Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

BANGKOK, June 28 (UPI) -- Lawmakers in Thailand say they want all foreign tourists to be required to purchase travel and health insurance before arriving in their country.

Thailand's Public Health Ministry Wednesday proposed the measure during a meeting with representatives from the Airports of Thailand, Royal Thai Police and other government ministries, the Bangkok Post reported.

The health ministry has suggested the cost of health insurance coverage might be included in visa fees, Public Health Minister Pradit Sinthawanarong said at the meeting.

Those visiting Thailand without visas would be required to buy insurance at immigration checkpoints or the fees could be added to the cost of airline tickets.

After the meeting, Pradit said all of those involved agreed to set up a subcommittee to work on the proposal.
The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Source: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2013/06/28/Thailand-to-require-foreign-tourists-to-buy-health-insurance/UPI-82601372457061/

-- UPI 2013-06-29

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to possibly loose few million touriststhumbsup.gif

Personally i purchase all my tickets and hotels with my black master card which automatically gives me 6 months of health insurance while travelling,

So would i need to show them the booklets and translate it for themblink.png

Um, yes.

Insurance to what level anyway?

• Like 2

Personally i purchase all my tickets and hotels with my black master card which automatically gives me 6 months of health insurance while travelling,

Um, yes.

What do you mean to what level?

I am fully covered, have made claims in the past, paid for surgery and physio over 500 000 no probs at all

• Like 2

Sounds like nothing more than another money grab to me.

Here's a better idea.

"the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service"

How about simply legislating that state hospitals NOT provide foreigners with free medical service. Why do they anyway?

Wouldn't that be a lot easier than setting up a whole new bureaucratic arm?

Easier yes. But that would be impossible for political insiders to scam money. So by making it mandatory for the 20 million visitors a year to buy insurance, there's a pot of gold for the insurance providers. Of course the Thai government hospitals will still lose money, but then they'll simply charge foreigners 10 times the regular thai prices for insurance policies.

• Like 1

Should not be a huge problem to introduce a compulsory travel insurance except that the visa law today which allow border runs have to be abandon and the 30/90 day visa exemption which many countries have with Thailand.

Um, yes.

What do you mean to what level?

I am fully covered, have made claims in the past, paid for surgery and physio over 500 000 no probs at all

I mean the Thai level of requirement.

Full with repatriation etc etc?

Maybe the tourist insurance will borrow some of the provisions of the US Affordable Health Care Act; A.K.A., Obama Care:

Persons that choose not to purchase a health insurance policy can pay a "Penality" on thei US Income Tax returns.

* Of course the thoughtful Thai Immigration officers will accept cash on arrival, saving visitors the postage to mail their "fines."

I love it here; everyday is a new adventure :)

For the life of me, I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of people sitting in the

back rooms of the government house wrecking their brains how to gauge more

money out of the helpless tourists, and who would be the lucky minister/tycoon

mobster who will reap the mega millions out such scheme...

• Like 2

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

Emergency medical services are provided and in some cases people with chronic problems have been treated despite being unable to pay.

In just one example:

Jetsada Jongpaiboonpattana, director of the state-run Vachira Phuket Hospital, said the hospital spent about 3 million baht last year on treating foreign tourists for free.

The cost involves medical services for accidents, emergency care and operations, and taking care of dead foreigners whose bodies were left at the hospital.

The hospital has now set up a foundation and accepts donations from patients to help pay for foreign patients who cannot afford medical fees.

This matter comes up every time this topic is brought up. Those of us who actually pay for our treatment end up paying more for those foreigners who are unable to pay hospital charges.

While it may be difficult to enact and enforce, it's certainly a reasonable matter of concern.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

For the life of me, I'm pretty sure that there are a bunch of people sitting in the

back rooms of the government house wrecking their brains how to gauge more

money out of the helpless tourists, and who would be the lucky minister/tycoon

mobster who will reap the mega millions out such scheme...

"wrecking [sic] their brains how to gauge [sic] more money out of the helpless tourists,"

Helpless or clueless? Any sensible traveler has medical and accident coverage of some sort.

I dont see what the problems imagined here are.

Insurance is compulsory for Thais travelling to my country , and comparitively far less affordable for them.

Tourists should need to arrive with proof of Insurance or be refused entry ,and have to prove coverage at Visa application/extension time.

Booths selling such at point of entry should be set up , these would provide rental income to the airport etc , as well as some T money for the boys, since this is LOS.

A 'Minimum Coverage Package' could be approved by the relevant authority and sold at those booths.

No more free coverage for Farangs - not that Ive ever had it offered anyway.

Its immoral that people from wealthier Western countries should expect the few Thai taxpayers to carry their health costs.

• Like 2