Australia - New PM?

Old Croc

Ed Husic attacked on Facebook over Koran

LABOR MP Ed Husic says he is not going to "jump because of harsh words in dark corners" after a spate of racial abuse was levelled at him online.

Earlier Tony Abbott appeared to not condemn the comments on Mr Husic's page.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national-news/ed-husic-attacked-on-facebook-over-koran/story-fncynjr2-1226673070543#ixzz2XriTtASF

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't know why he didn't just take the Affirmation of Allegiance which doesn't involve the use of any holy book.

That's what this little atheist did many years ago!

(Unfortunately you still can't get away from the Queen and her local representative.)

The Oath of Allegiance reads as follows:

I, A.B., do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Her heirs and successors according to law. SO HELP ME GOD!

The Affirmation of Allegiance reads as follows:

I, A.B., do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Her heirs and successors according to law.

As per the schedule in the Constitution, the words "Her" and "Queen Victoria" are substituted as required with the pronoun and name of the reigning monarch.

Therein is the problem as a Muslim they are forbidden to swear or affirm their allegiance to anyone but Allah. So the constitution needs to be change to facilitate Muslims.

Don't know why he didn't just take the Affirmation of Allegiance which doesn't involve the use of any holy book.

(Unfortunately you still can't get away from the Queen and her local representative.)

I, A.B., do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Her heirs and successors according to law. SO HELP ME GOD!

I, A.B., do solemnly and sincerely affirm and declare that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Victoria, Her heirs and successors according to law.

As per the schedule in the Constitution, the words "Her" and "Queen Victoria" are substituted as required with the pronoun and name of the reigning monarch.

Therein is the problem as a Muslim they are forbidden to swear or affirm their allegiance to anyone but Allah. So the constitution needs to be change to facilitate Muslims.

If he can't affirm his allegiance to Australia (ie the Queen of Australia) what's he doing at Government house with her representative? How can he even become a Minister, or for that matter, a member of parliament?

I am curious as to how he was sworn in. Muslims can only swear their allegiance to Allah and swearing to a person or country is forbidden. Ed Husic did not swear to serve the office, country and Queen as the others were required to do. He swore to serve allah The constitution states that he must swear to serve Queen and country to hold the office and until the constitution is changed how can he hold the position. Also for a position to be recognised in Islam such a ceremony must be conducted by an Islamic Cleric and not a non believer. So on one side he has not taken the oath as per the constitution and on the other side he has not taken an oath as per Islam.

New MP is first in Australia to be sworn in with Koran ...

711431-ed-husic.jpg

Ed Husic becomes first Muslim frontbencher

AMONG the oaths, photographs and backslapping at Labor's latest ministerial swearing-in ceremony, a cultural milestone was passed for Australia's parliament.

Ed Husic, named parliament secretary to the Prime Minister and for broadband, became the first Muslim sworn on to a federal government frontbench.

A key supporter of Kevin Rudd, Mr Husic was elevated to the senior role at the expense of Andrew Leigh, who lost the role in the ministry reshuffle.

The milestone was acknowledged by Governor-General Quentin Bryce as she swore in Mr Husic and 24 of his Labor colleagues at a ceremony in Canberra.

“This is a wonderful day for multiculturalism, and everything it stands for in our country,” Ms Bryce told Mr Husic, to roars of “Hear Hear!” from his Labor colleagues.

I have mixed feeling about this - just wondering what you guys feel about this.

Is Australia too open?

Or should we open up more?

No I am not Muslim bashing or against Muslims holding office.

This has caused a stink in Australia.

'Shame, shame, shame': Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for taking oath on Koran

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/political-news/shame-shame-shame-australias-first-muslim-frontbencher-abused-for-taking-oath-on-koran-20130702-2p8l2.html#ixzz2Xra4npJ4

This is an ugly manifestation of Australian bigotry and demonstrates ignorance of Australian law. It is not a requirement to swear an allegiance to the Queen during the Oath of Office swearing-in ceremony. A very recent example is Rudd who declined to swear allegiance to the Queen. By the way do you have the text for the oath he took? Also the oath of citizenship is below, you do not have to include the words "under God" and is taken by anyone no matter their religion & rightly so.

From this time forward, under God,

I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people,

whose democratic beliefs I share,

whose rights and liberties I respect, and

whose laws I will uphold and obey.

If he can't affirm his allegiance to Australia (ie the Queen of Australia) what's he doing at Government house with her representative? How can he even become a Minister, or for that matter, a member of parliament?

Get your facts straight - ask Rudd who declined to swear allegiance to the Queen during his swearing-in ceremony a few days ago; it is not a requirement

Edited by simple1

Get your facts straight - ask Rudd who declined to swear allegiance to the Queen during his swearing-in ceremony a few days ago; it is not a requirement

They were questions, not facts Simple one.

So if it is not required to swear an oath nor affirm allegiance why the ceremony with the queens representative?

They could just courier the documents to her for signature.

• Like 1

Ministers can choose if they want to swear an oath which includes mention of the queen or now. Given that the ALP doesn't have many, if any, royalists in their ranks they swear an oath to Australia. Watch the 730 report from Thursday and you'll see Rudd and Albanese do exactly that. My guess all ALP Ministers would use the same version.

The version which includes mention of the queen will be saved for the forelock tugging members of the coalition when they are next in government.

Thanks. Winning elections is usually about internal politics. Immigrants and refugees are pretty low on the totem pole.

Boat people are a very hot topic in Australia. They represent a very small percentage of illegal immigrants but they are very costly for the Australian Government.

The Australian people are very divided about the boat people and this will be a highly contentious issue during the election run up.

Howard won an election on the 'boat people overboard' affair.

Im not much a fan of any religion and neither am I a fan of allegiance to the Queen. Whether Husic swears in a bible or Koran, what is the difference? It is just a prop and really he could swear on the Yellow Pages for all the relevance it has to most people in Australia these days.

Muslims in wider Australian society will become an issue when the total population of people who follow Islam reaches 10% (choose a figure) and if those people wish to push their religious beliefs. This would happen with any religion. Whether this is good bad can only be judged when it happens.

Is it likely a lot of Muslims in second and third generations will be more like the current crop of mainstream Austtalian Christians? ie; relatively apathetic regarding their faith and secular in thinking?

I would think this is more likely. Husic himself is hardly a fanatic for the cause of islam

• Like 2

Man ... I got to get me some Telstra Shares ...

Kevin Rudd racks up $29,676 phone bill in six months

845618-7df7f364-e24d-11e2-b8bc-43c21c129

Kevin Rudd racked up a massive $29,676 phone bill in just six months as a backbencher - dwarfing every Government minister as he worked the phones.

In fairness ... Opposition Leader Tony Abbott also rung up a hefty phone bill - of $33,523 - for the six months to December 31 2012 (but he is the opposition leader)

HERE

BTW, a $29,676 phone bill in 6 months - that's almost $5,000 a month!!! ... haven't these guys heard of Phone Plans.

Would love to see numbers man Bill Shorten's Bill.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

Thanks. Winning elections is usually about internal politics. Immigrants and refugees are pretty low on the totem pole.

Boat people are a very hot topic in Australia. They represent a very small percentage of illegal immigrants but they are very costly for the Australian Government.

The Australian people are very divided about the boat people and this will be a highly contentious issue during the election run up.

Howard did not win an election on the'boat people overboard' affair, but on government handouts to the have's, during a period of Australia being in a healthy economic situation, (much to the disgust of the then treasurer,Peter Costello who thought these handouts was fiscally irresponsible).

As another poster said, internal politics is what wins elections. 'The boat people overboard' affair was a grubby little bit of politics used by both sides of politics and also used by the media to sell newspapers.

Howard did not win an election on the'boat people overboard' affair, but on government handouts to the have's, during a period of Australia being in a healthy economic situation, (much to the disgust of the then treasurer,Peter Costello who thought these handouts was fiscally irresponsible).

As another poster said, internal politics is what wins elections. 'The boat people overboard' affair was a grubby little bit of politics used by both sides of politics and also used by the media to sell newspapers.

Huh? Where you around for that election? At the time it was widely believed that the children overboard claims (later revealed as false) tipped certain sections of the public in favour of Howard and contributed to them winning the election.

• Like 2

Since this topic has more steam then mine down in the Pub Forum ... crying.gif

... we'll carry on, for a while here.

Australian Electoral Commission approves WikiLeaks Party registration

The Australian Electoral Commission has approved the registration application for the WikiLeaks Party.

The approval process means the party can be listed on the ballot paper for this year's federal election.

The founder of the whistleblowing website, Julian Assange, has previously indicated he will run for the Senate, despite being holed up in Ecuador's embassy in London.

WikiLeaks says if Mr Assange is elected but unable to return to Australia, another candidate could fill his spot.

The commission has also approved crossbench Senator Nick Xenophon's party, along with the Voluntary Euthanasia Party.

Here

Edited by David48

Just in case you didn't know.

This Federal Election there will be a Constitutional Question needing a reply by your good selves.

There will be a referendum to recognise local government in the constitution.

The question has been put to voters twice before, in 1974 and 1988, but both times it was rejected.

Haven't given it much thought (none at all, actually), but on the top of it I don't see the point - any ideas on why it should, David?

... and neither have I.

And that's the sad bit.

The Federal Government awarded the "Yes' case $10 million but the "No" case only received $500,000.

The Government argued this was done on the basis of how many MPs voted for the referendum bill in the Lower House.

I usually only watch the ABC or SBS (sports excluded) ... and I have seen naught on the subject.

Then, when the hit-the-fan.gif with the change of leadership and Prime Ministership ... it's not getting any airtime.

Haven't given it much thought (none at all, actually), but on the top of it I don't see the point - any ideas on why it should, David?

... and neither have I.

And that's the sad bit.

The Federal Government awarded the "Yes' case $10 million but the "No" case only received $500,000.

The Government argued this was done on the basis of how many MPs voted for the referendum bill in the Lower House.

I usually only watch the ABC or SBS (sports excluded) ... and I have seen naught on the subject.

Then, when the hit-the-fan.gif with the change of leadership and Prime Ministership ... it's not getting any airtime.

It seems like they're trying to slide it in - odd that - if it has been rejected twice why bother again without informing the electorate about the details . . . (Don't get SBS nor ABC here - well, ABC Int'l)

... and neither have I.

And that's the sad bit.

Because Kevin will not get any more votes for pushing the referendum. He is the ultimate vote winning politician. He is so aware of cameras and smiles when proprietorially to do so. He was the one that leaked all the damaging material in the 2010 election. It is Kevin's way or no way

• Like 1

... and neither have I.

And that's the sad bit.

It seems like they're trying to slide it in - odd that - if it has been rejected twice why bother again without informing the electorate about the details . . . (Don't get SBS nor ABC here - well, ABC Int'l)

Interesting background: On September 7, 2010, the government entered into an agreement with independent members Tony Windsor and Rob Oakeshott whereby those two independent members undertook to support the government in return for certain assurances including a commitment that the government would work towards achieving constitutional recognition for local government.

http://www.quadrant.org.au/magazine/issue/2012/4/why-local-government-should-not-be-recognised-in-the-constitution

Huh? Where you around for that election? At the time it was widely believed that the children overboard claims (later revealed as false) tipped certain sections of the public in favour of Howard and contributed to them winning the election.

Firstly I erred in my first paragraph, the reference i made was in relation to the 2004 election not the 2001 election.

Secondly this election was won in relation to the Tampa crisis and 9/11 crisis.

politicsir.cass.anu.edu.au/staff/mcallister/pubs/Border

Former Liberal Prime Minister Malcom Fraser throws support behind Greens Senator

Former Liberal Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser says he is backing Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young in her big to be re-elected to the Senate in the upcoming federal elections.

Mr Fraser parted ways with his former party in 2009 on the basis that he believed it had become too conservative.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/former-liberal-prime-minister-malcom-fraser-throws-support-behind-greens-senator/20130703-2pawm.html

If there is one person I pray doesn't get re-elected it's Sarah Hanson-Young...

Also, for a good laugh, tune into ABC's Q&A program tomorrow night live from Jakarta. Also next Monday's episode will have Malcom Turnball and DPM Albo on as well...

Forgot how good that show is having just caught up on Mondays episode with Sophie Mirabella vs Tanya Plibersek... Good way to start the morning...

• Like 1

If there is one person I pray doesn't get re-elected it's Sarah Hanson-Young...

Also, for a good laugh, tune into ABC's Q&A program tomorrow night live from Jakarta. Also next Monday's episode will have Malcom Turnball and DPM Albo on as well...

Forgot how good that show is having just caught up on Mondays episode with Sophie Mirabella vs Tanya Plibersek... Good way to start the morning...

"If there is one person I pray doesn't get re-elected it's Sarah Hanson-Young..." AMEN to that brother.

Theres not many things I mute on the TV ... heck, I can even tolerate Parliamentary Question Time ... but when she speaks up, I volume down to zero. OH ... the Funeral/Insurance ads and the Amazon 'Ezy-Off Bam' cleaning products get the same treatment ... but I digress.

Sophie Mirabella ... no-one's favourite politician.

I'll buy you a beer for that lot ... drunk.gif