Thai, Singaporean accused of procuring women in separate cases

webfact

PROSTITUTION
Thai, Singaporean accused of procuring women in separate cases

The Nation

Police have arrested a Singaporean on charges of luring a Thai woman into prostitution in South Africa.

BANGKOK: -- A court approved an arrest warrant for Tan Hong Huat, 56, on Monday. He was apprehended in Samut Prakan's Muang district.

"He told the victim that she would be working as a masseuse but after she travelled to South Africa, she was forced to provide sexual services," Anti-Human Trafficking Division (AHTD) commander Pol Maj-General Chawalit Sawaengpeuch said yesterday.

He said a South African, Regus, was the leader of this trafficking gang.

"We have already obtained an arrest warrant for him," Chawalit said.

Chawalit said police would gather more evidence to seek arrest warrants for Regus' alleged accomplices.

Tan denied any wrongdoing. He said he simply recommended the alleged victim to a friend without knowing that she would be forced into the flesh trade.

In a similar case, Pol Colonel Yuttaphum Panlainak, who works for the AHTD, said police arrested Prapassorn Singh in Chon Buri on Tuesday on suspicion of luring a Thai woman into the flesh trade in Bahrain.

The 26-year-old victim lodged a complaint against Prapassorn on March 6.

"The victim was also told that she would work as a masseuse," Yuttaphum said.

Prapassorn claims she did not know that the victim would have to provide sexual services, Yuttaphum said.

"There are five other accomplices. We will go after them," the officer said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-28

Do these women just pack up on a pimp's promise and run off to another country; it doesn't sound like they were forced to leave? And if so, how did they manage to return to Thailand to accuse those named ? It's a long round-trip from both those destinations. Did they just up and tell their employers, "I don't want to bang for you no more, so I'm going home and press charges." There is a lot of holes in this story (pardon the pun) and it doesn't make sense.

How did they remember these particular gentlemen - in the US no self-respecting pimp/panderer would ever use a real name - would a criminal be that dense in Thailand? (this question should be worth at least 3 pages of droll replies)

(Last seen heading towards local massage house to investigate sex trade and apprehend more victims).

• Like 1

So the "massage parlor" wasn't really a massage parlor - unlike all the strictly legit ones around Thailand. sad.png

There are a large number of Spa/massage parlours that are lady only, and strictly no nonsense in the GCC countries. Maybe she was naieve (and possible desperate for a good paying job) and so believed what she was told as it was what she hoped for. Not all Thais are as well educated and worldly wise as the TV posting elite. She may have been told she was going to one of these upmarket spas.

• Like 1

Do these women just pack up on a pimp's promise and run off to another country; it doesn't sound like they were forced to leave? And if so, how did they manage to return to Thailand to accuse those named ? It's a long round-trip from both those destinations. Did they just up and tell their employers, "I don't want to bang for you no more, so I'm going home and press charges." There is a lot of holes in this story (pardon the pun) and it doesn't make sense.

How did they remember these particular gentlemen - in the US no self-respecting pimp/panderer would ever use a real name - would a criminal be that dense in Thailand? (this question should be worth at least 3 pages of droll replies)

(Last seen heading towards local massage house to investigate sex trade and apprehend more victims).

Why does this story not make sense? Unfortunately not everyone is worldly wise and can spot a scam or know they are being lied to, not all of us are so clever. It may come as a surprise to you but not all masseuses are prostitutes and not all massage parlours are brothels. Many are but many are not. As for getting home, I could be wrong but don't embassies tend to repatriate their nationals when they escape from their traffickers who have Forced them into prostitution. In Thailand's case this especially so as they are trying to get off tier two of the Trafficking in Persons watch list. As for the stupidity of Thai criminals (and Singaporeans it seems), just check out the number of insanely stupid attempts they make at robbing ATMs.

P.S. what pun?

Edited by Bluespunk

Again?

Another article about Thais accusing foreigners of being bad people?

How about arresting Thai mothers, fathers and boyfriends for accepting proceeds from their prostituting daughters and girlfriends, you ignorant morons?

+1

So the "massage parlor" wasn't really a massage parlor - unlike all the strictly legit ones around Thailand. sad.png

There are a large number of Spa/massage parlours that are lady only, and strictly no nonsense in the GCC countries. Maybe she was naieve (and possible desperate for a good paying job) and so believed what she was told as it was what she hoped for. Not all Thais are as well educated and worldly wise as the TV posting elite. She may have been told she was going to one of these upmarket spas.

Naïve or disingenuous?

edit.

Edited by bigbamboo

Why does this story not make sense? Unfortunately not everyone is worldly wise and can spot a scam or know they are being lied to, not all of us are so clever. It may come as a surprise to you but not all masseuses are prostitutes and not all massage parlours are brothels. Many are but many are not. As for getting home, I could be wrong but don't embassies tend to repatriate their nationals when they escape from their traffickers who have Forced them into prostitution. In Thailand's case this especially so as they are trying to get off tier two of the Trafficking in Persons watch list. As for the stupidity of Thai criminals (and Singaporeans it seems), just check out the number of insanely stupid attempts they make at robbing ATMs.

P.S. what pun?

There was no mention of being repatriated in the story above - simply two women accusing two men of being involved in their alleged mistreatment - there was also no details of how the authorities decided that these accusations merited attention other than the accusations. If you have never been the recipient of an angry female's accusations; if you've never had the experience of being scammed (or knowing that you've been scammed) or if you believe any tripe that's printed; then you are indeed correct about not being so clever. I will defer any comments about brothels and masseuses to your superior knowledge, even though I am at a loss to understand how and why that became a point.

I am clever enough to read an article and ask questions about what is obviouly not mentioned and wonder about why is it not mentioned. Hence the comment "there is a lot of holes in this story" referred to a sensationally worded headline leading to a mediocre story with incomplete facts/details or simply bad writing and/or interpretation.

P.S. what pun?

There was no mention of being repatriated in the story above - simply two women accusing two men of being involved in their alleged mistreatment - there was also no details of how the authorities decided that these accusations merited attention other than the accusations. If you have never been the recipient of an angry female's accusations; if you've never had the experience of being scammed (or knowing that you've been scammed) or if you believe any tripe that's printed; then you are indeed correct about not being so clever. I will defer any comments about brothels and masseuses to your superior knowledge, even though I am at a loss to understand how and why that became a point.

I am clever enough to read an article and ask questions about what is obviously not mentioned and wonder about why is it not mentioned. Hence the comment "there is a lot of holes in this story" referred to a sensationally worded headline leading to a mediocre story with incomplete facts/details or simply bad writing and/or interpretation.

I also read what is not written. There might be no mention of being repatriated, but there is no mention of any other means of returning to thailand. Embassy help seems as good a explanation as any for trafficked women to escape forced prostitution, there have been plenty of instances of this in the recent past. As for masseuses and brothels this is how it became a point [in your own words},

'Last seen heading towards local massage house to investigate sex trade and apprehend more victims'

The women claim to be have been tricked into the jobs and I see no reason to disbelieve them.

However the story I grant you is badly written.

Edited by Bluespunk

P.S. what pun?

I am clever enough to read an article and ask questions about what is obviously not mentioned and wonder about why is it not mentioned. Hence the comment "there is a lot of holes in this story" referred to a sensationally worded headline leading to a mediocre story with incomplete facts/details or simply bad writing and/or interpretation.

I also read what is not written. There might be no mention of being repatriated, but there is no mention of any other means of returning to thailand. Embassy help seems as good a explanation as any for trafficked women to escape forced prostitution, there have been plenty of instances of this in the recent past. As for masseuses and brothels this is how it became a point [in your own words},

'Last seen heading towards local massage house to investigate sex trade and apprehend more victims'

The women claim to be have been tricked into the jobs and I see no reason to disbelieve them.

However the story I grant you is badly written.

It seems to me that if they had been "rescued and repatriated" that would have been big story: Heroic Thai Women Escape Sex Slavery. No such link nor reference was made on this thread. Since the story was written in an incomplete frivolous manner I treated it as such. I try to save my indignation (of which I have a reserve) and not waste it on articles/journalists who need to meet a deadline and fail in their responsibilities (details/facts) to their readers in doing so. Thank you for your comments as I did pay attention and reread my own comments which would have been amended them if necessary. If we did a turn around for every adult human being who allows themselves to be influenced/scammed by the human predators who are out there waiting for a willing victim we would be spinning (not in our graves) but to our graves. Or as a wit noted; "just because one is paranoid doesn't mean they are NOT out to get you!"

What reports I found related to this story say the woman in south africa was deported by the police there after escaping forced prostitution and explaining what had happened to her and the woman in Bahrain was repatriated by the Thai embassy there [as are 200 women freed from forced prostitution every year apparently]. Can't guarantee these two stories are about these two women in the OP but there were plenty of other stories on the same thread. The ones I refer to are mearly the most recent.

Edited by Bluespunk