Love at First Bite - My observations, thoughts and frustrations

junglechef

The name says Bangkok Hiso all over it. The cars outside are Bangkok Hiso. It is Western food to Thais as River Market is Thai food to westerners. Acknowledging this doesn't make the OP's complaints more valid.

Glad we can agree on some points and have no problem disagreeing on other's, agreeing to disagree is so with the new "why can't we all just get along" attitude here! So with that constructive attitude I'm also interested in your opinion. What statement of mine do you consider not valid and what are your thoughts on them?

What does it matter which level of society they are? Or who they may or may not cater to.

That is just ridiculous. Just Because people with nice cars and money frequent the business?

Do I see the green head of envy sprouting up?

Also, I'm never a big fan of so called food critics. If anyone thinks their Hi so it's always a film or food critic. (Not directed at Junglechef)

• Like 1

What does it matter which level of society they are? Or who they may or may not cater to.

That is just ridiculous. Just Because people with nice cars and money frequent the business?

Do I see the green head of envy sprouting up?

Also, I'm never a big fan of so called food critics. If anyone thinks their Hi so it's always a film or food critic. (Not directed at Junglechef)

It has been said (and repeated by me on TV previously) "everyone is a food and movie critic". I believe that the discussion concerning if it's Hi-So or not derives from me saying it was in my OP with others following in agreement and disagreement. I agree that it doesn't matter as I and fellow members have posted their fancy for street food too.

Western style restaurant critics are as scarce as hens' teeth here.

There's a good reason.

Don't mean to hen peck every post though I do think it is in good manners to respond (my Mother always made me send thanks you notes too). But honestly I'm not sure what your implying. Is it that there aren't many decent Western style restaurants here? Now on the other hand if you were suggesting that they are abundant here I'd have to reply with another question, Do chickens have lips?

The name says Bangkok Hiso all over it. The cars outside are Bangkok Hiso. It is Western food to Thais as River Market is Thai food to westerners. Acknowledging this doesn't make the OP's complaints more valid.

I believe the founders are HiSo.

Some thing to do with starting a hospital and living in the States for a long time.

Still the grasshopper pie even with a tough gram cracker crust is mighty tasty.

Where did you hear about starting a hospital? I am just curious, as I have been in a conversation with the owners and I don't recall anything about a hospital. Could be, just, as I said, I don't recall any mention of that. My recollection is working for an airline for one and a computer company for the other.

MSPain

I heard the whole story quite awhile ago and was not that interested in it any how. As the person telling it was trying to impress me with it. It could have been one of there parents who started the hospital I think it was the mental hospital. Sorry for not being able to be more clear on it.

Edited by hellodolly

Glad we can agree on some points and have no problem disagreeing on other's, agreeing to disagree is so with the new "why can't we all just get along" attitude here! So with that constructive attitude I'm also interested in your opinion. What statement of mine do you consider not valid and what are your thoughts on them? 

I didn't disagree with much, you were a bit picky about the tables arrangement and 3 menus, but other than that I wouldn't complain.

The Hiso element I think is important, and explains the way it is. An educated, cultured westerner will be seen enjoying food from a variety of cultures, an Englishman who sticks to pork chops, mash and peas is seen as less cultured. The Thai Hiso knows this and doesn't want to be like the English pork chop eater, the Thai Hiso wants to be adventurous in their eating to be more like the cultured, educated westerner. But they have a similar problem to the westerner, who cannot sit and sweat through a spicy Tom Yam Gung, so goes for the River Market option. The Thai isn't into the taste of authentic western food and so seeks out establishments like Love at First Bite as it fits the bill of edible foreigb food.

That is what Love at First Bite is doing, making the Thai Hiso feel like they are enjoying western food.

All IMHO of course.

• Like 1

I didn't disagree with much, you were a bit picky about the tables arrangement and 3 menus, but other than that I wouldn't complain.

The Hiso element I think is important, and explains the way it is. An educated, cultured westerner will be seen enjoying food from a variety of cultures, an Englishman who sticks to pork chops, mash and peas is seen as less cultured. The Thai Hiso knows this and doesn't want to be like the English pork chop eater, the Thai Hiso wants to be adventurous in their eating to be more like the cultured, educated westerner. But they have a similar problem to the westerner, who cannot sit and sweat through a spicy Tom Yam Gung, so goes for the River Market option. The Thai isn't into the taste of authentic western food and so seeks out establishments like Love at First Bite as it fits the bill of edible foreigb food.

That is what Love at First Bite is doing, making the Thai Hiso feel like they are enjoying western food.

All IMHO of course.

I agree with you that I'm being picky on the tables and menus points as I was coming from the front of the house (dining room) perspective that they are trying to emulating, a Western one where these things would have been taken into account. I always have said "Everything Is Everything" (as opposed to "presentation is everything" etc.) and you can quote me on that!

But with all due respect to your opinion while thanking you for responding to my questions, I really think that if they were served a crispy piece of fish in-between the same bun, which is how Thai fried fish most often comes out, they would have been just if not more pleased with it. I believe the same is true if the Rum Raisin Ice Cream was with-out the horrible bite, as my Thai companion that day described it (who by the way loves Rum Raisin Ice Cream now that I exposed it to her and she doesn't even drink alcohol!)

Now if were talking about an unfamiliar food, say French cuisine such as foie gras or a plate of Blanquette de Veau with a Thai not exactly knowing what it was or how to eat it along with the unfamiliar richness on their tounge and digestive systems I'd agree. But one (of my many) main points was that this is only simple American bar food which has flavors that should be easy on the stomach and wallet for all.

That being said I totally agree with you that Love at First Bite is making Thai's feel like they are enjoying Western food but why not instead let them to really enjoy Western food?

WOW! I think Dave's "Why don't we all just get along" post is really working. Thanks for all the well mannered responses. alexander69, yes a retired Chef who knows the biz well enough to not have the urge to do it again here, mainly because I think it would not be enjoyable, which is why I always did it, dealing with some of the staffing, supply and other necessary elements (never the less the price points). Also if your going to be a Chef driven place it's a younger man's game but I loved every second (and 16 hr. day) of it. Perhaps again when my three son's, the oldest 9 now, who are quite capable around a blade and heat source, actually want to have their own restaurant as they say they do now, I'll be the old fat falang greeting people and buying them a glass of vino.

The fact of the matter is there is a way to have an honest discussion. Thanks for thinking of me. By the way, there are still a few tickets left for the 4th.

Love At First Bite? My kids love it and I love the Banana Cream Pie. It is a little pricy but Chiang Mai is getting pricy for good quality products.

D

• Like 1