over loaded pickup trucks

crocken

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had 3 pickups in the USA, none here however.

A small Chevy Luv which the day I got it I loaded it with partly composted Pig Poop, very wet, so heavy my front wheels would come off the ground at a bump or small hill. Hell of a ride home, but in the country no traffic.

Second was a 1/2 ton ford which I am sure I loaded with up to 3 to 5 or more tons of rock and concrete bags, never a problem.

Third was old chevy 3/4 ton which was impossible to overload, it would carry anything.

I was always amazed at the engineering put into these trucks I am sure they design them for the maximum load possible, steel or lead loads.

The tires are also interesting. They have load limits but even when I exceeded the load by 4 or 5 times the rating never had a problem, just added more air. Never a blow out.

I was not as artistic as the Thais to get all the overhang and height they can get with the loads, never had a chance to carry an Elephant.

Thanks for all the pictures. I'll have to pass them on to some Canadian friends to show what I see on Thai highways when riding my bike. They are all good reasons why I ride defensively in Thailand and never go as fast as I might. I don't trust anything when going around blind corners. I always leave myself an escape route.

A lot of the strange things on the road are a result of the hand to mouth mindset of a large portion of the population. Among my work crews' trucks and motorcycles, I think 1/4 of a tank is the equivalent of a full tank. If the fuel warning light comes on it means they need to avoid hills and most certainly need to take a shortcut on the wrong side of the road if possible. And that U-turn a few hundred meters down the road (as opposed to cutting across 4-8 lanes of traffic)? ... that's a luxury for the "rich" people.

smile.png

When the fuel gauge shows E this means e for enough

I had a pick up truck pull up at traffic lights next to me in Hua Hin. It rocked a couple of times then did a wheel stand.

Very impressive to see it sit on rear bumper like a dog begging.

2 police came out of there box and climbed on the front to lower it, then let the driver resume his trip, Basicaly no steering control at all. No wonder so many die on the roads here, the police just dont like to work facepalm.gif