Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only hope that it is reciprocal. Thais travelling to UK, USA etc should also be required to have medical insurance, commensurate with the standard of care at western government hospitals.

Another point is that foreigners pay at least 5 times what thais pay to visit government funded monuments at national parks. Aren't we indirectly funding our "free" coverage, which I am sure is used in a small minority of cases.

The bottom line is the tourist business. I If a few million fewer touristst a year is acceptable, I am all in favour. Pattaya is far too full of tour buses, and I would be more than happy if they visit myanmar and vietnam instead. Malaysias beaches are much cleaner than thai beaches.

But then I am not in the tourist business.....

• Like 1

It would be be a difficult rule to enforce seeing there are so many companies worldwide who provide health/accident insurance in a travel insurance package.

If it is enforced I can see so many people presenting worthless pieces of paper as evidence of insurance.

All immigration officers will attend a course in reading small print in Russian language documents. That will fix it.

Here here to mandatory insurance. When I worked in the hotel trade here the amount of our guests who didn't have either and, when the sh*t hit the fan, seemed to feel that it was the both the hotel's and Thailand's responsibility to dig them out of situation they found themselves in at no cost to themselves.

I just returned from a trip home and the all singing and dancing travel insurance price was negligible.

Basically if you're dumb enough to travel without insurance you'd do the world a favour by staying at home.

Fine, then change the laws in home countries to mirror Thai laws. By that I include residency, property purchase and insurance. See how they like that! A friends Thai wife living in the UK gets dole (though she never worked a day) and that means free medical and possibly housing. Whats good for the goose.......

Another point is that foreigners pay at least 5 times what thais pay to visit government funded monuments at national parks. Aren't we indirectly funding our "free" coverage, which I am sure is used in a small minority of cases.

This is also true in Thai private hospitals.

Slightly off topic.

I had reason to visit one this month (gashed my calf open when cycling), 10 stitches, 2 nurses, 1 doctor, bandages, injections, antibiotics, pain killers.

Total cost 300bht, no ID or paperwork required until after the treatment. I'm absolutely convinced a foreigner would have been charged 10x that amount. In and out in less than one hour. Less than $10, I couldn't have even parked my car in the US hospital car park for that!

Hospital care in CM is so cheap for Thais, it just isn't worthwhile queuing in a government hospital.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

I as thinking the same, fees for foreigners are normally double at surgeries and hospitals anyway.

Anyone have a list of the medical facilities in Chiangmai who provide the free service for farangs? I have been using Chiangmai Ram and can't even get out the door until you pay.

I wonder if only emergency treatment is free? That's the system in the UK. It would explain the confusion.

Making insurance mandatory for foreigners is one thing. Being able to get a policy over the age of 60 is another. Then what about those who have private policies through BUPA or another carrier. Will they have additional fees levied on them during the visa process?

Attempting to levy these fees through the airlines will go over like a fart in church. Never going to happen.

Once again the the ministry releases policy without thinking through the details.

I hear monk fart in wat a many time.

Sunisa.

Slightly off topic.

I had reason to visit one this month (gashed my calf open when cycling), 10 stitches, 2 nurses, 1 doctor, bandages, injections, antibiotics, pain killers.

Total cost 300bht, no ID or paperwork required until after the treatment. I'm absolutely convinced a foreigner would have been charged 10x that amount. In and out in less than one hour.

Hospital care in CM is so cheap for Thais, it just isn't worthwhile queuing in a government hospital.

Coincidently I had stitches this month also, in my chin! Eight stitches, anti-biotics etc etc, CM Ram, 4,500 baht.

• Like 1

I think calling people sponges is going a bit far but...

But what happens if you find yourself in a medical situation where you run out of money to pay for everything ?

I have sufficient funds to cater for any medical situation.

Any medical situation really ?

The health ministry set up the meeting after Thailand's government asked it to address concerns about the financial burden on the country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service, Pradit said.

Free medical services for foreigners at state hospitals.... when did that start then?

I as thinking the same, fees for foreigners are normally double at surgeries and hospitals anyway.

Anyone have a list of the medical facilities in Chiangmai who provide the free service for farangs? I have been using Chiangmai Ram and can't even get out the door until you pay.

I wonder if only emergency treatment is free? That's the system in the UK. It would explain the confusion.

No, there is no free care for farangs, even emergency treatment is charged for.

I think calling people sponges is going a bit far but...

But what happens if you find yourself in a medical situation where you run out of money to pay for everything ?

I have sufficient funds to cater for any medical situation.

Any medical situation really ?

Yes.

Thai tour operators mostly forget or not have an mandatory insurance for their activities.

Sometimes people get stepped on by an elephant or overrun by a speedboat and if lucky end up in the hospital.

The tour operator is not insured and is not going to pay for it.

Is this a new way to save face of these operators ?

I do think it is a good thing to have mandatory insurance !

At least this way everyone knows that what ever activities they are doing they will be insured.

Have to put adventurous activities also in the policy like : scuba diving , rock-climbing , cycling and hiking.

• Like 1

what happened about changing which side cars drive was that just talk ,health insurance is good when you travel and in some counties to live in it is a must ,Uk have free health cover ,but is it worth having these days

The discussion about changing from left to right hand driving was an April Fool's Joke. There was never any serious discussion about it and in a country with very few foreign registered vehicles it will never happen as there's no need for it. The average Bangkokian will find they might spot a Lao or Malaysian registered car about 3-5 times a year - hardly much reason to consider changing the side of driving. Also, when was the last time a Lao or Malaysian truck entered Bangkok? Answer: never.

Tomtom I don't know about Laos but I am quite sure Malaysia and Thailand drive on the same side of the road already!!! wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by phuketjock

Slightly off topic.

Total cost 300bht, no ID or paperwork required until after the treatment. I'm absolutely convinced a foreigner would have been charged 10x that amount. In and out in less than one hour.

Coincidently I had stitches this month also, in my chin! Eight stitches, anti-biotics etc etc, CM Ram, 4,500 baht.

I think that exactly proves my point, unbelievable.

it's just Thai version Kubuki theater to appease the Xenophobes/Racists.

Nothing will come of it.... They can't stop people from driving on the sidewalks. Or even build decent sidewalks.

There are bigger fish to fry.

True there are bigger fish to fry.

How ever if you have been following events here in Thailand you will notice their lack of ability to handle them. They have become such an inept government that even the Thai citizens are seeing through them.

We tend to foerget that 52% of the voting people did not want them and we can be fairly sure that the majority of the yellow shirts did not want them.

With all this many people seeing through them they need a diversionary tactic and what better way to do it than taslk about Farangs costing them money in the Hospitals.

My money says if Farongs never went to the hospitals including the ones who have insurance and the ones who pay cash. The hospitals would lose even more money.

Edited by hellodolly

This is also true in Thai private hospitals.Slightly off topic.I had reason to visit one this month (gashed my calf open when cycling), 10 stitches, 2 nurses, 1 doctor, bandages, injections, antibiotics, pain killers.Total cost 300bht, no ID or paperwork required until after the treatment. I'm absolutely convinced a foreigner would have been charged 10x that amount. In and out in less than one hour.Hospital care in CM is so cheap for Thais, it just isn't worthwhile queuing in a government hospital.
I think that exactly proves my point, unbelievable.

Ok however my wife needs to prove 400K Euro health care every time she applies for a Schengen Visa,so whats the big deal that Thailand will require that every tourist must have some form of health insurance that covers them while visiting Thailand.Regardless of nationality if you travel you need to cover yourself and grow up nd not expect everything to be same same as home...................or that your local hospital will kindly pick up the tab.Alternative is restrict travelling abroad to grown ups only.............

Thaiddown. I think they mean when the farang cannot pay or has run out of money they get the treatment free. Not free to farangs generally. Fell sure that's what meant. There must be quite a few in Pattaya for example living on lowly funds.

Ok however my wife needs to prove 400K Euro health care every time she applies for a Schengen Visa,so whats the big deal that Thailand will require that every tourist must have some form of health insurance that covers them while visiting Thailand.Regardless of nationality if you travel you need to cover yourself and grow up nd not expect everything to be same same as home...................or that your local hospital will kindly pick up the tab.Alternative is restrict travelling abroad to grown ups only.............

Not to compare because the Schengen countries have reasons to be protective regarding visitors from poor third world countries like Thailand, who usually cannot afford our hospital costs in case of an accident.

They better make insurance against jetski scams obligatory because that's really about 'big' money.

Here here to mandatory insurance. When I worked in the hotel trade here the amount of our guests who didn't have either and, when the sh*t hit the fan, seemed to feel that it was the both the hotel's and Thailand's responsibility to dig them out of situation they found themselves in at no cost to themselves.

I just returned from a trip home and the all singing and dancing travel insurance price was negligible.

Basically if you're dumb enough to travel without insurance you'd do the world a favour by staying at home.

With your attitude I wouldn't want to stay at any Hotel you worked at...by the way, If mandatory health insurance is implemented, it could dissuade some tourists coming to Thailand, another nail in the coffin.

I guess they mean emergency medical care. Something that is free is many other countries. So maybe they will ask you if you are a tourist, assuming all tourists will have medical cover, or a resident. Then if you are a resident, they will ask you if you have medical insurance or not. If you do not have it or are unconscious, or by this time, dead, then bye, bye.

what happened about changing which side cars drive was that just talk ,health insurance is good when you travel and in some counties to live in it is a must ,Uk have free health cover ,but is it worth having these days

The discussion about changing from left to right hand driving was an April Fool's Joke. There was never any serious discussion about it and in a country with very few foreign registered vehicles it will never happen as there's no need for it. The average Bangkokian will find they might spot a Lao or Malaysian registered car about 3-5 times a year - hardly much reason to consider changing the side of driving. Also, when was the last time a Lao or Malaysian truck entered Bangkok? Answer: never.

Tomtom I don't know about Laos but I am quite sure Malaysia and Thailand drive on the same side of the road already!!! wai.gifthumbsup.gif

They drive on the right in Lao. If you look at many of the border crossings in goggle maps you can see the switch over points.