the world' but better do your recruitment by yourself and place advertisements or ask your network.

Yes, Brasco needs another hobby. Something dangerous preferably

At the risk of sounding a bit male chauvinistic ain't that what a wife is for.........to be the nanny?

That is the way I use mine, except when she is busy washing dishes and washing the cars.:P

That is not chauvinstic, if you bring the majority of money, she should also provide something...