Thai govt pays 19 million Baht compensation for 77 redshirts

webfact

Govt Pays 19 Mil. Baht Compensation For 77 Redshirts

rs.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Ministry of Justice hands out 19 million baht worth of compensation to 77 individuals who were jailed for their alleged roles during the Redshirts protests in 2010.

The protests came to the violent end on 19 May 2010 when the military launched the final assault on their encampments in financial district of Bangkok and rounded up scores of protesters, jailing them under emergency laws.

Many of the arrestees were eventually acquitted of their charges on terrorism and arson attacks, which were pressed against them by the government at the time, while some spent months in jail without being properly charged of any crime.

The current government under PM Yingluck Shinawatra has previously agreed to pay compensation money for their time in detention. The agreement, billed as a move toward reconciliation, extends to other unlawful detentions, injuries, and deaths caused by political incidents from 2005 to 2010.

Today, Pol.Gen. Pracha Promnork, Minister of Justice, presided over the ceremony to hand out the money to the Redshirts who were imprisoned in 2010. 18 of them are from Ubon Ratchatani province, 20 from Bangkok, 28 from Udon Thani, 6 from Kon Kaen, 4 from Chiang Mai, and 1 from Mukdaharn.

Ms. Thida Tojirakarn, chairwoman of the National United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD), said the compensation to sufferers of unfair political charges would help "heal" the country back toward peace. Nonetheless, she said she would campaign for modification of the compensation regulation, calling the existing one "unfair".

According to the regulation, individuals who were jailed less than 90 days would receive 411 baht per day of imprisonment, while those jailed for more than 90 days but less than 180 days would receive 750,000 baht lump sum and those jailed more than 180 days would receive 1,500,000 baht. [more...]

Full story: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNM01qTXlOVGc0TVE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-06-27

Well imprisoning people who are eventually found guilty has a price.

In most countries you get your freedom. Here we see someone imprisoned for 6 months paid more than he would earn in a lifetime.

BTW I assume you meant "found not guilty".

• Like 1

In most countries you get your freedom. Here we see someone imprisoned for 6 months paid more than he would earn in a lifetime.

Typo on my part. The compensation seems high, but these people should have been bailed.

• Like 2

Typo on my part. The compensation seems high, but these people should have been bailed.

They could have been bailed except no one came up with the bail money ( at least in most cases) Thaksin and Thida and the other cronies certainly didn't.

The current guardian of free speech. Chalerm has a Rolls Royce and Bentley. Very poor.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

They could have been bailed except no one came up with the bail money ( at least in most cases) Thaksin and Thida and the other cronies certainly didn't.

The current guardian of free speech. Chalerm has a Rolls Royce and Bentley. Very poor.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Bizarrely, the state has come up with funds for other more fortunate pooyais.

• Like 1

The current government under PM Yingluck Shinawatra has previously agreed to pay compensation money for their time in detention. The agreement, billed as a move toward reconciliation, extends to other unlawful detentions, injuries, and deaths caused by political incidents from 2005 to 2010.

The red shirts didnt exist in 2005, so who got any cash for political incidents that were in 2005 while her brother was PM ?...I am confused dear Yingluck and will any of the yellow shirts receive any compensation ?

and will your brother be claiming for everyday he has been on the run ?

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Thaksin had cut off the pay checks for the last little while. Why would he bail them out they were no use to him any more.

Had to laugh at Yingluck does she really think the population is stupid. She said

"The current government under PM Yingluck Shinawatra has previously agreed to pay compensation money for their time in detention. The agreement, billed as a move toward reconciliation, extends to other unlawful detentions, injuries, and deaths caused by political incidents from 2005 to 2010."

How does she figure paying money to the people who were a part of an attempted coup is bringing the country together? It is bringing the red shirts more into the PTP.

She forgets that 52% of the population did not want her. They are the ones she should be trying to reconcile with.

How much is she going to give to all the people who lost their wages and some of the small business that went out of business?

• Like 1

Thaksin had cut off the pay checks for the last little while. Why would he bail them out they were no use to him any more.

Had to laugh at Yingluck does she really think the population is stupid. She said

"The current government under PM Yingluck Shinawatra has previously agreed to pay compensation money for their time in detention. The agreement, billed as a move toward reconciliation, extends to other unlawful detentions, injuries, and deaths caused by political incidents from 2005 to 2010."

How does she figure paying money to the people who were a part of an attempted coup is bringing the country together? It is bringing the red shirts more into the PTP.

She forgets that 52% of the population did not want her. They are the ones she should be trying to reconcile with.

How much is she going to give to all the people who lost their wages and some of the small business that went out of business?

Are you saying that Thaksin government left these people to stew as a sop to the establishment that they would apparently have the villages under control.

Such a scurrilous accusation, I can't believe he would ever come up with such a cynical idea.

• Like 2

they dont look the brightest do they,,,,,,whistling.gif

Country bumpkins. But they will immediately spend the money on important things like louis vitton bags, 85 inch televisions and endless plates of som tum pra ra for grandma.

Oops! Sorry son, forgot to save any for your college education. Go protest and you can have a payoff like meeeee!

• Like 2

Meanwhile the Thai people down South wonder

They have been for a long time not only with the political unrest but also just after the tsunami hit with Thaksins ignorant 'not the governments support era' comments in regard to assistance. The only changes in this country are for the worse from the Thaksin cronies.

I bet the guy who spent 89 days imprisoned is a bit peeved off he couldn't have managed another day behind bars(89 x 411=36,579Baht; 90 days=750,000Baht). And same for the guy that was locked up 179 days.

In light of these hand outs you may find large numbers of Red shirts turning up a local jails in the next few weeks asking to be locked up for 3 months so they can get their snouts in the trough as well

• Like 1