Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

Im not a tourist, so I guess nothing to worry about. whistling.gif

Ah but maybe if you want your visa extention you will now have to show a valid medical insurance cover along with your 400/800K bank balance.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel insurance is a good idea, no doubt, as we have little control over what could happen when on holiday (anytime for that matter!).

However, as has already been mentioned, how do you control/price the policies, especially for the elderly?

If this is ever enforced, I can see a great reduction in the retired section of tourists coming to these shores.

• Like 1

In a separate article in the newspaper it talked about non-tourist visa holders being required to have insurance also and/or to pay a fee at the Immigration checkpoint!?! To be honest, between the writing skills of the newspaper reporter and the almost intelligible way it was discussed by the folks in the meeting the outcome could have been totally different and we'll never know it.

• Like 2

Way to possibly loose few million touriststhumbsup.gif

Personally i purchase all my tickets and hotels with my black master card which automatically gives me 6 months of health insurance while travelling,

So would i need to show them the booklets and translate it for themblink.png

mai phen rai, still many more tourists will come

I've got a better idea, why don't they insist that anyone who wants a visa for say twelve months, has to deposit a sum of money into a Thai bank, I don't know, something like THB 800,000 or so, I'll bet they never thought of that one.

• Like 1

Am I naive in thinking they could simply tack on a small standard fee for all tourists entering the country to compensate for the cost of emergency medical services to the minority of tourists that actually use the hospital?

Not insurance, per se. Just a surcharge for the unavoidable fact that some uninsured people will end up in the hospital on occasion.

Seems pretty straightforward and feasible on the face of it.

but why discriminate against just against "tourists" there are large numbers of "residents" living here who dont have medical insurance who could find themselves in the same position ?

I am pretty sure if this requirement comes into fruition it will affect those living here as well in terms of their extension of stay renewals, ie one will need to prove adequate medical insurance to be granted the extension

• Like 1

Am I naive in thinking they could simply tack on a small standard fee for all tourists entering the country to compensate for the cost of emergency medical services to the minority of tourists that actually use the hospital?

Not insurance, per se. Just a surcharge for the unavoidable fact that some uninsured people will end up in the hospital on occasion.

but why discriminate against just against "tourists" there are large numbers of "residents" living here who dont have medical insurance who could find themselves in the same position ?

I am pretty sure if this requirement comes into fruition it will affect those living here as well in terms of their extension of stay renewals, ie one will need to prove adequate medical insurance to be granted the extension

...or 800K in the bank.

It would be be a difficult rule to enforce seeing there are so many companies worldwide who provide health/accident insurance in a travel insurance package.

If it is enforced I can see so many people presenting worthless pieces of paper as evidence of insurance.

I've got a better idea, why don't they insist that anyone who wants a visa for say twelve months, has to deposit a sum of money into a Thai bank, I don't know, something like THB 800,000 or so, I'll bet they never thought of that one.

or of course prove you do have existing insurance....so what your suggesting is that for someone who is a retiree using the 800k route...they have to show 1.6 million in the bank to get the extension ?

...or 800K in the bank.

on top of the 800k they already have to prove ?

...or 800K in the bank.

on top of the 800k they already have to prove ?

No, just use the existing 800K as a surety.

Wow, so much negativity about a good idea. Any sensible traveller already has travel medical insurance. Many countries insist that you need travel medical insurance to enter their country. I don't see why anyone would thing this is a bad idea. As for the ones who have said if your over 60 with a pre-existing condition, I feel for you, but if something does happen while you are here why should the Thai health care system be responsible for you?

There are policies that you can get I assure you, they are just very expensive.

If you were to arrive at the airport and at the immigration check point you had to present your passport, arrival card and proof of medical insurance to the immigration officer and if you don't have it they direct you to the booth selling it, so what. Not like Thailand would be unique on that policy.

• Like 1

Yep same as above. Too many people in the World with no concept of consequence. Sex without contraception, borrow money without thevability to pay it back, travel without insurance or medical cover, spend all they earn, no pension, no savings, break the law then sorry when punished... Then it's hand out and expect someone else to fix their predicment.. Same ones who blame the Government or their boss or their location for their own failures..

what a miserable comment....so where are all these miscreants.?... having travelled and interacted with many people I do not find many of those you describe, must be a very small minority...sounds like you have swallowed the dummy and do exactly what any authority tells you and fell irritated by those who are more carefree and less anal....

I have yet to hear of any farang who has received State hospital aid for free..so where are some figures of these losses...sounds like another skim scam to me.

I've heard of and seen many over the years, this is not an imagined problem either here or in other countries, including the UK..

Thai government hospitals are free for Thais not for foreigners. Maybe they should implement a reciprocal policy in the UK so that Thais turning up at a British hospital are required to either pay or show their insurance documents? I wonder how many xenophobic Asian countries are left in the 21st century?

Way to possibly loose few million touriststhumbsup.gif

Personally i purchase all my tickets and hotels with my black master card which automatically gives me 6 months of health insurance while travelling,

So would i need to show them the booklets and translate it for themblink.png

Ditto ...

WOW ... popular topic ... over 1,000 viewers ... ThaiVisa Gold ... thumbsup.gif

Thai government hospitals are free for Thais not for foreigners. Maybe they should implement a reciprocal policy in the UK so that Thais turning up at a British hospital are required to either pay or show their insurance documents? I wonder how many xenophobic Asian countries are left in the 21st century?

GFP (Great First Post) ... thumbsup.gif

Australia is considered an Asian country as it's included in many of the Economic Partnerships.

Almost exclusively a person from Thailand, with a Tourist Visa would be paying for their Medical Care in Australia.