Dentistry student held for shooting at tourists

Lite Beer

Update on Nic's condition. As of last Monday minimal feeling has returned in his lower body and doctors are reported as being 'optimistic' he will walk again. Even the suggestion of a chance of not walking again makes this a tragedy sufferd by an innocent person. If you keep up on Thai news from around the country, particularly the south, the victimizing of foreigners is becoming less uncommon. A collection is being raised to help out Nic for his various needs. It's not been made clear what, other than medical expenses, is being taken care of by the shooter's family.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

In developed countries, perpertrators of drive by shootings, any shootings receive a lengthy prison sentence. If the Thai authorities want to reduce the gun crimes committed in Thailand, would they not better impose heavier sentences. A minimum 10 year sentence might've made DR. Fang think twice before he reached for his gun.

Honestly, I don't think long prison terms would make much difference in a case like this. He wasn't weighing up the pros and cons of doing this vs getting caught and going to prison!

Mandatory minimum sentences work against justice in most cases.

What this guy did does deserve punishment of course, but I seriously doubt if his intent was murder, certainly not of the bystanders who got hurt. Of course he must be held responsible, but even a potential death sentence (which I'm opposed to under any circumstances) would not have prevented this.

Have to disagree. I've seen where, for instance, three strike laws directly resulted in crime reduction. And certainly when the death penalty is imposed, for example in homicide cases (as opposed to the execution being endlessly delayed), there is a reduction in homicides. Let's face it; once put to death, perpetrators are no longer capable of committing murders.

where did you here that the death penalty reduced the number of homicides. would like to read these studies as i have always understood that this was not the case.

Edited by Bluespunk

In developed countries, perpertrators of drive by shootings, any shootings receive a lengthy prison sentence. If the Thai authorities want to reduce the gun crimes committed in Thailand, would they not better impose heavier sentences. A minimum 10 year sentence might've made DR. Fang think twice before he reached for his gun.

Honestly, I don't think long prison terms would make much difference in a case like this. He wasn't weighing up the pros and cons of doing this vs getting caught and going to prison!

What this guy did does deserve punishment of course, but I seriously doubt if his intent was murder, certainly not of the bystanders who got hurt. Of course he must be held responsible, but even a potential death sentence (which I'm opposed to under any circumstances) would not have prevented this.

Have to disagree. I've seen where, for instance, three strike laws directly resulted in crime reduction. And certainly when the death penalty is imposed, for example in homicide cases (as opposed to the execution being endlessly delayed), there is a reduction in homicides. Let's face it; once put to death, perpetrators are no longer capable of committing murders.

where did you here that the death penalty reduced the number of homicides. would like to read these studies as i have always understood that this was not the case.

The stats that speak to no reduction in crime where the death penalty exists is based upon jurisdictions where the death penalty is not absolute. As I said, clearly if a murderer, for instance, is put to death, there is zero chance of his committing further murders. Murderers who are set free often re-commit. Hence the reduction in the murder rate.

Edited by venturalaw

The stats that speak to no reduction in crime where the death penalty exists is based upon jurisdictions where the death penalty is not absolute. As I said, clearly if a murderer, for instance, is put to death, there is zero chance of his committing further murders. Murderers who are set free often re-commit. Hence the reduction in the murder rate.

I can see your argument, but again I am not sure that many released murderers reoffend, some may do I'm sure, but I'm not sure often is the right word. As far as I am concerned the death penalty is wrong, some people I agree are not safe to be allowed back into society because they are a danger to all around them, however that does not justify their execution. What they did was wrong, but so is the state taking the decision to end their life. They must be punished and that's what gaol is for. Personal view I know, but the death penalty does not reduce overall rates of murder and is not a deterrent.

• Like 1

“My lawyer says it could take awhile if [the shooter and his family] choose to fight it,” Nic says. “But I want to take it all the way. I want justice.”

So there you have it. This clown shoots people and chooses to fight the charges. Crazy thing is, he'll get away with it.

Farang loses again.

#Thainess

I don't expect Don Prawinmet to spend any time in prison. He will be protected both by the wealth and connections of his family and under the patronage of Chiang Mai University and its professors.

The case will be dragged out for years and years, the charges slowly watered down, bail granted at every hearing, the case kicked up through higher and higher courts until many years from now the case is dismissed.

Prison is only for little people in this country.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. For an update and video documentary of the Nic Brown story please visit his Facebook page Justice for Nic Brown. The shooter is still a free man, Nic is paralyzed. Donation info is on the page. Thank you

The documentary helps to get the story straight on what really happened. Thank you