Love at First Bite - My observations, thoughts and frustrations

junglechef

Thanks for the heads up as i've been thinking about trying it. However; it seems to be no love at first bite, or last bite for that matter. Think i'll stick to The Dukes, The Hideaway, Implaplao, and all the other places i know are a lot better.

Edited by trainman34014
  • Like 1

We go there very seldom and when we do it is mostly for my self to have a piece of the grasshopper pie and the wife loves their coffee rolls. Have had their hamburger. Nothing special about it.

But when they do the grasshopper pie correctly it is to write home about.

Have had it where you almost needed a cleaver to cut through the graham cracker crust.

But the wife has enjoyed every coffee roll.

• Like 1

We go there very seldom and when we do it is mostly for my self to have a piece of the grasshopper pie and the wife loves their coffee rolls. Have had their hamburger. Nothing special about it.

Have had it where you almost needed a cleaver to cut through the graham cracker crust.

I understand they use real grasshoppers here. biggrin.png

• Like 2

I understand they use real grasshoppers here. biggrin.png

Do they kill them first or just let them jump around in the pastry until the heat gets them sad.png

Jungle chef must be retired to take the time to write that story, i am a chef too.I know where your coming from mate and can relate to all you have written.Maybe you should open your own place and then see what the Thai Visa crew have to say about it.

• Like 1

WOW! I think Dave's "Why don't we all just get along" post is really working. Thanks for all the well mannered responses. alexander69, yes a retired Chef who knows the biz well enough to not have the urge to do it again here, mainly because I think it would not be enjoyable, which is why I always did it, dealing with some of the staffing, supply and other necessary elements (never the less the price points). Also if your going to be a Chef driven place it's a younger man's game but I loved every second (and 16 hr. day) of it. Perhaps again when my three son's, the oldest 9 now, who are quite capable around a blade and heat source, actually want to have their own restaurant as they say they do now, I'll be the old fat falang greeting people and buying them a glass of vino.

I've been there a few time over the past couple of years and agree that most of the desserts are good. They do loose a few points with me though for serving Starbucks coffee when there is so much good, locally grown coffee available in Chiang Mai. Starbucks was not that good back in the states and hasn't gotten any better since being exported.

David

• Like 2

Yes some of the street food is very good. And Im sure people will raise the hygiene factor but I can honestly say Ive never had a bad belly from any of it. The street food out in Mae Rim is good too, although there are some subtle differences from one vendor to the next. I have yet to find a truely terrible street vendor...maybe Im just lucky. And I enjoy the real Thai taste instead of the watered down rubbish we had to accept back in NZ. The local people amaze me with what they do and so quickly.

Just for a change Im off to try Sausage King tomorrow. With all the feedbackIve read from TV its bound to be good

Yes some of the street food is very good. And Im sure people will raise the hygiene factor but I can honestly say Ive never had a bad belly from any of it. The street food out in Mae Rim is good too, although there are some subtle differences from one vendor to the next. I have yet to find a truely terrible street vendor...maybe Im just lucky. And I enjoy the real Thai taste instead of the watered down rubbish we had to accept back in NZ. The local people amaze me with what they do and so quickly.

Just for a change Im off to try Sausage King tomorrow. With all the feedbackIve read from TV its bound to be good

I'm with you CMKiwi. I'll take street food anytime. I've eaten street food all over SE Asia and never had a bad belly from it either. The dumbed-down Thai food they serve in hotels to tourists should come with a label that says barely made in Thailand.

David

• Like 1

I'm with you CMKiwi. I'll take street food anytime. I've eaten street food all over SE Asia and never had a bad belly from it either. The dumbed-down Thai food they serve in hotels to tourists should come with a label that says barely made in Thailand.

David

Next time you fancy a bite of "street food" take a close look at how the food is stored (often chicken and shellfish is kept out unrefrigerated), handled (most often without latex gloves), and prepared. Then take a look at how they wash the dishes. You may change your mind. After you've had food poisoning a couple of times you begin to notice things like that. My partner and her family won't touch street food and they are Thai. I'll agree that some proper sit-down Thai restaurants aren't much better.

David

Next time you fancy a bite of "street food" take a close look at how the food is stored (often chicken and shellfish is kept out unrefrigerated), handled (most often without latex gloves), and prepared. Then take a look at how they wash the dishes. You may change your mind. After you've had food poisoning a couple of times you begin to notice things like that. My partner and her family won't touch street food and they are Thai. I'll agree that some proper sit-down Thai restaurants aren't much better.

I doubt that they have changed their methods over the 40+ years I have been eating street food from Mexico to SE Asia. Maybe I am just blessed with a good constitution but I'll bet is more likely that I follow the old British colonial maxim: If you can't cook it, boil it, or peal it, don't eat it. If I see a street vendor that has something I like and it looks like it has been sitting out a while, I just ask them to cook me some fresh. Never had a refusal. Plus, I tend to eat at places that have a lot of locals eating there. If a vendor starts poisoning or killing off the locals, they will not be in business long. Following those basic rules has kept me healthy and well fed for a long time.

David

• Like 2

An astonishing review! And I was claiming to be CM's most verbose poster!! Hah!! But I did make it to the end of this review, which OP obviously worked very hard on!

I haven't been there in a while, but I agree with UG that some of the deserts are terrific, especially the apple pie! A "really good" apple pie around here is not cheap ! Generally, the grub has been quite presentable, but, yes, a pit pricey. All in all, I have found the place quite pleasant, and I think we ought to remember that we are in Chiang Mai, not Paris. And that ThaiVisa Chiang Mai is not the Michelin.

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

David

I doubt that they have changed their methods over the 40+ years I have been eating street food from Mexico to SE Asia. Maybe I am just blessed with a good constitution but I'll bet is more likely that I follow the old British colonial maxim: If you can't cook it, boil it, or peal it, don't eat it. If I see a street vendor that has something I like and it looks like it has been sitting out a while, I just ask them to cook me some fresh. Never had a refusal. Plus, I tend to eat at places that have a lot of locals eating there. If a vendor starts poisoning or killing off the locals, they will not be in business long. Following those basic rules has kept me healthy and well fed for a long time.

David

Years ago when I first came to Thailand (about 8 years ago)

I was depending a lot on Lonely Planet as a guide. I remember in the where to eat in Chiang Mai that street venders were good because you can see the way the food is being handled.

About 50 years ago I worked for a hotel and restaurant supply company. We even had a large sheet metal shop to make all the stainless steel fixtures in the restaurant. Every once in a while a Restaurant would completely remake the kitchen. You would almost quit eating in restaurants if you saw some of those kitchens after every thing was removed.

I like their coconut cream pie and the key lime pie. Ive had the burger it was horrible. The owner is a friend of my mother and she is in her 70s I think she doesn't like to eat meat or beef that's why the food sucks.

• Like 1

Personally love street food here but am careful only to eat food that is either cooked from raw state for me unless I know the place well. For example a Noodle Soup where they put cooked pork that has been sitting at room temp. (34 degree) into a warm broth with freshly cooked noodles or Pork La Na or Ka Moo which is sitting there over a low heat source. Never mussles! And I also check if the raw meat is iced. Sure I've had some upset stomachs in my day and a few really bad ones, but that could happen anywhere and I'd rather suffer a few times than always worry and not enjoy life to the fullest (I partake in quite a bit of dangerous adventure sports too). Been to over 50 countries many using the Lonely Planet but have found their food suggestions usually aren't any good. Can't compare Thai food in another country as I wouldn't Mexican food here to in Mexico.

So I gather (OP here btw) from some of the well meaning and helpful posts that this place hasn't kept up with the times which can be necessary in an ever evolving industry especially with today's food trends and fads. I wish the owners continued good luck in their endeavor and will be sure to make it back to try some the other desserts that other posters so highly recommend.

Edited by junglechef

Most informative! I would very much like to enlist "junglechef" as TV Forum's chief food critic and to ask him to report on Chiang Mai restaurants on a regular basis.

Excellent report!

Yeah...but make the reviews a bit shorter !!

Most informative! I would very much like to enlist "junglechef" as TV Forum's chief food critic and to ask him to report on Chiang Mai restaurants on a regular basis.

Excellent report!

Thanks for the suggestion but it wasn't suppose to be a review as such since I only tried a few items, more like my thoughts, observations and frustrations as the title reflected (and this was the pared down version of these for the sake of all involved!). A critique as Mekong Bob suggests? Very much so with more to follow as he also recommends.

Edited by junglechef

The name says Bangkok Hiso all over it. The cars outside are Bangkok Hiso. It is Western food to Thais as River Market is Thai food to westerners. Acknowledging this doesn't make the OP's complaints more valid.

• Like 1

The name says Bangkok Hiso all over it. The cars outside are Bangkok Hiso. It is Western food to Thais as River Market is Thai food to westerners. Acknowledging this doesn't make the OP's complaints more valid.

I believe the founders are HiSo.

Some thing to do with starting a hospital and living in the States for a long time.

Still the grasshopper pie even with a tough gram cracker crust is mighty tasty.

• Like 1

Excellent report!

Thanks for the suggestion but it wasn't suppose to be a review as such since I only tried a few items, more like my thoughts, observations and frustrations as the title reflected (and this was the pared down version of these for the sake of all involved!). A critique as Mekong Bob suggests? Very much so with more to follow as he also recommends.

But you do put forward a good review and you stick by your guns (as I found out), which I appreciate, you're not afraid to go toe to toe with someone on your opinion. I hate these food reviews that start out as one thing and end up as another. Do it, do it honestly and stick by your guns through good, bad or whatever we throw at you. biggrin.png

• Like 2

I believe the founders are HiSo.

Some thing to do with starting a hospital and living in the States for a long time.

Still the grasshopper pie even with a tough gram cracker crust is mighty tasty.

Where did you hear about starting a hospital? I am just curious, as I have been in a conversation with the owners and I don't recall anything about a hospital. Could be, just, as I said, I don't recall any mention of that. My recollection is working for an airline for one and a computer company for the other.

MSPain

Glad we can agree on some points and have no problem disagreeing on other's, agreeing to disagree is so with the new "why can't we all just get along" attitude here! So with that constructive attitude I'm also interested in your opinion. What statement of mine do you consider not valid and what are your thoughts on them?