Those small roaster chickens in rimping supermarket?

jaideeguy

I've always wondered about those small roaster chickens in the fresh poultry chillers of Rimping supermarket. Are they just young chickens, or another breed like Cornish game hens??

And are they available in any other markets at a cheaper price??

Thanks in advance.........

If they are pinkish in colour ,they are just young chickens,

Cornish game hens are more darkish in colour and are

bantam chickens.

Dont know of another places that sell them of the top of my head

regards Worgeordie

Black chickens are now considered a Superfood for their antioxidant properties and are used in traditional Chinese medicine. Silkies have fluffy feather's unlike the local black chickens which I imagine are more like a soi chicken. Quails are much smaller. I wonder if the smaller roasters are not just bred smaller from less hormones, more like a 5 mnt old chicken from yesteryear, which would be better size to cook in a toaster oven too. Killing two birds with one stone?

• Like 1

mikemac, I'll be plucking my first black chicken or any for that matter when it grows bigger enough to eat in 4 mtns. I was wondering where your Mrs. Mikemac eats scorpions, it's one of the few things that I've had here and would like to try

"And why would a troll want to attack a forum topic about chicken ? Must be a slow day in the troll cave."

yeah, I was wondering the same thing. maybe he is a disgruntled vegetarian? Anyway, back to the small rimping chickens......white ones. They have the same coloration and shape as a bigger broiler......lots of meat for such a small bird and can feed 4 people with no waste. We do the regular 2 to 3 kilo broilers and it's just too much left over. The small ones are about 1 kilo, I would guess.

I have tried these black chickens, tried roasting first found to be a bit tough, so next tried braising slowly, used an oyster sauce to add a little flavour. Bloody Beautiful, a great meal indeed.

Usually used by Chinese in herbal soup. Has very nutritious value. Double boil or just normal soup, cooked in slow fire for at least an hour and half.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Choonpon

Tried cooking the "black" chickens several times and was very disappointed that only the skin is black. Anyway, they work best with slow cooking methods. Personally, I think it's a "gimmick" just like the "black pork" at Tops -- imported special from Japan (cha-ching!) But, if the little critters at Rim Ping really are Cornish hens, then you have some fine eating there.

Black chickens are now considered a Superfood for their antioxidant properties and are used in traditional Chinese medicine. Silkies have fluffy feather's unlike the local black chickens which I imagine are more like a soi chicken. Quails are much smaller. I wonder if the smaller roasters are not just bred smaller from less hormones, more like a 5 mnt old chicken from yesteryear, which would be better size to cook in a toaster oven too. Killing two birds with one stone?

black chicken are usually use for soup with chinese herbs... to improve your health..

actually, i am put off with the black color too... hahah...

you need to boil it for a long time to make it soft, i think..

no harm having black chicken..

Edited by eden8

I have been trying to "pluck" up the courage to try one of those black chickens but like as worgeordie said the colour puts me off. My wife says they are good eating, but she eats anything that slithers, flies or crawls. I don't take culinary advice from anyone who can eat 5 scorpions in a sitting.

Whenever we go shopping at Rimping, the one on the river near the Little Bridge, we always try to spend less than 1,000 baht. Have not been able to do it yet, some of the food there is very tempting, especially the long bread rolls.

And why would a troll want to attack a forum topic about chicken ? Must be a slow day in the troll cave.

"I don't take culinary advice from anyone who can eat 5 scorpions in a sitting"

Thanks for the good laugh. Quote of the day for me

@ junglechef - She "who can eat anything" usually buys the black scorpions from the hilltribe people who have stalls on the roadside. Also there is a hilltribe market on the right hand side of the highway about 20km past Lampang on Highway 11. When you leave Chiang Mai just follow Highway 11 for about 50km, you have to actually go past it for about 1km and then do a u-turn and come back. They sell everything you can imagine there, lots of creepy crawlies, the Isaan ladies love the place. Also they sell a good range of flowers, plants and trees cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems my OP got side tracked and I thought that I'd bring it back to life with a foto of one of those little birds in Rimping. I was in last week and bought one and had the wife ask the meat stocking boy, who referred us to one of the butchers. He said that they are just younger chickens that are slaughtered younger and says that they come from a CM farm. Still not sure about his answer as we know that most Thais will just tell you what they think you want to hear.

The price per kilo was 95 thb and the cute little bird weighed in at just under a kilo. I cut it in half along the back and then opened it up, then dusted it with garlic herbs and flour and fried it in my largest pan with a cover for half of the time, and uncovered to crisp it up at the end. Result was delicious, tender and juicy........

attached, I hope is a pic of the bird with a cigarette lighter as a reference for the size of it, which was about 1/2 or less the size of a regular roaster chicken.

post-7365-0-22840900-1374371467_thumb.jp

I have seen the BBQ small chickens around CM. There is [or used to be] a quite large restaurant just inside the moat [near the Chiang Puek gate] that had these chickens spinning on a rotisserie at super hi speeds using charcoal. The rotisserie held at least 50 of those small chickens and the owner an old man we used to call 'chicken man' could hardly keep up with the demand........long queues always waiting for his succulent chickens. He must have sold 500+ per night.

Anyway, still no info on where else to get them fresh/uncooked at non Rimping prices and would anyone know for certain IF they are just young fattened roasters or a different breed??

Could this be?? from wikipedia ............

Poussin (chicken)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
180px-Poussin.JPG
magnify-clip.png
A poussin ready for the oven

In Commonwealth countries, poussin (pronounced /ˈpsæn/ and sometimes, less commonly called coquelet) is a butcher's term for a young chicken, less than 28 days old at slaughter and usually weighing 400–450 grams (14–16 oz) but not above 750 grams (26 oz). It is sometimes also called spring chicken, although the term spring chicken usually refers to chickens weighing 750–850 grams (26–30 oz).

In the United States, poussin is an alternative name for a small-sized cross-breed chicken called Rock Cornish game hen, developed in the late 1950s, which is twice as old and twice as large as the typical British poussin.

Now, where to buy them??