Tools on plane? carry on

KRS1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the equivalent Craftsman rolling lower section (which isn't as wide or deep as the one I ordered) runs at least $500 (there are much smaller, cheaper ones on eBay, but I'm comparing similar sizes, which is over 40" wide, not the 24" versions- the one I got is about 10% bigger than the Craftsman)- now you've got to add shipping (it costs $70 just to deliver it within the US) and import duty- an equivalent Crafstman top box runs $115- figure at least $200 to get it to LOS- you'll be right about $1000 if you're lucky (and more if you're not), and it's smaller over-all than what I got here (granted, quality is still unknown).

In the end my total was quite a bit less (though that was a favor for my FIL).

275lbs total shipping weight for both pieces- that would have to come over by container- it's possible you could avoid some taxes that way if you do it right.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I got it from here- http://www.kuihengpattana.com/Default.aspx?pageid=10

If you scroll down I ordered the WS-620R lower unit with the side cabinet and the TC-X6 six-drawer top box- my wife did all the leg-work- there's no English help- the regular price was about 32K for both, but my FIL knows the owner and he cut me a deal.

Nice find, but my one of my pet peeves, call for price. Just list the dam_n price fookers.!

Okay, google is your friend Gazza. Found another Thai company selling the same items or similar. The OKURA TC-X7 is Baht 13,000. I honestly don't mind if it's a knock-off, as long as its durable: They have three styles in their range: http://www.wuthardware.com/store/product/search?keyword=OKURA+TC-X&type=keyword

Edited by Garry
  • Like 1

You need to look at the size as well- that's a bit on the small side- it's hard to tell from website pics how it really looks- it's 680x458x995 as opposed to my example of 1130x570x1000.

There's a ~24" class and a ~40" class when it comes to rolling chests (there's bigger as well).

Edited by RubberSideDown

To the OP i got lucky as when i removed the rear fairing off my bike today i found a set of tools. I know nothing can replace the attachment you have with yours but if you happen to have a tragic loss i will give these to you. These must be good as they look quite old and are complete.

you can clip them on your belt

Not a good photo but the hole is there and now you have a handle

A very nice assortment too

Some extensions

I recommend you take that set and screw yourself with them.

I just bought another Chinese-made accessory today- I got the little 25 liter 2.5hp air compressor that HomePro has on sale for 3500 baht.;)

How do you like it Is it a puma? I was looking at a 3 hp puma but the guy told me no good and tried to sell me another brand. I passed for now.

OK- got the brand- it's the 'Air Mac' BM25.

It seems like it works- I plugged it in, it cycled, I topped off a couple tires and scared the living crap out of the cat with the dust-blower attachment (FYI- HomePro doesn't sell the tire inflation attachment- I found it somewhere else- it was only 375 baht and included a pressure gauge), and it cycled again- seems like 3590 baht well-spent.;)

• 3 weeks later...

I took delivery of the rolling tool chest today- it's not bad, but it's not up to Craftsman quality (though it's right up there in weight;))- my FIL won't tell me his price (low, as he's friends with the owner of the company) and insists it's a gift, but I would have been disappointed if I had paid their asking price.

That said, it will definitely do the job- it's actually not bad, but it doesn't match what I left back in the States:

post-176811-0-54412700-1374496704_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

I took delivery of the rolling tool chest today- it's not bad, but it's not up to Craftsman quality (though it's right up there in weight;))- my FIL won't tell me his price (low, as he's friends with the owner of the company) and insists it's a gift, but I would have been disappointed if I had paid their asking price.

That said, it will definitely do the job- it's actually not bad, but it doesn't match what I left back in the States:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would make my next purchase a camera or a decent phone with a camera. I cant comment as the pics are terrible

• Like 1

'

It's the little things that matter. The quality of the rollers on the draws, a locking mechanism that will only allow one draw to be open at a time, metal prep before powder coating or chroming....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I would make my next purchase a camera or a decent phone with a camera. I cant comment as the pics are terrible

Geez- everybody's a critic...;)

It was raining heavily so it was foggy in my garage and I couldn't get the flash and auto-focus to cooperate in those conditions- I'll try to do better later.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

OK- a couple better pics;):

It's about 41" wide, and the drawers have a clip that keeps them from opening accidentally:

post-176811-0-32982500-1374558348_thumb.

post-176811-0-39276600-1374558357_thumb.

post-176811-0-82088400-1374558336_thumb.

This pic is cropped so you can't see my barbecue or the racks for hanging laundry...

post-176811-0-11835600-1374558325_thumb.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Geez- everybody's a critic...wink.png

It was raining heavily so it was foggy in my garage and I couldn't get the flash and auto-focus to cooperate in those conditions- I'll try to do better later.

555! The micro climate in your garage must be pretty tough to work with!

Be extra careful when you pass any TSA or Covenant searches when checking baggage in the U.S.

I just got back from San Francisco & they kept a couple cans of waxy chain lube Tree salve(neither on the TSA hazmat list- according to TSA

(1) prescription of Vicodin & a power commander ign. module Which I was lucky to get 2 pen cameras at com city that were activated when exposed to light. The year before they bagged spark plugs sliders & misc gear. Luckily one of the cameras caught the thief stealing the prescription drugs. Unfortunately the power commander was not caught on film. We are negotiating a settlement so Covenant(subcontractor for TSA) to keep me from pressing charges. Unfortunately everything but the ign. module can be replaced here & they do not want to fork up the money to ship my items they confiscated back to me. If it wasn't for the Vicodin theft caught on tape They probably would have just told me to F-off!

Rat Bastards seem they like motorcycle parts. Next time I will request being there in person when they rip into my checked in baggage & will have the copies of State of Cali & Federal charges to drive the point home of why I don't trust them. Beware!

No problem with tool theft yet Thank God!