Thailand to require foreign tourists to buy health insurance

webfact

I was just going to ask that question also. What the hell is Thailand coming to. In every country in the world the state does not give foreigners free medical treatment. I never take out insurance and I am not stupid, I pay for any medical I need. I come to Thailand and stay at least 6 months each time and the cost to get insurance for that long in New Zealand is enormous.

In my (EU) country they give it. Time ago, Panama has introduced a free health insurance program to promote tourism.

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poo Mik, please tell me where I can buy SSO. I am retired and do not work. I once was insured by my school (฿750 a month) for 11 months, but because it was only for 11 months I could not extend it. You had to have been insured for a year. Being 60 also came into play.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Wow, so much negativity about a good idea. Any sensible traveller already has travel medical insurance. Many countries insist that you need travel medical insurance to enter their country. I don't see why anyone would thing this is a bad idea. As for the ones who have said if your over 60 with a pre-existing condition, I feel for you, but if something does happen while you are here why should the Thai health care system be responsible for you?

There are policies that you can get I assure you, they are just very expensive.

If you were to arrive at the airport and at the immigration check point you had to present your passport, arrival card and proof of medical insurance to the immigration officer and if you don't have it they direct you to the booth selling it, so what. Not like Thailand would be unique on that policy.

Thing is with graft endemic in Thailand it WOULD be quite different, and I can see a change of government suddenly invalidating it's oppositions cronies insurance, and you get recharged for the NEW Crony Company to get it's share as a re-election payback perk. God so many ways this can be a boondoggle. In principle it IS a good idea. but in practice TIT.

Don't forget - "foreigners" include Indians and Chinese.

Don't be silly Briggsy, foriegners means just the important western nationalities that are represented and taking umbridge here in this thread, nothing else exists. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Don't worry about it, very unlikely to ever happen.

They have to keep coming up with these silly things to try to divert attention from the things that they don't want discussed, like rice, flood, 2.2trillion and such.

Look back and you will see that there is something almost every day then after a few days it is forgotten and they come up with something else stupid.

• Like 1

Smart card technology will take care of all these logistical problems. It's nothing more complicated than a swipe of a card and a validation code returned instantly.

It's only a question of time.

On the bright side smart card technology will make things even easier for travellers as the introduction of E-Gates at airports and the like will see us traversing through them a lot faster. Bring it on.

YOU PEOPLE AT THAI VISA should be more careful when writing headlines. Did the person who wrote it actually read the story.

Thaivisa does not write headlines, only report directly from the media site. If you have an issue then take it up with the original source. Don't know how many times that has to be said.

Pin that policy. wai.gif

Free Medical service !!!!!!!! Every time I have gone to a public hospital in Thailand I have had to pay for treatment undertaken where the hell do you get free medical service in Thailand someone tell me please !!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

country's state hospitals, which are required to provide foreigners with free medical service

So Chonburi General Hospital that charged me x00,000 baht for a stent procedure SHOULDN'T have. I'm requesting a refund.

This.

Will.

Never.

Happen.

Well go to any other country and they dont give you visa unless you have a full medical cover, case in point, Europe, Australias and Norther America... people have to buy insurance before applying for the visa, and there is no surety that once could actually get the visa and hence lose the money on the insurance cover.

Actually a compulsory Life Insurance for Tourists entering Thailand is more urgently needed.

It will do marvels for Tourism Industry here. tongue.png

Free cremations (if needed) could be offered with each package tour. smile.png

Welcome to Thailand!wai.gif We do have 'Laws', traffic included, but do please be aware that our laws are mostly unenforced (it's a cultural thing), particularly in the case of traffic violations. All other laws are enforced at our discretion/your ability to pay, (ssssh), and therefore, travel insurance, covering everything from a traffic violation, bogus or otherwise, to a claim of theft/assault, should most definitely be included in your home country's cover. And good luck with that smile.png

Way to possibly loose few million touriststhumbsup.gif

Personally i purchase all my tickets and hotels with my black master card which automatically gives me 6 months of health insurance while travelling,

So would i need to show them the booklets and translate it for themblink.png

Diamond Preferred has its privileges...wink.png

Don't forget - "foreigners" include Indians and Chinese.

Don't be silly Briggsy, foriegners means just the important western nationalities that are represented and taking umbridge here in this thread, nothing else exists. whistling.gif

Actually in this case it means ANYONE not THAI.

So I wonder how much Myanmar, Lao, and Cambo, citizens will get charged.

I believe Thailand should allow free basic and emergency health care to all people in government hospitals. (foreigner or Thai)

Most foreigners prefer to use private hospitals with English speaking staff.

I can't see many foreigners using a Thai government hospital, waiting and queuing with the general Thai population.

The extra expense to the country would be negligible, the positive publicity for the country would be invaluable.

Health care in Thailand is very cheap.

(If you avoid the foreigner scamming private hospitals that abound)

@Pacificperson

Private health care for Thai nationals (and foreigners employed with WP in Thailand) is a maximum 500bht/month, as a foreigner can you tell me why you think you should be charged more?

Assuming you are referring to "bakan sangkom" which is the mandatory insurance for thais and foreigners employed in private companies, it is not private. It is a public health insurance similar to the one enjoyed by government employees and the 30 baht scheme, although the 3 have different levels of benefits.

The cost of this insurance is currently 4% of your salary, but with a max of 15,000 baht/month salary, so maximum 4% of 15,000 = 600 baht. A similar amount is paid by the employer. This insurance does not cover on most private hospitals, but mainly on public hospitals.

Once you have left employment you may continue to pay your existing contribution and claim benefits forever.

Clearly the scheme isn't a huge loss maker, so again tell me why you think anyone should be charged more?

Who is saying you should be charged more? I seem to have missed that post....

The point is that you should have insurance. This is one type and would certainly fulfill that requirement. Unfortunately not everyone is able to get it, e.g. many retirees never worked in Thailand. These same people also often are unable to get private insurance due to age and/or pre-exisitng conditions and thereby is a major problem.

Of course some of the folk who end up unable to pay their hospital bills could have gotten insurance and either didn't bother or didn't even think of it. An astonishing (to me) number of expats just assume health care will be free here as it was for them at home, and don't look into the matter in advance.

Medical services here are so cheap already.

But if its like $20 for the insurance there shouldnt be any complaints.

I dont see it exceeding $50.

Medical service prices have skyrocketed in recent years and don't seem likely to stop,

Private insurance runs easily over USD $1,000 a year -- over $2,000/year if older. The $20-$50 option is only for those who qualify for the SS scheme which in turn is only those who have been legally employed for over a year and regularly paid into the system.

However the cost of private insurance (which is still reasonable compared to many countries) is the least of the problem, or should be. The problem is (1) some expats simply don't think to, or bother to, get insurance -- this, a visa requirement could solve, BUT (2) many long-term expats are unable to get a policy due to age and/or pre-existing conditions.

It would be feasible enough to require proof of insurance for issuance of a visa or extension of stay, and in theory an excellent idea, but unless such a requirement is matched by establishment of a system whereby expats of any age/state of health have a means of insuring themselves, it will cause chaos.

• Like 1

I got a bill at a Chiang Mai hospital for 5,000 bht. When my Thai girlfriend queried it they said it was for 500 bht and it was a slip of the pen. It is strange how these "slips of the pen" are always to their advantage. I have had to pay for everything medical in Thailand and yet Thais get everything medical free in the UK. This is unfair and smacks of discrimination. Surely,the respective governments can come to some kind of agreement.

Does this health insurance apply only to tourists or to retirement visa holders,too? If someone is very old they will have difficulty in getting health insurance. This could possibly mean they get booted out of Thailand.

I have just read that the UK government will no longer treat foreigners for free. They will save 33 million pounds a year.

Expat insurance requirement coupled with a provision for BUY IN for those who can't obtain private insurance: YIPPEE!!!clap2.gif

Expat insurance requirement without any provision for the uninsurable: Want to buy a condo CHEAP!!!w00t.gif

Edited by Jingthing

Free Medical service !!!!!!!! Every time I have gone to a public hospital in Thailand I have had to pay for treatment undertaken where the hell do you get free medical service in Thailand someone tell me please !!!!!!!!!!!

Public hospitals are heavily subsidised by the government, just like in most countries, so they prefer you to go to a private

hosipal...Why you visit a public hospital instead of a private one ????

Does any other country do this ?

Unless this was mandatory all over the world I cant see how Thailand can enforce such a law without invading my human right to

privacy, may be other breaches too..

If they do what they say and its legal then many countries will follow suit... Money to be made lol..

Also money to be lost through faulse claims..lost goods etc...

guess we have to wait n see...

Safe trip everybody...coffee1.gif

The Thai health care plan will amount to what Cambodian borders have already.. . Two Dollars to check up on you and you can refuse. If they think this is mandatory I can print my own health insurance cards. Lloyds of London is the best. Poor people go to Thailand for health tourism, and nobody else that isn't going to die in the near future cares. Nobody with any kind of self respect that can afford western hospitals would ever come over here to seek treatment.

Do they require a TB test or any medical check up for retirees over 50? How will they differentiate between different health care systems in different countries? In a small amount of all but a handful of an almost negligible amount of acceptable Thai hospitals will the typical insurance company actually pay? The best Thai hospital is hardly prestigious.

Thailand isn't exactly the hub of medical care for anybody with money. If you are having any kind of treatment in Thailand, it means... you can't afford a good place to seek treatment.

They will probably bundle the tax into the airline tickets to hide the fee. Land borders? Really?

Foreigners already pay for their own health care 100%. The government may be failing to keep their 30 Baht promise to their own people and need some money. I have never received free healthcare in thailand and this insurance scheme just gets people involved that don't need to be.

The Thai health care plan will amount to what Cambodian borders have already.. . Two Dollars to check up on you and you can refuse. If they think this is mandatory I can print my own health insurance cards. Lloyds of London is the best. Poor people go to Thailand for health tourism, and nobody else that isn't going to die in the near future cares. Nobody with any kind of self respect that can afford western hospitals would ever come over here to seek treatment.

Do they require a TB test or any medical check up for retirees over 50? How will they differentiate between different health care systems in different countries? In a small amount of all but a handful of an almost negligible amount of acceptable Thai hospitals will the typical insurance company actually pay? The best Thai hospital is hardly prestigious.

Thailand isn't exactly the hub of medical care for anybody with money. If you are having any kind of treatment in Thailand, it means... you can't afford a good place to seek treatment.

They will probably bundle the tax into the airline tickets to hide the fee. Land borders? Really?

Foreigners already pay for their own health care 100%. The government may be failing to keep their 30 Baht promise to their own people and need some money. I have never received free healthcare in thailand and this insurance scheme just gets people involved that don't need to be.

Oh dear, you really should do your research on medical care here in Thailand before you let your fingers get ahead of your brain!

Blue Cross/Blue Shiled of the US has an agreement with Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok whereby US insurance cases are handled at Bumrungrad and this has been an increasing stream of their business for several years, it seems that the standards of care at Bumrungrad are at least comparable to anything in the US from an insurance perspective and yes, the prices are/were lower. Bumrungrad and Bangkok Hospitals are also the prefered hospitals of choice for residents of many Middle Eastern countries, interesting this should be the case when closer hospitals include a range of American and European hospitals in the Gulf states which in themsleves are of a very high standard.

So no, medical care in Thailand is not the poor mans choice, it is very often the prefered choice and many people now travel a long way to take advantage of it.

• Like 1

I'd like to see data one way or another. I have yet to see ANY data regarding the number of farangs in government hospitals, nor data on farangs traveling for hospital care in TL.

Edit

1.6M foreigners treated Thai hospitals each year

500K (est) to be medical tourists

Still data mining..............

Edited by jamhar

I'd like to see data one way or another. I have yet to see ANY data regarding the number of farangs in govenment hospitals, nor data on farangs traveling for hospital care in TL.

Why not try google, there's plenty of data out there, the numbers are in the millions:

http://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/89/5/09-072249/en/