Education Min Phongthep admits Thai education system unsatisfactory

webfact

"Phongthep" admits Thai education system unsatisfactory

BANGKOK, 24 June 2013 (NNT) – Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana admits that the Thai education system is unsatisfactory and behind other countries in the ASEAN region. To tackle the problem, the ministry has drawn up some measures to restructure the system.

Education Minister Phongthep reveals that Thailand, each year, spends up to 20 percent of its annual budget on education, like other developed countries which spend a large amount of money on education and focus on human resource development.

Despite a tremendous amount of money Thailand has put into its educational system, the minister says the result is still unsatisfactory. However, he says the ministry has drawn up some solutions to the problem such as changing students’ and teachers’ perspectives by urging them to think and analyze instead of memorizing known as “rote learning”.

The minister further reveals that Thai students desperately need to improve their English language, especially the listening and speaking skills, in which Thai students are far behind those students in other ASEAN countries. The ministry will, therefore, bring in more English-speaking teachers to teach Thai kids.

Mr Phongthep adds that there are both crisis and opportunity for Thailand in entering the ASEAN Community. Therefore, Thai students need to learn all aspects about ASEAN and turn that crisis into opportunity for the sake of the country.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-24 footer_n.gif

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son attend a privat school in Surin 1 class or patum 1 or what they call it, english program. The english book they are using is written by two thais, i guess well paid for their effort. It is just terrible. When i complain to the teachers they just say, yes its all about practise. But when a 7 year old have to learn words he dont understand, i understand why the thais dont speak english. And i pay 25000 bth a term for this kind of rubbish, im at a loss what to do. Move to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to get him into an international school or what.

• Like 1

It's good he is actually admitting what everyone has known for years but with around two years to go to the new ASEAN grouping does he expect they can clap their hands and all the years of neglect, corruption, poor standards etc. etc. will be put right ?

• Like 1

It's good he is actually admitting what everyone has known for years but with around two years to go to the new ASEAN grouping does he expect they can clap their hands and all the years of neglect, corruption, poor standards etc. etc. will be put right ?

In all my involvement with Thailand I have never failed to be amazed at how everything gets left to the last minute with the very theatrical attitude of " it will be alright on the night ". It will take two years to sort out a teaching programme, test and refine it, sort out textbooks, get suitable teachers in place and so much more and that's presuming everyone is on board which is highly unlikely.

I would also have to say the more money that's put into teaching reform only means the more that will disappear.

Thailand is playing catch up and will be for a very long time.

My son attend a privat school in Surin 1 class or patum 1 or what they call it, english program. The english book they are using is written by two thais, i guess well paid for their effort. It is just terrible. When i complain to the teachers they just say, yes its all about practise. But when a 7 year old have to learn words he dont understand, i understand why the thais dont speak english. And i pay 25000 bth a term for this kind of rubbish, im at a loss what to do. Move to Bangkok or Chiang Mai to get him into an international school or what.

The total cost of books for my son was about 2000 baht for the year. He is in grade 4. These are mostly books from Singapore which are fine. They basically follow the primary course from the UK, Singapore style. The science book is based on the Thai curriculum but written by foreigners. I've not found any conceptual or grammatical errors in any book so far. There's no need to use material poorly written by overpaid Thais who don't have fluent grasp of the language, and won't accept there are any errors in their work!

My kids are using the Singapore books also.

Still don't grasp why they teach science and maths in two languages and then English separately also. Surely it would be better to teach English as a stand alone subject and let maths and science stay in Thai?

Total duplication of the subject matter is a waste of time massively increases the requirement to find more and more native speakers to cover the science and maths subjects.

Well I never, a government minister who talks some sense.

Yingluck should have him stuffed.

She will, she's just busy at a wedding today!

The total cost of books for my son was about 2000 baht for the year. He is in grade 4. These are mostly books from Singapore which are fine. They basically follow the primary course from the UK, Singapore style. The science book is based on the Thai curriculum but written by foreigners. I've not found any conceptual or grammatical errors in any book so far. There's no need to use material poorly written by overpaid Thais who don't have fluent grasp of the language, and won't accept there are any errors in their work!

Cullcine

Could you be so kind as to let us know the series of books you have bought for your son. Is the whole school on the same system.

affen02

25000 a term seems a lot for outside Bangkok/Chiangmai/Phuket. My daughter is in the best school in the town (population in and in the immediate surrounds 450 000 + ) and school fees are 6500 per term. Write down all the errors in the english book and go straight to the Director of the school, maybe try and get hold of an alternative (Cullcine could be a help here).

I would suggest he first work out where this tremendous amount of money has been spent, because it appears that for every 100 baht in, 20 to 30 baht miraculously disappears.

Whats the difference if it was all spent on education the students wouldn't know any more than they know now.sad.png

• Like 1

Personally I think they should keep Education Minister Phongthep on.

He is the first to publicly admit that the system needs changing.

He said

"he says the ministry has drawn up some solutions to the problem such as changing students’ and teachers’ perspectives by urging them to think and analyze instead of memorizing known as “rote learning”.

Notice he said nothing about using a machine. Also said teachers learn how to think and analyze. Funny how this thread can turn into the same old same same when a new element is added.

My wife's daughter and family just moved here to Chiang Mai from Nonkong Si Tamarhet. Sorry about the spelling. At any rate her two grand daughters were here after school doing a little home work. Turns out the 9 year old is learning English to what degree of quality two days of learning does not allow me to comment on. She is also learning in school some of the Chinese alphabet. The wife said just a little bit.

The way the wheels of progress can turn ever so slow they still need a start and I do believe this public announcement by the Minister of Education is a start.

• Like 1

I would suggest he first work out where this tremendous amount of money has been spent, because it appears that for every 100 baht in, 20 to 30 baht miraculously disappears.

Whats the difference if it was all spent on education the students wouldn't know any more than they know now.sad.png

The interesting aspect of all of these private, or semi-private fee paying English programs is that they are not classed for VAT or taxes because they are supposed to benefit education. The ridiculous thing, is when you do the rudimentary mathematics on the amount of kids per class, and the estimated wages of your back packer unqualified English teacher and the poor Thai teacher in the room, you realise that they are making an absolute FORTUNE.

And yet, no computers, not enough text books, no science labs, no sports fields, no air conditioning to be seen anywhere. So you see, the problem lies once again in the complete and utter inability for anyone to do the right thing, and just run a school for the goodness of education and a modest profit. It is business, pure and simple, and it WILL NOT CHANGE until the tax man wallops these thieves for exploiting the situation.

hahaha run a school,they couldnt run a bath if they had one,,,,coffee1.gif

Personally I think they should keep Education Minister Phongthep on.

He is the first to publicly admit that the system needs changing.

He said

"he says the ministry has drawn up some solutions to the problem such as changing students’ and teachers’ perspectives by urging them to think and analyze instead of memorizing known as “rote learning”.

Notice he said nothing about using a machine. Also said teachers learn how to think and analyze. Funny how this thread can turn into the same old same same when a new element is added.

My wife's daughter and family just moved here to Chiang Mai from Nonkong Si Tamarhet. Sorry about the spelling. At any rate her two grand daughters were here after school doing a little home work. Turns out the 9 year old is learning English to what degree of quality two days of learning does not allow me to comment on. She is also learning in school some of the Chinese alphabet. The wife said just a little bit.

The way the wheels of progress can turn ever so slow they still need a start and I do believe this public announcement by the Minister of Education is a start.

unfortunatly dolly,he was compelled to open his mouth,because his department was/is under the spotlight otherwise nothing not a sausage im afraid,,,there is no will to educate the masses here,it would be a disaster,for whoever is running (DOWN) this beautiful country,,,what a depressing post i just did,,,,,,sad.png

The interesting aspect of all of these private, or semi-private fee paying English programs is that they are not classed for VAT or taxes because they are supposed to benefit education. The ridiculous thing, is when you do the rudimentary mathematics on the amount of kids per class, and the estimated wages of your back packer unqualified English teacher and the poor Thai teacher in the room, you realise that they are making an absolute FORTUNE.

And yet, no computers, not enough text books, no science labs, no sports fields, no air conditioning to be seen anywhere. So you see, the problem lies once again in the complete and utter inability for anyone to do the right thing, and just run a school for the goodness of education and a modest profit. It is business, pure and simple, and it WILL NOT CHANGE until the tax man wallops these thieves for exploiting the situation.

Assuming the tax man doesn't own the school of course.

Good to see a minister admitting there are problems. Not sure if anything will change but it makes a change to have something to praise.