Ecuador 'analysing' Snowden asylum request: FM

webfact

Putin said a few hours ago no way to a release. I guess paybacks are a bitch (Viktor Bout et.al.) This is all just normal superpower vs. ex-superpower + rising superpower stuff. Putin did say that Snowden was in that neverland of the "transit zone" at the airport, whatever that means. whistling.gif

As far as special intel services from both China and Russia not interested in "draining" either Snowden's laptop or brain, I say "yeah sure," rolleyes.gif

I have this distinct feeling that he wishes he could leave wherever he is at. I kind feel sorry for him. In 3 months he will have changed nothing but his life and US policies for giving out security clearances.

I can hear Russian dude saying "lap tops? Sir you did not have any lap tops when you landed here."

Edited by F430murci

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Putin said a few hours ago no way to a release. I guess paybacks are a bitch (Viktor Bout et.al.) This is all just normal superpower vs. ex-superpower + rising superpower stuff. Putin did say that Snowden was in that neverland of the "transit zone" at the airport, whatever that means. whistling.gif

As far as special intel services from both China and Russia not interested in "draining" either Snowden's laptop or brain, I say "yeah sure," rolleyes.gif

I have this distinct feeling that he wishes he could leave wherever he is at. I kind feel sorry for him. In 3 months he will have changed nothing but his life and US policies for giving out security clearances.

Yeah, when I think about Assange locked in his small Ecuadorian "jail cell in Knightsbridge" and Snowden locked in some cloud in Moscow, both not likely to go anywhere, it seems these guys are living a Matrix-like existence. I imagine both will have second thoughts about their motivations. Ecuador does seem to be a fly wanting to be swatted by the U.S. though.

Wonder if the CIA is planning any mischief there?

• Like 1

Donald Trump calls for Snowden's assassination

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=putI07_OFbc

does anyone wonder about the moves of Snowden now?

The overall reaction of the gov and many people in the public tells us more about the rotten stage of a country, that was once thriving when it still was the land of the free.

Instead of keeping him close and invite him back home to discuss the issue in public would have done better to America than the 'hang him high' brigade.

What has he revealed that was not known? It just bothers most that the mainstream media couldn't resist and had to leave the mind control concept on this one. This is probably the real reason for the outrage within the "circles".

The longer this concept is followed the worse it will get for America. More people need to wake up.

Oh please. Trump is a blowhard with an ego that's bigger than Assange's. Trump was also the one that kept insisting Obama wasn't a US national.

Vlad Putin is having fun with this affair. Aside from the potential source of information, Putin has no use for people like Snowden except to perhaps use them for target practice. Putin has been down this road before back when he was a Lt. Col. in the KGB, except back then, he was dealing with Russian defectors and the problems they caused. He's giving the USA a bit of payback. There is no reason why Russia should cooperate. It is not as if the USA would return a Russian that did similar.

I have to give the chap credit for his cool and calculated style. He's not one to be pushed around or to respond to threats. He can read real world politik and so far no has dared to take him on, certainly not the Europeans who are dependent upon Russian natural gas. The USA can't do a thing about this.

Perhaps now regular Americans and some of their Congressional representatives will wake up to the fact that the USA has lost so much of its good will and really cannot count on too many countries to help out when it needs some assistance. Snowden's toast, and when Vlad's done having his fun, Snowden will be tossed under the bus.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Oh please. Trump is a blowhard with an ego that's bigger than Assange's Trump was also the one that kept insisting Obama wasn't a US national.

Actually, Trump never insisted anything. He said that he was "a little skeptical" of Obama's citizenship and it is not a secret that the birther issue was initially brought up by the Hillary Clinton campaign when she was running against Obama for president.

When it comes to Snowden, he is probably right, but it should certainly not be announced publicly.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Oh please. Trump is a blowhard with an ego that's bigger than Assange's Trump was also the one that kept insisting Obama wasn't a US national.

Actually, Trump never insisted anything. He said that he was "a little skeptical" of Obama's citizenship and it is not a secret that the birther issue was initially brought up by the Hillary Clinton campaign when she was running against Obama for president.

When it comes to Snowden, he is probably right, but it should certainly not be announced publicly.

Really. Not sure I remember it that way, but I paid little attention to all that birth certificate stuff.

Geriatric hit the nail on the head about what Russia and Putin would think of someone like Snowden.

On Putin, I don't like him, but at least you have to give him credit for standing up for Russia's interests. No namby-pamby apologies from him.

Most Russians seem to think he robbed the shit out of mother Russia. I like him because he has balls. The Chinese confirmed their little balls status by sending Snowden packing at the first sign of trouble.

Russians are proud, tough people and their leaders really could care less about what we think. They never have. Just lip service when needed some assistance.

US is soft because we have comfy, easy lives and everyone is too scared to rock the boat because we have too much to lose.

Edited by F430murci

On Putin, I don't like him, but at least you have to give him credit for standing up for Russia's interests. No namby-pamby apologies from him.

Putin will always stand-up for Russia's interest....just so long as it doesn't conflict with his own personal interests.

• Like 1

Donald Trump calls repeatedly for Snowden's assassination

It's sometimes hard to know what to think about something with so much information coming from so many self interested sources. Generally speaking however, if I find myself in total diagreement with whatever Donald Trump has to say I know I'm not too far off the right track.

Donald Trump is way off on the right, as in wingnut. Trump was a strident birther too. Now Trump wants to make assassination a part of US foreign policy. Trump wants Snowden assassinated. Trump is a nutcake.

• Like 2

Snowden is in way over his head. I have no sympathy for him at all.

Probably by the end of it, there will be a new word for people like him - a Snowden. Like a Quisling.

Snowden has made no comments for quite some time. It is the US govt making all the noise. Why some on here believe everything the US govt is saying after all the crap they have lied about is beyond me.

Snowden's 15 minutes may have expired.

• Like 1

Donald Trump calls repeatedly for Snowden's assassination

It's sometimes hard to know what to think about something with so much information coming from so many self interested sources. Generally speaking however, if I find myself in total diagreement with whatever Donald Trump has to say I know I'm not too far off the right track.

Donald Trump is way off on the right, as in wingnut. Trump was a strident birther too. Now Trump wants to make assassination a part of US foreign policy. Trump wants Snowden assassinated. Trump is a nutcake.

You may not have got the memo, but assasination is once again a part of US foreign policy. Agreed, Trump is a nut case and a con man.

a very interesting interview with President Correa (24min) gives a lot of insights that was only speculated by American, Asian and European public. He presented actually a proof.

the Media owned by bankers, police paid by the US Embassies and so forth ... run up why Correa kicked out the US Ambassador ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TXEffhwXuG0

• Like 2

a very interesting interview with President Correa (24min) gives a lot of insights that was only speculated by American, Asian and European public. He presented actually a proof.

the Media owned by bankers, police paid by the US Embassies and so forth ... run up why Correa kicked out the US Ambassador ...

You believe everything that Chavez wannabe says? Oy!

• Like 1

The Company Snowden Keeps

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/06/24/the_company_snowden_keeps_118930.html

From the article: One might argue that Snowden’s trips to Hong Kong and Moscow do not imply endorsement of what their regimes are doing. Yet it is worth noting that, in addition to disclosures about NSA surveillance of Americans’ phone calls and emails, Snowden has also shared information about U.S. cyber-snooping on Russia and China. It is now reported that before Snowden left Hong Kong, Chinese intelligence may have managed to “drain” the contents of his four laptop computers.

So who said China 'may have' drained the contents of his laptops?

More conjecture, more sprouting from the US govt. Give us facts, not tin foil hat conspiracies.

It was foreseeable when Edward Snowden fled to Hong Kong and then to Moscow that all the secrets he was carrying on his four laptops would fall into the hands of Chinese and Russian intelligence agencies. Those agencies make constant and formidable efforts to acquire U.S. secrets, and could not be expected to forego the opportunity of acquiring the secrets Snowden brought to them.

Ask yourself what the U.S. would do if an equivalent defector from China or Russia stopped off in New York City en route to exile in South America while carrying laptops full of state secrets. The highly classified information probably includes new nuclear war plans recently drawn up by the US consequent to Prez Obama's recent agreements with Russia to limit further manufacture and deployment of nuclear weapons.

Some of the secrets would be of great value to a foreign intelligence agency, revealing the parameters of intelligence gathering capabilities. So besides tipping off terrorists to change their methods of communication, Snowden betrayed his country to each China and Russia.

Each the CCP and Moscow would be flat out stupid and grossly negligent not to take all the information Snowden has with him. It matters not anyway, as it is a virtual certainty that Assange will publish everything Snowden has regardless of whether Snowden is apprehended. Only a naïve idiot would think or believe Beijing and Moscow have not completely accessed the contents of Snowden's four laptops.

However, even if Beijing or Moscow were incompetent enough and just plain stupid not to have taken it, all they would need to do is to sit back and wait to see everything as it is published by Wikileaks, which has announced is paying Snowden's travel expenses and legal fees.

Edward Snowden is a one man wrecking crew against the United States of America. Snowden is gonna be caught and he's going to go away for a long time. Capital punishment in the grievous instance of Edward Snowden might not be an extreme punishment.

U.S. officials: China, Russia gained access to Snowden’s secrets

http://freebeacon.com/breach/

NSA leaker Snowden weakens U.S. efforts against terrorism

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/blogs/brandywine-to-broad/item/56507-nsa-leaker-snowden-weakens-us-against-terrorism-china-and-russia-and-exposes-public-ignorance-of-technology

Did Russia, China Harvest Snowden's Secrets?

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174983/did-russia-china-harvest-snowdens-secrets#

I don't know if he will be caught but even if he makes it to Ecuador, governments have been known to CHANGE there ... coffee1.gif

The US has revoked his passport, so he cannot travel unless he somehow gets a new passport, fake one, or something else. Unless he pulls a Jason Bourne, he is on his way to a date at some point with a prosecutor of High Treason.

I don't know if he will be caught but even if he makes it to Ecuador, governments have been known to CHANGE there ... coffee1.gif

The US has revoked his passport, so he cannot travel unless he somehow gets a new passport, fake one, or something else. Unless he pulls a Jason Bourne, he is on his way to a date at some point with a prosecutor of High Treason.

If he can make it to Ecuador, which might not be easy of course, I am sure they will at least grant him entry until his asylum case is made, which of course will succeed if he can get there.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Thanks that was very good actually & I am glad I watched.

A lot of interesting thoughts about current affairs & how they create change

That section at about 20 min in was good.

Also some funny things said like " We have no problem with the US having a military base here

would they have a problem with us having a military base in Florida" :lol:

If he can make it to Ecuador, which might not be easy of course, I am sure they will at least grant him entry until his asylum case is made, which of course will succeed if he can get there.

I had read yesterday, and it's repeated in the first link below, that Equador has issued Snowden refugee travel papers. This also seems to strongly suggest that asylum will be granted by Equador. However, there is some question about the cost to Equador of granting asylum. The cost to the small Equadoran economy and its tiny population of 14 million people, may turn out to be too great.

It's also not clear whether refugee documents are valid for travel to a second country, i.e., beyond the original single destination of Russia as provided when refugee international travel documents are issued by a government.

Edward Snowden's Choice Of Ecuador Is Riddled With Problems

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/edward-snowden-ecuador-spying-press-asylum-2013-6#ixzz2XJlxAsk6

Why Edward Snowden Is So Valuable to Russia

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-edward-snowden-is-quite-valuable-to-russia-2013-6#ixzz2XJnHDpHc

Journalists Scoured The Airport Transit Area And Found No Sign Of Snowden

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/snowden-not-in-a-moscow-transit-center-2013-6#ixzz2XJugFtON

Edited by Publicus

Thanks that was very good actually & I am glad I watched.

A lot of interesting thoughts about current affairs & how they create change

That section at about 20 min in was good.

Also some funny things said like " We have no problem with the US having a military base here

would they have a problem with us having a military base in Florida" laugh.png

The absurd thought considering geopolitical realities shows the lengths to which some people like to try to go.

I read an item yesterday asserting the chances the U.S. will retaliate against Ecuador with economic damage (as discussed before here there is a bill coming up in congress soon about a special trade situation) is quite low because that would stir up anti-American feelings all over Latin America, so it probably wouldn't be worth it for the USA even if was well justified.

I read an item yesterday asserting the chances the U.S. will retaliate against Ecuador with economic damage (as discussed before here there is a bill coming up in congress soon about a special trade situation) is quite low because that would stir up anti-American feelings all over Latin America, so it probably wouldn't be worth it for the USA even if was well justified.

Yes, so we'll need to wait to see what might happen, or not happen. It could cost the US to act as if it were the CCP-PRC trying to bully some much smaller country such as, say, Vietnam, as Beijing is trying to do in its absurd and dangerous claim it has absolute sovereignty over the entire South China Sea.

The article in my post above did present some horrifying aspects of Ecuador's massive and technologically sophisticated surveillance state. It's no irony Snowden would feel fine and comfy there as he only has objections to the United States taking necessary actions to preserve and protect its national and global security.

The days of economic threats are quickly setting.

There are many sectors of energy now in Latin America & many buyers.

It is a two way street

Economic sanctions or threats backfire more often than provide results these days.

Besides is it about time to grow up & get on with cleaning our own house?

How silly does the US need to look these days?

Imagine Russia after the Viktor Bout episode saying well fine we are not talking to you anymore nor doing any

business with you. We are not your friend anymore

Grow Up for pete's sake

• Like 1

It's actually not about sanctions. The USA has a special favorable program now with Ecuador and word is if stopped, that's 400,000 Ecuadorian jobs lost. Nothing to do with sanctions. Just the option of dropping an especially favorable program for them.

Correa is taking a big risk with his showboating, but he won't get hurt, only a lot of his people.

Edited by Jingthing

a link please

Either that or Obama will try to avoid looking completely impotent and actually get Snowden from Ecuador, something he could not do from China or Russia.

We have the hit point where it is time for US to really stop worrying about be likeable, especially with those that already don't like the US.

The smart move would have been to act like Snowden was no big deal and then get him when he ends up in some place like Ecuador. John Kerry's little rhetoric speech against Russia was just pathetic sounding as has been all congressmen to this point. What a whining bunch of wusses.

The strong play is to say little in public and do what needs to be done behind the scenes. Bashing Russia for not turning over a defector with juicy information is pathetic rhetoric. Like we would if tables were turned.

Edited by F430murci