Darryl Read, local celebrity and rock musician dies in Pattaya

Rimmer

Darryl Read, local celebrity and rock musician dies in Pattaya

Darryl Michael Roy Read (born 19 September 1951) is a British poet, singer, guitarist, drummer, actor and writer, passed-away in Pattaya, last night.

The circumstances of his demise are not yet known, but it is generally presumed that, since he drove a motorcycle and the fact that his body was taken to the Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital in Pattaya, might be an indication that he may have been involved in a late night traffic accident.

His web site is HERE

RIP Darryl

tvn.png
-- 2013-06-23

Sad News ! Got to know Daryl here in Pattaya and he was a 'driven' person with a lot of Rock & Roll under his belt. A very gentle and articulate man - sad to hear this news.

"Keep On Rocking" Daryl - for heaven's sake. 402.gif402.gif402.gif

JGK

WOW very sad and will be missed. RIP. I was just talking with him in Leo's not long ago. Nice guy and great musician. Hope he wasn't coming from Leo's party last night?

Pattaya Musician Darryl Read killed in road accident

darryl-1.jpg
PATTAYA:--Well-known local musician Darryl Read was killed in a road crash in the early hours of Sunday in South Pattaya.

Darryl Michael Roy Read was born on 19th September 1951 and was one of the pioneers of British Punk Rock and his band Crushed Butler which formed in 1969 was recognized as one of the first Punk Bands in the UK.

Mr. Read was an accomplished actor starring in a 1964 film “Daylight Robbery” which won a Silver Lion Medal at the Venice Film Festival. He went on to write a screenplay with Bernard White for the feature film Remember a Day, and also starred as Roger Bannerman, a character based on Pink Floyd’s Syd Barrett.

In Pattaya he presented a rock show on Pattaya 105 FM until recently and would often be seen in venues around Pattaya playing live. Mr. Read was a regular visitor to Germany where he was in the process of filming a movie about his life and work from 1963 to the present day.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/92286/pattaya-musician-darryl-read-killed-road-accident/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-06-23

Darryl Read Killed in Pattaya
PATTAYA:--Pattaya’s music community was stunned on Sunday, at the news that Darryl Read, was killed in the early hours of Sunday morning.

According to friends, he was riding his motorbike when another vehicle struck him as it came out of a side Soi. Emergency services attended the scene quickly but were unable to resuscitate him. Staff at Bangkok pattaya hospital worked to revive him but he was declared dead at around 3 AM.

Tributes from local musicians and venue operators have been coming in from around the city to the Eccentric but loveable artist who had been in the Entertainment industry since his youth, when he acted in several TV shows and movies, along with commercials and in Enid Blyton’s famous five series on UK Television. Later he discovered his love of music, and was part of the advent of the punk music era.

A huge fan of T Rex, and the Doors, Darryl worked with such musicians as Bill Legend, Mickey Finn and Ray Manzarek and had recently spent more time writing books as he shared his life between Pattaya and his home in Germany.

The 61 year old was happy to share his life story with everyone he met and made no secret of the fact that his life in the early 70s had been in a drug haze, but for at least the past 7 years he was a reknown tee totaller and didn’t even smoke cigarettes as he enjoyed a clean life doing what he enjoyed doing most.

Full story:http://www.pattaya103.com/darryl-read-killed-in-pattaya/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2013-06-23

• Like 1

I saw him regularly, riding his motorbike around town, saw him on Friday as it happens pottering down Soi Buakhow. Two things i always noticed, he always had a helmet on and dressed sensibly for riding a motorbike, ie, thick jacket, long trousers, proper shoes etc. And he always drove slowly and carefully, It just goes to show that no matter how careful you may be on a motorbike in this town it can all go wrong in the blink of an eye. Over the years i have often been tempted to get a small twist and go, i can see all the advantages, the convenience of having one etc. But apart from having a scooter for a couple of years back in the 60s, i have no experience of riding one, and a little voice in the back of my mind keeps telling me that this is probably the wrong place to learn to ride one. I will stick with the baht buses and shank's pony. RIP to the deceased, so very very sad.

• Like 1

V sad i was having a coffee with him last week and 2 days ago he phone me, we always talk about music as i'm a sound engineer and he's a musician, i know it maybe to soon if any one know about the funeral dates i like to pay my respects (i have try to phone him number but he's phone if off) i'm in shock he was a v nice guy, RIP DARRYL

V sad i was having a coffee with him last week and 2 days ago he phone me, we always talk about music as i'm a sound engineer and he's a musician, i know it maybe to soon if any one know about the funeral dates i like to pay my respects (i have try to phone him number but he's phone if off) i'm in shock he was a v nice guy, RIP DARRYL

from what he told me , he had no driect family and as the UK embassy was informed but he lived in Germany it may take longer to decide "who" can take care of the funeral arrangements. I talked to his manager today and he has a few moves in place and promises to update me, and I, will, then in turn.. you.

I have seen one farang kept "in limbo" for 2 months while waiting for paperwork, and he had a family and a will here in thailand. so this could be a long wait

kind regards

t