Break The Law - If You Want To Learn To Drive

Pormax

Here in Thailand there is no such thing as a provisional driving licence so if you want to learn to drive you have no option than to break the law.

My wife wanted to learn to but we had great difficulty in finding a 'qualified'. driving instructor in our area.

Eventually found one who advertised on a poster. He does have a car with dual controls (though no 'L' plates or notifications on the car that this vehicle is used to teach people to drive) One has to doubt his experience or qualifications.

He offered 4 times 3 hour consecutive daily lessons followed immediately on the 5th day by the test for the licence for 3,900B.

She has finished the 12 hour lessons but is no way near enough competent or safe to drive alone on the roads. So now I have taken on the task to give her many more hours experience on the road before she goes for her test.

The first thing I noticed that she was never taught proper positioning in the road at junctions or when turning into another road often cutting right across the other lane. Never taught her that she should maintain proper control when turning by not crossing over her hands. Has never done a 3 point turn, a 'U' turn or shown how to reverse at a junction. Has no idea about the necessity of the use of the mirrors. Her positioning in the road is awful, driving too far to the right and her speed is very erratic, never constant, even on a clear straight road. Has never driven in the main towns/cities with heavy traffic. Has never driven at night which we who drive, know that with oncoming headlights is a little more tricky. Has never been around a roundabout (not that there are many in Thailand). In fact after 12hours of teaching I would say she is less than 50% competent in her driving.

Is it any wonder that Thai drivers are so bad with no provision for proper instruction, no decent standard of driving competency test before being given a licence.

Meanwhile I have to break the law by taking her out on the roads without a provisional licence as would be mandatory in my home country.

I can not put 'L' plates on my car when she goes out with me and drives the car as this would only draw attention to us and the police know that learner drivers have no licence and therfore it would be a 400B fine every time we are stopped.

Surly this is not difficult to address by the government which would increase road safety.

OK rant over.

I'm sure in that instructors mind your wife can now drive perfectly well.

You have to remember something here. You will only get around 80% of a job done properly before its declared finished. That goes for just about everything.

• Like 2

You have to remember something here. You will only get around 80% of a job done properly before its declared finished. That goes for just about everything.

Very true, Bung.

80% I can put up with but when it comes down to the safety of other road users less than 50% competency is just not acceptable.

Lives are at risk and where as we expect and accept lower standards in many ways here in Thailand this problem is easy to address and for the sake of all that travel or even walk on the roads this should be a priority to address.

But again my main point is that you have to break the law if you want to learn to drive. This is so wrong.

Why are you shouting in your headline Pormax, there is no need and it is offensive to others.

Ok take your point, an error on my part, but then I thought this was an important subject to voice rather than most of the drivel I see on TV.

Thai driving standards are some of the worlds worst but they're not all bad. As for my Mrs, Some say she uses uses Mobil 1 as nam blah, all I know is she's not the Stig, but she is the Stig's Thai Cousin.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

To expand this a bit, does anyone know where, or how, to obtain a driving instruction manual for the guidance of the instructor and the education of the would-be driver. I'm in a similar situation, and am trying to pluck up the courage to start teaching my wife to drive.She's a quite good and cautious m/c rider, but I anticipate grief and woe ahead when she decides she knows so much better than I do about driving just by having got herself behind the wheel. The mirrors, dear, are not for self-admiration or makeup application - especially when on the move.

She's quite good at instructing me how to drive!

Pormax actually you don't have to break the law at all the 3.900 bat course will help her get a license and then you can teach her while she has a license. Getting the license is what that 3.900 bt course is aimed at. The test does only mean going over a short course and do some special movements and done.

Its not really rocket science, get the license first then teach her more and you are insured too.

• Like 1

OP I am curious what the 3,900 baht for the test is for?

Some places you can "buy" the licence or at least pass the practical part (without actually doing it)for less than that?

Edit - just realised that must be the cost including the lessons......

Edited by topt

Very true, Bung.

80% I can put up with but when it comes down to the safety of other road users less than 50% competency is just not acceptable.

Lives are at risk and where as we expect and accept lower standards in many ways here in Thailand this problem is easy to address and for the sake of all that travel or even walk on the roads this should be a priority to address.

But again my main point is that you have to break the law if you want to learn to drive. This is so wrong.

relax smile.png

to drive safely in Thailand, you will anyways have to break the law when driving too. So... what's your point?

Edited by manarak

as high as that?? i'd have said lower, like 40%

• Like 1

"Meanwhile I have to break the law by taking her out on the roads without a provisional licence as would be mandatory in my home country."

I think you hit the nail on the head with this sentence...............wink.png

I don't believe it is mandatory here.

Pormax actually you don't have to break the law at all the 3.900 bat course will help her get a license and then you can teach her while she has a license. Getting the license is what that 3.900 bt course is aimed at. The test does only mean going over a short course and do some special movements and done.

Its not really rocket science, get the license first then teach her more and you are insured too.

I wish it was that easy.

After sitting in the car while she is driving there is no way (except for a bribe which may or may not be a part of the fee paid to the diving instructor) that she could pass the inadequate Thai driving test around what is basically a 5 minute go-cart course. Yes I have seen it as I did my motorcycle test in Pattaya which has a more difficult course than where we live.

Yes, of course if the licence through the instructor is manipulated then it would make it legal for her to drive on the road and for me to do some instructing. However once she has this piece of paper/card I feel she will consider herself competent to drive alone, and will want to take the car out by herself and then cause mayhem on the roads which could result in death or serious injury.

Which is the lesser of two evils?

I prefer her to be able to drive to a reasonable high standard then pass the test legitimatly even though she has to break the law until the test is passed.

I hope they don't change the system because someone can't drive a car around a couple of cones after 12 hours of instruction.

You want her to not get a license because you assume she can't pass the test not because she can't. She can, you just don't want her to even try because then it would render your issue moot.

People in other countries don't even have to drive around a few cones at all before being allowed to drive a car but just pass a written test.

Do you really expect a Thai to teach how to drive ? Are you new here ?

Get a farang instructor or forget it !

My teachers were all Thai and they taught me excellently. So your racial slur is really not warranted.

Rather, go to a reputable school such as http://safedriver.co.th/ . I learned driving with them.

All teachers were Thai, but I was really well trained there, among others in defensive driving. I believe it allowed me to cover 18.000 kms without an accident so far.

• Like 2

Do you really expect a Thai to teach how to drive ? Are you new here ?

Get a farang instructor or forget it !

My teachers were all Thai and they taught me excellently. So your racial slur is really not warranted.

Rather, go to a reputable school such as http://safedriver.co.th/ . I learned driving with them.

All teachers were Thai, but I was really well trained there, among others in defensive driving. I believe it allowed me to cover 18.000 kms without an accident so far.

I guess you now are a perfectly good driver also ! Go on ! You are so lucky :-)

I hope they don't change the system because someone can't drive a car around a couple of cones after 12 hours of instruction.

You want her to not get a license because you assume she can't pass the test not because she can't. She can, you just don't want her to even try because then it would render your issue moot.

People in other countries don't even have to drive around a few cones at all before being allowed to drive a car but just pass a written test.

A rather cynical opinion which is unfounded.

You don't know my wife, I do. I have seen her drive after the 12 hours of paid instruction. There is no way she could pass the (laughable) test unless a bribe came into the equation. But when she does pass the test after instruction from me there will be many more hours driving around with me by her side to get real traffic/road experience before she can take the car out alone.

With the extremely poor driving standards here in Thailand I would have thought all would be for a more strict test not just a quick fling on the go cart course with no traffic, no roundabouts, no traffic lights, no overtaking of stationary or moving vehicles etc. It would improve the chances of others staying alive.

I do want for her to pass the driving test and as you will see from my posts, I will do my best to teach her so that she is competent on the roads and hopefully not harm herself or others. Over the last 3 days she has had 6 hours instruction from me and still can't turn properly at a junction and straighten up without going over the other side of the road at least 20% of the time. Reversing is a nightmare but improving slowly.

To some learning to drive is easy, others not.

It will be of great benefit to me if she can drive the car by herself as then I won't be a glorified taxi diver to go here there and everywhere.

Finally I love my wife and therfore want her to be as safe as possible.

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/driver_s_license

Will show quite clearly there is no need at all to break the law to teach someone to drive. Section 57 covers this quite well.

Section 57

When practicing to drive a motor vehicle, the learner must be under the instruction of a driver who has had the license for that vehicle for at least 3 years.

During the driving lesson, no other person than the learner and the instructor may stay in the vehicle.

The instructor is responsible for any damage or accident during a lesson, unless it is proved that the learner refused to obey his instruction.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/wiki/doku.php/driver_s_license

Will show quite clearly there is no need at all to break the law to teach someone to drive. Section 57 covers this quite well.

Section 57

When practicing to drive a motor vehicle, the learner must be under the instruction of a driver who has had the license for that vehicle for at least 3 years.

During the driving lesson, no other person than the learner and the instructor may stay in the vehicle.

The instructor is responsible for any damage or accident during a lesson, unless it is proved that the learner refused to obey his instruction.

Thanks for the info Harry, will be useful if we get stopped, though I wonder if the Police know this or will conveniently forget when they see a farang and fine them anyway.

Meanwhile an update on the wife's driving skills.

General driving, very good, surpasses most Thai drivers skills. But absolutely hopeless at reversing, always turns the steeing column the wrong way. She cannot get it into her head that you turn the steering wheel the way you want the vehicle to go. Seems it will be a few hours of more practise before she will be able to reverse into a parking space as per the requirements of the test.

As many will know it is not easy trying to tell a family member what to do. She always think she is right.

No problem, I had little hair before, not much left to lose .

To expand this a bit, does anyone know where, or how, to obtain a driving instruction manual for the guidance of the instructor and the education of the would-be driver. I'm in a similar situation, and am trying to pluck up the courage to start teaching my wife to drive.She's a quite good and cautious m/c rider, but I anticipate grief and woe ahead when she decides she knows so much better than I do about driving just by having got herself behind the wheel. The mirrors, dear, are not for self-admiration or makeup application - especially when on the move.

She's quite good at instructing me how to drive!

In the interests of driving knowledge/awareness I would be only too pleased to email you a copy of the Thai Highway Code (Thai and English language versions).

However, as you are well aware, this would be a pointless exercise for both of us.

I am not sure how many Thais have actually read this royal sponsored document. I would venture to suggest that the number would be similar to the number of drivers who look right before entering the traffic flow.

With a little help from a mentor I've learned you can't change the world so don't even try. All you can do is just help a few others. There is no way any foreigner is going to change how Thais drive. If it is necessary that your wife or child needs to learn to drive properly then the only solution is to train them yourself. I wanted my drivers license when I was 16 (legal age in Canada) but my father would not allow me to drive alone until I was 18. He needed to know that I was capable far beyond what a driving school could teach me. So, dad put me through his own crazy testing course until he knew I could handle any emergency without freezing or panicking. I'm sure that has saved me many times since.

My 5 months of riding a motorbike in Thailand taught me you have to expect the unexpected if you want to survive. It has actually improved my awareness now that I'm back in Canada. If the OP can do that for his wife then he has done a big service to other drivers on the road. You always have to take responsibility for your own actions.

• Like 2

With a little help from a mentor I've learned you can't change the world so don't even try. All you can do is just help a few others. There is no way any foreigner is going to change how Thais drive. If it is necessary that your wife or child needs to learn to drive properly then the only solution is to train them yourself. I wanted my drivers license when I was 16 (legal age in Canada) but my father would not allow me to drive alone until I was 18. He needed to know that I was capable far beyond what a driving school could teach me. So, dad put me through his own crazy testing course until he knew I could handle any emergency without freezing or panicking. I'm sure that has saved me many times since.

My 5 months of riding a motorbike in Thailand taught me you have to expect the unexpected if you want to survive. It has actually improved my awareness now that I'm back in Canada. If the OP can do that for his wife then he has done a big service to other drivers on the road. You always have to take responsibility for your own actions.

Spoken as a true driving instructor! thumbsup.gif