what device to stream internet to a tv?

zeekgarcia

I am wanting to connect my tv directly to the internet without using a computer but I do not know what kind of device can do this?

I have hdmi inputs, component inputs, and vga inputs.

I also have a wireless router and it would be great to use a device that can connect wirelessly to the internet and the device connects directly into my tv.

Or if it is better to connect the device directly into my router then into my tv, please let me know.

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to clone or extend your PC screen onto the TV then HDMI would be the best and simplest if your graphics card supports it. Then you'd get sound through the TV as well. If you want to just stream AVI files and your TV has a LAN connection, connect the TV to your router and set windows streaming on (assuming Win7 here) and you'll get "Play To" in the right click menu on windows and files will be stramed directly over your home network.

I've made some assumption, to help you further we need to know a it more about the equipment you have such as router, TV model etc..

http://www.coolest-gadgets.com/20110112/television-internet-converter/

Myself have a very old laptop, have lots of sites with LIVE TV feeds saved, so if I want to watch something not on any Sat on my set top box switch on the laptop..

OR do you want to use your TV as a PC ? turn tv into internet browser http://www.google.com/search?q=turn+tv+into+internet+browser&revid=159513468&sa=X&ei=SbjPUf6YCoKTrgeos4GgAQ&ved=0CJoBENUCKAA

Edited by ignis

I have both HDMI Sticks and the airmote and they work well enough, can't imagine it being the right thing for someone who doesn't have too much computer knowledge.

Surely just a HDMI lead would suffice from his laptop?

Depends on what you want to do. If you just want to clone or extend your PC screen onto the TV then HDMI would be the best and simplest if your graphics card supports it. Then you'd get sound through the TV as well. If you want to just stream AVI files and your TV has a LAN connection, connect the TV to your router and set windows streaming on (assuming Win7 here) and you'll get "Play To" in the right click menu on windows and files will be stramed directly over your home network.

I've made some assumption, to help you further we need to know a it more about the equipment you have such as router, TV model etc..

Seriously, did you even read the op before typing all this out! biggrin.png

Basic tcl tv with component connection and one hdmi connection and I do have a wireless router. I want to watch videos on the internet with the tv and not use a computer with it. It would also be good if whatever would connect to the tv could use the wireless internet. Is this possible?

Edited by zeekgarcia

I have both HDMI Sticks and the airmote and they work well enough, can't imagine it being the right thing for someone who doesn't have too much computer knowledge.

Surely just a HDMI lead would suffice from his laptop?

I do not want to use a computer at all with this setup

I ordered one of those Android TV sticks last week from AliBaba and expect to get it in about a week (coming from China). Total cost US$82, free shipping.

Is this one of those android u tv boxes that Tesco Lotus sells?

Can you also tell us how well it works once you get it.

zeekgarcia,

You can go here;

http://www.geekbuying.com/Search/?keyword=mini+pc

And, look at a sampling of the Android devices available to you.

I have the first one on the list. And, enjoy playing with it. Quite portable. Wifi only. XMBC installed. And, acceptable video.

Obviously though, as you go up in price, the performance/options increase.

Would just add that, regardless of the price, your video streaming will still be at the mercy of your ISP connection.

Cheers