Thailand, The Coolest country in SE Asia?...

krisb

I was getting questioned by some friends at work about Thailand. It seems like anyone talks about the place, they either cant wait to get back, or cant wait to see it for the first time..I actually cant explain why I love going there, its not 1 thing in particular, I sum it up by just saying yeah my wifes from there so thats why we go...smile.png

So what makes Thailand so irresistable to so many? Why does Thailand out of all SE Asia and Id say most of the worlds holiday destinations, draw so many different crowds from all different walks of life, from all over the world? Over 22 million visit Thailand each year!

I mean its cheap, but not the cheapest. Laos much cheaper for example.Thailands not the cleanest compared to Singapore. Thailands good for parties, but theres bigger and better around the world if thats what your seeking. Plenty of culture, sure is but you can find this elsewhere in abundance. Theres always great deal holiday packages to Thailand, but not Thailand alone. Beaches, hmm, got all that in Australia. This list can go on and on.

Tell me, what makes this country such a drawcard for you?

For me, many things but to narrow it down.....cheaper than Oz, the weather is more consistent and my wife is more comfortable here, as I am.

Don't get me wrong, my wife lived in Oz for 7 years and loved it, but as we all know....to get around that great big beautiful country, you need lots and lots of dollars, which we don't have.

I've been to Vietnam, Hanoi....sorry not impressed, Singapore...clean and expensive, Malaysia.....can't remember much, too pissed, Indonesia..dirty and noisy, Phillipines...too crazy and scary, Japan...expensive and very racist, Korea...smelly and awkward, then I discovered Thailand and just felt welcomed.

Cheers.

i really miss the winters , just to feel the cold for a few months of the year. I have lived in Canada and America , Canada was ok , but the yanks really are full of themselves .Will never go back there again even though I lived there for 3 years/

It all depends on your age and outlook on life.

Many Westerners don't go to Thailand because it's cool but for a better way of life in retirement.

For the majority travelling from Europe it's the place to explore and experience en-route to Australia.

The movie "The Beach" enhanced Thailand to the upper echelons of backpacker travel.

For me it was an ever extending stay on the back of a two year Australian experience, Ozzie dollars went a long way back then in Los.

To be honest i thought Oz was cooler at the time.

A one week holiday turned into a 8 month extended stay and meeting my wife.

One of the coolest experiences was a conversation with a Thai monk in Chaing Mai, believe me it was enlightening.

Funny old world

CCC

• Like 1

OP, I couldn't understand if you are talking about tourists or expats?

If you are talking about Tourism, then Thailand is not even in the top 10 countries in the world in terms of number of tourists.

BTW, first in SE Asia is Malaysia.

But Thailand does give good value for money, better then its neighbors I guess.

Prices for lodging and food are still low, not to mention the massage prices.

If the prices would rise to European level, the number of tourists would drop overnight.

The draw for me is the cheapness of accommodation, decent infrastructure, food, transport and, most of all, the freedom to do as I please without inquiry, impediment, interference or intrusion from or by the state.

I realise that, for many, that "freedom" can be seen as a double-edged sword when well-worn gripes like dual-charging or use of the F-word when describing non-Thais comes up but, even if those things were an issue for ME (they're not), the pros would still far outweigh the cons.

If you are talking about Tourism, then Thailand is not even in the top 10 countries in the world in terms of number of tourists.

If the prices would rise to European level, the number of tourists would drop overnight.

All depends on your definition of the word cool.

Most westerners under 40 would define Thailand as a cool destination.

Most over 40 westerners would define the North Pole as cool, no make that sub zero man..

What type of person generally holidays in Malaysia?

The prices are on a par with Europe now, but Thailand is still popular and always will be.

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang
  • Like 1

Most over 40 westerners would define the North Pole as cool, no make that sub zero man..

The prices are on a par with Europe now, but Thailand is still popular and always will be.

CCC

You do realize that "cool" was in wide use over fifty years ago right?

I also want to know why so many tourists are going to Malaysia

It's uncool to use the word cool once you've hit 40 even if you are the coolest in town.

If i was an old hippie being refered to as cool i would have to pass the pipe over and say "sabai"

How many "sabai" persons are chilling on the beach in Malaysia surrounded by younger maidens offering their philosophy on the universe from the West?

Just Sayincoffee1.gif

CCC

Edited by Chittychangchang

Are you sure about that....? http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2013/06/07/bangkok-tops-the-worlds-10-most-visited-cities/

Anyways, there are plenty of reasons why tourists/expats like Thailand. One that often goes unmentioned is that for a country as exotic as Thailand (i.e., un-western-like), and still a developing country (which means "cheaper," generally speaking), Thailand is quite a safe place. Seriously, large cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai are still much, much safer than large cities in the USA, for example. But if you go looking for trouble in places like Pattaya and Phuket, then you're probably going to find it.

• Like 1

CCC

You do realize that "cool" was in wide use over fifty years ago right?

I also want to know why so many tourists are going to Malaysia

It's uncool to use the word cool once you've hit 40 even if you are the coolest in town.

If i was an old hippie being refered to as cool i would have to pass the pipe over and say "sabai"

How many "sabai" persons are chilling on the beach in Malaysia surrounded by younger maidens offering their philosophy on the universe from the West?

Just Sayincoffee1.gif

CCC

CCCC

Cool Chitty Chang Chang...........................tongue.png

• Like 2

They keep showing the movie "The Beach" on hbo or fox movies, cant remember which, this week.

Was always interested in watching it but never round to it until now.

What a load of poop! Though it does capture the stereotypical backpacker dress / attitudes very well

Edited by ava15

I wouldn't say Thailand was 'cool' unless you're a student on your first visit (there are 'cooler' places in Europe) but it's got a lot more plusses than minuses, which is more than you can say for my homeland just now.

There are many reasons why I come back, but primarily it's food.

The food is fantastic. I wouldn't say Thai people are world beaters at anything in particular, in some most cases they are plain McDodgy but the food is excellent. Thai people are unwaivering towards their commitment to excellent food. And it is so damn cheap. Not too mention I can catch taxis everywhere and receive a higher standard of service. In Australia I make 80k a year and feel like an underling.

I wish the rain would stop.

I'm in the mood for cocktails at Vertigo. sad.png

Ordering this cocktail could be precarious....

Flying Scotsman - Mix three glasses whisky, 2.5 glasses Italian Vermouth and add one tablespoon bitters and a tablespoon of sugar syrup.

CCC

There are many reasons why I come back, but primarily it's food.  

The food is fantastic. I wouldn't say Thai people are world beaters at anything in particular, in some most cases they are plain McDodgy but the food is excellent. Thai people are unwaivering towards their commitment to excellent food. And it is so dam_n cheap. Not too mention I can catch taxis everywhere and receive a higher standard of service. In Australia I make 80k a year and feel like an underling.

80k a year's not enough in Australia anymore. Sad. I think if I earned 30k baht a month and lived in the village I'd be able to save more than in Australia.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

CCC

Hotel prices are about 40-50% lower then Western Europe.

Food prices are 30-70% lower, depending if you eat in a descent restaurant, or on the side of the street.

Same goes for massage and other services.

And I have no idea who goes to Malaysia, but they had more tourists then Thailand in 2011 (according to Wikipedia).

Edited by soomak

Are you sure about that....? http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2013/06/07/bangkok-tops-the-worlds-10-most-visited-cities/

Anyways, there are plenty of reasons why tourists/expats like Thailand. One that often goes unmentioned is that for a country as exotic as Thailand (i.e., un-western-like), and still a developing country (which means "cheaper," generally speaking), Thailand is quite a safe place. Seriously, large cities like Bangkok and Chiang Mai are still much, much safer than large cities in the USA, for example. But if you go looking for trouble in places like Pattaya and Phuket, then you're probably going to find it.

Life is easy when you know how to use google:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings#International_tourist_arrivals_by_country_of_destination_2011

Took me 30 seconds...