Body of tortured, executed man dumped near Phuket school

webfact

Body of tortured, executed man dumped near Phuket school
Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Police are trying to establish the motive behind the torturing and execution of a man whose body was found in Koh Kaew, north of Phuket Town, this morning.

Col Sien Kaewthong of the Phuket City Police named the victim as Niwat Si-urai, 37.

Police believe Mr Niwat was killed eight hours before his body was found by 52-year-old local resident Chalerm Bootnadee.

“I was jogging at about 6am when I saw something in the grass. I went over to see what it was, and I was shocked to find the body of a man. I called the police immediately,” Mr Chalerm told the Phuket Gazette.

Mr Niwat’s body was found near a lagoon about 500 meters from the British International School – Phuket.

Police believe several people were involved in the crime and that Mr Niwat was killed elsewhere and his body dumped by the lagoon.

“Mr Niwat’s hands were tied behind his back with a black shoelace and his head was covered with a black-red sarong,” Phuket City Police Inspector Yongyuth Kongmalai told the Gazette.

The body showed signs of the man having been tortured.

“There were many cuts on the body; most were about 10 centimeters long. There was a deep cut above his left eyebrow and cuts on his upper lip. His upper teeth were all smashed.

“He appears to have also suffered a blow to the back of his head by a hard object,” Lt Col Yongyuth explained.

No potential murder weapon was found, but officers did record car tyre tracks found at the scene.

“We found a Nokia mobile phone about 30 meters from the body,” he said.

“Mr Niwat had no criminal record, so we do not believe the motive for the murder was drug or gang-related. We will continue with our investigation and arrest the murderers,” Col Yonyuth said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Body-of-tortured-executed-man-dumped-near-Phuket-school-21407.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-22

What is going on now in Thailand, this seems to be happening way to offen

I agree, but they know the gov't will just slap them on their wrists, have them go back to the crime scene, pantomime how it all happened and then will be set free again.

keep in mind the population of phuket alone is bigger than some canadian provinces.

There's a lot of people in phuket but the place is small so the # of murders feel a lot bigger than it actually is.

Perhaps it's just getting reported more.

Personally I'm surprised the RTP aren't launching more lawsuits against news outlets for damanging Thailand's image.

This will damage Thialands image and tourists and their money will stop from coming tot he land of untruth and Sabi Sabi. Never tell the truth about Thailand. The Army has a staff of a hundred pumping out good news and propaganda about the elite daily into the internet. After months and 60 dead the Government finaly let it out that over 40,000 infected with Denge fever.

Personally I'm surprised the RTP aren't launching more lawsuits against news outlets for damanging Thailand's image.

This will damage Thialands image and tourists and their money will stop from coming tot he land of untruth and Sabi Sabi. Never tell the truth about Thailand. The Army has a staff of a hundred pumping out good news and propaganda about the elite daily into the internet. After months and 60 dead the Government finaly let it out that over 40,000 infected with Denge fever.

I don't think it will damage Thailand's image in the slightest or adversely affect tourism.

Just another nasty crime that could, and does, happen anywhere.

• Like 1

I don't think it will damage Thailand's image in the slightest or adversely affect tourism.

Just another nasty crime that could, and does, happen anywhere.

Look at the USA, Homicide capital of the world and then all the "shootings" as they call them in the US. They still have tourist. The USA violence level makes Thailand look like beginners.

Reference the post of 13:37... Sorry to rain on the parade but according to UN statistics the homicide rate in Thailand is higher than that of the US. By the way, the 'murder capital' of the world is Honduras.

Edited by marell

I will tell you that it might not hurt Thailand Now but it will in the future, i can promise you that.

i have personally informed friends not to go to Phuket, because of the level of crime.

and if they do be very careful. i personally wanted to go and enjoy some of what Phuket has to offer, but i enjoy life to much. so i will pass.

Look at the USA, Homicide capital of the world and then all the "shootings" as they call them in the US. They still have tourist. The USA violence level makes Thailand look like beginners.

First, the US being many many times the size of Thailand and having many many times the population, raw numbers and statistics comparing the two are meaningless. I don't have the data in front of me, but I seriously doubt PER CAPITA homicides in the U.S. greatly outnumber those in Thailand.

And that aside, the difference here is, much of the U.S. is pretty safe as a general rule, though there certainly are pockets of urban ghettoes where crime and shootings are substantial. But in Thailand, you're getting cases like this in the prime tourist areas like Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, etc....

You don't typically find these kinds of things occurring in Aspin, Ft. Lauderdale, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Anaheim, etc etc. Especially the torture and teeth smashed out part. That has a particularly Thailand ring to it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

First, the US being many many times the size of Thailand and having many many times the population, raw numbers and statistics comparing the two are meaningless. I don't have the data in front of me, but I seriously doubt PER CAPITA homicides in the U.S. greatly outnumber those in Thailand.

And that aside, the difference here is, much of the U.S. is pretty safe as a general rule, though there certainly are pockets of urban ghettoes where crime and shootings are substantial. But in Thailand, you're getting cases like this in the prime tourist areas like Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, etc....

You don't typically find these kinds of things occurring in Aspin, Ft. Lauderdale, Beverly Hills, Malibu, Anaheim, etc etc. Especially the torture and teeth smashed out part. That has a particularly Thailand ring to it.

Are you serious? Ever heard of the Hillside Strangler, the Manson Family and the many, many other hideous murders committed in many of the places you mention?! Just google "torture/murder USA" and you'll be reading gruesome stuff for hours.

Trying to make out that this murder is somehow an exclusively Thai crime is ridiculous.

@ rotary

WRONG.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/oct/10/world-murder-rate-unodc

Edited by Shot
  • Like 1

Another USA fan had to come out when violence is mentioned. Factually according to the UNDOC, the homicide rate in 2012 of 4.8 is a tie with USA and Thailand and of course the big difference is that they really do try to find the killer in the USA regardless of the killer or victim's status money unlike Thailand where the confessed killer can proudly walk in, confess, and then be out on bail same day to arrange a better time for a court hearing because of his status, money.

@ rotary

WRONG.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2011/oct/10/world-murder-rate-unodc

But, look at the sources of the stats, most are the UN or the WHO, but Thailand's are the %$#@& Thai Cops, how many murders are called suicide in Thailand ????

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

Here's the data chart from that article...showing the per capita homicide rates of various countries, including Thailand and the U.S. In the chart, the first number column is homicides and the second column number is homicides per 100,000 population.

Thailand's rate IS higher than the U.S. even using those statistics. And I guarantee the U.S. statistics are far more accurate compared to Thailand's clear underreporting by often avoiding classifying deaths as homicides.

post-58284-0-49317200-1372127429_thumb.j

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

UPDATE:
Tortured, executed man connected to Phuket drug business

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- The man found tortured and executed several hundred meters from a Phuket school was involved with drugs despite having a clean police record, Phuket City Police Deputy Superintendent Yongyuth Kongmalai told the Phuket Gazette yesterday.

Because of his clean record, police were originally scrambling for a motive for the slaying of Niwat Si-urai, 37, whose body was found dumped by British International School on June 21 (story here).

“The exact motive for the murder has still not been confirmed, and we can not provide too much information about the case to the public at this time,” said Lt Col Yongyuth said.

“We believe we will be able to arrest those involved in the murder and close the case,” Lt Col Yongyuth added.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Tortured-executed-man-connected-to-Phuket-drug-business-21440.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-06-25