Windows 7 or Windows 8?

davejonesbkk

OK so I have a... 'local' version of Windows 7 running on my desktop. I want to get a real Windows OS for my PC and was wondering should I get 7 or 8? Ive heard a lot of bad things about 8 but if Im going to be shelling out 5k or so for an OS in 2013 shouldnt I be getting one that I can use for years to come? If I got 7 would there be a time when I would eventually be forced to upgrade to 8?

If I do want to get 8 is there anything I need to be aware of? I use my PC for the following:

Work, mainly in open office and MS office, Google Chrome etc

Gaming - 90% of the time with Steam

I went from Vista to Win 8 pro last year. While most of my apps seem to work I have had serious issues with Win 8 and my external USB drives both USB 2 & 3. If you're have this type of setup and backup from usb data drives to usb backup drive/s beware if you are using commercial backup apps such as Shadowprotect, EaseUs or Acronis for example. You are unlikely to be able to get a verifiable backup. I haven't tested a bare metal restore but I do seem to be able to seem to be able to restore single files ok.

I know of one guy who gave up and went back to Win 7 as it seems to be a problem with some bios,motherboard and Windows 8 and noone has had any fixes. Maybe the Win 8.1 upgrade will deal with it, who knows?

Beware WIN 8.

I have a win 7 computer and spent the money to upgrade to Win8. Big mistake, I tried win8 for about a month and went back to win 7, the learning curve was just too steep for me, I don't see how businesses will ever migrate Win 8.

Lefty

• Like 1

If you buy Win8 and don't like you are "legally" allowed to use the licence for Win7 so it's not wasted.

All MS licences are backward compatible.

Seems that you made that up on the hoof. You can downgrade if you have Windows 8 Professional.

I have a win 7 computer and spent the money to upgrade to Win8. Big mistake, I tried win8 for about a month and went back to win 7, the learning curve was just too steep for me, I don't see how businesses will ever migrate Win 8.

Lefty

Exactly the feedback of my colleague. Seems the first Windows 8 users are used to test their mistakes.Better stuck with 7.-wai2.gif

I just Got myself a new laptop with win8, First i ad to do was to figure out how to fet the "start button" back and needed to buy software to do so :-)

You wasted your money. There are free options, such as Classic Shell.

• Like 1

I just Got myself a new laptop with win8, First i ad to do was to figure out how to fet the "start button" back and needed to buy software to do so :-)

You wasted your money. There are free options, such as Classic Shell.

In the past i Used to travel to get some free (copied) software and spent a lot of hours adjusting tape recorders so the data could be read.

Now 30 years later i cant be borgeres to spend much time testing different software to save 4.99 USD (which the Company pay) :-)

A Start button, well... Its not Like its big data or Nosql tech :-)

That Said, Classic Shell looks Nice though :)

If you buy Win8 and don't like you are "legally" allowed to use the licence for Win7 so it's not wasted.

All MS licences are backward compatible.

Backward is the word !. Just like any one who would buy any thing made by apple. At least with M/Soft you dont have to buy a <deleted>> ing app to make your printer work.

I think Ipad is another word for a ( man hole cover ) which ladies put down their pants !.

Lefty

I am surprised that you had such a problem when entering WIN 8.

Several months ago I removed WIN 7 and entered WIN 8 no problems at all, on the contrary WIN 8 has a better operational system, as a result the IE performance is better and faster.

• Like 1

I reckon Windows 8 will get better acceptance now that a lot of laptops are coming out with touch screens.

I was thinking about bringing out an operating system to take on Microsoft and Apple. I think I will call it COCK , and it will have a touch screen !.

I had the same issue going from a local copy of Windows 7 to a legit download of Windows 8.

Truthfully, I don't understand all the complaints people have with Windows 8. Perhaps if you have an old PC you may have problems, but it works ok on my 7 year old Dell laptop. There is about a 30 minute startup curve going to Windows 8 but you spend some time on anything new.

If you continue to have problems I would just recommend buying a new legit PC. It comes down to how much you value your time. Maybe the upcoming update will take care of your problems.

I upgraded from 7 to 8, really happy with it, just had to install a free start menu replacement as I dont like metro but it works great, latest games work fine too and I find it faster than 7 :)

Lefty

I am surprised that you had such a problem when entering WIN 8.

Several months ago I removed WIN 7 and entered WIN 8 no problems at all, on the contrary WIN 8 has a better operational system, as a result the IE performance is better and faster.

thats great, but ie performance could not interest me less. Im told it still has a 30 some odd percent market share, but i dont know anyone that uses it unless they have to.

when i worked at microsoft, 3/4 of the office used chrome

Edited by joeaverage

I went from Vista to Win 8

Never expected to ever read those words!!

Microsoft has a history of some bad releases prior to each good one.... often on off on off...

95 and 98 were both great at their time.

ME... useless.

XP revolutionary.

Vista.... some good concepts but not tested and ready.

7... best they have made yet.

8.... a desktop isnt a tablet and they dont yet know how to make a single OS that covers both as they are trying.

The simple fact that everyone in this thread who uses win 8 has had to install the most fundermental part of the OS manually (start bar) since it isnt included as standard..... windows 8 is like a non alcoholic beer. Whats the point!

I havent used windows on my home computers for years. Ubuntu linux have also made the 1 design fits all devices decision and messed it up losing users. Though ubuntu are improving it... still issues but getting better.

Windows 9 may be worth upgrading from 7 but 8 is not.

Have to agree with innerspace above. It seems that in Microsoft's desperate and repeated attempts to get something that would gain acceptance and widespread use in the smartphone and tablet markets, their approach was to try to create a common OS with PCs. Unfortunately, in the process they seem to have "dumbed down" the control that PC users once had over their machines. They also seem to have disregarded the fact that Windows 8 just seems to not be intuitive to a lot of users of previous versions of Windows, and requires a far steeper learning curve for them.

If the home users are struggling with it after making the decision to go to Win 8 of their own free will, imagine what it will be like for businesses that try to force Win 8 on their employees. And from what I've heard about Win 8 sales figures, it sounds like businesses have already figured that out. Win 8.1 is a start in the right direction, but it is doubtful it will go far enough.

My prediction is that Win 8.x will be rather short-lived, just like Win Me and Vista. And the next version of Windows (presumably Win 9) will probably have an option to turn on a "classic" user interface that operates similar to those user interfaces present up through Windows 7. Businesses will then upgrade directly from XP and Windows 7 to Windows 9, skipping Windows 8 entirely.

• Like 1

A few months back I bought a new ACER notebook at IT City here in Chiang Mai.

Came with Windows 7 and the staff insisted it was genuine.

Since learned of course that it's a 'local' version of 7.

I'm now having lots of problems with:

- 'download manager' (everything I download goes automatically into download manager but I can't open any of the said files)

- Cannot attach any files from the internal drive or thumb drive to e-mails

One person suggested this is all because I have a local version of Windows 7.

Another person suggested it's all happening because I installed AdAware (which I now cannot uninstall), which has some clash with 'download manager'.

I'm not a techie at all, can someone advise me, please, if installing a real authentic Windows 7 will fix any of these problems?

I guess first step would be back up of my files - can I do this onto a CD ROM?

Would it be easier to uninstall AdAware after the local 7 is removed but before the authentic 7 is installed?

For a non techie is all of this easily doable?

Any recommendations of where to buy a real Windows 7 pack in Chiang Mai, and an estimate / approx. price?

Any recommendation of a good shop to have the old 7 removed / new 7 installed?

Any advise much appreciated. Thanks.

Unless your computer has a touch screen, Windows 7 wins by a mile.

Windows 8 is the new Vista.

Windows 8 is nothing like Vista. It is stable. The only issue is the learning curve.

Windows 7, windows 8 is really developed for slates and tablets, don't get suckered in.

Agreed. Although with touch screen laptops, it will get traction.

I read somewhere that they Will bring back the start bar in the win8 8.1 release.

Yep. Heard that too. I actually thought 8.1 was out already.