Australia - New PM?

Old Croc

Yeah, there was some bloody awesome music (regarding Oils). But a bloody shocker as a Minister, both of the attempts.

I am sure a tour will be a sell out.

QLD 14 - NSW 0 (not finished yet)

Remember back to the Amazing Pub shows in the 80's with great Aussie Rock. (& 70's somewhat)

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not being Australian I can understand this to a certain limited extent. I mean Rudd was the only ALP guy to win a general since almost Before Christ. Gillard's dog could have beat John Howard last time around, but Rudd always looks better to the voters than other ALP leaders. Kim Beasley kept getting better and better at it but never was anywhere near good enough.

I of course can't say how this might affect the outcome, but almost every post here says it would not alter what people see as an inevitable Conservatie-Liberal win coming up. This runs counter to electoral experiences in UK and Australia where the first time incumbent party usually gets ten to 12 years - that's in office, not jail. smile.png

There's the mining tax and all of that. But can't Rudd stick Gillard with that and other Labor (Labour) policies and laws cooked up on her watch?

Getting booted out after one term is, like, drastic.

• Like 1

What does this mean for non Australians?

it means if you can suggest someone better to lead this country, please send them our way. Aussies will love Kevin coming back, the guy that was booted is back. Until September anyway.
  • Like 1

Not being Australian I can understand this to a certain limited extent. I mean Rudd was the only ALP guy to win a general since almost Before Christ. Gillard's dog could have beat John Howard last time around, but Rudd always looks better to the voters than other ALP leaders. Kim Beasley kept getting better and better at it but never was anywhere near good enough.

I of course can't say how this might affect the outcome, but almost every post here says it would not alter what people see as an inevitable Conservatie-Liberal win coming up. This runs counter to electoral experiences in UK and Australia where the first time incumbent party usually gets ten to 12 years - that's in office, not jail. smile.png

There's the mining tax and all of that. But can't Rudd stick Gillard with that and other Labor (Labour) policies and laws cooked up on her watch?

Actually our 1st female P.M didn't even last a term, she never even won an election, it was hung until she offered a few lamingtons to the independents

Yeah, there was some bloody awesome music (regarding Oils). But a bloody shocker as a Minister, both of the attempts.

I am sure a tour will be a sell out.

QLD 14 - NSW 0 (not finished yet)

Remember back to the Amazing Pub shows in the 80's with great Aussie Rock. (& 70's somewhat)

Saw the Rt Hon Peter Garrett lead the oils in Townsville in the mid/late 80's when I was in the Army up there

it means if you can suggest someone better to lead this country, please send them our way. Aussies will love Kevin coming back, the guy that was booted is back. Until September anyway.

If Rudd should perform magic and win in September, who will replace him after he gets booted out again? No offense intended to our friendly neighbor to the North, Canada, but Australian politics is beginning to look like the recent instability of Canadian politics and elections. I mean, some time back the whole of Canada's Conservative party was wiped out on one polling day, save for two of 'em. I could be wrong of course about Australian instability. (I'd luv to see the Republican party in the US obliterated on one election day - I mean the whole of it, not just Mitt Romney.)

Actually our 1st female P.M didn't even last a term, she never even won an election, it was hung until she offered a few lamingtons to the independents

Yes, I recall that. I know a lot of Aussies here in the former LOS. She hasn't shown she can win actual voters (outside her own constituency, which must be a whopper of a constituency, sort of like Texas in reverse). Even ALP types here say Gillard is as interesting as watching the grass grow. Yeah, I recall some of her maneuvers, to include some unsavory characters she brought over to help shore up her wafer thin margin in the House. One could see she wasn't likely to win, which explains today's radical developments. I should expect Rudd to show Abbot up as the bumpkin he is, which should help Rudd a lot with voters, ne c'est pas?

Edited by Publicus

If Rudd should perform magic and win in September, who will replace him after he gets booted out again? No offense intended to our friendly neighbor to the North, Canada, but Australian politics is beginning to look like the recent instability of Canadian politics and elections. I mean, some time back the whole of Canada's Conservative party was wiped out on one polling day, save for two of 'em. I could be wrong of course about Australian instability. (I'd luv to see the Republican party in the US obliterated on one election day - I mean the whole of it, not just Mitt Romney.)

This is what our politicians are better at. Well Peter only been out of his real job for 3 yrs so he won't have a problem getting another gig like this. He is a good muso but a terrible politician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=x3Zu6bx_Yys

In OZ we have no hope. Kevin is ADD or works as though he has taken too much Ritalin. Julia could not sell herself on a street corner if her life depened on it. And Tony should have gone into the preisthood when he had the chance.

What about Mr T; he hasn't got a gig at the moment?

Kevin should have just smarted over the defeat with Julia and then put someone else in as the Leader. His comeback smells a little like a coup. Julia now has to resign and go and live back with her hairdresser boyfriend.

I just want to know where do I put my deck chairw00t.gifwink.png

And now Thailand can respectfully now pass on the baton to Australia...

Now all the Liberal party needs to do, is do the same with Abbott and return Turnball as their rightful leader and things will be back to normal...

Turnbull was bullyed at school and can't take the cat calls in Parliment. But yes he would be better than Tony.

• Like 1

In OZ we have no hope. Kevin is ADD or works as though he has taken too much Ritalin. Julia could not sell herself on a street corner if her life depened on it. And Tony should have gone into the preisthood when he had the chance.

What about Mr T; he hasn't got a gig at the moment?

Kevin should have just smarted over the defeat with Julia and then put someone else in as the Leader. His comeback smells a little like a coup. Julia now has to resign and go and live back with her hairdresser boyfriend.

I just want to know where do I put my deck chairw00t.gifwink.png

Next to mine Chris, then we can swap jokes....clap2.gifcheesy.gif

This is what our politicians are better at. Well Peter only been out of his real job for 3 yrs so he won't have a problem getting another gig like this. He is a good muso but a terrible politician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=x3Zu6bx_Yys

but he cannot play the environment tune any more with his music.

• Like 1

A slight movement in the AUD on the news.

The Man Who Just Toppled Australia's Prime Minister Declared That The Chinese-Driven Commodity Boom Is Over

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/kevin-rudd-chinese-commodity-boom-over-2013-6#ixzz2XLVEDkAu

Yes, this is more the issue, I should think. The next PM will have serious economic changes to deal with. Trade with the sinking CCP economy of the PRC contributes 10% of Aussie GDP. Getting what's called a "soft landing" for the Aussie economy will require finesse. Speaking from afar, Tony Abbot doesn't strike me as the man for this kind of job. Rudd knows more about the CCP-PRC than perhaps any political leader in Australia, is fluent in Mandarin. How many leaders of countries, or FMs, are fluent in Mandarin?

The fact Rudd himself initiated the topic for national attention is, I would say, a statement to Aussie voters that he's their guy, Abbot by comparison, but really in contrast, isn't.

Kevin Rudd recently changed his views on same-sex marriage.

I hope that he introduces in his short tenure as PM a conscience vote on same-sex marriage because Abbott will keep Australia in the dark ages and deny equality for gays and lesbians.

Given that Thursday and Friday are the last 'sitting' days before the Parliament closes for the Election, it's highly unlikely that a Bill, of the nature that you describe above, would or could be drafted and introduced in time.

Remember that it has to pass both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Wonder what the $ cost to us tax payers is for this vote?

Zero Dollar cost as it was held in the Labor's Caucus Room in Parliament House.

The real cost was a shortening of the TV pre-game commentary into the State of Origin Game ... dry.png

If anyone's interested, the State of Origin Thread is over in the Sports Forum ... here

Well Howard Satler in Perth must be smiling.

She caused him big problems when she appeared on his radio show on 6PR a week ago.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/howard-sattler-no-stranger-to-controversy/story-fnhocxo3-1226663985867

He lost his job and now she's in the same boat

If you ask me the woman has a problem thinking men are out to get her.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/14/julia-gillard-women-sattler-ambush

Australia is a great country and it needs strong leadership. Who remembers Bob Hawk bursting in to tears?

Edited by Jay Sata
  • Like 1

Kevin Rudd recently changed his views on same-sex marriage.

I hope that he introduces in his short tenure as PM a conscience vote on same-sex marriage because Abbott will keep Australia in the dark ages and deny equality for gays and lesbians.

Given that Thursday and Friday are the last 'sitting' days before the Parliament closes for the Election, it's highly unlikely that a Bill, of the nature that you describe above, would or could be drafted and introduced in time.

Remember that it has to pass both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

Wonder what the $ cost to us tax payers is for this vote?

Zero Dollar cost as it was held in the Labor's Caucus Room in Parliament House.

The real cost was a shortening of the TV pre-game commentary into the State of Origin Game ... dry.png

If anyone's interested, the State of Origin Thread is over in the Sports Forum ... here

The state of origin is a private game between two states and probably only of interest to those two, whereas the Rudd/Gillard spat effects the whole country (seven states and territories) so that is why it probably got priority over a local rugby game.

^^ Thanks for that information ...

Ch9 who was doing the SofO broadcast said that they would be going to the Football coverage at the scheduled time of 7.30 and maintain their Political coverage on their sister 2nd digital channel. they made this statement sometime around 7.15

They later, sadly, changed their mind.

Imagine instead StKilda was playing in the Grand Final and the TV network were busy broadcasting political events instead of the 30 mins before kick-off.

Personally, I was watching the political coverage on the ABC channel, as they give a far higher insight into the debate then a commercial station ... flicking back to see when the football coverage was starting.

Well Howard Satler in Perth must be smiling.

She caused him big problems when she appeared on his radio show on 6PR a week ago.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/howard-sattler-no-stranger-to-controversy/story-fnhocxo3-1226663985867

He lost his job and now she's in the same boat

Howard Satler caused himself his own problems for being a d!ck on radio in front of a sitting Prime Minister and asking her about disgusting rumour and innuendo about her partner, Tim Matheson. Saying that was somehow her fault is beyond common logic.

But I guess it is comments like yours - which blame her for the faults of others - is probably why she and others like myself think she had a problem with men.

• Like 1

Ch9 who was doing the SofO broadcast said that they would be going to the Football coverage at the scheduled time of 7.30 and maintain their Political coverage on their sister 2nd digital channel. they made this statement sometime around 7.15

Imagine instead StKilda was playing in the Grand Final and the TV network were busy broadcasting political events instead of the 30 mins before kick-off.

Personally, I was watching the political coverage on the ABC channel, as they give a far higher insight into the debate then a commercial station ... flicking back to see when the football coverage was starting.

I could not imagine St Kilda playing in the Grand Final this year laugh.png

• Like 1

Yes I would be a little annoyed and can understand the feelings of those in QLD and NSW. Rugby actually puts me to sleep and I have never watched a game (Victorian) even tho I lived in Qld for a number of years. Normally surf the channels for something else. The Rugby supporters up north have my condolences. As for the saints playing in a grand final yes I can only imagine and it's called the Bounce not a kick offthumbsup.gif (just teasing)

I could not imagine St Kilda playing in the Grand Final this year laugh.png

I think you will get better odds on the saints than you would on Labour winning in September

• Like 2

POLITICS
Reprise for Rudd as Australia's Labour ditches Gillard

30209171-01_big.jpg
Julia Gillard

SYDNEY: -- A three-year power struggle inside Australia's ruling party ended Wednesday with serial challenger Kevin Rudd finally ripping the Labor leadership off Julia Gillard.

Rudd was the only challenger in a secret ballot called by Gillard for the once-and-for-all showdown, and won it by 57-45 votes.

The nation’s first female prime minister, who deposed Rudd before his first term as prime minister was finished in 2010, said she would not contest her seat at a parliamentary election scheduled for September 14.

Rudd warned colleagues that "we’re on course for a catastrophic defeat unless there’s change" and that his return could make Labor competitive against the conservatives under opposition Liberal Party leader Tony Abbott.

Opinion polling this week predicted a rout in September, with Labor set to lose half its 71 seats in the 150-member House of Representatives, including nine held by ministers.

Rudd inherits not only a deeply divided party but a minority government that might not have the numbers to stay in office.

Rudd, 55, might be obliged to test his support on the floor of the house because two independents that Gillard leaned on for support have said they might not work with him.

The government lacks an overall majority and survives with the support of five of the seven independent members.

If he is endorsed as prime minister, Rudd could bring forward the parliamentary election from September 14 to August 3, the earliest possible date, to capitalise on the honeymoon period that voters often accord a new party leader.

Opposition Liberal leader Tony Abbott, speaking before the outcome of the caucus ballot, demanded an election on August 3.

"What the Australian people want is their chance to choose the government and to choose the prime minister," he said. "The only way they’ll get that is if there’s an election."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-27