Old Cheese

WinnieTheKhwai

I was at Rimping Nim city this morning looking at cheddar but the only thing I noticed was local sharp cheddar. In Canada I used to buy extra old cheddar 6 and 7 years old. 6 year old was $6.50 ( 210 bahts) for 454 grams. I also like dutch gouda with fine herbs but haven't been able to find it here.

Mainland cheeses are good quality ... like most products of NZ *cough* ... Makro's Gorgonzola is a one of my favourites, especially after we've finished our 'special delivery' 1kg blocks of Mainland Tasty. :)

I find Rimping has better quality Brie and Camembert than Makro,

Always have a stock of Mainland in the fridge. May have to give that one in the OP a try. Sounds best on crackers as it appears to be a sharp cheddar.

This is perfect,crumbly as well.

We have fusion food!

Camembert or Brie ( even Blue Stilton works) with a good Sai Oua.

• Like 1

Three posts have mentioned Mainland cheese. I went back again to Rimping Nim City. Still couldn't find it and I looked in all 3 areas where they keep cheese. Which Rimping can I find it in and are there any other shops that keep it?

I buy my Mainland in BIg C. They've got three grades with the 'Vintage' being the strongest and tastiest, 250 g for 175 Baht, the other two being 165 Baht for the same weight. Haven't yet seen this new 'Epicure' yet though but would imagine it will show up before long.

Mainland cheeses are good quality ... like most products of NZ *cough* ... Makro's Gorgonzola is a one of my favourites, especially after we've finished our 'special delivery' 1kg blocks of Mainland Tasty. smile.png

Hey Rob, where did you find the kilo block of Mainland Tasty? Boy to get some of that.... Ive seen 2kg of Anchor plain cheddar in Macro but thats nowhere near as good as Mainland. Damn I miss the good ole cheese from NZ. But glad we can buy greenlip mussels here...just for a treat every now and then.

And there are some other reasonable cheeses here to....just gotta pay for them.

Three posts have mentioned Mainland cheese. I went back again to Rimping Nim City. Still couldn't find it and I looked in all 3 areas where they keep cheese. Which Rimping can I find it in and are there any other shops that keep it?

They keep it in the refrigerated shelves facing the wine at Rim Ping Nim City.

Mainland cheeses are good quality ... like most products of NZ *cough* ... Makro's Gorgonzola is a one of my favourites, especially after we've finished our 'special delivery' 1kg blocks of Mainland Tasty. smile.png

How / where does one get 1 kg special deliveries, and at what price?

I buy my Mainland in BIg C. They've got three grades with the 'Vintage' being the strongest and tastiest, 250 g for 175 Baht, the other two being 165 Baht for the same weight. Haven't yet seen this new 'Epicure' yet though but would imagine it will show up before long.

12 Month Mainland is selling on special at Woolies in OZ for $5.95 a kilo. Not great but OK - I got 3k. Normal price is $10/k for this age. 36month is about 15$/k. So CM prices are higher but I think still worth it in view of how hard it is to get good cheese in CM at an ok price.

12 Month Mainland is selling on special at Woolies in OZ for $5.95 a kilo. Not great but OK - I got 3k. Normal price is $10/k for this age. 36month is about 15$/k. So CM prices are higher but I think still worth it in view of how hard it is to get good cheese in CM at an ok price.

After you have lived here long enough cheese that tastes like crap back home starts to taste good.

• Like 1

After you have lived here long enough cheese that tastes like crap back home starts to taste good.

Rather like the beer !!

• Like 1

They olso have old Amsterdan cheese!

Cheap! Not too large piece for less then 200 baht.

Extremely tastefull.

My son will be visiting from Holland shortly and will be bringing me a large supply of OLD AMSTERDAM

cant wait and NO you cant have any biggrin.png IT'S MINE ALLLLLLL MINE

• Like 1

Hey Rob, where did you find the kilo block of Mainland Tasty? Boy to get some of that.... Ive seen 2kg of Anchor plain cheddar in Macro but thats nowhere near as good as Mainland. dam_n I miss the good ole cheese from NZ. But glad we can buy greenlip mussels here...just for a treat every now and then.

And there are some other reasonable cheeses here to....just gotta pay for them.

I ask visitors, usually BM's from Aus/Thai-centred forums, to bring over for me from NZ or Aus (usually). Chop it up into smaller blocks and freeze.

• Like 1

I sure appreciate the price of good cheese now that I'm back in Canada. It is about 1/3 the price of Thailand.

And how much would a mango cost you in Canada compared to Thailand?

It's all relative.

Actually, I can buy a mango from Mexico for about $1... or about 30 baht. But that is not the point. Thailand should be able to process good cheese but they don't seem to be able to. I don't really mind though because I will share my time between both countries. That way I will get the best of both countries. There are many things about Thailand that I love, or I would go elsewhere, but I don't. I don't have to be anywhere, so I can pick and choose where I wish to stay. I know the good and bad of most countries, and no place is perfect.