Thailand upset by human trafficking Watch List

webfact

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it very interesting how the USA can talk about Human trafficking, with millions of humans being trafficked into the USA every year. There is no mention about the forced prostituting of young girls, the slave labor on farms in Hawaii, the slave labor of Vietnamese being used in American Samoa.

People in glass houses should not throw stones. cowboy.gif

I'm just wondering who gave the US the right to judge what goes on outside it's borders. My attitude if I were the prime influence/decision maker in another country would be to tell the US to mind it's own business. It has more than enough problems of it's own. Sorting out it's foreign policy should engage them for a decade or so. Human trafficking is a Worldwide problem and I should prefer it to fall under the aegis of a UN entity - with real teeth..

Cause WE have the big hammer.. that's why. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I am an American but I find my government's ongoing Human Rights, Human Trafficking, etc., etc., a bit tiresome. We have a few things in the US that we need to resolve before we lecture others. Far more persuasive to lead by example.

This is tied to trade. If you want to sell product to the USA, make sure that that given industry doesn't use illegal or forced labour. I don't think that is an unfair request do you?

http://www.polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/labor-trafficking-in-the-us/agriculture-a-farms

I understand your position. I personally favor more libertarian solutions. A free press to inform the citizenry and a public that demonstrates its committment to Human Rights and boycots products produced by slave labor.

Again, better to lead/influence by example.

I think the US is doing a pretty good job with regards to this. No country is perfect, but the US is way better than any country here in Asia. So, in effect, they are leading by example.

It's rare to hear of true forced labor. Yes, it happens here and there, but nothing like here. The fishing industry is a disgrace here. Supported by corrupt government officials.

Leading in this way do you mean:

Statistics Snapshot

Since the passage of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act, numerous cases of slavery have emerged in agriculture. In the state of Florida alone, the Department of Justice has prosecuted 7 labor trafficking cases, assisting over 1,000 victims. Most recently, on September 2, 2010, the Department of Justice issued an indictment alleging that Global Horizons, a labor recruiting company, recruited over 400 Thai workers and forced them to work in agriculture in at least 13 states by ensuring the workers accrued a substantial debt, confiscating their passports and visas, and deporting workers that didn’t cooperate with the company’s demands.

I am an American but I find my government's ongoing Human Rights, Human Trafficking, etc., etc., a bit tiresome. We have a few things in the US that we need to resolve before we lecture others. Far more persuasive to lead by example.

This is tied to trade. If you want to sell product to the USA, make sure that that given industry doesn't use illegal or forced labour. I don't think that is an unfair request do you?

http://www.polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/labor-trafficking-in-the-us/agriculture-a-farms

I understand your position. I personally favor more libertarian solutions. A free press to inform the citizenry and a public that demonstrates its committment to Human Rights and boycots products produced by slave labor.

Again, better to lead/influence by example.

free press in thailand?

The director has also instructed all human-trafficking related agencies to keep their eyes open, especially after the establishment of Asean Community, during which the number of human trafficking cases will likely increase and the crime will be committed much easier.

Government of Thailand

Standard Operating Procedure for

Prevention of Trafficking in Persons

Step 1: open eyes

Step 2....

(edited for spelling)

Edited by americaninbangkok

'Thailand upset by human trafficking Watch List'

Yes ofcourse, the 'traditional' reaction to international loss of face, hahahahaha cheesy.gif

But 'face' seem to be more important over the actual problem, sad, respectless and hypocrite... On the long run they cut their own fingers and no more self respecting tourist/elite-card expat/investor will come here.

'Thailand upset by human trafficking Watch List'

Yes ofcourse, the 'traditional' reaction to international loss of face, hahahahaha cheesy.gif

But 'face' seem to be more important over the actual problem, sad, respectless and hypocrite... On the long run they cut their own fingers and no more self respecting tourist/elite-card expat/investor will come here.

Upset. Unusual word. Normally Thai governments rage, slam, or fight back against forum foreign accusations like this.

Upset, is what happens when you get into trouble for not doing your homework. They know they did wrong and could have sorted this out ages ago.

Thailand is only pissed because it is on the list!

Lots of folk slagging off the US on this, quoting stories of enslavement in said country etc... it happens, but not wholesale and with the powers that be not giving two hoots. At least someone is highlighting the issue.

Now if only someone would set up an atmospheric polluter watch list! whistling.gif

• Like 1

I think the US is doing a pretty good job with regards to this. No country is perfect, but the US is way better than any country here in Asia. So, in effect, they are leading by example.

It's rare to hear of true forced labor. Yes, it happens here and there, but nothing like here. The fishing industry is a disgrace here. Supported by corrupt government officials.

Leading in this way do you mean:

Statistics Snapshot

Since the passage of the Trafficking Victims Protection Act, numerous cases of slavery have emerged in agriculture. In the state of Florida alone, the Department of Justice has prosecuted 7 labor trafficking cases, assisting over 1,000 victims. Most recently, on September 2, 2010, the Department of Justice issued an indictment alleging that Global Horizons, a labor recruiting company, recruited over 400 Thai workers and forced them to work in agriculture in at least 13 states by ensuring the workers accrued a substantial debt, confiscating their passports and visas, and deporting workers that didnt cooperate with the companys demands.

Unfortunately, these things happen. Luckily, the US does something about it. Unlike here where nothing is done and brown envelopes are passed around. And in this case, it was Thai workers who were being treated unfairly. But no charges were brought against the recruiters here in Thailand. Recruiters here are a bad breed.

Saying that you’re offended is only a statement that has any worth to you. It is in no way, shape or form a good argument or way of thinking to point out why something is wrong. You being offended is your own responsibility and it doesn’t do any good in an argument when you want to educate someone else on why you don’t agree with their viewpoint or comment.

Saying that you’re offended to shut others up is the equivalent of a small child crying when their mom wont buy them that toy they wanted. Why do they want it so bad? Who knows. Why is it emotionally that important to them? Who knows. All you know is that the kid is crying which is essentially meaningless when it comes to reasoning other than that it can be used as a tool to get someone to feel sorry for you.

If you don’t agree with something and voice it by saying that you’re offended I will give that no value. Come up with a objective reason on why something is wrong, not a personal emotion that you apparently have no control over and want the world to adjust to.

Thailand is offended. So what? Why doesn't Thailand harness it's efforts to, as much as reasonably possible, NOT give offence?

Good points. Important to realize that 90% of thai officials have the emotional development of 13 year olds, so it would stand to reason they would say something this inane. I do not like it. Do not talk about my country like this. My country is perfect. We do everything right. And other countries are not permitted to criticize my country. Not easy being naked before a big crowd. Thailand is doing very, very little to improve itself. Shockingly little. It will get left behind by its neighbors, most of which are more progressive, and possess more vision. Over time, this will take its toll, and Thailand will say, why did our economy shrink? Why are our tourism numbers shrinking? Why is direct foreign investment in Burma, Indonesia, and Malaysia higher? What did we do wrong? Vision baby, vision.

Thailand will regularly report to the United States, Why? Since when has the U.S been in charge and who made them the governor? Wouldn't they be better reporting to an independent body like the U.N?

We've been in charge since 1776.

The very epitome of self delusion. For most of the intervening years the US has had a policy of isolation.

• Like 1

Here's good information about trafficking in the US, for those who are interested. www.polarisproject.org

Whether it is Thailand, America, or any other country, what the anti-trafficking movement is trying to do is ensure that the legal systems have effective methods for tackling the problem. So yes, of course trafficking exists in America, Australia, Britain and elsewhere. The point is whether the government in that place is making a credible effort to deal with it.

And the tactic of assessing, ranking, and penalizing states that fall short didn't originate with governments. It's the result of decades of effort by the public to force its government to assert its international influence. So we should read this as the American public, itself still struggling with a devastating history of slavery, using the democratic tools at its disposal to try to protect others from suffering the same fate. So anyone who says that America or some other country should mind its own business is really saying that people shouldn't take an interest in the welfare of others.

• Like 2

I find it very interesting how the USA can talk about Human trafficking, with millions of humans being trafficked into the USA every year. There is no mention about the forced prostituting of young girls, the slave labor on farms in Hawaii, the slave labor of Vietnamese being used in American Samoa.

People in glass houses should not throw stones. cowboy.gif

I'm just wondering who gave the US the right to judge what goes on outside it's borders. My attitude if I were the prime influence/decision maker in another country would be to tell the US to mind it's own business. It has more than enough problems of it's own. Sorting out it's foreign policy should engage them for a decade or so. Human trafficking is a Worldwide problem and I should prefer it to fall under the aegis of a UN entity - with real teeth..

Cause WE have the big hammer.. that's why. coffee1.gif

There's nothing wrong in the US making reasonable demands of places like Thailand. They can't make Thailand do anything as that's down to them but they are entitled to impose sanctions against them so long as they don't breach international rules. If it helps to stop these cases of slavery ect. then well done. My only criticism might be why aren't they doing something now?

I'm not sure what the EU is doing about this but then maybe it doesn't import as much as the US. If it did then in terms of population it has an even bigger hammer

Sorry, I cant stay silent.

What apologetic dribble! So what, continue to trade as normal? And if we (america) did turn a blind eye, you'd be the first to beat your chest and cry foul.

You cant have it both ways. Trade or no trade, that's the issue. And under what conditions. We (Americans) are in no way claiming to be pure enough to judge, or lecture others. But we can determine the conditions we will have business and diplomatic relations.

We do our best, do what we can, learn from our mistakes and move on.

just my 2 non-apologetic fricken cents.