Ecuador 'analysing' Snowden asylum request: FM

webfact

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Publicus you said this in reference to Assange and Snowden:

Both are wanted by the US government on espionage charges.

I am not aware of any known source of information that Assange is wanted by the US for espionage. This topic is about Snowden, but I believe that statement is incorrect. Let me know if I am wrong.

But Hagel insisted that Snowden was simply a criminal who'd put Americans in danger.

"The threats are constant," said Hagel, who noted that he represented Nebraska in the Senate "when we passed most of these laws that set up the systems that we are working with today."

"They are legal, and they do protect the United States," he said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/26/19156698-hagel-calls-on-russia-to-return-edward-snowden-to-answer-for-serious-security-breach?lite

I have to say I wish these lame arse nut bags like Hagel and Kerry would shut the heck up. The more they blabber, the weaker they sound. As if Putin cares what these guys say. In fact, the more they open their mouths the more Putin will dig in. Putin is a brawler and won't back down from a good fight.

Russia would already have what Snowden has so begging for his return is pointless. Back off, act like no big deal and pick him up whereever he lands when Russia is done with him.

Edited by F430murci

Yes, Correa has chickened out by saying it will take MONTHS to decide on asylum. He's clearly trying to play a game to preserve the special trade PREFERENCES Ecuador now enjoys with the USA. The timing of the issue in Congress might prove to be unfortunate for Snowden. Again this isn't about sanctions, it's about consequences of possibly losing SPECIAL breaks for being actively provocative towards the USA.

Ecuador is the fifth-largest South American oil producer and a leading source of crude oil imports for the U.S. West Coast.

Perhaps if some want to be childish & take their marbles & go home others will do the same??

That is the problem with acting childish or trying to buy your friends.

Venezuela. Not where I would want to live. I could not wait to get the f out of there when I was there in 1989 and the cops and everyone will totally screw with you if you look American.

I had the privilege of being mugged in the subway in Caracas by a gang of pickpockets who slit your pocket with a knife sometimes cutting something else off in the process. Yeah, I'm sure treason boy will enjoy his time there. clap2.gif

• Like 1

I am not aware of any known source of information that Assange is wanted by the US for espionage. This topic is about Snowden, but I believe that statement is incorrect. Let me know if I am wrong.

I believe you are correct

In 2010 US Rep Peter King told/requested US Attorney General Eric Holder that Assange should be

prosecuted under the Espionage Act of 1917. It was never granted/executed to my knowledge

To this day I believe the only charge he is evading is a sexual misconduct charge from Sweden.

He has not answered it in fear of US powers persuading Sweden to extradite him to the US when they are through

with him

Edited by mania

Snowden Not Being 'Debriefed' by FSB – WikiLeaks

MOSCOW, June 26 (RIA Novosti) – Fugitive former CIA employee Edward Snowden, who is wanted by the United States for leaking state secrets, is not collaborating with Russia's Federal Security Service, the FSB, anti-secrecy group WikiLeaks said on its Twitter feed Wednesday.

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20130626/181888578/Snowden-Not-Being-Debriefed-by-FSB--WikiLeaks.html

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And I have some prime land in Florida I can sell you real cheap - a tremendous once in a lifetime deal, for you today only. w00t.gif .

Hey, if Snowden didn't steal the reams of highly classified information to make them public and to pass on to the CCP from Hong Kong, and now Moscow where he is their hostage, then for what reason did he steal them? To crunch them up to eat with milk for breakfast?!

Wikileaks is going to publish everything regardless of what happens to Snowden. The CCP and the Russians want to know now, first. The rest of the world will have to wait but we'll all see everything sooner or later.

Get real.

The content of/and links I post here from other sources is to show a wide range of reports/editions about Snowden so that everyone can make their own picture of how things running and is not necessarily my personal judgement, opinion or view on it.

Prior to 2012, the whole world took notice in 2010 when the FBI rounded up 10 undercover Russian agents in America including the "SoHo Spy" Anna Chapman but far fewer heard in 2011 when it was revealed a Russian intelligence official in Moscow had given the spy ring up and then fled to the U.S. That man, Col. Alexander Poteyev, reportedly had been recruited by the CIA.

Now with Snowden, a former contractor for the National Security Agency with a head and, reportedly, laptops full of U.S. secrets, Major said the Russians have been handed a victory, even if Snowden insists he's not working with any governments.

"One of the highest targets [for foreign intelligence agencies] has always been the NSA, one of the hardest targets for them ever to penetrate," Major said. "[Russian intelligence] is going to look at this case as an opportunity, as a treasure trove of intelligence that [will be] exploited to the extent that they can, and then when they decide, they'll move on."

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=19495341

"Nothing has changed and nothing will change," Major said. "You can have all the kind of reset you want on the political side the Russian intelligence service is going to conduct intelligence. It's in their national interest to do so. American intelligence is going to do the same thing."

But Hagel insisted that Snowden was simply a criminal who'd put Americans in danger.

"The threats are constant," said Hagel, who noted that he represented Nebraska in the Senate "when we passed most of these laws that set up the systems that we are working with today."

"They are legal, and they do protect the United States," he said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/26/19156698-hagel-calls-on-russia-to-return-edward-snowden-to-answer-for-serious-security-breach?lite

I have to say I wish these lame arse nut bags like Hagel and Kerry would shut the heck up. The more they blabber, the weaker they sound. As if Putin cares what these guys say. In fact, the more they open their mouths the more Putin will dig in. Putin is a brawler and won't back down from a good fight.

Russia would already have what Snowden has so begging for his return is pointless. Back off, act like no big deal and pick him up whereever he lands when Russia is done with him.

I agree that they should have never put this 'primary school drama production' into place and shut up.

Snowden would have never touched down in Moscow. With their 'whimsically yours' attitude they have managed to guide him to Moscow, no?

Leak of Private Intelligence Firm Documents Confirm Existence of Secret Indictment by Secret Grand Jury

(Scott, to help to distinguish between text from the cited URLs and my writing, I will present my own writing in this post in Italics.This post is in response to your reasonable inquiry and request to provide information pertaining to extant US charges against Julian Assange. The extant charges against Assange are not generally known because they are under seal. I myself only found out about them after the Snowden thing broke.)

Stratfor e-mails released on 29 February 2012 revealed that a sealed indictment has been issued by a secret grand jury convened by US prosecutors of the Justice Department, in Alexandria, Virginia, for Julian Assange. The email is dated 26 January 2011. This means that there has likely been a sealed extradition order against Assange for a year and a half, which will be activated (unsealed) against Assange in Sweden, Australia and the UK when the US Government gives the order.

On only two occasions did Sweden not extradite as requested by the US because it could not locate the suspects. However, in Assange’s case, he will be put in detention indefinitely upon arrival. Having Assange in custody since 7 December 2010 in the UK (house arrest) and then in Sweden facilitates the extradition procedure once it is put in motion by the United States (although there are suggestions that a sealed indictment has already been issued to the governments of the UK, Sweden, Australia).

http://justice4assange.com/US-Extradition.html

CCR Condemns Reported Sealed Indictment Against WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange

February 28, 2012, New York – Leaks published today from Stratfor, a private intelligence corporation, indicate the United States Department of Justice has issued a secret, sealed indictment against Julian Assange, the founder of Wikileaks. (The Center for Constitutional Rights.)

[email protected]

The UK government has the legal option to exempt the Ecuadorian Embassy from its diplomatic immunity under international law by using a special circumstances clause which is not yet precise to me, although I have seen references to it. I think the US however is focused on Edward Snowden and that the UK will use the legal special exemption provision of international law to legally enter the Ecuadorian Embassy only if Snowden is apprehended and directly implicates Assange in Snowden's fugitive flight, and/or if Wikileaks publishes all, most or some of the documents and information Snowden stole. I think then the UK would invoke the legal clause to enter the embassy to apprehend Assange, citing the sealed indictment it has from the US (which the US Embassy in the UK would activate by unsealing it for UK authorities.).

As documented in this post, Scott, the US government in January 2012 obtained a sealed indictment from a secretly convened grand jury in the usual venue for its espionage trials, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. The court, in Alexandria, Virginia, is a short drive across the Potomac River on the 14th Street Bridge from Washington DC, and is near the Pentagon.

If Assange is sent to Sweeden, he's cooked. The sealed indictment is already at the U.S. Embassy in Sweeden and will be opened, i.e., activated, the moment Assange sets foot on Swedish soil. The charge cannot be of a political nature, so it has to do with computer crimes. The Swedish government will do what the PRC government avoided doing, i.e., issue a temporary extradition order to send Assange to the United States to be charged in a court of law, the indictment unsealed, additional charges be added to the indictment by a new grand jury, then proceed to trial. All of this occurs of course over a period of time.

The temporary extradition order comes from the prime minister of Sweden, who has failed in such orders only twice since 2000 when the persons sought could not be found. Sweden and the United States have an extradition treaty which allows expedited temporary extraditions under executive order without involvement of the courts. So Assange knows if he allows himself to be sent by the UK to Sweden, under arrest all the while to be immediately detained in Sweeden, he's a goner. The US will get him.

It's a temporary extradition order because the US Government has agreed to return Assange to Sweden for further investigation there of the sexual assault charges after Assange has completed his prison term in the United States.

Remember the US, the UK, Australia, Sweden suffer from the same intelligence leaks published by Assange at Wikileaks that were provided by Pvt Bradley Manning.So all the principal countries that have Assange or will have Assange were among those subjected to the Wikileaks disclosures.

By the way, the following episode demonstrates why, if I were Edward Snowden, I wouldn't go anywhere near Iceland right now, or ever. I also have taken note that Snowden has stopped talking about Iceland and is instead focused on seeking asylum from leftist governments of South America.

EXTRADITING ASSANGE - Iceland

But the releases of 2010 put WikiLeaks on the US radar as it had never been before. While preparing the release of Collateral Murder in Iceland WikiLeaks had been subject to aggressive surveillance. Julian Assange was tailed by US agents on his journey from Iceland to speak in Norway. This was described by Norwegian publication ABC Nyheter.

US operations against WikiLeaks in Iceland did not stop in 2010. It recently emerged in 2013 that eight FBI agents secretly entered Iceland in 2011 to interrogate an alleged associate of WikiLeaks. When discovered by the Icelandic Minister of the Interior, they were asked to leave. They stayed against his wishes, continued their operation, and then took an alleged WikiLeaks associate with them back to the United States.

http://justice4assange.com/extraditing-assange.html

I suspect Edward Snowden stopped thinking and talking about Iceland after he and Wikileaks had made contact during Snowden's one month stay in Hong Kong. The FBI has a standing "no comment" on this report by Wikileaks staff.

Edited by Publicus

Now that the president of Equador has said it will take at least two months to decide on Snowden's application for asylum, poor Edward the stupid has gone begging to Venezuela, which says it would be pleased to do it. I guess Equadorian Pres Correa likes the preferred nation trade deal Equador has had with the US and which comes before Congress and Prez Obama for renewal next month.

Catch me if you can because I'm stuck in this dumpy Moscow airport transit area and I don't know where I'm going next either.That is, if I can manage to go anywhere at all.

Assange certainly hasn't been able to get Snowden to wherever it is Snowden needs to go. Oh yes, I'd almost forgot, Assange is holed up in the Equadorian Embassy in London the past year in a broom closet or some such. Both Assange and Snowden appear to be in an indefinite detention. Both are wanted by the US government on espionage charges. These guys whose purpose in life is to try to screw the United States always seem to find themselves in a river of sh*t.

Venezuelan President: We Would 'Almost Certainly' Grant Asylum To Edward Snowden

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/venezuela-edward-snowden-asylum-2013-6#ixzz2XMxO4q7s

Why do you say that Snowden has gone begging to Venezuela? 'Edward the stupid"? Oh dear, you seem to be getting more hysterical with every post. Even the link your handlers provided you with says, "Venezuela would almost certainly grant asylum if he asked for it". But you couldn't resist twisting this statement to suit your biased agenda could you? Also, in the light of the USA calling on countries who may protect Snowden to obey the rule of international law and return him to the US, the question must be asked. Will the US return the American citizen to Italy to face a legitimate retrial on murder charges? Will they also return the Cuban born self confessed terrorist and CIA agent convicted of the bombing of a Cuban airline which killed 73 people, also an admitted involvement in a string of bombings targeting hotels and nightspots? I thought not! No hypocrisy here then!

US Senator warns that trade ties with Ecuador could be damaged if the country grants Snowden asylum.

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/201362620346256248

Another rocket scientist Senator. Threatening Ecuador with trade sanctions while Snowden is IN Russia only makes it likely that Snowden will stay in Russia where we don't stand a chance of getting him. I guess this is why they become senators because they are too stupid to make any real money.

For Russias spy agencies, the arrival of Edward Snowden in Moscow on Sunday would have presented a great temptation, like a king salmon jumping into the lap of a grizzly bear. Here was a bona fide American intelligence source alighting in Russia with no valid passport, no bodyguards and no legal protections, possibly carrying several hard drives full of U.S. secrets and, apparently, unfriendly feelings toward his former employers at the CIA and the NSA.

So for two days Snowden has been hanging out among the stiff-backed chairs and lousy cafés of Sheremetyevo airport, within whispering distance of Russian spies, and all of them have avoided working with him? That would be a feat of restraint. The Kremlins intelligence agencies spend enormous resources trying to learn the kinds of secrets that Snowden possesses. And the U.S. surveillance programs he has already exposed to the Guardian and the Washington Post seem to be just a taste of the information he is carrying.

http://world.time.com/2013/06/25/snowden-and-putin-u-s-whistleblowers-fate-is-in-russian-presidents-hands/

According to Glenn Greenwald, the Guardian columnist who first reported the leak, Snowden has in his possession thousands of documents, which, if published, would impose crippling damage on the United States surveillance capabilities and systems around the world. At least in the past, Russian security services would have killed literally to get their hands on such a cache of documents.

http://world.time.com/2013/06/25/snowden-and-putin-u-s-whistleblowers-fate-is-in-russian-presidents-hands/

Now that the president of Equador has said it will take at least two months to decide on Snowden's application for asylum, poor Edward the stupid has gone begging to Venezuela, which says it would be pleased to do it. I guess Equadorian Pres Correa likes the preferred nation trade deal Equador has had with the US and which comes before Congress and Prez Obama for renewal next month.

Catch me if you can because I'm stuck in this dumpy Moscow airport transit area and I don't know where I'm going next either.That is, if I can manage to go anywhere at all.

Assange certainly hasn't been able to get Snowden to wherever it is Snowden needs to go. Oh yes, I'd almost forgot, Assange is holed up in the Equadorian Embassy in London the past year in a broom closet or some such. Both Assange and Snowden appear to be in an indefinite detention. Both are wanted by the US government on espionage charges. These guys whose purpose in life is to try to screw the United States always seem to find themselves in a river of sh*t.

Venezuelan President: We Would 'Almost Certainly' Grant Asylum To Edward Snowden

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/venezuela-edward-snowden-asylum-2013-6#ixzz2XMxO4q7s

. Even the link your handlers provided you with says,

." Even the link your handlers provided you with says,"

You are out of bounds pal with this my "handlers" crap.

I am me, myself. I write for myself. I do my own research.

Be careful of what you insinuate. I am up to my own natural level intellectually and culturally. Grow up. Show respect.

Your suggestions are wrong and out of bounds. I'm just out of your league, that's all. Get used to it, ye of the small and limited mind.

To add weight to the Snowden might be mentally unstable theory, it's now come out that some time ago Snowden was posting that leakers such as Wiki leaks leakers should be ... SHOT! coffee1.gif

I see the basis for an insanity defense if the U.S. ever gets hold of this guy.

To add weight to the Snowden might be mentally unstable theory, it's now come out that some time ago Snowden was posting that leakers such as Wiki leaks leakers should be ... SHOT! coffee1.gif

People are really stretching & spinning that one to fit yet the reality is otherwise.

If I remember right he was upset about them leaking the story about the US collaborating with Israel to bomb Iran

Of course any American would not like that published (or done for that matter) as it might actually start a preemptive

strike by Iran

If anything that story shows he cares about Americans same as his willingness to let Americans know

now what their elected government is doing To Them behind their backs.

Two very different matters that do not suggest mental instability in either

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I'm not convinced he cares about Americans. I would bet this about his 15 minutes of fame though his fame will certainly last longer than 15 minutes.

Well I sure cannot imagine any other reason for forfeiting his life & his freedom by alerting Americans to the peeping tom in their

midst. Yet in true current MSN driven useful idiots fashion there are some who care not about the peeping tom.

More convinced the peeping tom is working in their best interest by peeping into millions of lawful citizens affairs.

Not because they have done anything suspicious mind you but, because they can, because they are drunk with power.

I am happy though to see that over 60% of Americans are against what this administration has

allowed the NSA to do. It shows the useful idiots have not yet past the boiling point of 50%

Sadly is it not a good sign that they are near 40%.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

US aid to Ecuador questioned amid Snowden asylum bid

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/27/us-could-pull-millions-in-aid-to-ecuador-if-country-gives-snowden-asylum/#ixzz2XPSc85VG

We need to stop countries like Ecuador money. This is a good thing. Now I am really hoping Snowden some how makes it to Ecuador and they let him stay. Alas, we will just problem ending giving them billions more like we did to North Korea. US poloticiians are pusses.

US aid to Ecuador questioned amid Snowden asylum bid

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06/27/us-could-pull-millions-in-aid-to-ecuador-if-country-gives-snowden-asylum/#ixzz2XPSc85VG

We need to stop countries like Ecuador money. This is a good thing. Now I am really hoping Snowden some how makes it to Ecuador and they let him stay. Alas, we will just problem ending giving them billions more like we did to North Korea. US poloticiians are pusses.

There are pros and cons to stopping the favorable treatment. The pros are the government deserves to be spanked, but the people with the jobs didn't really do anything except to vote for a populist leader, and there would be a bad PR cost to taking action which would be seen as big bad USA hurting little old Ecuador, like a bully. Of course Latin Americans ALREADY think the USA is a bully (and nothing will likely change their minds about that really) so it's not an easy call.

Edited by Jingthing

You should check facts & figures instead of using sensationalism.

You may be surprised how little money the US gives Ecuador

Last one I could find was 6 million in 2008

Compare that to the ones in the list of which you will need to scroll way

down to find Ecuador

http://us-foreign-aid.findthedata.org/

Also do not think the US does not enjoy preferential treatment from Ecuador as well

as receive close to 400,000 barrels of oil per day

Yes that may only be 5% of the USA's need but it is not easily replaced.

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

And so it begins. This is so predictable. So anyone who finds it unacceptable that citizens have their private correspondence and telephone conversations spied on by faceless spooks in GCHQ and the NSA, and are all considered potential 'enemies within, and decides to expose this gross dereliction and abuse of power by the governments of our so called democracies must be mentally unstable? Of course, it goes without saying! Do our Lords and Masters really believe people are that gullible? My guess is that they are getting their defence in first, ready for the next revelations, which will probably expose more of their lies and wrongdoings. Intellectual pygmyism is what it is.

• Like 1