Bangkok Bank's Simple Solution

Yesterday I successfully booked an international flight on line. Today I wanted to book connecting flights to and from Bangkok, one with Air Asia and the other with Nok. First Nok knocks me back and refers me to my bank, Bangkok. So I take the line of least resistance there and arrange to pay at 711. Then I labor through Air Asia's rigmarole, the world's most unfriendly site, only to knocked back again. Check account - money there so I ring Bangkok Bank. Three times I ring because each time I am disconnected. The people on the other end of the line seem to have no idea why the card wouldn't work and each time when I questioned further the line went dead. I was friendly during the entire time, all I wanted was the problem resolved. All up, including a lot of waiting, I was on the phone for over an hour. Tomorrow I will have to go to the bank in person and see if they can sought it out. I have to go anyway as the managed to put my landlords address on my account instead of mine. And I will not be very happy if I miss the seats with the extra leg room that I had tried to book.

Bangkok Bank's simple solution seems to be 'if you don't know the answer just hang up'.

I think the problem (with your cards) is that Bangkok bank have a secondary verification system they will enforce for certain online transactions. You set this up with a password on their website or at a branch of the bank (preferably your own branch). This is what happened to me a few years ago with booking a flight with Nok.

As to how they treat you on the phone......................blink.png

No real answer to that, unless it is a language issue and their inability to explain their system in English. Apologies if you do speak Thai, it was not meant to be a barb if you don't.

• Like 1

Sounds like a reasonable way to do it ..... if they don't know what they are talking about or can't answer my question I don't want to talk to them either so I would be glad they hung up instead of leaving me on hold like some places would waiting for me to hang up.

The solution to your problem in the future is to get the manager of your branch's personal phone number which you can get by asking for their card.

• Like 1

The solution to your problem in the future is to get the manager of your branch's personal phone number which you can get by asking for their card.

Not a bad idea. I will try and get it tomorrow.

Just as an FYI, you can go to 7-11 to book AND pay for your tickets. Just go in with the flight number, date, price and all of that. They charge 100b or so for the ticket. I've had to do this because I had the exact same problem with BKK Bank and no one could tell me how to fix it. Now I just run to 7-11 and wrap it up. Note, you sometimes have to push them to make them understand that you are booking a new ticket and not trying to pay for one you reserved online.

Just as an FYI, you can go to 7-11 to book AND pay for your tickets. Just go in with the flight number, date, price and all of that. They charge 100b or so for the ticket. I've had to do this because I had the exact same problem with BKK Bank and no one could tell me how to fix it. Now I just run to 7-11 and wrap it up. Note, you sometimes have to push them to make them understand that you are booking a new ticket and not trying to pay for one you reserved online.

I have done that with Nok but I don't think Air Asia allows it.

The solution is to have another card with another account and stop making problem ? In Thailand think like a Thai and forget your western way of resolving problems, nobody cares here !!!

Actually the Thai way is to make as little problem as possible to solve things , the western way is to try and get your way by making a large problem out of a little problem.

But my suggestion was to have the Bankers phone number for next time to avoid a problem rather than to have to solve one , not an account number , the bankers business card and personal cell number.

• Like 1

I was more interested in how he got extra leg room on Air Asia and Nok Air.

The only time I ever got extra leg room was on Air Asia when I sat in the front row by the door and they did not have a wall there.

At Air Asia, just pay for it. 99% of people are too stingy for a few Baht, so these seats are often free.

I was more interested in how he got extra leg room on Air Asia and Nok Air.

The only time I ever got extra leg room was on Air Asia when I sat in the front row by the door and they did not have a wall there.

At Air Asia, just pay for it. 99% of people are too stingy for a few Baht, so these seats are often free.

I think it cost me an extra 375 baht for the seat with the leg room on the flight to Bangkok - worth every satang. On Nok Air I just selected a seat online on the emergency exit at no extra cost.

The solution is to have another card with another account and stop making problem ? In Thailand think like a Thai and forget your western way of resolving problems, nobody cares here !!!

Actually the Thai way is to make as little problem as possible to solve things , the western way is to try and get your way by making a large problem out of a little problem.

But my suggestion was to have the Bankers phone number for next time to avoid a problem rather than to have to solve one , not an account number , the bankers business card and personal cell number.

"Actually the Thai way is to make as little problem as possible to solve things , the western way is to try and get your way by making a large problem out of a little problem."

That's the main point of Thai Visa message boards, to help with that special magic of mountains from molehills (if you don't know what you're doing, blame it on a Thai)

post-145917-0-58602000-1372210337_thumb.

solution never use or have any thailand credit or debit cards , american credit cards best , singapore next - there is no thai way or western way -go with the company that provides superior customer service. that way incompetent companies dont survive and grow- simple

• Like 2

Credit cars function perfectly here. I guess the OP's issue is that he is trying to book a flight with a... Debit card!

Might be done, but far more complicated than with credit card.

Not the problem. I had already booked the international flights with the card, It just became recalcitrant when I tried to book the internal flights.

The main issue was that there was a problem with the card and and that when Bangkok Bank employees, on three occasions, did not understand or know how to deal with the problem they hung up the phone.

The problem has since been resolved by visiting the bank but my wife and I are now not sitting together on one leg of the flight.

Yes this is an option, same as visiting one of the few Nok or AirAsia sales offices.

But the downside is that you cannot get flight insurance using this payment method.

Flight insurance (not the greatest coverage but better than nothing, of course this is personal choice, but for me it's compulsory), must be processed as part of a full online booking and payment online using a card.

Why, because Nok and AirAsia want to offer insurance but they don't want the admin. work in settling payments etc., with the actual insurance company (budget operators don't want any activity which even slightly increases their operating / admin. costs).

When you book online and pay online with NOK (and with travel insurance clicked to confirm) there are actually two card transactions:

1). Online card payment direct to Nok or AirAsia.

Followed instantly by:

2). Online card payment direct to the insurance company.

I don't know for a fact, but I wonder whether AirAsia use the same card processing method.

Edited by scorecard

The Thai way is to just fugetaboutit, going to cause a hiso to lose face.

Western way is to just to get the problem solved. Vendor should be grateful & rework sales channel, but won't.

• Like 1

solution never use or have any thailand credit or debit cards , american credit cards best , singapore next - there is no thai way or western way -go with the company that provides superior customer service. that way incompetent companies dont survive and grow- simple

Solution is never come to Thailand, just as simple as it can be.

About problem - I think topic starter just not enroll his card in 3D Secure system, which is req. nowadays by almost all airlines. This is free of charge and can be done in 5 minutes from Bangkok Bank website.

Saan, you just need to enroll your card in Verified By VISA / MasterCard Secure Code. This can be done from BBL Website in less than 5 minutes. After this, when you make payment, you will be redirected to bank webpage and then request temporary code, which will be send to your registered with bank mobile number, and payment will be completed. I don't know why bank stuff not tell you this, and I think you communicate with them in English language, sometimes banks personnel have a trouble to comminicate in English, this is true...

Just enroll now, here is direct link

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/BualuangiPay/Pages/default.aspx

Regards,

• Like 1

The Thai way is to just fugetaboutit, going to cause a hiso to lose face.

Western way is to just to get the problem solved. Vendor should be grateful & rework sales channel, but won't.

I guess I would agree with that

I have an account with BKK Bank and use the debit card to buy plane tickets. So far, I have had no problem. Perhaps your difficulty- if you were trying to use a debit card to pay for the ticket- is that you purchased several plane tickets and exceeded your daily limit in which case the card will automatically be rejected. In my case, I can go online and change the daily limit for my ATM card if I want to book a flight to the US then come back the next day and reduce it so that if I ever lost the card it would not allow someone to clean out my account.

Don't know if this is applicable to your situation or not but thought I would post it for what it's worth.

Edited by movsrus

I have an account with BKK Bank and use the debit card to buy plane tickets. So far, I have had no problem. Perhaps your difficulty- if you were trying to use a debit card to pay for the ticket- is that you purchased several plane tickets and exceeded your daily limit in which case the card will automatically be rejected. In my case, I can go online and change the daily limit for my ATM card if I want to book a flight to the US then come back the next day and reduce it so that if I ever lost the card it would not allow someone to clean out my account.

Don't know if this is applicable to your situation or not but thought I would post it for what it's worth.

Sounds plausible. I'll explore that. Thanks.

Get an SCB account, have always had much better customer service with them.

I do not agree, their customer service was about the worst I have ever encountered. Despite all the business I gave them when I first came to Thailand, they treated me like sh-t after I was with them for four years. I closed my account with them.

This is the same bank that a customer had 300,000 Baht disappear from his account, then refused to do anything about it. After about two years, a court forced them to pay out.