Electric scooter

magnum

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I can't give a reasoned answer to your enquiry as I don't have an electric bike..

However, I would be interested to know the reasons for for your choice.

I'm making an assumption ( which may be totally wrong) that you're looking to save money and do something good for the environment. Kudos to you.

I run a Honda Wave which gives me a fuel efficiency of 40kl/l using gasohol 95. It costs 100 Baht a year, plus compulsary insurance of around 650 Baht. I can fuel it anywhere and it doesn't cost much to service and maintain. In addition, if the battery degrades, the cost of a replacement is minimal.

It's only an example. Why choose a different mode of propulsion.

Jerry.

If you are looking for a quality product, you should check out this company. http://la-eride.com/2013/. I bought a 28" bike from them that is made here in Thailand but sold only in Europe, it is a wonderfully engineered bike and I would highly recomend their products. the model I bought ( 700C e-bike FALTER size 52 CM ) is not in the attached brocure, you would have to acquire about it but it might be too large for your wife. By the way I am a retired engineer. My bike does not require a drivers license,registration,insurance or plates.

post-146890-0-40729000-1372002250_thumb.

Edited by BobTH

Insurance I was told yes..

I was looking at the big electric bike

post-42643-0-53086800-1372030457_thumb.j

but these look a good idea

post-42643-0-24619600-1372030514_thumb.j

When I looked there showroom and workshop was not far from the South Bus Station [bKK] and no problem in a test ride.

Edit: efficiency 6 baht for 50 - 60 km......... friend has a big bike but cost 69,900 baht 18 months ago, very fast much faster then a petrol and bigger than a PCX

Edited by ignis

attachicon.gif223061_265223990159811_7073625_n.jpg

attachicon.gif545221_423076514374557_1034631218_n.jpg

When I looked there showroom and workshop was not far from the South Bus Station [bKK] and no problem in a test ride.

Edit: efficiency 6 baht for 50 - 60 km......... friend has a big bike but cost 69,900 baht 18 months ago, very fast much faster then a petrol and bigger than a PCX

The first picture looks a bit more like a scooter than the earlier battery operated bicyle. Neither look like a bike, but maybe I'm splitting hairs.

You quote an efficiency of 5 baht for 50 - 60 kms. What conditions of load have been used to arrive at this value and what measurement criterion was used. Also what's the range for a full charge and how long does it take to fully recharge?

Granted, that these things are handy for going to 7/11 instead of walking, but are they really useful as bikes?

You've quoted a price for one machine at 69,000 Baht. That's similar in price to a PCX.

A PCX has a far greater range.and a 2 minute fuel stop will fully replenish it's capability. A PCX will also maintain a higher residual value and be an attractive purchase to a far wider customer base, should you wish to or need to sell it.

If there's ever a bike with performance similar to a Tesla, then I mighjt be interested.

Each to their own however.

Jerry

The first picture looks a bit more like a scooter than the earlier battery operated bicyle. Neither look like a bike, but maybe I'm splitting hairs.

NO idea where this 'earlier battery operated bicycle' came from ??

The OP stated he was look for a Electric Scooter for his wife.......... so I posted pic's of the Electric Scooters I looked at...

Most scooters I see driving/riding around are 19 - 35,000 baht range....... yes ideal for going to shops or market, for me save getting the car out to go 2 or 3 km + a lot cheaper, easier to park, .but not bought still use the car or Pickup..

A PCX will also maintain a higher residual value... R U sure ? the one I have seen For Sale less then 3 years old appear to sell for 36 - 44,000... lost almost 50% in 10,000 kim. I almost bought one when they 1st came out 72,000 baht, then on 2nd thoughts expensive for a 2km shopping run-a-bout

Electric motor = 1 x moving part, Petrol = many moving parts that can go wrong + Insurance higher + yearly Tax + service + helmet + Motor Bike License + someone is far more likely to steal it than an electric scooter.

Electric everyday type Scooter http://www.lionbike.com/store/product/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%84%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%82%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A2%E0%B8%94%E0%B8%B5-hot-th.html

Getting to the age where a 3 wheeler would be better, so maybe a year or 2 time the bottom picture will be ideal

Edit: Price for Electric Scooters appears to be the motor size, most I see are 350 - 500 w.... Friends big bike is 3,000 w. and as I have ridden it and a PCX the electric one is far faster.

Edited by ignis

attachicon.gif223061_265223990159811_7073625_n.jpg

attachicon.gif545221_423076514374557_1034631218_n.jpg

Cool -- can you tell me where exactly that showroom is and the name (and phone number if you have it) ? Any comments on the range of the various models, and recharge times if plugged into a normal mains.

What did you end up buying? ;)

The place I visited was near the New South Bus Station.... kozawa ebikes I looked at these because of there big size + bigger motor size 1,000 + 1,500 + 2,000 and 3,000 watt

http://www.weloveshopping.com/shop/shop.php?shopid=174316 thought the 'Sporty 1,500w' was nice, at the time was 42,000 baht. the Manager was a nice Lady and spoke perfect English.

There are lots of places, lots of names, prices and sizes, most of them the max size of motor is 300 - 800 watt, even Toyota have started the ebikes again!!..

Really is what do you need and what price ? they range from under 19,000 baht to 100,000 baht...

Edit: the Village Security Guard has something called a SunRay

Edited by ignis
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a (very) Chinese e-scooter and an LA e-bike and both vendors told me I don't need registration or insurance.

I've never been stopped by the po-po for not having plates on them.

But I have no illusions that, if I get into an accident, scratch someone's car, or injure someone, I'll be on the hook for compensation. But that's not a whole lot different than riding a regular bicycle. And in my mid-50's in BKK heat, I let the electric motors do the work for me.

I like them both. Bought the scooter first but got tired of carrying the 40lb SLA battery up 4 flights to charge it. The LA bicycle has a Li-Ion battery weighing in at less than 10lb so it gets used more. If you go for the LA bicycle, get the 5 speed. You'll be glad you did.

Reactions of the locals has been very keen interest and one day I'm sure one of the guys that I often allow to try them out will ride off never to be seen... I'm sure there are others snickering at the stupid looking foreigner, but so what?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I'm going to revive this thread.

I lost my bicycle recently with the usual bicycle lock locked to the bicycle stand under the overhead bridge right in front of TMB Bank.

I'm now looking for an electric bicycle, but not sure if the safety system is any better than any ordinary bicycle. Can the handle be locked like a scooter ?

Sorry, I can't give a reasoned answer to your enquiry as I don't have an electric bike..

However, I would be interested to know the reasons for for your choice.

I'm making an assumption ( which may be totally wrong) that you're looking to save money and do something good for the environment. Kudos to you.

I run a Honda Wave which gives me a fuel efficiency of 40kl/l using gasohol 95. It costs 100 Baht a year, plus compulsary insurance of around 650 Baht. I can fuel it anywhere and it doesn't cost much to service and maintain. In addition, if the battery degrades, the cost of a replacement is minimal.

It's only an example. Why choose a different mode of propulsion.

Jerry.

You must be thrashing your bike, I get over 70km/litre from my cheapo 110cc Wave and run it on the recommended 91 octane gasahol, so that is an economy or just 50 Satang per km.

The bike cost 34,000 baht brand new and has been faultless over the 3.5 years we have had it. A 100 baht oil change every year, a tyre change every 3 years and I don't need a battery change as it has an easy kick start.

I don't think any electric scooter can beat that on overall running costs alone, over say 5-10 years. Plus I have total security of fuel supply, so if I run out I know I can fill it up at any one of a 1/2 a million places and if necessary ride at 100km/hour, carry 3 people and it has big wheels to handle the numerous potholes.

On a battery bike I would be worrying about running out of juice in this heat, unable to speak Thai, so my concentration is compromised, not good when people cannot hear me coming on a silent bike. And what happens when my Chinese POC breaks down, or if I have a flat, who can fix it? It is a false economy.

Buy a Wave unless you live more than 5 km from your destination, then still buy a Wave.

You must be thrashing your bike, I get over 70km/litre from my cheapo 110cc Wave and run it on the recommended 91 octane gasahol, so that is an economy or just 50 Satang per km.

The bike cost 34,000 baht brand new and has been faultless over the 3.5 years we have had it. A 100 baht oil change every year, a tyre change every 3 years and I don't need a battery change as it has an easy kick start.

Are you sure about that? Honda claims 52.5km/l for the brand-new Wave 110, which is their most fuel-efficient scooter in the 100cc range- the older ones were under 50km/l.

http://paultan.org/2013/05/28/new-honda-wave-110-kapcai-launched-by-boon-siew/

Are you sure about that? Honda claims 52.5km/l for the brand-new Wave 110, which is their most fuel-efficient scooter in the 100cc range- the older ones were under 50km/l.

http://paultan.org/2013/05/28/new-honda-wave-110-kapcai-launched-by-boon-siew/

About a year after we bought it we did a mixture of town trips and trips to my wife's village and over 4 fill ups full to full, I did a calculation of 203mpg which is 71.5km/litre, although I haven't tested it since, now it has 15k on the clock. I weigh 85kg ride 2up 30% of the time and rarely exceed 60kph, with moderate acceleration.

My old 200cc Phantom was doing 120mpg which is 42.3km/litre, though in my early driving years, my Mini's brakes were not good and sometimes none existent, so I learned to not use them.

I had a Merc 190D and only changed brake pads once in a 170,000 miles and guess that shows something and got 50mpg out of my Saab 9-5 estate on a trip and never changed pads in 70,000 miles, so it is braking that uses fuel and anticipation that saves it.

I am not trying to be a smartarse merely showing that driving, or riding style matters a lot.

If I drove my big heavy Saab estate the way you have to drive a POC Prius to get the advertised mpg, I would easily exceed the Prius's figures. It is the same with bikes, if you ride a petrol bike like a leccy one the cost comparison equation changes a lot.

Which shows what a load of crap this electric vehicle business is, especially when it is easy to get 200mpg from a car.

Of course driving style matters somewhat (especially if you're hard on the engine), but unless you spend a lot of time coasting with the engine switched off, you're not going to beat the manufacturer's (always optimistic) claim by over 33% no matter how you ride.

I used to measure the gas usage my Wave 125cc that I used for low speed (under 60kph) commuting and saw about 45km/l (which was in line with Honda's claim)- you might see 10-15% more on a 110 with very conservative riding, but that's about it.

• Like 1

so it is braking that uses fuel and anticipation that saves it.

OT I've thought this for a long time. Traffic here is always braking. Braking to merge, braking to leave express-way the list is endless. If someone has evidently told locals here that accelerating costs money which is why they don't seem to then someone should tell them that it is actually braking that costs money as you bleed off all that speed you spent money to achieve. End of rant!biggrin.png

• Like 1

once i was getting 120 km per liter with an Indian made Honda Splendor 110cc when i was in India of course always below 40 and turn the bike off during inclines.

It is i am sure possible to get more even more that 70 km per liter from Honda Wave 110 if you want.

I'm going to revive this thread.

I lost my bicycle recently with the usual bicycle lock locked to the bicycle stand under the overhead bridge right in front of TMB Bank.

I'm now looking for an electric bicycle, but not sure if the safety system is any better than any ordinary bicycle. Can the handle be locked like a scooter ?

Guess this depends on the model you want to buy. Some electric bikes look like scooters, so i guess they have a steering lock. Some look like bicycles and will not have it. But i suggest better to buy a strong padlock and lock the bike to something like a fence, a lamppost or whatever.

once i was getting 120 km per liter with an Indian made Honda Splendor 110cc when i was in India of course always below 40 and turn the bike off during inclines.

It is i am sure possible to get more even more that 70 km per liter from Honda Wave 110 if you want.

Really? Then you've crushed the record set by this thing, which only managed 85km/l (he had 15cc more)- you must have ridden down a lot of inclines:

post-176811-0-67415500-1384147534_thumb.

120km/l is nearly 340mpg (imperial gallons) or 282mpg (US gallons)- manufacturers attempting to set records on closed courses can't approach that.

Edited by RubberSideDown

This thread is about electric scooters. Would be nice if you could stop this offtopic discussion about gas consumption. Thanks

Gas consumption is not irrelevant to electric scooters or bikes- the price of gas is the reason they're becoming more attractive.

Here's an 'electric Superbike' the puts out 160hp and 120lb/ft and has a range of 140 miles and costs about $1.80 per charge (about 1/10th of a gas engine):

Really? Then you've crushed the record set by this thing, which only managed 85km/l (he had 15cc more)- you must have ridden down a lot of inclines:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

120km/l is nearly 340mpg (imperial gallons) or 282mpg (US gallons)- manufacturers attempting to set records on closed courses can't approach that.

really?

that guy needs to work harder i guess as people claim - just google it - 70 to to 90+ km per liter from hero honda splendor and splendor plus and those bikes are still holding the same tech of 1990s apart from some minor changes. And i am sure i did more than a 100 km per liter when i was so broke there.

So, Indians can do better with their old tech than that guy?smile.png

check the video. it is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4BEHwUSLug

also check, Bajaj Platina offers 109 km per liter economy claimed.

Edited by ll2

Wow- these Indian designers need to go to Japan and teach the Honda guys a thing or two... If those claims are true they're impressive- I know nothing about that engine, though- I do know about the Honda 100-125cc engine, and 50-55km/l is about as good as you can hope for in any kind of normal driving situation (or even an abnormal one).

Wouldn't it behoove Honda to make a mileage claim 30+% higher if the engine is capable of providing that kind of number? Of the 4 Waves I've had in the last 12 years, why hasn't a single one done better than ~47km/l? I don't beat on them, I've specifically tried to ride so the mileage would be extended (just for an experiment), and it never made much difference.

If you guys are actually getting those 70km/l numbers from a Honda 110cc engine, OK, then I'm wrong, but I doubt it based on my own experience.

Edited by RubberSideDown

Wow- these Indian designers need to go to Japan and teach the Honda guys a thing or two... If those claims are true they're impressive- I know nothing about that engine, though- I do know about the Honda 100-125cc engine, and 50-55km/l is about as good as you can hope for in any kind of normal driving situation (or even an abnormal one).

Wouldn't it behoove Honda to make a mileage claim 30+% higher if the engine is capable of providing that kind of number? Of the 4 Waves I've had in the last 12 years, why hasn't a single one done better than ~47km/l? I don't beat on them, I've specifically tried to ride so the mileage would be extended (just for an experiment), and it never made much difference.

If you guys are actually getting those 70km/l numbers from a Honda 110cc engine, OK, then I'm wrong, but I doubt it based on my own experience.

these numbers actually are unreachable for any normal use. You need the patience of a stone or need time to reach to point b from a.

to reach these number:

1- Driving not more than 40 kph and mostly cruising around 30 - 35 kph.

2- Stopping the engine in any small incline. I remember coasting engine stopped in neutral like 20 kph for kilometers.

3- Only engine braking.

4- Lights needs to be turned off at all times.

5- Zero sudden throttle.

You cannot imagine how Indians care about their rupees as the earn really small amounts and they really know how to save money and squeeze economy. Also, i rode many of these commuter bikes there and they are pretty sturdy, simple and designed for economy in mind.

Edited by ll2

^

I don't consider that 'riding', but OK.wink.png

hahahss, exactly. more like skating!

but man, i was really so broke a couple of times in India not even have enough money to buy a liter of petrol and these bikes were life saver. I remember pushing the bike without any petrol for kms with my foot!

^

I don't consider that 'riding', but OK.wink.png

hahahss, exactly. more like skating!

but man, i was really so broke a couple of times in India not even have enough money to buy a liter of petrol and these bikes were life saver. I remember pushing the bike without any petrol for kms with my foot!

I bet you added the km you pushed it to your km/l total...;)

• Like 1

^

well sorry but i feel like enough is said.

besides, we have ideas, we push here, what is wrong with that?

and it is not derailing, we mean, an economy minded combustion engine can give you more economy and practicality on the long run than an electric scooter also the batteries on these Chinese electric scooters do not last long and you need to replace them after a time which costs not that cheap. we are trying to help OP to decide.

just trying to provide a wider perspective here but of course i am not expecting you to understand as even if you understand, you will say something opposite anyway. clean your brain from your prejudices wantan!

thanks.

• Like 1